"Please wait . . ."

I know this has been asked and answered so I'm not gonna beg too much, but
simply want a pointer to where I can find the answer. . .

I have my 5040 connected to my network via a wireless bridge. Without fail,
when it comes time for Replay's every three day update, the unit freezes
with the "Please wait. . . " screen.

I unplug the ethernet connection to the wireless bridge, restart the 5040
and it works fine. I then plug the ethernet back in and can update it
manually and it continues to work fine until the next network update where
it freezes again.

It's only a minor nuisance to keep the ethernet unplugged and manually
update, but I shouldn't have to. I'm familiar that there is some kind of
DHCP bug, but I have a fixed IP address set for the 5040. (Yet I'm not sure
about the wireless box. . .)

Any ideas welcome except I'm not gonna go back to a wired connection. . .

TIA

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
6 answers Last reply
More about wait

    This reminds me.....

    If you have a "Lifetime" does it need to connect regullary (other than
    for the channel guide) or can it just run along forever in "Manual VCR"
    mode like, Well, a VCR

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    I think it will work. There's been times when I was on dial-up and for
    whatever reason the updates would totally fail (faulty outlets). I
    didn't notice for a few weeks until the guide suddenly was blank. But I
    still had all my shows.

    Similarly, when I bought it used (already activated), it was
    operational, even though it had been in storage for an unknown amount of
    time.

    John in Detroit wrote:
    > This reminds me.....
    >
    > If you have a "Lifetime" does it need to connect regullary (other than
    > for the channel guide) or can it just run along forever in "Manual VCR"
    > mode like, Well, a VCR

    It will have to connect to update the clock and verify activation status
    eventually.

    > I have my 5040 connected to my network via a wireless bridge. Without fail,
    > when it comes time for Replay's every three day update, the unit freezes
    > with the "Please wait. . . " screen.
    >
    > I unplug the ethernet connection to the wireless bridge, restart the 5040
    > and it works fine. I then plug the ethernet back in and can update it
    > manually and it continues to work fine until the next network update where
    > it freezes again.
    >
    > It's only a minor nuisance to keep the ethernet unplugged and manually
    > update, but I shouldn't have to. I'm familiar that there is some kind of
    > DHCP bug, but I have a fixed IP address set for the 5040. (Yet I'm not sure
    > about the wireless box. . .)

    Fixed IP is not enough. The router has to be set to reserve the static
    ip of the Replay to its mac address to eliminate the bug.

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:06:07 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >> I have my 5040 connected to my network via a wireless bridge. Without fail,
    >> when it comes time for Replay's every three day update, the unit freezes
    >> with the "Please wait. . . " screen.
    >>
    >> I unplug the ethernet connection to the wireless bridge, restart the 5040
    >> and it works fine. I then plug the ethernet back in and can update it
    >> manually and it continues to work fine until the next network update where
    >> it freezes again.
    >>
    >> It's only a minor nuisance to keep the ethernet unplugged and manually
    >> update, but I shouldn't have to. I'm familiar that there is some kind of
    >> DHCP bug, but I have a fixed IP address set for the 5040. (Yet I'm not sure
    >> about the wireless box. . .)
    >
    >Fixed IP is not enough. The router has to be set to reserve the static
    >ip of the Replay to its mac address to eliminate the bug.

    Again, assuming all routers support address reservation. Many don't.

    If it doesn't, you will need to DISABLE DHCP. There's a program people
    often talk about here that does support address resolution, and can be
    used even if your router doesn't. It takes a little to work to set up,
    but may be preferable to static IP.

    Wireless adds considerable complexity. Be very sure you need it.

    sam wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:06:07 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>I have my 5040 connected to my network via a wireless bridge. Without fail,
    >>>when it comes time for Replay's every three day update, the unit freezes
    >>>with the "Please wait. . . " screen.
    >>>
    >>>I unplug the ethernet connection to the wireless bridge, restart the 5040
    >>>and it works fine. I then plug the ethernet back in and can update it
    >>>manually and it continues to work fine until the next network update where
    >>>it freezes again.
    >>>
    >>>It's only a minor nuisance to keep the ethernet unplugged and manually
    >>>update, but I shouldn't have to. I'm familiar that there is some kind of
    >>>DHCP bug, but I have a fixed IP address set for the 5040. (Yet I'm not sure
    >>>about the wireless box. . .)
    >>
    >>Fixed IP is not enough. The router has to be set to reserve the static
    >>ip of the Replay to its mac address to eliminate the bug.
    >

    > Again, assuming all routers support address reservation. Many don't.

    And again, throw away your 3yr old $30 router and spend another $30. It
    isn't worth $30 in time or effort to jury rig something.

    > If it doesn't, you will need to DISABLE DHCP. There's a program people
    > often talk about here that does support address resolution, and can be
    > used even if your router doesn't. It takes a little to work to set up,
    > but may be preferable to static IP.

    Since the Replay looks for a DHCP server whether it is static or not,
    removing the server causes a couple of minutes to be added to the
    Replay's boot time.

Ptv Replaytv Wireless Ethernet Card