New Direct TV Tivo

We have recently purchased a new Direct TV Tivo for our main room, and
then moved our older tivo to the bedroom. The "profesional"
installation was for a single line box in the bedroom so we are not
getting all of the stations in the room now, what is the best way to
get the tivo box in the bedroom working correctly and is it something
that can be done fairly easily.... I have scene a couple of articles
here and there about a 2x4 multiswitch, was wondering if this is the
right direction to proceed...

Tom
10 answers Last reply
More about direct tivo

    On 16 Aug 2005 10:23:01 -0700, sanddog28@gmail.com wrote:

    > We have recently purchased a new Direct TV Tivo for our main room, and
    > then moved our older tivo to the bedroom. The "profesional"
    > installation was for a single line box in the bedroom so we are not
    > getting all of the stations in the room now, what is the best way to
    > get the tivo box in the bedroom working correctly and is it something
    > that can be done fairly easily.... I have scene a couple of articles
    > here and there about a 2x4 multiswitch, was wondering if this is the
    > right direction to proceed...
    >

    > Tom

    What stations aren't you getting? The only thing you don't get with a
    single line installation is the ability to record two shows at the same
    time. You should still be able to get every channel, unless there is a
    problem with the cabling.

    Brad H

    In article <1124212980.944005.35530@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    sanddog28@gmail.com wrote:

    > We have recently purchased a new Direct TV Tivo for our main room, and
    > then moved our older tivo to the bedroom. The "profesional"
    > installation was for a single line box in the bedroom so we are not
    > getting all of the stations in the room now, what is the best way to
    > get the tivo box in the bedroom working correctly and is it something
    > that can be done fairly easily.... I have scene a couple of articles
    > here and there about a 2x4 multiswitch, was wondering if this is the
    > right direction to proceed...
    >

    > Tom

    Yes. If you call up DirecTv and negotiate well, they will come install
    it free.

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:36:35 -0400, Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > In article <1124212980.944005.35530@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > sanddog28@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> We have recently purchased a new Direct TV Tivo for our main room, and
    >> then moved our older tivo to the bedroom. The "profesional"
    >> installation was for a single line box in the bedroom so we are not
    >> getting all of the stations in the room now, what is the best way to
    >> get the tivo box in the bedroom working correctly and is it something
    >> that can be done fairly easily.... I have scene a couple of articles
    >> here and there about a 2x4 multiswitch, was wondering if this is the
    >> right direction to proceed...
    >>

    >> Tom
    >
    > Yes. If you call up DirecTv and negotiate well, they will come install
    > it free.

    Quite true. I recently received a free second DirectTiVo, with free
    installation which included replacing my 2x4 multiswitch with a 2x8 switch
    and a new dish (my old dish/lnbs wouldn't work with the new switch). They
    also included 3 months free Showtime. I didn't even have to negotiate,
    this was all offered to me in exchange for an additional 1 year commitment
    for their Total Choice package (the mid-level package, not the premium
    package)

    --
    James Howe

    Contact: http://public.xdi.org/=James.Howe

    sanddog28@gmail.com wrote:
    > We have recently purchased a new Direct TV Tivo for our main room, and
    > then moved our older tivo to the bedroom. The "profesional"
    > installation was for a single line box in the bedroom so we are not
    > getting all of the stations in the room now

    If you have only one line connected to your DirecTiVo but your
    box is set for two lines, then you will have problems when it
    tries to uses the nonexistent second line for certain channels.

    only one line now. Then all channels should be visible.
    -Joe

    Thanks for all the help guys... appears when we relocated to Orlando
    the technician that came to install the new dish and reconnect our
    original tivo that he didn't take the time to actually do his job,
    system was still set to a 3lnb oval dish that we had in Seattle... nice
    service call, i ran through the default setup screen and we are viewing
    all the channels just fine now...Now getting the second line so we can
    record at the same time as watching other things... as for the free
    setup i did speak with the customer service technician and he stated
    that we were and existing customer and that since we were moving the
    older unit to the bedroom that there would be a $100 fee for adding the
    additional line "standard charge" so what i am wondering is if i call
    and state that we bought the new tivo unit for the bedroom would i be
    eligible for the free installation, if not i guess i will be in the
    attic myself attempting to add the multiswitch and run the second line.

    I think our biggest problem here is that we actually bought the new
    unit at Cricuit City(instant gratification) instead of calling Direct
    TV, the rebate still applies so we are getting basically for the cost
    of sales tax... but the installation is proving to be our problem, the
    lack of the second line in our bedroom is the next hurdle.

    In article <1124369702.846289.139190@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "Sanddog28" <sanddog28@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for all the help guys... appears when we relocated to Orlando
    > the technician that came to install the new dish and reconnect our
    > original tivo that he didn't take the time to actually do his job,
    > system was still set to a 3lnb oval dish that we had in Seattle... nice
    > service call, i ran through the default setup screen and we are viewing
    > all the channels just fine now...Now getting the second line so we can
    > record at the same time as watching other things... as for the free
    > setup i did speak with the customer service technician and he stated
    > that we were and existing customer and that since we were moving the
    > older unit to the bedroom that there would be a $100 fee for adding the
    > additional line "standard charge" so what i am wondering is if i call
    > and state that we bought the new tivo unit for the bedroom would i be
    > eligible for the free installation, if not i guess i will be in the
    > attic myself attempting to add the multiswitch and run the second line.

    That's total BS. If this is through DirecTv, COMPLAIN long and hard. The
    local installer is trying to rip you off.

    In article
    <jackzwick-DAA8ED.09012118082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com>,
    Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > In article <1124369702.846289.139190@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > "Sanddog28" <sanddog28@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for all the help guys... appears when we relocated to Orlando
    > > the technician that came to install the new dish and reconnect our
    > > original tivo that he didn't take the time to actually do his job,
    > > system was still set to a 3lnb oval dish that we had in Seattle... nice
    > > service call, i ran through the default setup screen and we are viewing
    > > all the channels just fine now...Now getting the second line so we can
    > > record at the same time as watching other things... as for the free
    > > setup i did speak with the customer service technician and he stated
    > > that we were and existing customer and that since we were moving the
    > > older unit to the bedroom that there would be a $100 fee for adding the
    > > additional line "standard charge" so what i am wondering is if i call
    > > and state that we bought the new tivo unit for the bedroom would i be
    > > eligible for the free installation, if not i guess i will be in the
    > > attic myself attempting to add the multiswitch and run the second line.
    >
    > That's total BS. If this is through DirecTv, COMPLAIN long and hard. The
    > local installer is trying to rip you off.

    Yes, you need to watch those outside contractors like a hawk.
    Because i wasn't there, my first installation of DirecTV was terrible,
    and I ended up hiring another guy to fix it.

    I would have had another shoddy installation when I switched to
    DirecTivo if I hadn't followed the guy around to get him to properly
    route the wire and place the dish. (he bitched and moaned the entire
    time) They want the easiest and fastest for them, not what would be
    necessarily the best for you. They also would rather string cable all
    around the outside of your house (like tacky Christmas tree lights) than
    run it in a more direct way through your attic, to get to another room.

    In article <21n5e3khjubp.1y1fss7qb4oqi.dlg@40tude.net>,
    bradDOThouser@intel.com says...

    > What stations aren't you getting? The only thing you don't get with a
    > single line installation is the ability to record two shows at the same
    > time. You should still be able to get every channel, unless there is a
    > problem with the cabling.
    >
    > Brad H

    Theoretically, one would actually need 3 incoming lines (2 sat and 1
    ANT), or 2 lines, with one having the ANT overlapped onto it by way
    of a diplexer pair. You'd then use another diplexer at the receiver
    to again have the 3 necessary inputs.

    The OP needs to take a close look at his incoming 'single line' and
    see if there is a diplexer on it. If there isn't (and there probably
    isn't), that would explain his complete lack of signal on the local
    channels ANT.

    Chuck

    In article
    <op.svnkppfhhvb1t6@eaglefeather.riskmetrics-aa.riskmetrics.com>,
    "James Howe" <newgroups@wingspread.imap-mail.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:36:35 -0400, Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1124212980.944005.35530@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > > sanddog28@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > >> We have recently purchased a new Direct TV Tivo for our main room, and
    > >> then moved our older tivo to the bedroom. The "profesional"
    > >> installation was for a single line box in the bedroom so we are not
    > >> getting all of the stations in the room now, what is the best way to
    > >> get the tivo box in the bedroom working correctly and is it something
    > >> that can be done fairly easily.... I have scene a couple of articles
    > >> here and there about a 2x4 multiswitch, was wondering if this is the
    > >> right direction to proceed...
    > >>

    > >> Tom
    > >
    > > Yes. If you call up DirecTv and negotiate well, they will come install
    > > it free.
    >
    > Quite true. I recently received a free second DirectTiVo, with free
    > installation which included replacing my 2x4 multiswitch with a 2x8 switch
    > and a new dish (my old dish/lnbs wouldn't work with the new switch). They
    > also included 3 months free Showtime. I didn't even have to negotiate,
    > this was all offered to me in exchange for an additional 1 year commitment
    > for their Total Choice package (the mid-level package, not the premium
    > package)

    DirecTv is now saddling customers with 2 year commitment with a HR10-250.

Ptv Tivo Tivo TV Video