Tom
13 answers Last reply
More about answer

    On 2005-08-01, Tom from WI <not_a_real_address@[invalid]> wrote:
    > but I thought I would ask anyway. I have a fairly new TIVO (6 months old).
    > If I stop the subcription from TIVO, would I be able to manually record to
    > the TIVO box (like the old VCR)? Can I use it like a DVR?

    You didn't mention what model TiVo you have but assuming you have a series
    2 without basic service capabilities, the answer is no.

    --
    This is my .sig

    "Tom from WI" <not_a_real_address@[invalid]domain.net> wrote in message

    > Can I use it like a DVR?

    What a moron. 'Can I use my DVR like a DVR?' Tivo is a DVR.

    >> Can I use it like a DVR?
    >>

    > What a moron. 'Can I use my DVR like a DVR?' Tivo is a DVR.

    Read the original post. The question was "Can I use my TiVo *without
    a subscription* like a DVR"? If it's a DirecTivo, NO. If it's a
    Series 1 standalone, yes (or at least the vast majority of those
    sold could) you can do time-and-channel recording.

    If it's a recent TiVo, it might have TiVo Basic, which is a subscription
    but not one you have to pay monthly for, and it will do time-and-channel
    recording.

    Gordon L. Burditt

    > The word 'it' here refers to his TiVo *without a subscription* as
    > mentioned in the first question.
    >
    > Gordon L. Burditt

    Gordon, I'd suggest saving your breath for responses to people who
    either legitimately contribute to the group, or are at least polite when
    asking questions. Unfortunately some are only here to buttress their
    own self-esteem by trying to make other folks seem stupid, not realizing
    they're only making themselves look petty and sad in the process.

    Regardless of the actual literal interpretations of the OP, your
    original post was relevant and at least possibly helpful, which is more
    than could be said of other posts in this thread.

    Randy S.

    * Zardaz Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > "Tom from WI" <not_a_real_address@[invalid]domain.net> wrote in
    > message news:X7jHe.239$fJ1.72@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    >>
    >> Can I use it like a DVR?
    >>

    > What a moron. 'Can I use my DVR like a DVR?' Tivo is a DVR.

    What a moron. The question posed is "Can I use my Tivo like a DVR after
    I cancel my subscription?" If you could not read even that much into
    the question moron is actually an undersatement.

    --
    David

    "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
    >* Zardaz Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >

    >> "Tom from WI" <not_a_real_address@[invalid]domain.net> wrote in
    >> message news:X7jHe.239$fJ1.72@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

    This was the question I responded to.

    >>> Can I use it like a DVR?
    >>>

    >> What a moron. 'Can I use my DVR like a DVR?' Tivo is a DVR.
    >>

    > What a moron. The question posed is "Can I use my Tivo like a DVR after
    > I cancel my subscription?" If you could not read even that much into
    > the question moron is actually an undersatement.
    >
    > --
    > David

    Maybe if you actually read the whole thread before you responded, you
    wouldn't have made the same dumb-assed mistake as Gordy.

    * Zardaz Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    [...]

    > This was the question I responded to.

    The problem is there is more to the question than what you quoted.
    Reading comprehension is taught in the early years of elementary school
    and the main premise of that methodology is to read the WHOLE thing not
    just the interesting parts or you wont be able to answer the questions
    at the end of the essay, You did go to elementary school right?

    >>> What a moron. 'Can I use my DVR like a DVR?' Tivo is a DVR.
    >>>

    >> What a moron. The question posed is "Can I use my Tivo like a DVR
    >> after I cancel my subscription?" If you could not read even that
    >> much into the question moron is actually an undersatement.
    >>

    > Maybe if you actually read the whole thread before you responded,
    > you wouldn't have made the same dumb-assed mistake as Gordy.

    Maybe if you actually read the post you responded too you would not be
    trying to defend yourself for being wrong.

    Why is it people on Usenet cant just say, "Oops, you were right, I
    misread it" instead of trying to be a witty little turd and failing?

    --
    David

    newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) wrote in news:megazone.1123283300
    @sidehack.sat.gweep.net:

    > Well, I've been away from the group for a while, busy with life (new
    > house, etc). I guess Zardaz is the current resident dipshit troll
    > then?

    Yep. When he gets bored he morphs, everyone adds the new ID to their twit
    filters, he morphs again...etc, etc.

    > Is Sean still arond?

    If so, people finally got smart and stopped replying to him. (Translation,
    he doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned, but I used to see people reply).

    Howard wrote:
    > newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) wrote in news:megazone.1123283300
    > @sidehack.sat.gweep.net:
    >

    >>Well, I've been away from the group for a while, busy with life (new
    >>house, etc). I guess Zardaz is the current resident dipshit troll
    >>then?
    >

    > Yep. When he gets bored he morphs, everyone adds the new ID to their twit
    > filters, he morphs again...etc, etc.
    >

    >>Is Sean still arond?
    >

    > If so, people finally got smart and stopped replying to him. (Translation,
    > he doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned, but I used to see people reply).

    Haven't seen hide nor hair of him either. Maybe he got a life . . . or
    runover by a truck. I really don't wish the latter on him, but I have a
    hard time believing the former.

    Randy S.

    >* Zardaz Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    > [...]
    >

    >> This was the question I responded to.

    > The problem is there is more to the question than what you quoted.

    But the rest of what the OP says is irrelevant. I wasn't answering his
    question. I was commenting on his not knowing that a Tivo is a DVR

    > Reading comprehension is taught in the early years of elementary school
    > and the main premise of that methodology is to read the WHOLE thing not
    > just the interesting parts or you wont be able to answer the questions
    > at the end of the essay, You did go to elementary school right?

    I was commenting on one of his questions, not answering it.
    Why are you having such a difficult time comprehending that fact?

    > Maybe if you actually read the post you responded too you would not be
    > trying to defend yourself for being wrong.

    What was I wrong about?

    > Why is it people on Usenet cant just say, "Oops, you were right, I
    > misread it" instead of trying to be a witty little turd and failing?
    >
    > --
    > David

    Pull your head out of your ass! I understand what he was inquiring about.
    What he was asking though has nothing to do with his lack of understanding
    that Tivo is a DVR.

    Oops, I wasn't incorrect.

    * Zardaz Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
    >>* Zardaz Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>

    >>> This was the question I responded to.

    >> The problem is there is more to the question than what you
    >> quoted.
    >
    > But the rest of what the OP says is irrelevant. I wasn't
    > answering his question. I was commenting on his not knowing that a
    > Tivo is a DVR

    He never said TIvo wasn't a DVR, thats you wanting to be right. He said
    he wants to use it (Tivo) without a sub and wants it to still act like
    a DVR.

    >> Reading comprehension is taught in the early years of elementary
    >> school and the main premise of that methodology is to read the
    >> WHOLE thing not just the interesting parts or you wont be able to
    >> answer the questions at the end of the essay, You did go to
    >> elementary school right?
    >
    > I was commenting on one of his questions, not answering it.

    Then your comment was out of place and incorrect. Tivo is NOT a DVR
    without a subscription, its a doorstop, or a brick or a small coffee
    table without legs, but is certainly NOT a DVR without a subscription.
    Somehow you seemed to have missed this very omportant part of the post.

    > Why are you having such a difficult time comprehending that fact?

    I have a hard time understanding that you still think you are correct,
    the rest of the facts are crystal clear.

    >> Maybe if you actually read the post you responded too you would
    >> not be trying to defend yourself for being wrong.
    >
    > What was I wrong about?

    See above.

    >> Why is it people on Usenet cant just say, "Oops, you were right,
    >> I misread it" instead of trying to be a witty little turd and
    >> failing?
    >>

    > Pull your head out of your ass! I understand what he was
    > inquiring about.

    No, you obvioulsy dont as your answere was irrelevant.

    > What he was asking though has nothing to do with
    > his lack of understanding that Tivo is a DVR.

    And my heads in my ass? If I send you my address will sed me a bag of
    that premo smoke?

    --
    David

    >>Why are you having such a difficult time comprehending that fact?
    >

    > I have a hard time understanding that you still think you are correct,
    > the rest of the facts are crystal clear.

    Either you missed it, or you've been away too long and don't recall, but
    this is par for the course for him. He will *never* admit an error
    preferring instead to make unending trivial semantic arguments looking
    for a hole to wiggle through. He reminds me of George W. ;-)

    Randy S.

    * Randy S. wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > >>Why are you having such a difficult time comprehending that fact?

    >> I have a hard time understanding that you still think you are correct,
    >> the rest of the facts are crystal clear.

    > Either you missed it, or you've been away too long and don't recall,

    Neither actually. I know exactly who this fool is.

    > but
    > this is par for the course for him. He will *never* admit an error
    > preferring instead to make unending trivial semantic arguments looking
    > for a hole to wiggle through.

    Sort of silly no? I mean you look like less of a moron if you can admit
    you were wrong early on instead of a fight to the death that he will
    inevitably lose. Reputation on Usenet has an unforgiving memory
    but he has already proved his propensity for switching nyms to get the
    last word in. Something tells me he is in many a killfile.

    > He reminds me of George W. ;-)

    Lets not go there ;)

    --
    David
    You will meet an important person who will help you advance professionally.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video DVR