Why does Dennon keep Replay around?

They seem to do NOTHING with it!
I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me my
password".
Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.

24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help but
wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?! Barely any
customer service exists, there have been no software or feature upgrades or
advances in years, hell, the website touts new features from 2 years ago!!

I still believe Replay is the superior DVR, but for the love of God, support
the damn thing or sell it off!!!
22 answers Last reply
More about dennon replay

    Gee, I had great service from them when my #1 Replay (I have 3as well)
    died a couple of months ago. They authorized an RMA and shipped the
    replacement pronto. Took care of some registration issues, all over the
    phone (I could not do what I wanted to do on line, neither could the
    level 1 service rep, she had to take notes which were properly passed to
    a higher level rep who took care of it "offline")

    No complaints at all..... Perhaps I just got a good level 1 rep

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    Xarias wrote:
    > They seem to do NOTHING with it!
    > I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
    > I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me my
    > password".
    > Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.
    >
    > 24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help but
    > wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?!

    "Dennon" has nothing to do with Replay. Denon and Replay are members of
    the same unit (DNNA).

    > Barely any
    > customer service exists, there have been no software or feature upgrades or
    > advances in years, hell, the website touts new features from 2 years ago!!

    The last 3 or 4 times I had a problem I got somebody in a couple of
    rings and everything was taken care of. In case you didn't get the memo,
    there are no "upgrades" coming for the old units. But considering they
    still have capabilities the others don't, that's not so bad.

    Several DNNA people have mentioned a new HD unit coming soon. It is also
    mentioned in DNNA reports as is the big household server based systems.
    Whether they are Replay, Escient, Denon or branded something else is
    also unknown.

    Tony D wrote:
    > Xarias wrote:
    >
    >> They seem to do NOTHING with it!
    >> I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
    >> I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me
    >> my password".
    >> Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.
    >>
    >> 24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help
    >> but wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?!
    >

    > "Dennon" has nothing to do with Replay. Denon and Replay are members of
    > the same unit (DNNA).
    >
    >> Barely any customer service exists, there have been no software or
    >> feature upgrades or advances in years, hell, the website touts new
    >> features from 2 years ago!!
    >>
    > The last 3 or 4 times I had a problem I got somebody in a couple of
    > rings and everything was taken care of. In case you didn't get the memo,
    > there are no "upgrades" coming for the old units. But considering they
    > still have capabilities the others don't, that's not so bad.

    Maybe so, but you'd think they would at least fix the channels. I like
    that it records random shows for me. But I hate that it keeps recording
    the same one 3 or 4 times over a couple of week period.

    I don't know who the hell wrote the logic for that. They should have
    used a little hard disk space to store the last several hundred or
    thousand shows that I watched and/or deleted in the channels. As a
    programmer I take offense to the stupidity of of. Thats probably why my
    friend who turned me on to replay told me nobody uses the channels.

    I just get the feeling that they half ass implemented the channels, and
    it wouldn't have been much more code to make it work a lot better.

    "Rick" <vanyar@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > Tony D wrote:
    >> Xarias wrote:
    >>
    >>> They seem to do NOTHING with it!
    >>> I went to activate a third Replay bought from EBay yesterday.
    >>> I couldn't remember my password for Replaytv.com so I clicked "Send me
    >>> my password".
    >>> Well, it lets me know it's been changed and will be mailed to me.
    >>>
    >>> 24 hours later I'm still waiting for a new password and I can't help but
    >>> wonder what the hell Dennon is doing with their purchase?!
    >>

    >> "Dennon" has nothing to do with Replay. Denon and Replay are members of
    >> the same unit (DNNA).
    >>
    >>> Barely any customer service exists, there have been no software or
    >>> feature upgrades or advances in years, hell, the website touts new
    >>> features from 2 years ago!!
    >>>
    >> The last 3 or 4 times I had a problem I got somebody in a couple of rings
    >> and everything was taken care of. In case you didn't get the memo, there
    >> are no "upgrades" coming for the old units. But considering they still
    >> have capabilities the others don't, that's not so bad.
    >
    > Maybe so, but you'd think they would at least fix the channels. I like
    > that it records random shows for me. But I hate that it keeps recording
    > the same one 3 or 4 times over a couple of week period.
    >
    > I don't know who the hell wrote the logic for that. They should have used
    > a little hard disk space to store the last several hundred or thousand
    > shows that I watched and/or deleted in the channels. As a programmer I
    > take offense to the stupidity of of. Thats probably why my friend who
    > turned me on to replay told me nobody uses the channels.
    >
    > I just get the feeling that they half ass implemented the channels, and it
    > wouldn't have been much more code to make it work a lot better.

    I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could delete
    one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
    show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same show
    being rebroadcast the next hour.

    Although it isn't perfect, I love it. It is much better than a VCR. And no
    Zardaz, I don't know anything about a Tivo and don't care to know. It would
    be nice if Replay placed a "Suggestions" page on their web site for
    improvements to the software.

    >> Several DNNA people have mentioned a new HD unit coming soon. It is also
    >> mentioned in DNNA reports as is the big household server based systems.
    >> Whether they are Replay, Escient, Denon or branded something else is also
    >> unknown.

    > Maybe so, but you'd think they would at least fix the channels. I like
    > that it records random shows for me. But I hate that it keeps recording
    > the same one 3 or 4 times over a couple of week period.

    There is nothing to "fix". YOU chose a theme channel, which by
    definition records ALL instances of a show across ALL channels. If this
    is not what you want, don't select it.

    > I don't know who the hell wrote the logic for that. They should have
    > used a little hard disk space to store the last several hundred or
    > thousand shows that I watched and/or deleted in the channels. As a
    > programmer I take offense to the stupidity of of. Thats probably why my
    > friend who turned me on to replay told me nobody uses the channels.

    I suppose that this would cause an equal number of complaints like it
    does with Tivo people where a show is not recorded because Tivo "thinks"
    it was even though the recorded one was pre-empted or the guide was
    wrong or whatever.

    > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you
    could delete
    > one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
    > show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same show
    > being rebroadcast the next hour.

    Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
    and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay
    channels. So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records
    all episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't
    chose it.

    "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
    > delete
    >> one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
    >> show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
    >> show being rebroadcast the next hour.
    >
    > Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
    > and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
    > So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
    > episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
    > it.

    It IS possible. I was in the channel guide and pressed the record buton to
    record the show. It recorded that show and the repeat right after it. I have
    set up recordings, although I may not have set them up "right", and have
    gotten the same episode recorded twice. I am still learning the software and
    procedures, so I am going to make mistakes. When the replay records the same
    episode, that is not my mistake.

    I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
    "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
    re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
    finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
    > delete
    >> one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
    >> show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
    >> show being rebroadcast the next hour.
    >
    > Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
    > and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
    > So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
    > episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
    > it.

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:32:04 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
    >"Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
    >re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
    >finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Margaret

    A lot of shows will come on multiple times a day. I've avoided a lot
    of duplicates by not watching right away .I have never seen a theme
    channel record duplicates (when the first is still on the Replay)
    unless it's a show without episode titles.

    Do your duplicate shows have episode titles (not just descriptions)?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Margaret Wilson wrote:
    > I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
    > "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
    > re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
    > finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Margaret

    There is no "first run" option on a theme channel Margaret. So I was
    saying he was in error. He had a Replay channel and a Replay channel
    won't record dupes. A Theme channel definitely will. The only options
    for themes are for what to do when you reach the number of shows in the
    allocation. It will either start deleting the oldest and replacing with
    the newest (if space needed) or delete the oldest for a "new" episode
    only. That is if the guide has it marked as "new".
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Danny Hobbs wrote:

    > "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> > I agree, if you had a database of previously recorded shows you could
    >>delete
    >>
    >>>one without fear of it being recorded again. What bugs me is I recorded a
    >>>show, First Run Only, and after the show was over it recorded the same
    >>>show being rebroadcast the next hour.
    >>
    >>Not possible. If a channel is marked "first run" it is a Replay channel
    >>and will NOT record 2 eps back to back. You would need 2 Replay channels.
    >>So it had to be a theme channel and by definition this records all
    >>episodes across all channels. If this is not what you want, don't chose
    >>it.
    >

    > It IS possible. I was in the channel guide and pressed the record buton to
    > record the show. It recorded that show and the repeat right after it. I have
    > set up recordings, although I may not have set them up "right", and have
    > gotten the same episode recorded twice. I am still learning the software and
    > procedures, so I am going to make mistakes. When the replay records the same
    > episode, that is not my mistake.

    It is NOT possible. If you set up a recurring Replay channel that says
    record CSI Monday at 9pm, the Replay will look for the show 1 time
    period before and 1 after the scheduled time to see if it has moved. If
    it has moved it will record the 1st show. IT WILL NOT RECORD BOTH. Only
    a Theme channel will record both (or 2 sep Replay channels) and Theme
    channels DO NOT HAVE the "first run" option. If you just highlighted a
    show in the guide and said "record THIS show", it would create a single
    Replay channel (non-recurring) and it would tape that show and the
    recurring Replay channel would record the second.

    You are creating Theme channels when you WANT Replay channels. And theme
    channels by def record ALL eps any time, any channel.

    Most people have combinations of Replay channels and Theme channels and
    you can also set theme priorities on theme channels to resolve
    conflicts. You can also have 2 different theme channels depending on
    howw you create them. If you do a manual find on "Law & Order" and then
    say "create the Law & Order theme channel", it will record Law & Order,
    Law & Order CI and Law & Order SVU. If you highlight "Law & Order" in
    the guide and "find all eps" and then create a theme channel, ONLY Law &
    Order will record.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:32:04 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    > <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
    >>"Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
    >>re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
    >>finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme
    >>channel.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Margaret
    >>

    > A lot of shows will come on multiple times a day. I've avoided a lot
    > of duplicates by not watching right away .I have never seen a theme
    > channel record duplicates (when the first is still on the Replay)
    > unless it's a show without episode titles.
    >
    > Do your duplicate shows have episode titles (not just descriptions)?

    I don't recall whether "Autopsy" had episode titles or not, and I've deleted
    all the episodes, so I can't check. From what you say, I'm assuming the
    shows had descriptions but not episode titles.

    Regards,

    Margaret
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Yeah, I realized that after I pressed "Send." Sorry.... :-) I know some
    others here love their theme channels, but the duplicates drove me nuts. So
    I've gone back to regular Replay channels.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    > Margaret Wilson wrote:
    >> I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
    >> "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
    >> re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too.
    >> I finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme
    >> channel.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Margaret
    >>
    > There is no "first run" option on a theme channel Margaret. So I was
    > saying he was in error. He had a Replay channel and a Replay channel won't
    > record dupes. A Theme channel definitely will. The only options for themes
    > are for what to do when you reach the number of shows in the allocation.
    > It will either start deleting the oldest and replacing with the newest (if
    > space needed) or delete the oldest for a "new" episode only. That is if
    > the guide has it marked as "new".
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:05:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Margaret Wilson wrote:
    >> I'm not so sure about this, Tony. I created a theme channel to record
    >> "Autopsy," and even though I kept the old episodes on the RTV, it kept
    >> re-recording duplicates. The episode descriptions were identical, too. I
    >> finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I ended up deleting the theme channel.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Margaret
    >>
    >There is no "first run" option on a theme channel Margaret. So I was
    >saying he was in error. He had a Replay channel and a Replay channel
    >won't record dupes. A Theme channel definitely will. The only options
    >for themes are for what to do when you reach the number of shows in the
    >allocation. It will either start deleting the oldest and replacing with
    >the newest (if space needed) or delete the oldest for a "new" episode
    >only. That is if the guide has it marked as "new".

    A theme channel will NOT record a duplicate if:

    1. The first instance of the show is still on the Replay.

    2. The show has an episode title.

    For multi-part shows, the part number is considered part of the
    episode title. Additional parts are not skipped.

    Shows without episode titles are considered potentially unique (there
    may be more than one episode without a title).

    The "first run" setting will not prevent most duplicates from being
    recorded, since it just uses a flag in the guide and that flag is set
    the same for each of the several showings. It's not a very useful
    feature. Non-theme channels miss most duplicates because they're
    inflexible (considering time and channel), not because of any "first
    run" setting.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    If I am not mistaken one of the options for Theme channels is "First run
    only" which avoids that problem

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    John in Detroit wrote:

    > If I am not mistaken one of the options for Theme channels is "First run
    > only" which avoids that problem

    You're mistaken. There is no "first run" option in themes. The only
    option in themes has to do with what to do when you reach the toal
    number of shows you set up in the channel. The options are to delete the
    oldest for each show it records or to delete the oldest only if the
    show to be recorded is marked as "New". If you have not reached the
    limit, it will record all eps, new or not.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 09:21:53 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >If I am not mistaken one of the options for Theme channels is "First run
    >only" which avoids that problem

    As I just said "first run only" will not keep duplicates from
    recording.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I figured that out but thanks anyway. Still, I do like Replay.

    I had a show I'd planned on burning to DVD but alas, did not quite get
    the old round tuit.

    So, turns out they are rerunning (It's a mini-serries) and, guess what,
    I forgot to delete the theme channel... So it looks like I'll do those
    DVD's anyway

    Tony D wrote:
    > John in Detroit wrote:
    >
    >> If I am not mistaken one of the options for Theme channels is "First
    >> run only" which avoids that problem
    >>

    > You're mistaken. There is no "first run" option in themes. The only
    > option in themes has to do with what to do when you reach the toal
    > number of shows you set up in the channel. The options are to delete the
    > oldest for each show it records or to delete the oldest only if the
    > show to be recorded is marked as "New". If you have not reached the
    > limit, it will record all eps, new or not.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >> Maybe so, but you'd think they would at least fix the channels. I
    >> like that it records random shows for me. But I hate that it keeps
    >> recording the same one 3 or 4 times over a couple of week period.
    >

    > There is nothing to "fix". YOU chose a theme channel, which by
    > definition records ALL instances of a show across ALL channels. If this
    > is not what you want, don't select it.

    I disagree, by the way I really meant themes. As a programmer I know
    Replay could keep a list of shows it's recorded and I've deleted for at
    least a few months. My Themes are some of the built in ones, such as
    movies now showing. So its pretty damn dumb to keep recording the same
    show over and over. So I consider it bad programming.

    I can't imagine anyone who would want the same Horror movie recording
    over and over again (I also use their horror and sci fi themes). So it
    is lazy and/or stupid programming. If they don't fix it, I wish would
    give us the source and a way to update there damn program ourselves.

    If they are willing to blow a gig for pictures, I'd like the option of
    blowing another gig for keeping track of what I've already deleted for
    some time period. Not just watched shows because sometimes I delete
    stuff out of themes that I never watched and I don't want those recorded
    either.

    I still use the themes because I like surprises. But all the needless
    redundancy really pisses me off.

    Tony D. wrote:

    >> I don't know who the hell wrote the logic for that. They should have
    >> used a little hard disk space to store the last several hundred or
    >> thousand shows that I watched and/or deleted in the channels. As a
    >> programmer I take offense to the stupidity of of. Thats probably why
    >> my friend who turned me on to replay told me nobody uses the channels.
    >

    > I suppose that this would cause an equal number of complaints like it
    > does with Tivo people where a show is not recorded because Tivo "thinks"
    > it was even though the recorded one was pre-empted or the guide was
    > wrong or whatever.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > I disagree, by the way I really meant themes. As a programmer I know
    > Replay could keep a list of shows it's recorded and I've deleted for at
    > least a few months. My Themes are some of the built in ones, such as
    > movies now showing. So its pretty damn dumb to keep recording the same
    > show over and over. So I consider it bad programming.

    Those are "Zone channels", which are even broader than theme channels.

    > I can't imagine anyone who would want the same Horror movie recording
    > over and over again (I also use their horror and sci fi themes). So it
    > is lazy and/or stupid programming. If they don't fix it, I wish would
    > give us the source and a way to update there damn program ourselves.

    Personally, I am not bothered in the least in having to spend a couple
    of seconds deleting dupes. I find it infinitely preferrable to the Tivo
    people bitching that a show was pre-empted or moved and the rebroadcast
    was not recorded because it thought it was "previously recorded".
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Tony D wrote:

    >> I disagree, by the way I really meant themes. As a programmer I know
    >> Replay could keep a list of shows it's recorded and I've deleted for
    >> at least a few months. My Themes are some of the built in ones, such
    >> as movies now showing. So its pretty damn dumb to keep recording the
    >> same show over and over. So I consider it bad programming.
    >

    > Those are "Zone channels", which are even broader than theme channels.
    >

    >> I can't imagine anyone who would want the same Horror movie recording
    >> over and over again (I also use their horror and sci fi themes). So
    >> it is lazy and/or stupid programming. If they don't fix it, I wish
    >> would give us the source and a way to update there damn program
    >> ourselves.
    >>

    > Personally, I am not bothered in the least in having to spend a couple
    > of seconds deleting dupes. I find it infinitely preferrable to the Tivo
    > people bitching that a show was pre-empted or moved and the rebroadcast
    > was not recorded because it thought it was "previously recorded".

    Don't misunderstand. I don't want a Tivo. As I understand it the video
    quality is much better with my Replay 5080 which I've had 3 years now.
    I also love the automatic skipping of commercials, when it works right.
    The deleting isn't the issue.

    The issue is, it could have been recording something I would have
    enjoyed. It's the 2 hours of wasted recording time that tics me off.
    Even worse are the shows I never want to watch. I can forgive the first
    recording. However, it should notice that I deleted the show. But for
    it to keep pushing one movie over and over for a couple of weeks that
    it's on HBO is ridiculous.

    I like to see that red light on all the time. For my channels of shows
    (such as Stargate Atlantis that I just watched), I'm very happy.

    So I stand by my analysis that the programming of the zone channel or
    whatever you call it was lazy and stupid. As I programmer I hate it
    when programmers don't consider the experience of the user of their
    software.

    I also understand why my friend doesn't use zones. But I'm lazy and not
    interested in checking the guide and programming in everything for it to
    record. Besides I like surprises, just like I liked to be surprised
    back when I channel surfed before I got the Replay.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Don't misunderstand. I don't want a Tivo. As I understand it the video
    > quality is much better with my Replay 5080 which I've had 3 years now. I
    > also love the automatic skipping of commercials, when it works right.
    > The deleting isn't the issue.

    I'm not misunderstanding. I'm just saying that you wished you had THIS
    feature, some people who HAVE this feature wish they didn't.

    > The issue is, it could have been recording something I would have
    > enjoyed. It's the 2 hours of wasted recording time that tics me off.
    > Even worse are the shows I never want to watch. I can forgive the first
    > recording. However, it should notice that I deleted the show. But for
    > it to keep pushing one movie over and over for a couple of weeks that
    > it's on HBO is ridiculous.

    I think the idea of the zones was not to set up shotgun recordings, but
    to streamline searches and to set shows to record individually. I mean
    you would say "record comedies", you'd look at the Comedy "zone" and say
    "I want that, and that....and that" and set up Replay or theme channels

    > So I stand by my analysis that the programming of the zone channel or
    > whatever you call it was lazy and stupid. As I programmer I hate it
    > when programmers don't consider the experience of the user of their
    > software.
    >
    > I also understand why my friend doesn't use zones. But I'm lazy and not
    > interested in checking the guide and programming in everything for it to
    > record. Besides I like surprises, just like I liked to be surprised
    > back when I channel surfed before I got the Replay.

    I am never surprised. I record exactly what I want. 70+ percent of
    Replay owners have more than 1. I have 6 networked. I never have any
    conflicts. All machines have Replay channels and theme channels. I'll
    set up Replay channels for the network recurring shows and premiere day
    eps on cable channels. Theme channels get past shows or other seasons I
    might not have seen. If a series starts which interests me by
    description or cast I'll record it even and not get to watch it until
    the repeat season. At lunch, I'll log in to my home system and through
    DVArchive check for conflicts and set up recordings for anything that
    might of showed up which interests me. I haven't watched a live show in
    months/years.

Ptv Replaytv ReplayTV