Wierdness w/ Mothly Activated Machine Compared to Lifetime..

I have three RTVs, all refurbs -- two lifetime activated 5040s and one
monthly activated 5504. I've only had the 5504 for a couple months. The
5040s I've had for over a year. Although I use all three machines to
record, I usually watch all my shows from the living room 5040. In
addition, I have a DVArchive box. My house is wired with CAT6, and I have
broadband access. All machines are configured with static IP addresses, and
the network configuration settings are identical (except for IP address!) on
each machine. Further, all RTVs are running the latest software version.
The living room RTV is connected to a digital cable box via svideo and
changes channels using the IR Blaster. The other two RTVs are connected via
RF to analog cable only.

When I just had the two 5040s and the DVArchive box, occasionally the
DVArchive box would "disappear" from the ReplayTV page on one or both of the
RTVs. Rebooting the RTV solved the problem. Now that I've added the 5504,
this happens more frequently, and quite often the 5040s and my DVArchive box
suddenly can't connect to the 5504. This often happens after I've streamed
a show from the 5504 and attempt to delete it. Other times, this works
perfectly. When this happen, however, if I go to the 5504, it can see all
the other devices and even stream shows from them. But pings to the 5504's
IP address fail. So it seems that outbound traffic is fine, but inbound
dies. Rebooting the 5504 fixes the problem. This has been happening often
enough that I started looking at my router's traffic logs. I've noticed
that there's a lot more outbound traffic from the 5040s than there is from
the 5504.

The 5040s connect to the following two IP addresses:

64.124.80.12 68 events between 7/29 and 8/2
64.124.80.9 2 events from 7/31 to 8/1

The 5504 connects to the following IP address only:

64.124.80.9 1 event on 7/31

Now the 5504 is the only RTV for which I've had monthly activation. At
ReplayTV.Com, I can see that the machine's activation is current. Other
than the strange network wierdnesses, all RTVs seem to function just fine.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? Or can someone shed some light
on what's going on?

Thanks and Regards,

Margaret
8 answers Last reply
More about wierdness mothly activated machine compared lifetime

    Margaret Wilson wrote:
    > I have three RTVs, all refurbs -- two lifetime activated 5040s and one
    > monthly activated 5504. I've only had the 5504 for a couple months. The
    > 5040s I've had for over a year. Although I use all three machines to
    > record, I usually watch all my shows from the living room 5040. In
    > addition, I have a DVArchive box. My house is wired with CAT6, and I have
    > broadband access. All machines are configured with static IP addresses, and
    > the network configuration settings are identical (except for IP address!) on
    > each machine. Further, all RTVs are running the latest software version.
    > The living room RTV is connected to a digital cable box via svideo and
    > changes channels using the IR Blaster. The other two RTVs are connected via
    > RF to analog cable only.
    >
    > When I just had the two 5040s and the DVArchive box, occasionally the
    > DVArchive box would "disappear" from the ReplayTV page on one or both of the
    > RTVs. Rebooting the RTV solved the problem. Now that I've added the 5504,
    > this happens more frequently, and quite often the 5040s and my DVArchive box
    > suddenly can't connect to the 5504. This often happens after I've streamed
    > a show from the 5504 and attempt to delete it. Other times, this works
    > perfectly. When this happen, however, if I go to the 5504, it can see all
    > the other devices and even stream shows from them. But pings to the 5504's
    > IP address fail. So it seems that outbound traffic is fine, but inbound
    > dies. Rebooting the 5504 fixes the problem. This has been happening often
    > enough that I started looking at my router's traffic logs. I've noticed
    > that there's a lot more outbound traffic from the 5040s than there is from
    > the 5504.
    >
    > The 5040s connect to the following two IP addresses:
    >
    > 64.124.80.12 68 events between 7/29 and 8/2
    > 64.124.80.9 2 events from 7/31 to 8/1
    >
    > The 5504 connects to the following IP address only:
    >
    > 64.124.80.9 1 event on 7/31
    >
    > Now the 5504 is the only RTV for which I've had monthly activation. At
    > ReplayTV.Com, I can see that the machine's activation is current. Other
    > than the strange network wierdnesses, all RTVs seem to function just fine.
    > Has anyone experienced anything like this? Or can someone shed some light
    > on what's going on?
    >
    > Thanks and Regards,
    >
    > Margaret

    Sounds like the classic Replay IP bug. Static IPs do not prevent the
    Replay from requesting an IP address from a DHCP server under certain
    conditions. Different sections of the Replay (firmware, software) wind
    up with different addresses. Set your router for reserved ip addresses
    for the Replays (DHCP set so as to supply the Replay's static address if
    a request comes from a device with the Replay's MAC address).

    DHCP is turned off on my router, though I did turn it on briefly a few weeks
    ago when I fixed a friend's computer. And now that I think about it, there
    was traffic from a DHCP address in my logs.... I generally keep DHCP turned
    off, because I have an older router (Linksys BEFSR41) which doesn't allow me
    to turn DHCP on and set reserved addresses for devices by MAC address. It's
    running the latest firmware, which is a year old, no signs of an update.
    Guess now that DHCP is turned off on the router, I'll have to see if the
    symptoms persist.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Margaret

    "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Margaret Wilson wrote:
    >> I have three RTVs, all refurbs -- two lifetime activated 5040s and one
    >> monthly activated 5504. I've only had the 5504 for a couple months. The
    >> 5040s I've had for over a year. Although I use all three machines to
    >> record, I usually watch all my shows from the living room 5040. In
    >> addition, I have a DVArchive box. My house is wired with CAT6, and I
    >> have broadband access. All machines are configured with static IP
    >> addresses, and the network configuration settings are identical (except
    >> for IP address!) on each machine. Further, all RTVs are running the
    >> latest software version. The living room RTV is connected to a digital
    >> cable box via svideo and changes channels using the IR Blaster. The
    >> other two RTVs are connected via RF to analog cable only.
    >>
    >> When I just had the two 5040s and the DVArchive box, occasionally the
    >> DVArchive box would "disappear" from the ReplayTV page on one or both of
    >> the RTVs. Rebooting the RTV solved the problem. Now that I've added the
    >> 5504, this happens more frequently, and quite often the 5040s and my
    >> DVArchive box suddenly can't connect to the 5504. This often happens
    >> after I've streamed a show from the 5504 and attempt to delete it. Other
    >> times, this works perfectly. When this happen, however, if I go to the
    >> 5504, it can see all the other devices and even stream shows from them.
    >> But pings to the 5504's IP address fail. So it seems that outbound
    >> traffic is fine, but inbound dies. Rebooting the 5504 fixes the problem.
    >> This has been happening often enough that I started looking at my
    >> router's traffic logs. I've noticed that there's a lot more outbound
    >> traffic from the 5040s than there is from the 5504.
    >>
    >> The 5040s connect to the following two IP addresses:
    >>
    >> 64.124.80.12 68 events between 7/29 and 8/2
    >> 64.124.80.9 2 events from 7/31 to 8/1
    >>
    >> The 5504 connects to the following IP address only:
    >>
    >> 64.124.80.9 1 event on 7/31
    >>
    >> Now the 5504 is the only RTV for which I've had monthly activation. At
    >> ReplayTV.Com, I can see that the machine's activation is current. Other
    >> than the strange network wierdnesses, all RTVs seem to function just
    >> fine. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Or can someone shed
    >> some light on what's going on?
    >>
    >> Thanks and Regards,
    >>
    >> Margaret
    >>

    > Sounds like the classic Replay IP bug. Static IPs do not prevent the
    > Replay from requesting an IP address from a DHCP server under certain
    > conditions. Different sections of the Replay (firmware, software) wind up
    > with different addresses. Set your router for reserved ip addresses for
    > the Replays (DHCP set so as to supply the Replay's static address if a
    > request comes from a device with the Replay's MAC address).

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:16:36 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >DHCP is turned off on my router, though I did turn it on briefly a few weeks
    >ago when I fixed a friend's computer. And now that I think about it, there
    >was traffic from a DHCP address in my logs.... I generally keep DHCP turned
    >off, because I have an older router (Linksys BEFSR41) which doesn't allow me
    >to turn DHCP on and set reserved addresses for devices by MAC address. It's
    >running the latest firmware, which is a year old, no signs of an update.
    >Guess now that DHCP is turned off on the router, I'll have to see if the
    >symptoms persist.
    >
    >Thanks and Regards,

    Linksys routers (I have one too) don't support address reservation
    (some people seem to think all routers must be just like thiers). Turn
    DHCP off and either set static addresses (for all devices on your
    network) or install a program (on any computer) that acts as a DHCP
    server that does support address reservation. I have been using the
    program from http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm . It takes
    a bit of intelligence to set up but works well. I have been using it
    for several months now with no problems.

    Read the documentation, but if you need any more help I can tell you
    what I did.

    My current LAN IP setup (not my public IP):

    192.168.1.1 (static IP) router (Linksys)

    192.168.1.9 (static IP) "sam", computer running the DHCP server
    described above and some other LAN stuff.

    192.168.1.10 "mike", my main computer (the one I'm typing this on)

    192.168.1.11 "rodney", an onler computer in the bedroom

    192.168.1.12 "jerry", another computer running DVArchive (which works
    better on a faster computer)

    192.168.1.20 "mary", my main Replay (5080)

    192.168.1.21 "ronnie", Replay 5060

    192.168.1.22 "shirla". Replay 5504

    Note that you can specity your router's LAN IP for DNS servers and the
    router will forward it properly. At least that works on Linksys.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    Thanks for the link to the DHCP server software, Mark. My network only has
    five devices, and they're already configured with static IPs. (I use an
    LMHOSTS file so the computers can find each other by name.) I normally keep
    DHCP turned off. But I turned it on when I fixed my friend's computer and
    must have forgotten to turn it off. I'll definitely check out that software
    you mentioned, though, sounds interesting.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Margaret

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    >>Margaret
    >>
    >>"Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like the classic Replay IP bug. Static IPs do not prevent the
    >>> Replay from requesting an IP address from a DHCP server under certain
    >>> conditions. Different sections of the Replay (firmware, software) wind
    >>> up
    >>> with different addresses. Set your router for reserved ip addresses for
    >>> the Replays (DHCP set so as to supply the Replay's static address if a
    >>> request comes from a device with the Replay's MAC address).
    >>

    > --
    > Mark Lloyd
    > has a Replay 5xxx
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >
    > "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    > created and still runs this old universe is so
    > childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    > believe anyone with even a modicum of education can

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 22:45:37 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the link to the DHCP server software, Mark. My network only has
    >five devices, and they're already configured with static IPs. (I use an
    >LMHOSTS file so the computers can find each other by name.) I normally keep
    >DHCP turned off. But I turned it on when I fixed my friend's computer and
    >must have forgotten to turn it off. I'll definitely check out that software
    >you mentioned, though, sounds interesting.
    >
    >Thanks and Regards,
    >
    >Margaret

    You still might want to try the DNS solution I posted. It keeps your
    internet access from failing when your ISP changes DNS server
    addresses, and works with either static IPs or the DHCP server I
    posted about. I originally got the idea from another post here. It
    worked (at least on my Linksys router) despite the fact there was no
    mention of it in the manual.

    --

    > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 22:45:37 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    > <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for the link to the DHCP server software, Mark. My network only
    >>has
    >>five devices, and they're already configured with static IPs. (I use an
    >>LMHOSTS file so the computers can find each other by name.) I normally
    >>keep
    >>DHCP turned off. But I turned it on when I fixed my friend's computer and
    >>must have forgotten to turn it off. I'll definitely check out that
    >>software
    >>you mentioned, though, sounds interesting.
    >>
    >>Thanks and Regards,
    >>
    >>Margaret
    >>

    > You still might want to try the DNS solution I posted. It keeps your
    > internet access from failing when your ISP changes DNS server
    > addresses, and works with either static IPs or the DHCP server I
    > posted about. I originally got the idea from another post here. It
    > worked (at least on my Linksys router) despite the fact there was no
    > mention of it in the manual.

    DNS solution? Did I miss something, or do you mean the DHCP software you
    mentioned? I'm already using dyndns.org with DirectUpdate software. But
    it's no longer really necessary, as my ISP is actually my local university
    (and employer) which hasn't changed its DNS addresses in many years.
    Further, they havn't reassigned my WAN IP address since I've had it. The
    only way I'd get a new IP address via DHCP is by changing routers ... that
    is, unless I used the clone MAC address feature. This all may sound rather
    strange, but it's very convenient for accessing campus resources when
    working from home, since my WAN IP address is within the university's
    A-class range.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:29:28 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 22:45:37 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    >> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks for the link to the DHCP server software, Mark. My network only
    >>>has
    >>>five devices, and they're already configured with static IPs. (I use an
    >>>LMHOSTS file so the computers can find each other by name.) I normally
    >>>keep
    >>>DHCP turned off. But I turned it on when I fixed my friend's computer and
    >>>must have forgotten to turn it off. I'll definitely check out that
    >>>software
    >>>you mentioned, though, sounds interesting.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks and Regards,
    >>>
    >>>Margaret
    >>>

    >> You still might want to try the DNS solution I posted. It keeps your
    >> internet access from failing when your ISP changes DNS server
    >> addresses, and works with either static IPs or the DHCP server I
    >> posted about. I originally got the idea from another post here. It
    >> worked (at least on my Linksys router) despite the fact there was no
    >> mention of it in the manual.
    >
    >DNS solution? Did I miss something, or do you mean the DHCP software you
    >mentioned? I'm already using dyndns.org with DirectUpdate software. But
    >it's no longer really necessary, as my ISP is actually my local university
    >(and employer) which hasn't changed its DNS addresses in many years.

    Which doesn't mean they won't.

    >Further, they havn't reassigned my WAN IP address since I've had it. The
    >only way I'd get a new IP address via DHCP is by changing routers ... that
    >is, unless I used the clone MAC address feature.

    Mine is like that too (IP seldom changes). However it CAN change at
    any time. It's calcualted by a hash function, and someone else may be
    a little faster getting connected afer an outage and get the IP you
    used to have.

    > This all may sound rather
    >strange, but it's very convenient for accessing campus resources when
    >working from home, since my WAN IP address is within the university's
    >A-class range.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Margaret

    No. What I said has NOTHING to do with your public IP or dyndns.org.
    It has to do with YOUR computers accessing DNS (such as when you
    connected to your usenet news server). Also, what I'm talking about is
    all on the LAN side of your router, not the WAN side.

    When you have dynamic LAN IPs, each device (Replay, computer, etc...)
    obtains the DNS server addresses from your router (these are usually
    provided to it by your ISP).

    If you use static addressing, you set the DNS server addresses
    manually on that device. If you use the static DHCP server software,
    you set them in it's configuration file (dhcpsrv.ini). In either case,
    they will NOT be automatically updated when your ISP changes DNS
    servers (note that I did NOT say "public IP").

    However, there is an undocumented feature in the Linksys routers that
    can help. Because of this, specifying your router's LAN IP (probably
    192.168.1.1) for the DNS servers (samel as gateway) will always work.
    You can set your devices (or the software) to use it. The router will
    translate it into a value provided by your ISP.

    --

    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:29:28 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    > <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > Which doesn't mean they won't.

    Well, the IP addresses of our DNS servers haven't changed since my U got its
    Internet connection in the early-mid 80s. If they were to change them, it
    would be well publicized, and I would know, because I work there....

    >>Further, they havn't reassigned my WAN IP address since I've had it. The
    >>only way I'd get a new IP address via DHCP is by changing routers ... that
    >>is, unless I used the clone MAC address feature.
    >
    > Mine is like that too (IP seldom changes). However it CAN change at
    > any time. It's calcualted by a hash function, and someone else may be
    > a little faster getting connected afer an outage and get the IP you
    > used to have.

    Perhaps that's how the initial IP is calculated. But otherwise, nope, we
    use a DHCP registration service. My WAN IP is actually registered to my
    university network ID. (This is an ID/password that allows me to access all
    sorts of online services at the U.) I can have multiple IPs, that is, I'd
    get an additional one if I changed my router and didn't clone the MAC
    address of my first router. The only other way I'd lose my original IP is
    if I de-register it myself via the aforementioned DHCP service, or if the IP
    was inactive for a lengthy period of time. The reason we did this is, in
    part, to allow faculty to go on leave and get the same IP when they return.

    >> This all may sound rather
    >>strange, but it's very convenient for accessing campus resources when
    >>working from home, since my WAN IP address is within the university's
    >>A-class range.

    > No. What I said has NOTHING to do with your public IP or dyndns.org.
    > It has to do with YOUR computers accessing DNS (such as when you
    > connected to your usenet news server). Also, what I'm talking about is
    > all on the LAN side of your router, not the WAN side.

    Mark, I understand what you're saying. My last statement was merely a
    comment to illustrate the usefulness of our non-standard implementation of
    DHCP. I'm an MCSE-certified network professional who's been in the business
    for more than 20 years. So you don't need to explain the difference between
    WAN & LAN to me....

    > When you have dynamic LAN IPs, each device (Replay, computer, etc...)
    > obtains the DNS server addresses from your router (these are usually
    > provided to it by your ISP).
    >
    > If you use static addressing, you set the DNS server addresses
    > manually on that device. If you use the static DHCP server software,
    > you set them in it's configuration file (dhcpsrv.ini). In either case,
    > they will NOT be automatically updated when your ISP changes DNS
    > servers (note that I did NOT say "public IP").
    >
    > However, there is an undocumented feature in the Linksys routers that
    > can help. Because of this, specifying your router's LAN IP (probably
    > 192.168.1.1) for the DNS servers (samel as gateway) will always work.
    > You can set your devices (or the software) to use it. The router will
    > translate it into a value provided by your ISP.

    If I change ISPs, this becomes an issue. But I'm currently in the fortunate
    position of having my IP and DNS server IPs stay the same....

    Regards,

    Margaret

Ptv Replaytv