Do I need VRM cooling for my overclock?

Do I need some form of VRM cooling for a 4.5GHz overclock?

• Total voters

OCMAD

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
I have purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) and wish to overclock my AMD A10 5800k to 4.5GHz. My Evo will be in a pull configuration and the fan will be mounted towards the back of the case (because I have tall ram). Therefore minimal air will be blowing over the VRM's...

I have been advised to add cooling to my MOBO's (MSI FM2-A75MA-E35) VRMs since it does not have any cooling on them currently. Is this true that I will need the cooling? Do all of the VRMs need cooling if any? Could you also please recommend parts if cooling is needed?

Thanks in advance!

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012
First of all your board is only a 3+2 phase. Not good for Overclocking. When choosing a board to OC you want at least
6+2. There is no heatsink on the Vrms. Your asking for your mobo to throttle. Plus you are making you cpu cooler
close to ineffective. It is depends on the fan to push air through the cooler not just pull. I hate to be the bearer of this news
but it is what it is. When OCing you need overkill in every area especially cooling. Not underkill.

Bresser

Reputable
May 1, 2014
If you have 2 or 3 good quality case fans you should be fine. The hyper 212 evo can not cool the vrms effectively by itself. With 2 good intakes and a exhaust fan you would be fine with those and the hyper 212 evo.