QVC DTV...? New DTV...?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Terry wrote:

> In December of last year I only bought one C=64 Direct to TV so I might
> just buy a few more now that they may be at a cheaper price.

Confirmed by Larry Anderson and myself, Toys 'R Us in California and
Nevada now carry C64 DTV's. These DTV's are in the new, hexagonal packaging,
thus allowing more room for screenshots of the various games and thus making
them easier to stack. Games seem to be all the same. Larry and I opened up my
QVC DTV from last November/December, and we opened up a new Toys 'R Us DTV. At
first glance the Toys 'R Us DTV seemed the same, but on closer inspection, 4
resistors were added to the lines, and the components on one-quarter of the
board had been rotated 90 degrees, in comparison to the older QVC DTV. Larry
said that the DTV display was more "solid", no more herringbone interference
that the older QVC one had.
At CommVEx Bo Zimmerman opened up the DTVs to cross-compare them, too.
On the upper side of the board (not the bottom side which a person sees when
unscrewing the casing), DTVs are marked with board revision numbers. Bo found
that the old QVC DTV was marked as "A1"; the new revision was marked "A5".
(Does that mean there were revisions A2, A3, and A4?)
At CommVEx I asked Jeri Ellsworth about the current DTV. Did the
current North American, NTSC, Toys 'R Us DTV have long-awaited v2 board, the
one that the European PAL DTV will have? She said no, and she said that she
didn't even know that a revision was already being sold. She confirmed that
the current North American NTSC DTV did not have any new games. She did remark
that the board was revised in order to meet Federal Communications standards.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
9 answers Last reply
More about qvc dtv dtv
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Robert Bernardo wrote:
    > At CommVEx I asked Jeri Ellsworth about the current DTV. Did the
    > current North American, NTSC, Toys 'R Us DTV have long-awaited v2 board,
    > the one that the European PAL DTV will have? She said no, and she said
    > that she didn't even know that a revision was already being sold. She
    > confirmed that the current North American NTSC DTV did not have any new
    > games. She did remark that the board was revised in order to meet
    > Federal Communications standards.

    Darn, so no "illegal" opcode support on the CPU core? :(

    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://rittwage.com/c64pp
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Errol Smith wrote:

    > Any idea what changes were made to improve the picture? I'd like to
    > do those changes to my current one (while I wait forever for the PAL
    > version).

    Other than what Larry, Bo, and I saw, the specific changes
    (values, etc.) are unknown to my untrained eyes. However, if I see Jeri
    in the next few weeks, I can ask her.

    Truly,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group
    http://videocam.net.au/fcug
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:37:09 -0400, Robert Bernardo wrote:

    > Confirmed by Larry Anderson and myself, Toys 'R Us in California and
    >Nevada now carry C64 DTV's. These DTV's are in the new, hexagonal packaging,
    >thus allowing more room for screenshots of the various games and thus making
    >them easier to stack. Games seem to be all the same. Larry and I opened up my
    >QVC DTV from last November/December, and we opened up a new Toys 'R Us DTV. At
    >first glance the Toys 'R Us DTV seemed the same, but on closer inspection, 4
    >resistors were added to the lines, and the components on one-quarter of the
    >board had been rotated 90 degrees, in comparison to the older QVC DTV. Larry
    >said that the DTV display was more "solid", no more herringbone interference
    >that the older QVC one had.

    Any idea what changes were made to improve the picture? I'd like to
    do those changes to my current one (while I wait forever for the PAL
    version).

    Errol Smith || Strobe
    errol <at> ros (dot) com [period] au
    http://www.ros.com.au/~errol/64.html
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Errol,

    If you happen to see this first, check your e-mail. I met with Jeri
    Ellsworth today, and she had an interesting response to your questions.

    Going private,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group
    http://videocam.net.au/fcug
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Errol,

    If you happen to see this first, check your e-mail. I met with Jeri
    Ellsworth today, and she had an interesting response to your questions.

    Going private,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group
    http://videocam.net.au/fcug
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Would be nice if you shared with everyone else... Perhaps there are others
    that are interested as well...

    <rbernardo@value.net> wrote in message
    > Errol,
    >
    > If you happen to see this first, check your e-mail. I met with Jeri
    > Ellsworth today, and she had an interesting response to your questions.
    >
    > Going private,
    > Robert Bernardo
    > Fresno Commodore User Group
    > http://videocam.net.au/fcug

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    rbernardo@value.net wrote:
    > Errol,
    >
    > If you happen to see this first, check your e-mail. I met with Jeri
    > Ellsworth today, and she had an interesting response to your questions.
    >
    > Going private,
    > Robert Bernardo
    > Fresno Commodore User Group
    > http://videocam.net.au/fcug

    Cross posting just to say you have a private message?

    Thanks for sharing Robert. :P
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    rbernardo@value.net wrote:
    > Errol,
    >
    > If you happen to see this first, check your e-mail. I met with Jeri
    > Ellsworth today, and she had an interesting response to your questions.
    >
    > Going private,
    > Robert Bernardo
    > Fresno Commodore User Group
    > http://videocam.net.au/fcug

    She probably stated that they wised up and started using the proper
    crystal.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Brain, Brain Innovations
    brain@jbrain.com http://www.jbrain.com

    "FeMaster" <FeMaster @ hotmail . com> wrote in message
    > Would be nice if you shared with everyone else... Perhaps there are
    others
    > that are interested as well...

    Yes, I don't see why the answer should be private since the question was
    public.

    I'm interested to hear the answer too...

Games