Help me with setting up GPU properly

maroofsm

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
My cpu is Intel i5 4570 and mobo is Gigabyte B85M-D3H. Today I have bought a Sapphire AMD R9 270 GPU. For installation procedure, what I did is, first disabled the onboard graphics from device/hardware manager, then shut dpwn the pc, put the gpu on PCIEX16 slot (the top one), turned on the pc and installed the driver/software. However, I noticed that in bios, onboard graphics was still enabled (which should become disabled automatically) and some memory out my total 8GB was shared. So I disabled the onboard graphics from the bios. However, there is a option called "Initial Display First" on bios peripheral settings where there are 4 things to be selected:

IGFX
PCIE 1
PCIE 2
PCI

now which one should I choose for installing the external AMD gpu?

dovah-chan

Honorable
If you plugged your monitor cables directly into your GPU then you should be able to just load into windows and install the drivers and be set without having to disable the integrated gpu as it'll do that automatically once the discrete card drivers are installed.

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
1. Put your memory into Dual Channel Mode, by putting them 1 slot apart from each other. It should be labeled on your MOBO.
2. Put the GPU into the PCIx16 slot because it offers 4 times the bandwidth.
3. Make sure you install the CD that comes with your motherboard so that you have all of your base drivers.
4. Install the CD that should come with your GPU to get its basic display driver.
5. Boot up and install windows updates and upgrade the AMD R9 290 to Driver 14.4 or Beta 14.7

If this fails, boot into safe mode with networking and install the drivers that way.
*You shouldn't have to disable on board graphics, that is not needed.

maroofsm

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014

thnx but what should be the proper option selected for that "Initial Display First" from the mentioned 4 options in bios?

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
I believe it should be called "PCIEx" depending on your BIOS, if not, try the option that says PCIE1 since that is the primary slot the GPU should be in.