Contant IPG Failures

Are others still have trouble loading the IPG?

My IPG has been in trouble for over a week. The 905 is only doing a partial
load and usually only 2 - 4 hrs. Then it may not load the program
description. It takes 5 - 10 to minutes trying load. Sometimes I have to do
it 3 times before it takes. Then if the description doen't, load I have to
repeat the process all over again and that my take up to 3 tries. I have
spent as much as an hour trying to get it to load, and when it does it is
only a few hours of IPG.

Any one else having these problems? I live in MPLS and usually have a signal
strength in the high 90's but the qual level is in the upper 60's to lower
70's, and this is where it has always been, even when the IPG was working OK.
The picture and sound are always good on the program being watched. So why
can't the IPG load?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

uH
20 answers Last reply
More about contant ipg failures
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    RA-5C checking in the the same damn problem. I actually downloaded 2 days worth
    of programming over night. All of this makes me wonder if the IPG problem is some
    how connected to the 4th main fuel tank sensor on the Shuttle. Bet if all of the
    subscribers were to call in on the same day and cancel that it would get fixed.

    Micro Henry wrote:

    > Are others still have trouble loading the IPG?
    >
    > My IPG has been in trouble for over a week. The 905 is only doing a partial
    > load and usually only 2 - 4 hrs. Then it may not load the program
    > description. It takes 5 - 10 to minutes trying load. Sometimes I have to do
    > it 3 times before it takes. Then if the description doen't, load I have to
    > repeat the process all over again and that my take up to 3 tries. I have
    > spent as much as an hour trying to get it to load, and when it does it is
    > only a few hours of IPG.
    >
    > Any one else having these problems? I live in MPLS and usually have a signal
    > strength in the high 90's but the qual level is in the upper 60's to lower
    > 70's, and this is where it has always been, even when the IPG was working OK.
    > The picture and sound are always good on the program being watched. So why
    > can't the IPG load?
    >
    > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > uH
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    RA-5C wrote:

    > RA-5C checking in the the same damn problem. I actually downloaded 2 days
    > worth of programming over night. All of this makes me wonder if the IPG
    > problem is some how connected to the 4th main fuel tank sensor on the
    > Shuttle. Bet if all of the subscribers were to call in on the same day and
    > cancel that it would get fixed.

    I bet they'd thank God to be rid of us.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I've been having the same trouble too. I have a 922
    Jerry
    "Micro Henry" <uH@MyServer.Loc> wrote in message
    > Are others still have trouble loading the IPG?
    >
    > My IPG has been in trouble for over a week. The 905 is only doing a
    > partial
    > load and usually only 2 - 4 hrs. Then it may not load the program
    > description. It takes 5 - 10 to minutes trying load. Sometimes I have to
    > do
    > it 3 times before it takes. Then if the description doen't, load I have
    > repeat the process all over again and that my take up to 3 tries. I have
    > spent as much as an hour trying to get it to load, and when it does it is
    > only a few hours of IPG.
    >
    > Any one else having these problems? I live in MPLS and usually have a
    > signal
    > strength in the high 90's but the qual level is in the upper 60's to lower
    > 70's, and this is where it has always been, even when the IPG was working
    > OK.
    > The picture and sound are always good on the program being watched. So
    > why
    > can't the IPG load?
    >
    > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > uH

  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I have a peculiar problem,although a minor one.
    On my 4DTV model 920,my clock keeps resetting itself to Alaskan Daylight
    Time,when I am in the Pacific Time Zone.It has done this 4 times in the
    past month.It is getting ridiculous to have to keep calling my
    programmer to have it reset.The west coast ACC says they have me in
    their database as being on Pacific Daylight Time,so why does it keep
    bumping back an hour? It does this when my dish swings to G1 to do
    automatic updates at 2AM.
    Other than that,my guide seems to be loading the IPG normally.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    SAC441 wrote:

    > <Snipped>
    > ....., my guide seems to be loading the IPG normally.

    If you are getting the IPG OK then there must be a signal strength/quality
    issue here in the Midwest(MPLS). It's been hot here, 90's, but not as hot as
    the SouthWest(100 - 110). Today, cold weather has arrived. It's 55 degress
    and may get to 70. So if temp and humidity are the cause, it should load
    fine today. Otherwise I am back to LNB and receiver issues.

    uH
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I am in the Pacific Northwest.The temperatures here have been averaging
    about 76°,with the highest recorded temperature at my location at
    88°.While it is warm,it is certainly not scorching like where you are
    at.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    SAC441 wrote:

    > I am in the Pacific Northwest.The temperatures here have been averaging
    > about 76°,with the highest recorded temperature at my location at
    > 88°.While it is warm,it is certainly not scorching like where you are
    > at.

    Well, it got done to 55 last night when I tried to reload the IPG. It still
    had the same problem. Is G1 one of the last satellites to be replaced? It
    seems like all the transponders have lower output/signal strength then G5,
    G10, AMC11 for instance.

    I still think there is an uplink problem. I get such good reception, it's
    had to accept the LNB or receiver as the problem. I never had IPG trouble
    until they moved it to G1. G10 has good solid signal with qual levels at 99+
    for all channels. AMC11 has quals of 90+. G1 struggles to get a qual of 70.
    However G1-3 the IPG channel did have a qual of 83 this morning.

    Anyway, lower outside temps did not improve my IPG problem.

    uH
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I am in the Twin Cities and have a 922. I have been getting the IPG updates
    all along. NPS is my program provider. We also had a 6 hour power failure
    with the thunderstorms last Saturday and the guide reloaded fine after that
    event. Hope this info helps.

    > SAC441 wrote:
    >
    >> I am in the Pacific Northwest.The temperatures here have been averaging
    >> about 76°,with the highest recorded temperature at my location at
    >> 88°.While it is warm,it is certainly not scorching like where you are
    >> at.
    >>

    > Well, it got done to 55 last night when I tried to reload the IPG. It
    > still
    > had the same problem. Is G1 one of the last satellites to be replaced?
    > It
    > seems like all the transponders have lower output/signal strength then G5,
    > G10, AMC11 for instance.
    >
    > I still think there is an uplink problem. I get such good reception, it's
    > had to accept the LNB or receiver as the problem. I never had IPG trouble
    > until they moved it to G1. G10 has good solid signal with qual levels at
    > 99+
    > for all channels. AMC11 has quals of 90+. G1 struggles to get a qual of
    > 70.
    > However G1-3 the IPG channel did have a qual of 83 this morning.
    >
    > Anyway, lower outside temps did not improve my IPG problem.
    >
    > uH

  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:39:34 -0500, "Fred Carlson" <fc@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    |I am in the Twin Cities and have a 922. I have been getting the IPG updates
    |all along. NPS is my program provider. We also had a 6 hour power failure
    |with the thunderstorms last Saturday and the guide reloaded fine after that
    |event. Hope this info helps.

    |"Micro Henry" <uH@MyServer.Loc> wrote in message
    |> SAC441 wrote:
    |>
    |>> I am in the Pacific Northwest.The temperatures here have been averaging
    |>> about 76°,with the highest recorded temperature at my location at
    |>> 88°.While it is warm,it is certainly not scorching like where you are
    |>> at.
    |>>

    |> Well, it got done to 55 last night when I tried to reload the IPG. It
    |> still
    |> had the same problem. Is G1 one of the last satellites to be replaced?
    |> It
    |> seems like all the transponders have lower output/signal strength then G5,
    |> G10, AMC11 for instance.
    |>
    |> I still think there is an uplink problem. I get such good reception, it's
    |> had to accept the LNB or receiver as the problem. I never had IPG trouble
    |> until they moved it to G1. G10 has good solid signal with qual levels at
    |> 99+
    |> for all channels. AMC11 has quals of 90+. G1 struggles to get a qual of
    |> 70.
    |> However G1-3 the IPG channel did have a qual of 83 this morning.
    |>
    |> Anyway, lower outside temps did not improve my IPG problem.
    |>
    |> uH

    Checked here when I first heard from my wife that there is a problem.
    Guess it's general. We're in the coastal area of L.A., not too hot at
    night at all (high 60's), though humid. She says that she's been
    having problems with this for a week or so. Seems that our uplink
    folks are not doing what we had hoped. A while back when we had this
    problem I called NPS and got the same story mentioned earlier, about
    having a problem but it is being worked. Seems they are aware of it,
    but can they do anything about it?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    "Fred Carlson" wrote:

    > I am in the Twin Cities and have a 922. I have been getting the IPG
    > updates all along. NPS is my program provider. We also had a 6 hour
    > power failure with the thunderstorms last Saturday and the guide
    > reloaded fine after that event. Hope this info helps.

    Well that sure shines a different light on things since I am in MPLS. There
    may be a 922 vs 905 firmware difference or better PLO. But more important,
    what is your LNB and is it a low jitter version for digital? I have a Cal
    Amp 15deg. How big is your dish? Mine is 10ft. What do you get for qual
    values on G1 as compared to what I posted? I have always had low values, 65
    - 75. On G10 it is always ~ 99. Never had IPG problems on G10.

    My problems started when everyone else started complaining. Hence I felt it
    was a uplink problem, and not my hardware. But maybe my LNB has fatigue
    caused by the high temp. But, my picture is great, both analog and digital,
    no analog sparkles or digital freezes. So why should I replace the LNB to
    fix the IPG, when evething else works fine?

    At any rate I am confused about the cause.

    Thanks for you feedback,

    uH
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I also have a Cal Amp 15 deg installed 2001. 10' dish. I get between 55-63
    quality for the lower digital 100-135, and around 95 for the 600-603 range.
    150-177 is usually in the 85-88 range.

    > "Fred Carlson" wrote:
    >
    >> I am in the Twin Cities and have a 922. I have been getting the IPG
    >> updates all along. NPS is my program provider. We also had a 6 hour
    >> power failure with the thunderstorms last Saturday and the guide
    >> reloaded fine after that event. Hope this info helps.
    >>

    > Well that sure shines a different light on things since I am in MPLS.
    > There
    > may be a 922 vs 905 firmware difference or better PLO. But more
    > important,
    > what is your LNB and is it a low jitter version for digital? I have a Cal
    > Amp 15deg. How big is your dish? Mine is 10ft. What do you get for qual
    > values on G1 as compared to what I posted? I have always had low values,
    > 65
    > - 75. On G10 it is always ~ 99. Never had IPG problems on G10.
    >
    > My problems started when everyone else started complaining. Hence I felt
    > it
    > was a uplink problem, and not my hardware. But maybe my LNB has fatigue
    > caused by the high temp. But, my picture is great, both analog and
    > digital,
    > no analog sparkles or digital freezes. So why should I replace the LNB to
    > fix the IPG, when evething else works fine?
    >
    > At any rate I am confused about the cause.
    >
    > Thanks for you feedback,
    >
    > uH

  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Same problem here - Eau Claire WI - clock/Guide is back an hour.
    I just noticed in the last 24 hours so I don't know how long
    this has been set like this. I've had no apparent problems with
    the guide download but the clock is skewed - like it's reset
    to central standard time...
    jim
    -------------

    SAC 441 wrote:
    > I have a peculiar problem,although a minor one.
    > On my 4DTV model 920,my clock keeps resetting itself to Alaskan Daylight
    > Time,when I am in the Pacific Time Zone.It has done this 4 times in the
    > past month.It is getting ridiculous to have to keep calling my
    > programmer to have it reset.The west coast ACC says they have me in
    > their database as being on Pacific Daylight Time,so why does it keep
    > bumping back an hour? It does this when my dish swings to G1 to do
    > automatic updates at 2AM.
    > Other than that,my guide seems to be loading the IPG normally.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    > My IPG has been in trouble for over a week. The 905 is only doing a
    > partial
    > load and usually only 2 - 4 hrs. Then it may not load the program
    > description. It takes 5 - 10 to minutes trying load. Sometimes I have to
    > do
    > it 3 times before it takes. Then if the description doen't, load I have
    > repeat the process all over again and that my take up to 3 tries. I have
    > spent as much as an hour trying to get it to load, and when it does it is
    > only a few hours of IPG.
    >
    > Any one else having these problems? I live in MPLS and usually have a
    > signal
    > strength in the high 90's but the qual level is in the upper 60's to lower
    > 70's, and this is where it has always been, even when the IPG was working
    > OK.
    > The picture and sound are always good on the program being watched. So
    > why
    > can't the IPG load?

    Here is a trick that I learned,
    Since you may have a partial guide, you should purge it by going to options
    6,0,5

    That gets you to diagnostics screen, now go to diagnostics "F" by using the
    right or left arrow keys, now press "info" ,this will purge the ram.

    Now press the guide key, then press options 6,0,5 and go to diagnostics "F"

    Looking at the top two lines you will see two lines of zeros, stay on this
    screen until you see three columns change. The guide will continue
    downloading as long as you stay on this screen.

    Each zero represents a different day of the week.

    The third line down directly under the "d:" is the amount of available ram,
    you can watch this number decrease as the guide downloads and it always
    stops in the forties.

    Directly to the right at the end of line three you can see elapsed time.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!! wrote:

    >>My IPG has been in trouble for over a week. The 905 is only doing a
    >>partial
    >>load and usually only 2 - 4 hrs. Then it may not load the program
    >>description. It takes 5 - 10 to minutes trying load. Sometimes I have to
    >>do
    >>it 3 times before it takes. Then if the description doen't, load I have
    >>repeat the process all over again and that my take up to 3 tries. I have
    >>spent as much as an hour trying to get it to load, and when it does it is
    >>only a few hours of IPG.
    >>
    >>Any one else having these problems? I live in MPLS and usually have a
    >>signal
    >>strength in the high 90's but the qual level is in the upper 60's to lower
    >>70's, and this is where it has always been, even when the IPG was working
    >>OK.
    >>The picture and sound are always good on the program being watched. So
    >>why
    >>can't the IPG load?
    >

    > Here is a trick that I learned,
    > Since you may have a partial guide, you should purge it by going to options
    > 6,0,5
    >
    > That gets you to diagnostics screen, now go to diagnostics "F" by using the
    > right or left arrow keys, now press "info" ,this will purge the ram.
    >
    > Now press the guide key, then press options 6,0,5 and go to diagnostics "F"
    >
    > Looking at the top two lines you will see two lines of zeros, stay on this
    > screen until you see three columns change. The guide will continue
    > downloading as long as you stay on this screen.
    >
    > Each zero represents a different day of the week.
    >
    > The third line down directly under the "d:" is the amount of available ram,
    > you can watch this number decrease as the guide downloads and it always
    > stops in the forties.
    >
    > Directly to the right at the end of line three you can see elapsed time.

    Mine stopped at 36. Otherwise it is as stated here. Takes awhile to
    get to that point though. About 30 min.

    John
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    "Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!" wrote:

    > Here is a trick that I learned,
    > Since you may have a partial guide, you should purge it by going to
    > options 6,0,5
    >
    > That gets you to diagnostics screen, now go to diagnostics "F" by using
    > the right or left arrow keys, now press "info" ,this will purge the ram.
    >
    > Now press the guide key, then press options 6,0,5 and go to diagnostics
    > "F"
    >
    > Looking at the top two lines you will see two lines of zeros, stay on
    > this screen until you see three columns change. The guide will continue
    > downloading as long as you stay on this screen.
    >
    > Each zero represents a different day of the week.
    >
    > The third line down directly under the "d:" is the amount of available
    > ram, you can watch this number decrease as the guide downloads and it
    > always stops in the forties.
    >
    > Directly to the right at the end of line three you can see elapsed time.

    Thanks for you feedback,

    Do you know if this works on the 905 sidecar?

    uH
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    > "Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!" wrote:
    >>
    >> Here is a trick that I learned,
    >> Since you may have a partial guide, you should purge it by going to
    >> options 6,0,5
    >>
    >> That gets you to diagnostics screen, now go to diagnostics "F" by using
    >> the right or left arrow keys, now press "info" ,this will purge the ram.
    >>
    >> Now press the guide key, then press options 6,0,5 and go to diagnostics
    >> "F"
    >>
    >> Looking at the top two lines you will see two lines of zeros, stay on
    >> this screen until you see three columns change. The guide will continue
    >> downloading as long as you stay on this screen.
    >>
    >> Each zero represents a different day of the week.
    >>
    >> The third line down directly under the "d:" is the amount of available
    >> ram, you can watch this number decrease as the guide downloads and it
    >> always stops in the forties.
    >>
    >> Directly to the right at the end of line three you can see elapsed time.
    >>

    > Thanks for you feedback,
    >
    > Do you know if this works on the 905 sidecar?

    That is what I have heard, anyway it can't hurt.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    >> "Micro Henry" wrote:
    >> Do you know if this works on the 905 sidecar?
    >>

    >"Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!" wrote:
    >
    > That is what I have heard, anyway it can't hurt.

    I tried this as was able to load about 2 days, and that's an improvement.

    However, on the 905, the counter for available ram only had three values, 63,
    11, 1. It keep rotating through these 3 numbers and the process never stops.
    only 3 columns were affected and one column on the top row just kept changing
    for 0 to 1 and back again over and over. after 30min I realized there is no
    end in sight and canceled the process. But I did get two days instead of
    2hrs.

    Thanks for the the help

    uH
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I'm also having problems downloading the IPG. I have a 10' dish with dual
    feed Cap Amp 25 deg C-Band LNB's and a 4DTV(922). These LNB's are about 10
    years old. I never had problems downloading the IPG from G0. Another problem
    with G1 is that some digital channels come in crystal clear and others do
    not come in at all. This problem appears to be transponder related. I will
    be upgrading my antenna feed to a Chaparral Corotor II with a Norsat 6600A
    Ku LNB. I don't have a new C-Band LNB. I am considering purchasing a Norsat
    8515. I'm not sure that an 8515 will resolve all the problems I have with
    G1. I noticed that two of you mentioned using Cal Amp 15 deg LNB's. What Cap
    Amp model(s) are you using? I've had very good service from the old Cal Amps
    I'm using. BTW I'm a long time subscriber of this newsgroup, I just do many
    posts.

    Thanks,

    M&M

    "Micro Henry" <uH@MyServer.Loc> wrote in message
    > Are others still have trouble loading the IPG?
    >
    > My IPG has been in trouble for over a week. The 905 is only doing a
    > partial
    > load and usually only 2 - 4 hrs. Then it may not load the program
    > description. It takes 5 - 10 to minutes trying load. Sometimes I have to
    > do
    > it 3 times before it takes. Then if the description doen't, load I have
    > repeat the process all over again and that my take up to 3 tries. I have
    > spent as much as an hour trying to get it to load, and when it does it is
    > only a few hours of IPG.
    >
    > Any one else having these problems? I live in MPLS and usually have a
    > signal
    > strength in the high 90's but the qual level is in the upper 60's to lower
    > 70's, and this is where it has always been, even when the IPG was working
    > OK.
    > The picture and sound are always good on the program being watched. So
    > why
    > can't the IPG load?
    >
    > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > uH

  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    I am using a 17° PLL California Amplifier C-Band LNB and a .6dB Ku-LNB
    (also California Amplifier) in a dual feedhorn on a Unimesh steel quad
    support 10 foot dish with an Echosphere horizon to horizon actuator
    mount.All my equipment save for the 4DTV receiver was purchased in 1986
    and is still in use.
    My receivers are a 4DTV model 920 and a Satwork ST 3688 DVB free to air
    receiver.
    I have only experienced the problems with my clock being wrong on my
    4DTV and having to reset it 3 times via my secondary provider.Other than
    that,the IPG has loaded normally.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    "M&M" wrote:

    > I'm also having problems downloading the IPG. I have a 10' dish with
    > dual feed Cap Amp 25 deg C-Band LNB's and a 4DTV(922). These LNB's are
    > about 10 years old. I never had problems downloading the IPG from G0.
    > Another problem with G1 is that some digital channels come in crystal
    > clear and others do not come in at all. This problem appears to be
    > transponder related. I will be upgrading my antenna feed to a Chaparral
    > Corotor II with a Norsat 6600A Ku LNB. I don't have a new C-Band LNB. I
    > am considering purchasing a Norsat 8515. I'm not sure that an 8515 will
    > resolve all the problems I have with G1. I noticed that two of you
    > mentioned using Cal Amp 15 deg LNB's. What Cap Amp model(s) are you
    > using? I've had very good service from the old Cal Amps I'm using. BTW
    > I'm a long time subscriber of this newsgroup, I just do many posts.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > M&M

    I've been on vacation and just spotted your post.

    My LNB is a CalAmp 15deg C-band but NOT the PLL version, and a .6dB Ku, with
    a Chaparral Corotor II plus feed horn. I have virtually no trouble with C-
    band DVB or 4DTV recption, just the IPG. Ku band I have occasional trouble
    with. That could be related to the alignment sensitivity. My dish is very
    well aligned, but maybe not good enough for Ku digital.

    The post from From: "Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!" <scram@anon.com> about
    purging memory and starting the IPG loading and retruning the the memory view
    screen, has help me live with the problem. Basically what it does for me is
    forces the receiver to stay in the IPG load mode until I end it by exiting
    the memory screen. This allows me to get 2 days worth. That appears to be
    the max the memory on the 905 sidecar can hold. The 920 may have more memory
    allowing more days.

    Take a look at his instructions and try it. It may help you get the entire
    IPG.

    uH

4DTV Satellite Video