Laserdisc Player Durability

I have bought 2 Laserdisc players from 2 different sellers in Ebay and
they are both broken when I received it. The model numbers are Pioneer
CLD-D702 and CLD-D504. Both players were packaged properly. I don't
think the seller sold me broken item as they are both have very good
feedbacks and they refunded my money plus shipping both ways. Are
laserdisc players that delicate?? Which model should I buy that is more
durable?

Hendra
10 answers Last reply
More about laserdisc player durability

    They have to be packed good or even doubled boxed, they should also be
    powered down correctly.

    Duane
    u1000393@email.sjsu.edu wrote:
    > I have bought 2 Laserdisc players from 2 different sellers in Ebay and
    > they are both broken when I received it. The model numbers are Pioneer
    > CLD-D702 and CLD-D504. Both players were packaged properly. I don't
    > think the seller sold me broken item as they are both have very good
    > feedbacks and they refunded my money plus shipping both ways. Are
    > laserdisc players that delicate?? Which model should I buy that is more
    > durable?
    >
    > Hendra

    I've received dozens of players over the years. Top notch packing is the
    key. Also, speedy shipping helps.
    UPS guidelines call for a minimum of 3 inches of big bubbled bubble
    wrap for the player, and double boxing is ideal.
    Really, the original manufacturer's carton as the inner box, really
    goes along way to preventing damage.
    I can't recall having received a broken player that was shipped in the
    original manufacturer's carton.
    Very old players should have the transit screw in the back installed,
    newer players need to be powered down correctly so that the laser pickup
    is "parked" properly.
    Kevin

    What's wrong with the players? If packed properly these can ship just fine.
    Maybe you should just consider fixing one of these.

    Kurtis

    <u1000393@email.sjsu.edu> wrote in message
    >I have bought 2 Laserdisc players from 2 different sellers in Ebay and
    > they are both broken when I received it. The model numbers are Pioneer
    > CLD-D702 and CLD-D504. Both players were packaged properly. I don't
    > think the seller sold me broken item as they are both have very good
    > feedbacks and they refunded my money plus shipping both ways. Are
    > laserdisc players that delicate?? Which model should I buy that is more
    > durable?
    >
    > Hendra

    Good point with the pickup "parking". The correct sequence is written
    in the manual, if any. Example for the DVL-909: first press the power
    button on the remote control, then power down the device with the main
    switch. From my experience, the DVL-9x combo players are often affected
    by transport damage.

    Good point with the pickup parking. The correct sequence is described
    in the user manual, if any. Example for the DVL-909: first press the
    power button on the remote control to set the DVL into stand-by -
    second: switch off the device with the main switch. By the way: the
    DVL-9x (and maybe several other combo players) seem to be sensitive to
    shock, and affected by transport damages very often.

    The CLD-D504's LD tray didn't work at all. When I pressed the eject
    button, it said open and then it said E3 on the TV screen. The CLD-D702
    couldn't play any disc. When I pressed the play button, it said play
    for like a second and then it said stop on TV screen. Apparantely, the
    motors for both players were dead, probably due to rough handling
    during shipping.

    Hendra

    The players were shipped by UPS Ground and USPS Parcel Post. It took
    about one week and two weeks to arrive.

    Hendra

    Sounds like you have been very unlucky, either that or the players
    were not powered down properly.

    I have just shipped a CLD-2950 to Finland, from the UK ParcleForce got
    it there in UNDER 24 hrs! - Good Job!). Was in original box and then
    further padded with bubble wrap. It got there fine.

    For the record the power down procedure of nearly all modern LD
    players is to power down the player with the power button on the unit.
    Wait for all head movement to stop and for the the LCD display to go
    off. Then simply pull the power cord out.

    I hope you have better luck in the future.

    For the record what companies were used to ship your players?

    Ray.

    On 18 Aug 2005 10:34:11 -0700, u1000393@email.sjsu.edu wrote:

    >I have bought 2 Laserdisc players from 2 different sellers in Ebay and
    >they are both broken when I received it. The model numbers are Pioneer
    >CLD-D702 and CLD-D504. Both players were packaged properly. I don't
    >think the seller sold me broken item as they are both have very good
    >feedbacks and they refunded my money plus shipping both ways. Are
    >laserdisc players that delicate?? Which model should I buy that is more
    >durable?
    >
    >Hendra

    Actually, I already sent both players back to the sellers. Thanks for
    your offer!

    Hendra

    I would be interested in looking at the 504 for you if interested. I am
    leaving for vacation Saturday for one week. You can Email me at
    kbahr@comcast.net if interested.

    > The CLD-D504's LD tray didn't work at all. When I pressed the eject
    > button, it said open and then it said E3 on the TV screen. The CLD-D702
    > couldn't play any disc. When I pressed the play button, it said play
    > for like a second and then it said stop on TV screen. Apparantely, the
    > motors for both players were dead, probably due to rough handling
    > during shipping.
    >
    > Hendra

Laser Disc Players Video