Question on tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
A was just wondering if there is a way to ask site admin why my account seems to only show me having written one tutorial rather than two. I wrote one tutorial and it credited it and then a few days later I wrote another but when I went and looked later on it was still only showing one. Then I went to find the first tutorial and either I accidentally posted it in the wrong section or it was moved by admin because it was no longer showing as a tutorial. Perhaps it was moved due to not being within the necessary criteria or something?

It seemed like it was fine to me and I couldn't find a similar post that would have made it redundant. Also, and this is weird, several times today when I clicked on Tutorials only two were coming up for the entire site. I deleted my temp internet files and refreshed several times to make sure it wasn't my browser but it kept doing it. Occasionally the full slate of them would show and other times it wouldn't. I even tried from different links to the tutorials area. Anyhow, I deleted the content of the first tutorial and renamed it with a request to delete the post and reposted it with certainty in the correct category but I still only show one tutorial. Do these need to be reviewed prior to approval or am I simply doing something wrong? Thanks.

Solution
if you are in the /tutorial/ section of the forum... instead of writing your topic with the quick window on the right instead push the "write a tutorial" button at the top of the page in the big red button. afaik other team members are eventually moving tutorials out of this section and into the propper categories once in awhile.

i did see the comment made by the other user and have since deleted it. i also deleted your response to it. while agreeable that he did have *somewhat* of a point to make he did not do so in the correct manner. if you ever have issues like that feel free to pm a moderator or use the report abuse button and we will take care of it.

if you do link to 3rd party software it must be clean, trusted and freeware...
if http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2235003/perform-diagnosis-windows-boot-logging.html and http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2235178/find-system-information.html are what you are talking about...

they were not submitted as tutorials, instead they were created as normal posts. a clear indication of this is having the quick-reply box at the bottom of a thread. all commenting is disabled for tutorials while it is enabled for normal threads.

this would explain why you do not have credit for the tutorials you submitted.

--

generally the only time a moderator will mess with a submitted tutorial are if it falls into one of the following categories:

-it was meant to be a question thread but accidentally was submitted as a tutorial (in which case we turn it into a thread)
-if the tutorial is very poorly written or gives blatantly bad information (in which case we turn it into a thread so that people will not get confused or use bad information)

Ok, so how do I avoid doing this in the unlikely even I create another one in the future after getting bashed by an "extremely helpful" veteran of Tom's? ( Not you) I made sure the box at the top said Tutorials and I even initiated the post from within the Tutorials category. I realize I'm relatively new here but new doesn't always equate to stupid like a few people seem to think, it just takes time to learn familiarity.

if you are in the /tutorial/ section of the forum... instead of writing your topic with the quick window on the right instead push the "write a tutorial" button at the top of the page in the big red button. afaik other team members are eventually moving tutorials out of this section and into the propper categories once in awhile.

i did see the comment made by the other user and have since deleted it. i also deleted your response to it. while agreeable that he did have *somewhat* of a point to make he did not do so in the correct manner. if you ever have issues like that feel free to pm a moderator or use the report abuse button and we will take care of it.

if you do link to 3rd party software it must be clean, trusted and freeware only. not saying that yours is not, just providing an fyi.

if he had so much trouble with "noobs" writing tutorials then he should have taken it upon himself to write one himself. its easy to complain when you arent the one doing the work. i do agree... being new on the forum does not mean that you are new to computers or mean that you know very little. badges and best answers only show that you've been around this website for awhile and have been helpful. thats it.

what he was talking about is formatting your post like this http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1932373/primary-secondary-dns-zones-dns-server.html post does. see how clean and professional it looks? this is ideally how tutorials should look. its much easier to read.

another example would be my own work in progress http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2155695/guide-headphones-headsets-microphones.html#13361362 although its quite a bit more complex than what you are doing. you really dont want to know how much work that one is though... its a doozy and will take me quite awhile to write up.

--

i'll give you a chance to look over your tutorials and spruce them up if you want.

when you are ready i can turn them into tutorial threads (any mod has this ability).

if you accidentally make them threads in the future you can use the report abuse button and write a note to the moderation team to fix it for you.

Solution
See, that's what I'm talking about. Respectful, tolerant, helpful, informative and most of all, receptive. I appreciate you taking the time to relate that information. I had not seen any of the tutorials that were even remotely as in depth as what you've got going there. I mean I realized that the articles here were, but not the tutorials. Thanks for that info and also handling that other matter. I don't understand why people can't act more like you did and less like snobs and jerks. That's the main reason people hate the forums. Forums are supposed to be there to help people who need help, which usually includes those who don't know how to do a particular thing, not folks who think they already know all there is to know. It's a give and take learning process and it is undermined by small or angry minded people. Anyhow. Thanks.

generally we like to keep the forum as you said:

respectfull, tolerant, helpful, informative and receptive.

however occassionaly a few members need to be reminded of this :p

generally we have a good group here and there arent too many troublemakers. the ones we do have are typically dealt with as situations demand.

--

thanks... that guide (and the other two i would like to start on/finish eventually) are quite a bit of work. the reason i'm making it is because we have had a huge rash of recent individuals asking about headphones and i happen to be one of the resident experts on that matter. instead of parroting the same information i can list the guide and then they can reply with their thoughts. that would save me lots of typing.... as you may have guessed my posts always run long.

Naw, that's a GOOD thing. The main problem I've noticed, again, with some of the more technically minded veterans, is that they are rather abrupt and assume that some of these folks asking for help will understand what they're talking about without having to hold their hand and walk them through it. But unfortunately that's exactly what has to be done in some cases. In other cases, the OP let's you know right away what their level of expertise is and then you can abbreviate your monologue appropriately. I think most people would prefer to be given too much information rather than not nearly enough.

I probably am guilty of long posts as well but I'm just trying to be somewhat thorough to the extent I'm able and then I'm happy to hand it off to somebody else. I guess it helps to also know your limitations and when you're not actually helping, stay out of it. Anyhow, again, your kind of contribution is well appreciated I'm sure by the community at large. I know it's appreciated by me. Thanks again. I'm sure you'll hear from me in the future, about something.

Status
Not open for further replies.