Tivo Started To Studder In The Last Two Days...

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Here is an odd one. In the last two days my Tivo has started to
studder, las if the pause button is pushed for a 10th of a second. If
I backwind it, the playback is fine.

Philips Series 2 DSR704 Software Version 6.2-01-2-301
Both inputs read in the high 90's for signal strenght.

This is both in Live TV and Newly Recorded shows. Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced for the help!
---TheDoctor
15 answers Last reply
More about tivo started studder days
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <n609g11pjhbvlplpo6ijltne0igo56crnd@4ax.com>,
    TheDoctor <TheDoctor@aol.com> wrote:

    > Here is an odd one. In the last two days my Tivo has started to
    > studder, las if the pause button is pushed for a 10th of a second. If
    > I backwind it, the playback is fine.
    >
    > Philips Series 2 DSR704 Software Version 6.2-01-2-301
    > Both inputs read in the high 90's for signal strenght.
    >
    > This is both in Live TV and Newly Recorded shows. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advanced for the help!

    Hard drive could be getting ready to die.

    Check diagnostics at www.weaknees.com
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "TheDoctor" <TheDoctor@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:n609g11pjhbvlplpo6ijltne0igo56crnd@4ax.com...
    > Here is an odd one. In the last two days my Tivo has started to
    > studder, las if the pause button is pushed for a 10th of a second. If
    > I backwind it, the playback is fine.
    >
    > Philips Series 2 DSR704 Software Version 6.2-01-2-301
    > Both inputs read in the high 90's for signal strenght.
    >
    > This is both in Live TV and Newly Recorded shows. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advanced for the help!
    > ---TheDoctor

    How old is the unit? It sounds like the HD is going. If so, it won't get
    any better. You'll need to replace the drive or the whole unit.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <dntNe.24102$Rm3.23411@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    "mad NATer" <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote:

    > "TheDoctor" <TheDoctor@aol.com> wrote in message
    > news:n609g11pjhbvlplpo6ijltne0igo56crnd@4ax.com...
    > > Here is an odd one. In the last two days my Tivo has started to
    > > studder, las if the pause button is pushed for a 10th of a second. If
    > > I backwind it, the playback is fine.
    > >
    > > Philips Series 2 DSR704 Software Version 6.2-01-2-301
    > > Both inputs read in the high 90's for signal strenght.
    > >
    > > This is both in Live TV and Newly Recorded shows. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advanced for the help!
    > > ---TheDoctor
    >
    > How old is the unit? It sounds like the HD is going. If so, it won't get
    > any better. You'll need to replace the drive or the whole unit.

    2-3 years of moderate use is the figure I heard from a DirecTivo tech.
    $50 will get you a replacement (prepaid exchange with FedEx picking the
    old one up from you) from them. Just did mine.
    Note: there is fine print- 2 year commitment and they did charge 14.95
    shipping + sales tax. Even with all that, I got it overnight and it was
    plug-and-play. Hassle-free. Do it before the drive gets worse.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Thanks for the great info. I'm surprised they don't offer some built
    in drive diagnostics or formating tools. Oddly the problem has gone
    away but I'm off loading my videos just incase the end is near for
    this drive.

    Thanks Again,
    ---TheDoctor

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:25:26 -0700, Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <dntNe.24102$Rm3.23411@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    > "mad NATer" <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "TheDoctor" <TheDoctor@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> news:n609g11pjhbvlplpo6ijltne0igo56crnd@4ax.com...
    >> > Here is an odd one. In the last two days my Tivo has started to
    >> > studder, las if the pause button is pushed for a 10th of a second. If
    >> > I backwind it, the playback is fine.
    >> >
    >> > Philips Series 2 DSR704 Software Version 6.2-01-2-301
    >> > Both inputs read in the high 90's for signal strenght.
    >> >
    >> > This is both in Live TV and Newly Recorded shows. Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advanced for the help!
    >> > ---TheDoctor
    >>
    >> How old is the unit? It sounds like the HD is going. If so, it won't get
    >> any better. You'll need to replace the drive or the whole unit.
    >
    >2-3 years of moderate use is the figure I heard from a DirecTivo tech.
    >$50 will get you a replacement (prepaid exchange with FedEx picking the
    >old one up from you) from them. Just did mine.
    >Note: there is fine print- 2 year commitment and they did charge 14.95
    >shipping + sales tax. Even with all that, I got it overnight and it was
    >plug-and-play. Hassle-free. Do it before the drive gets worse.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <vogeg1969j9hmkiqa19vlv7sdi6290lqdl@4ax.com>,
    TheDoctor <TheDoctor@aol.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for the great info. I'm surprised they don't offer some built
    > in drive diagnostics or formating tools. Oddly the problem has gone
    > away but I'm off loading my videos just incase the end is near for
    > this drive.
    >
    > Thanks Again,
    > ---TheDoctor
    >
    > On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:25:26 -0700, Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <dntNe.24102$Rm3.23411@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    > > "mad NATer" <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "TheDoctor" <TheDoctor@aol.com> wrote in message
    > >> news:n609g11pjhbvlplpo6ijltne0igo56crnd@4ax.com...
    > >> > Here is an odd one. In the last two days my Tivo has started to
    > >> > studder, las if the pause button is pushed for a 10th of a second. If
    > >> > I backwind it, the playback is fine.
    > >> >
    > >> > Philips Series 2 DSR704 Software Version 6.2-01-2-301
    > >> > Both inputs read in the high 90's for signal strenght.
    > >> >
    > >> > This is both in Live TV and Newly Recorded shows. Any ideas?
    > >> >
    > >> > Thanks in advanced for the help!
    > >> > ---TheDoctor
    > >>
    > >> How old is the unit? It sounds like the HD is going. If so, it won't get
    > >> any better. You'll need to replace the drive or the whole unit.
    > >
    > >2-3 years of moderate use is the figure I heard from a DirecTivo tech.
    > >$50 will get you a replacement (prepaid exchange with FedEx picking the
    > >old one up from you) from them. Just did mine.
    > >Note: there is fine print- 2 year commitment and they did charge 14.95
    > >shipping + sales tax. Even with all that, I got it overnight and it was
    > >plug-and-play. Hassle-free. Do it before the drive gets worse.

    My problem started out infrequently, then just got worse over a couple
    months.
    They allow you 30 days (they say 7 days in one place, but 30 seems to be
    the cutoff before slapping you with a big fee) to make the switch and
    have your old unit returned. They also bill you rather than have you pay
    on the spot.
    Yes, too bad about the lack of diagnostics built in.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote in news:labolide-F19B64.19252619082005
    @news.giganews.com:

    > 2-3 years of moderate use is the figure I heard from a DirecTivo tech.

    My next question would have been "What is 'moderate use' on a device where
    the drive is constantly spinning?".

    --
    Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
    stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
    I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
    no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <Xns96B86D9914874stile@129.250.170.90>,
    Howard <stile99@email.com> wrote:

    > Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote in news:labolide-F19B64.19252619082005
    > @news.giganews.com:
    >
    > > 2-3 years of moderate use is the figure I heard from a DirecTivo tech.
    >
    > My next question would have been "What is 'moderate use' on a device where
    > the drive is constantly spinning?".

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hard drive is working harder if you
    watch all your TV as recorded programs as I do.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On 2005-08-20, Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <Xns96B86D9914874stile@129.250.170.90>,
    > Howard <stile99@email.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote in news:labolide-F19B64.19252619082005
    >> @news.giganews.com:
    >>
    >> > 2-3 years of moderate use is the figure I heard from a DirecTivo tech.
    >>
    >> My next question would have been "What is 'moderate use' on a device where
    >> the drive is constantly spinning?".
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hard drive is working harder if you
    > watch all your TV as recorded programs as I do.

    Ok, you're wrong. Makes no difference. Everything you watch makes the
    hard drive work the same amount.

    --
    This is my .sig
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote in
    news:labolide-F190E5.16473520082005@news.giganews.com:

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hard drive is working harder if you
    > watch all your TV as recorded programs as I do.

    EVERYTHING you watch on TiVo is a recorded program. Including "Live TV".
    The hard drive neither knows nor cares if the screen is on or not.

    --
    Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
    stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
    I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
    no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <Xns96B8D0E0F6BF5stile@129.250.170.92>,
    Howard <stile99@email.com> wrote:

    > Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote in
    > news:labolide-F190E5.16473520082005@news.giganews.com:
    >
    > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hard drive is working harder if you
    > > watch all your TV as recorded programs as I do.
    >
    > EVERYTHING you watch on TiVo is a recorded program. Including "Live TV".
    > The hard drive neither knows nor cares if the screen is on or not.

    Yes, but more activity is going to cause the hard drive to accessing
    more sectors on the drive.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On 2005-08-21, Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <Xns96B8D0E0F6BF5stile@129.250.170.92>,
    > Howard <stile99@email.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote in
    >> news:labolide-F190E5.16473520082005@news.giganews.com:
    >>
    >> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hard drive is working harder if you
    >> > watch all your TV as recorded programs as I do.
    >>
    >> EVERYTHING you watch on TiVo is a recorded program. Including "Live TV".
    >> The hard drive neither knows nor cares if the screen is on or not.
    >
    > Yes, but more activity is going to cause the hard drive to accessing
    > more sectors on the drive.

    What you using as 'more activity'? If it is equal to "time", then yes,
    the longer your TiVo is on, the more sectors on the drive will get
    accessed.

    If you are using 'more activity' as recording more shows, I don't think
    your assumption is correct. Based on my 'undelete' function from TiVoWeb,
    I would guess it uses all the sectors on the harddrive equally.

    --
    This is my .sig
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Kurt wrote:

    >>EVERYTHING you watch on TiVo is a recorded program. Including "Live TV".
    >>The hard drive neither knows nor cares if the screen is on or not.
    >
    > Yes, but more activity is going to cause the hard drive to accessing
    > more sectors on the drive.

    When not in standby, there are three data streams, one for each tuner
    and one for playback. Granted, the amount of seeking from cylinder
    to cylinder is reduced when playback is live or close to live.
    But with two streams recording, it makes little difference whether
    you're watching a recorded program or not.
    -Joe
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:11gfrt5ncfkerf5@corp.supernews.com...
    > > Yes, but more activity is going to cause the hard drive to accessing
    > > more sectors on the drive.
    >
    > What you using as 'more activity'? If it is equal to "time", then yes,
    > the longer your TiVo is on, the more sectors on the drive will get
    > accessed.
    >
    > If you are using 'more activity' as recording more shows, I don't think
    > your assumption is correct. Based on my 'undelete' function from TiVoWeb,
    > I would guess it uses all the sectors on the harddrive equally.


    Would "more activity" be the case if you are watching a previously recorded
    program while recording another *and also* transferring something from
    another TiVo over to this one?

    In other words should I not be recording/watching/transferring all at the
    same time? My oldest unit has had a couple of glitchy moments lately.


    --
    Toni
    http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <5uqdnRKzjpDnx5XeRVn-1A@comcast.com>,
    Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:

    > Kurt wrote:
    >
    > >>EVERYTHING you watch on TiVo is a recorded program. Including "Live TV".
    > >>The hard drive neither knows nor cares if the screen is on or not.
    > >
    > > Yes, but more activity is going to cause the hard drive to accessing
    > > more sectors on the drive.
    >
    > When not in standby, there are three data streams, one for each tuner
    > and one for playback. Granted, the amount of seeking from cylinder
    > to cylinder is reduced when playback is live or close to live.
    > But with two streams recording, it makes little difference whether
    > you're watching a recorded program or not.
    > -Joe

    But then it would depend how much you record.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Kurt wrote:

    >>When not in standby, there are three data streams, one for each tuner
    >>and one for playback. Granted, the amount of seeking from cylinder
    >>to cylinder is reduced when playback is live or close to live.
    >>But with two streams recording, it makes little difference whether
    >>you're watching a recorded program or not.
    >> -Joe
    >
    >
    > But then it would depend how much you record.

    When not in standby, the TiVo is *always* recording.

    Recording something from the To Do list, recording a suggestion,
    or recording into the 30-minutes buffers. So, it makes no
    difference whether you've requested a recording or not; there
    are always two streams of video being recorded.
    -Joe
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video