NBC Leno on AMC1 or AMC4?

Hi,
Newbie here, just got a FTA receiver (Fortec lifetime ultra, with
fsku-v LNBs) with one main goal- to get the east coast feed of Jay Leno
(I am on the west coast). I have a T90 toroidal dish and started with
AMC4 (just stuck the LNB on the system and got it without any
tweaking!). I get the ABN, Latino and KUIL fox channels with no
problems. Is the NBC station WVGN in the clear? Are there more
channels on this sat? I tried to tweak my signal but I think I have it
maxed out. When I go over to AMC1, I get the two safeway channels and
the two pentagon channels with good quality. There are a bunch of NBC
feeds on this sat. I can HEAR the Leno feed on a few of them but I
don't get any video. Is this a signal strength problem or is there no
video? Is this typical to get the audio without the video when the
signal is marginal? I have a bunch of trees so I can't hit any of the
other sats with NBC feeds without moving. May pick up a used primestar
to hit one of those while leaving my T90 for dish network. Anyone know
the location of any digital Ku east coast Leno feeds?
thanks,
jaime
6 answers Last reply
More about nbc leno amc1 amc4
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    jaimesummer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Newbie here, just got a FTA receiver (Fortec lifetime ultra, with
    > fsku-v LNBs) with one main goal- to get the east coast feed of Jay Leno
    > (I am on the west coast). I have a T90 toroidal dish and started with
    > AMC4 (just stuck the LNB on the system and got it without any
    > tweaking!). I get the ABN, Latino and KUIL fox channels with no
    > problems. Is the NBC station WVGN in the clear? Are there more
    > channels on this sat? I tried to tweak my signal but I think I have it
    > maxed out. When I go over to AMC1, I get the two safeway channels and
    > the two pentagon channels with good quality. There are a bunch of NBC
    > feeds on this sat. I can HEAR the Leno feed on a few of them but I
    > don't get any video. Is this a signal strength problem or is there no
    > video? Is this typical to get the audio without the video when the
    > signal is marginal? I have a bunch of trees so I can't hit any of the
    > other sats with NBC feeds without moving. May pick up a used primestar
    > to hit one of those while leaving my T90 for dish network. Anyone know
    > the location of any digital Ku east coast Leno feeds?
    > thanks,
    > jaime

    WVGN is in the clear on AMC 4. For a full list of what's on the
    satellites and what's in the clear for DVB check out:

    http://www.lyngsat.com/america

    Enjoy your new hobby.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA

    --
    I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.

    -Adam Savage, Mythbuster
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    > I can HEAR the Leno feed on a few of them but I
    > don't get any video. Is this a signal strength problem or is there no
    > video? Is this typical to get the audio without the video when the
    > signal is marginal? I have a bunch of trees so I can't hit any of the
    > other sats with NBC feeds without moving. May pick up a used primestar
    > to hit one of those while leaving my T90 for dish network. Anyone know
    > the location of any digital Ku east coast Leno feeds?
    > thanks,
    > jaime

    ++++++

    You need something that will receive the 4:2:2 video. There may be some
    FTA receiver that has this capability, but you may have to go with a PCI
    card and use your computer as an FTA receiver.

    Good Luck.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Thanks for the replies. Rick, so you can see WVGN? So it must be my
    signal isn't strong enough since I can see the ABN and FOX channels?
    Will a power scan (the name for a blind scan on the Fortec lifetime
    ultra?) catch this channel if it is there? The manual for this
    receiver is pretty lame, is there a manual way to dial in this channel?
    thanks,
    jaime

    Rich Piehl wrote:
    > jaimesummer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > Newbie here, just got a FTA receiver (Fortec lifetime ultra, with
    > > fsku-v LNBs) with one main goal- to get the east coast feed of Jay Leno
    > > (I am on the west coast). I have a T90 toroidal dish and started with
    > > AMC4 (just stuck the LNB on the system and got it without any
    > > tweaking!). I get the ABN, Latino and KUIL fox channels with no
    > > problems. Is the NBC station WVGN in the clear? Are there more
    > > channels on this sat? I tried to tweak my signal but I think I have it
    > > maxed out. When I go over to AMC1, I get the two safeway channels and
    > > the two pentagon channels with good quality. There are a bunch of NBC
    > > feeds on this sat. I can HEAR the Leno feed on a few of them but I
    > > don't get any video. Is this a signal strength problem or is there no
    > > video? Is this typical to get the audio without the video when the
    > > signal is marginal? I have a bunch of trees so I can't hit any of the
    > > other sats with NBC feeds without moving. May pick up a used primestar
    > > to hit one of those while leaving my T90 for dish network. Anyone know
    > > the location of any digital Ku east coast Leno feeds?
    > > thanks,
    > > jaime
    > >

    > WVGN is in the clear on AMC 4. For a full list of what's on the
    > satellites and what's in the clear for DVB check out:
    >
    > http://www.lyngsat.com/america
    >
    > Enjoy your new hobby.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Rich
    >
    > God bless the USA
    >
    > --
    > I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.
    >
    > -Adam Savage, Mythbuster
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    jaimesummer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies. Rick, so you can see WVGN? So it must be my
    > signal isn't strong enough since I can see the ABN and FOX channels?
    > Will a power scan (the name for a blind scan on the Fortec lifetime
    > ultra?) catch this channel if it is there? The manual for this
    > receiver is pretty lame, is there a manual way to dial in this channel?
    > thanks,
    > jaime

    Yes, I can get WVGN, without having to switch to 4:2:2 video, or
    anything fancy like that. It's a retransmission of WNBC - New York,
    right down to the local news.

    I compared the signal and quality between 3ABN, KUIL WVGN. The signal
    is about the same, but the quality is lower for WVGN than the other,
    two. It may take some more tweaking of your dish, or adjusting the skew
    to get WVGN.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA

    --
    I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.

    -Adam Savage, Mythbuster
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Thanks, will try and tweak some more to get WVGN. Sorry for calling
    you Rick instead of Rich, my eyes don't work as well as they used to
    (or is it the brain?)!
    jaime

    Rich Piehl wrote:
    > jaimesummer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Thanks for the replies. Rick, so you can see WVGN? So it must be my
    > > signal isn't strong enough since I can see the ABN and FOX channels?
    > > Will a power scan (the name for a blind scan on the Fortec lifetime
    > > ultra?) catch this channel if it is there? The manual for this
    > > receiver is pretty lame, is there a manual way to dial in this channel?
    > > thanks,
    > > jaime
    > >

    > Yes, I can get WVGN, without having to switch to 4:2:2 video, or
    > anything fancy like that. It's a retransmission of WNBC - New York,
    > right down to the local news.
    >
    > I compared the signal and quality between 3ABN, KUIL WVGN. The signal
    > is about the same, but the quality is lower for WVGN than the other,
    > two. It may take some more tweaking of your dish, or adjusting the skew
    > to get WVGN.
    >

    > Take care,
    > Rich
    >
    > God bless the USA
    >
    > --
    > I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.
    >
    > -Adam Savage, Mythbuster
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    jaimesummer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Thanks, will try and tweak some more to get WVGN. Sorry for calling
    > you Rick instead of Rich, my eyes don't work as well as they used to
    > (or is it the brain?)!
    > jaime

    Don't sweat it. I've been called a lot worse.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA
    --
    I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.

    -Adam Savage, Mythbuster

MPEG DVB Video