Editing MPG Files

Is there freeware that can be used to edit the MPG files that RTV
writes? I've tried several without success. I have even tried to convert
them to AVIs or WMVs with no success.
12 answers Last reply
More about editing mpg files

    In article <n87He.63946$oj4.1437405@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Is there freeware that can be used to edit the MPG files that RTV
    > writes? I've tried several without success. I have even tried to convert
    > them to AVIs or WMVs with no success.

    Not freeware, but probably the best $50 you can spend. videoredo.com.

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:38:43 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >Is there freeware that can be used to edit the MPG files that RTV
    >writes? I've tried several without success. I have even tried to convert
    >them to AVIs or WMVs with no success.

    Before I started using MPEG2VCR, I was using freeware, and found it to
    work but it was more compliceted. Below is what I wrote about how I
    was doing it. I have no idea if you can still use this..

    I've made several VCDs and DVDs from Replay shows. I did it like this:

    Step 1: transfer show to PC
    Step 2: convert encoding for VCD/DVD
    Step 3. prepare and write VCD/DVD

    For step 1, use DVArchive.

    For Step 2, It's a little complex. You need a program called DVD2AVI,
    and it must be version 1.76 (a later version will NOT work, at least
    not yet, search the web). Use this program to load the transferred MPG
    file (don't worry about the wrong aspect ratio here, it'll come out
    right) and select "Save Project". If you did this correctly, you
    should have the following files (assuming a show called ENTERPRISE):

    ENTERPRISE.MPG
    ENTERPRISE MPA T01 DELAY -500ms.MPA
    ENTERPRISE.D2V

    The first one is the file transferred from the replay (you need to
    keep this). The second is the audio from it (the number may be
    different). The third is the "project file" (you'll need this).

    Then get TMPGEnc from http://www.tmpgenc.com. Load it and select "VCD"
    from the wizard. When asked to enter a video file name, choose the
    "D2V" file (above), for audio, choose the "MPA" file (above). On the
    next screen, check "source range". In the dialog that appears here,
    enter the number from that MPA file (see above) in the box marked
    "Audio gap correct" (this is a positive number - leave off the '-').
    You can (optionally) select the part of the show you want to convert.
    Continue wuth the wizard, but be sure to name the output file
    differently, since you don't want to overwrite the original file.

    At this point, you have a standard MPEG-1 file suitable for VCD, DVD,
    etc, which you can import into your VCD/DVD creation software (I'm
    using Sonic MyDVD, which came with this DVD recorder to make DVDs).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    I'm not aware of freeware that can do it, I broke down and spent the
    fifty bucks for a downloadable editor... Works too, Womble's MPG2VCR
    (The basic one... I did not spring for the "Wizard")

    SO far I have used it three times... The first time I mis-read an
    instruction or two so success was... Minimal. The second time I re-read
    properly and success was fantastic, Easy to use and no problems

    The 3rd time was a much simpler job (Editing a talk show down to one
    segment, Set "Check in" point, Set "Check out" point, cut all before,
    cut all after save as, done) and went well... Let's just say it took me
    longer to type this

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > Is there freeware that can be used to edit the MPG files that RTV
    > writes? I've tried several without success. I have even tried to convert
    > them to AVIs or WMVs with no success.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    In article <n87He.63946$oj4.1437405@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Is there freeware that can be used to edit the MPG files that RTV
    > writes? I've tried several without success. I have even tried to convert
    > them to AVIs or WMVs with no success.

    If you're using a Mac, download a freeware program called MPEG
    Streamclip (you can locate it through versiontracker.com). Far easier
    to use than RTV Tools, and a very elegant GUI.

    If Replay's files are "MPG" and DVDs are "MPG" why do they need to be
    converted? I know they don't play in a DVD player, but why?

    "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Is there freeware that can be used to edit the MPG files that RTV writes?
    > I've tried several without success. I have even tried to convert them to
    > AVIs or WMVs with no success.

    DVDs are not "Standard" MPGs, though the file may well be, the
    arraingment, and even the file list on the drive, is not standard

    Thus, the computer needs to do conversion

    --

    In article <VY2dnSaDPtLEgmnfRVn-uw@valortelecom.com>,
    "Danny Hobbs" <danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote:

    > If Replay's files are "MPG" and DVDs are "MPG" why do they need to be
    > converted? I know they don't play in a DVD player, but why?
    >

    > "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > Is there freeware that can be used to edit the MPG files that RTV writes?
    > > I've tried several without success. I have even tried to convert them to
    > > AVIs or WMVs with no success.

    While there is a variant in MPG (more specifically .mpg2) file format,
    you can sometimes burn the RTV file directly to a DVD. However, most of
    the time people also like to edit out commericals, lead in footage, etc.

    "Chris Bastian" <cbastian@acedsl.com> wrote in message
    > In article <VY2dnSaDPtLEgmnfRVn-uw@valortelecom.com>,
    > "Danny Hobbs" <danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote:
    >
    >> If Replay's files are "MPG" and DVDs are "MPG" why do they need to be
    >> converted? I know they don't play in a DVD player, but why?
    >>

    >> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> > Is there freeware that can be used to edit the MPG files that RTV
    >> > writes?
    >> > I've tried several without success. I have even tried to convert them
    >> > AVIs or WMVs with no success.
    >>

    > While there is a variant in MPG (more specifically .mpg2) file format,
    > you can sometimes burn the RTV file directly to a DVD. However, most of
    > the time people also like to edit out commericals, lead in footage, etc.

    I agree, commercials and the ends of the video need to be edited out. That's
    the easy part to understand. After you edit out unwanted content you have a
    MPG file. When you use different software to "Convert" the video, you end up
    with an MPG file again, correct? That is what confuses me. Why do some MPG
    files play in DVD players and others don't.

    After I "Convert" an edited file with TMPG(?), what is the popular (Free)
    software to burn to a DVD? I have Roxio 6, but it wants to add fluff and
    make the files too large to fit on a DVD. I have bought other DVD burning
    software and want something that works good. If I like it, I can buy it
    later. I would like something that offers menu options. I can put several
    shows on a DVD and play the one I want.

    Thanks

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:08:59 -0600, "Danny Hobbs"
    <danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote:

    >"Chris Bastian" <cbastian@acedsl.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <VY2dnSaDPtLEgmnfRVn-uw@valortelecom.com>,
    >> "Danny Hobbs" <danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If Replay's files are "MPG" and DVDs are "MPG" why do they need to be
    >>> converted? I know they don't play in a DVD player, but why?
    >>>

    >>> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> While there is a variant in MPG (more specifically .mpg2) file format,
    >> you can sometimes burn the RTV file directly to a DVD. However, most of
    >> the time people also like to edit out commericals, lead in footage, etc.
    >
    >I agree, commercials and the ends of the video need to be edited out. That's
    >the easy part to understand. After you edit out unwanted content you have a
    >MPG file. When you use different software to "Convert" the video, you end up
    >with an MPG file again, correct? That is what confuses me. Why do some MPG
    >files play in DVD players and others don't.

    You can put a video DVD in your computer DVD drive and read it (since
    it's actually a DVD-ROM). Notice the file structure. Video DVD
    requires a particular structure.

    I just checked one (the last one I made from Replay shows), and got
    the following file structure:

    AUDIO_TS
    ULEADDMF
    DMF_ON_DISC.dwz 166KB
    ME_00_00.ufo 316KB
    VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP 24KB
    VIDEO_TS.IFO 24KB
    VIDEO_TS.VOB 12,862KB
    VTS_01_0.BUP 198KB
    VTS_01_0.IFO 198KB
    VTS_01_1.VOB 1,000,062KB
    VTS_01_2.VOB 1,000,036KB
    VTS_01_3.VOB 1,000,158KB
    VTS_01_4.VOB 1,000,012KB
    VTS_01_5.VOB 310,004KB

    The "ULEADDMF" directory is editing information added by that
    particular authoring program. The rest is standard for video DVDs.

    >After I "Convert" an edited file with TMPG(?), what is the popular (Free)
    >software to burn to a DVD? I have Roxio 6, but it wants to add fluff and
    >make the files too large to fit on a DVD.

    All DVD authoring programs will add something (such as menus). You can
    often save space by turning off chapter menus and menu animation.

    > I have bought other DVD burning
    >software and want something that works good. If I like it, I can buy it
    >later. I would like something that offers menu options. I can put several
    >shows on a DVD and play the one I want.

    The one I seem to like best us Ulead DVD Movie Factory.

    Note that DVD authoring is CPU-intensive and you get better results on
    a faster computer.

    >Thanks

    With Replay shows, I get up to 7 hours on a DVD-R.
    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    After I edit out the unwanted bits with MPEG Video Wizard, I use TMPGEnc's
    DVD Author to "author" my DVD. It also will burn the DVD, and the burning
    module works fine, but sometimes I use Nero. TMPGEnc's DVD Author is nice
    because it's simple to use, has many options for creating menus, and it does
    not re-encode the video. This last part is very important, because MPEG
    Video Wizard writes out DVD-compliant MPG files. Re-encoding serves no
    purpose other than to degrade the video content.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Danny Hobbs" <danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote in message

    > "Chris Bastian" <cbastian@acedsl.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <VY2dnSaDPtLEgmnfRVn-uw@valortelecom.com>,
    >> "Danny Hobbs" <danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If Replay's files are "MPG" and DVDs are "MPG" why do they need to be
    >>> converted? I know they don't play in a DVD player, but why?
    >>>

    >>> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> While there is a variant in MPG (more specifically .mpg2) file format,
    >> you can sometimes burn the RTV file directly to a DVD. However, most of
    >> the time people also like to edit out commericals, lead in footage, etc.
    >
    > I agree, commercials and the ends of the video need to be edited out.
    > That's the easy part to understand. After you edit out unwanted content
    > you have a MPG file. When you use different software to "Convert" the
    > video, you end up with an MPG file again, correct? That is what confuses
    > me. Why do some MPG files play in DVD players and others don't.
    >
    > After I "Convert" an edited file with TMPG(?), what is the popular (Free)
    > software to burn to a DVD? I have Roxio 6, but it wants to add fluff and
    > make the files too large to fit on a DVD. I have bought other DVD burning
    > software and want something that works good. If I like it, I can buy it
    > later. I would like something that offers menu options. I can put several
    > shows on a DVD and play the one I want.
    >
    > Thanks

  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net shaped the electrons to say:
    >DVDs are not "Standard" MPGs, though the file may well be, the
    >arraingment, and even the file list on the drive, is not standard
    >
    >Thus, the computer needs to do conversion

    That's not really it. If you have a DVD-compliant MPEG2 file there is
    no conversion involved in burning a DVD, the file system on the DVD is
    handled by the burning software.

    The issue is that, while DVD is MPEG2, and RTV records MPEG2 (as does
    TiVo), MPEG2 is a *framework* not a specific standard. There are many
    parameters - resolution, bitrate, audio sampling, the type of audio
    encoding, number of key frames, etc, etc. DVD has specified what
    these settings must be in order to be compliant. It is possible to
    burn a DVD using other settings, but them players may not decode it.

    See: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4 for some of the
    info.

    -MZ
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Use this freeware:

    1. DVArchive - to download

    2. reVue - to prepare
    http://www.planetreplay.com/software/revue/