DirecTivo hard drive problems

My drive is starting to fail in my Series 2 (freezes, etc.) and was
going to go to the trouble of replacing the hard drive until I called
DirecTV, who will swap my entire unit for $50 with overnight shipping.
Mine has a 40 gig drive and since they are only making them with 80s
now, I get an 80. Plenty of space for us and what could be more
hassle-free?

More about directivo hard drive problems

    Kurt wrote:
    > My drive is starting to fail in my Series 2 (freezes, etc.) and was
    > going to go to the trouble of replacing the hard drive until I called
    > DirecTV, who will swap my entire unit for $50 with overnight shipping.
    > Mine has a 40 gig drive and since they are only making them with 80s
    > now, I get an 80. Plenty of space for us and what could be more
    > hassle-free?

    A good deal, but probably comes with a new 1-year contract.

    --
    David G.

    In article <W5idnZ2dnZ2WBszdnZ2dnX42at-dnZ2dRVn-zZ2dnZ0@comcast.com>,
    "David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote:

    > Kurt wrote:
    > > My drive is starting to fail in my Series 2 (freezes, etc.) and was
    > > going to go to the trouble of replacing the hard drive until I called
    > > DirecTV, who will swap my entire unit for $50 with overnight shipping.
    > > Mine has a 40 gig drive and since they are only making them with 80s
    > > now, I get an 80. Plenty of space for us and what could be more
    > > hassle-free?
    >
    > A good deal, but probably comes with a new 1-year contract.

    No mention at all, but we've with DirecTV since 95 - 96. The tech was
    forthright about the drives lasting about 2-3 years with heavy use (we
    never watch live TV), and gave me this option right off the bat. Very
    smart customer service.

    "David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message
    > Kurt wrote:
    > > My drive is starting to fail in my Series 2 (freezes, etc.) and was
    > > going to go to the trouble of replacing the hard drive until I called
    > > DirecTV, who will swap my entire unit for $50 with overnight shipping.
    > > Mine has a 40 gig drive and since they are only making them with 80s
    > > now, I get an 80. Plenty of space for us and what could be more
    > > hassle-free?
    >
    > A good deal, but probably comes with a new 1-year contract.

    That isn't necessarily bad since the DirecTV DVR is not useful
    without DirecTV service.

    In article <CEPJe.2004$Z87.36@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote:

    > "David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message
    > > Kurt wrote:
    > > > My drive is starting to fail in my Series 2 (freezes, etc.) and was
    > > > going to go to the trouble of replacing the hard drive until I called
    > > > DirecTV, who will swap my entire unit for $50 with overnight shipping.
    > > > Mine has a 40 gig drive and since they are only making them with 80s
    > > > now, I get an 80. Plenty of space for us and what could be more
    > > > hassle-free?
    > >
    > > A good deal, but probably comes with a new 1-year contract.
    > >

    > That isn't necessarily bad since the DirecTV DVR is not useful
    > without DirecTV service.

    Not an issue for us, but still, no stipulations were mentioned.

Ptv Tivo Hard Drives