Two hard drivers stopped working completely

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I was using NAS Lacie Big Network Space Max 4TB. Problems started with failing to start, but after RESETTING it used to work. At some point the NAS stopped working completely.

I am trying to recover the data on the drives, but I don't manage to connect it anywhere.
Both of the drives are the following model: SEAGATE Barracuda LP st2000dl001.

I tried to connect it to a PC, then the computer doesn't even turn on. like the PSU fails.
Another attempt was to connect it to a external hard drive enclosure and it didn't turn on neither, again like no power.

I would understand if the problem would happen to one of the drives, but since it happens with both drives, I am a bit suspicious...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Does the NAS turn on with no drives installed? I've had issues with PC's not turning on of not working properly if there is a failed hard drive. usually an issue with the PCB on the hard drive.

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I just tried and it flashes blue and red. Probably it cannot work without drives inside.

However, please note that I also tried connecting the drives to another PC and to external hard drive enclosure and nothing worked also..

Any way we can confirm the problem of the PCB?

it could be something that shorted them out or another issue that caused them both to go at the same time. I've had PC's with a Hard drive and a DVD Drive both go out. Dead. nada and the PC won't start with them plugged in at all. it probably wasn't an issue with the drive it was probably something else. Maybe an issue with the NAS.

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
This is crazy.. what is the purpose of all these NAS with all their crazy backup systems, RAID and what not. everything dies anyway.. really disappointed

well if you had a good drive of the same exact model you could switch them but be careful. I can't guarantee that it will work or it won't break it more.

And yes its suppost to help against stuff like this but RAID isn't a backup. Its designed (except for RAID 0) to keep a system up and running until a failed drive is replaced. You should ALWAYS have an offline and/or offsite backup of your important data. I keep backups of all my stuff and keep it locked away in a fire proof safe. Then my REALLY important stuff gets backed up to my web server daily like my phone backups which are daily as well.

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Yes, I know. I Dropbox and Google Drive personal stuff.
All the stuff on the NAS is just collections of stuff mainly that I downloaded and can download again, but that's also a big loss for me.

I meant that you do RAID it duplicates data, so you won't lose it, if one of the hard drives fails. seems like it's pointless.

I don't have another drive like that... I mean what's the chance :) any other way I can test it?