DirecTv Tivo R10 hacking

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

hi,

i would like to record some of these shows that i have recorded to my
pc. according to what I have read through some of the news groups that
the r10 CAN'T be networked and my wife will NOT let me crack the case
to hack at it that way! Can it be done and what version of Linux is it
running, filesystem, etc...?

A summary of my questions:
1.) What version of Linux is it running?
2.) Is there a way to record multi shows without interaction?
3.) Is there a Tivo system that I can network to get the show off it?
4 answers Last reply
More about directv tivo r10 hacking
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    "Michael" <mbw4359@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > i would like to record some of these shows that i have recorded to my
    > pc. according to what I have read through some of the news groups that
    > the r10 CAN'T be networked and my wife will NOT let me crack the case
    > to hack at it that way! Can it be done and what version of Linux is it
    > running, filesystem, etc...?
    >
    > A summary of my questions:
    > 1.) What version of Linux is it running?
    > 2.) Is there a way to record multi shows without interaction?
    > 3.) Is there a Tivo system that I can network to get the show off it?

    You can not do it with a DirecTiVo without cracking the case. You can use a
    video capture card to capture the analog output on your PC, but take a
    quality hit.

    Only the StandAlones currently support exporting the video natively. But
    there, you're taking the same analog hit (cause they get their signal from
    the analogs outputs, in your case, from a regular DirecTV receiver). And it
    would be cheaper to buy another R10 to hack than it would to get a
    StandAlone with subscription.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    In article <1122651877.968915.194340@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "Michael" <mbw4359@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i would like to record some of these shows that i have recorded to my
    > pc. according to what I have read through some of the news groups that
    > the r10 CAN'T be networked and my wife will NOT let me crack the case
    > to hack at it that way! Can it be done and what version of Linux is it
    > running, filesystem, etc...?
    >
    > A summary of my questions:
    > 1.) What version of Linux is it running?
    > 2.) Is there a way to record multi shows without interaction?
    > 3.) Is there a Tivo system that I can network to get the show off it?

    http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/62slices.html
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in news:jackzwick-
    FCC823.14142329072005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com:

    > In article <1122651877.968915.194340@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > "Michael" <mbw4359@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> i would like to record some of these shows that i have recorded to my
    >> pc. according to what I have read through some of the news groups
    that
    >> the r10 CAN'T be networked and my wife will NOT let me crack the case
    >> to hack at it that way! Can it be done and what version of Linux is
    it
    >> running, filesystem, etc...?
    >>
    >> A summary of my questions:
    >> 1.) What version of Linux is it running?

    TiVo's own version (which itself isn't known publically by versions,
    just the system software installation as a whold is known by a version
    number, 6.1 in the case of an R-10), nothing like a PC distro, as the
    TiVo is not a PC.
    Not relavent since you don't want to open the case.

    >> 2.) Is there a way to record multi shows without interaction?

    Not without hacking.

    >> 3.) Is there a Tivo system that I can network to get the show off it?

    Yes, Standalone Series 2s that are not DVD recorders ( the DVD recroders
    units will get the software allowing transfer to PCs later this year.)

    > http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/62slices.html

    That applies only to pre-R10 DirecTV DVRs.

    Michael wrote:

    > When I said version I meant Kernel distr ( Slackware, Red Hat, etc....)

    None of the above. You don't have to use any distribution at all, you
    know. Just grab the sources off of an FTP server and build your own.
    That is the sort of thing that the programmers at TiVo have done.

    > what will the file names be named and is there some type of conversion
    > to get them to mpeg?

    There are no *.mpg files. On the big disk partition, there are no files
    period.

    Recordings are stored as one or more large objects in a proprietary
    database. For example:

    Recording 3271780/10 {
    Version = 81
    BitRate = 0
    ExpirationTime = 66600
    ProgramSource = 2875218/-1
    RecordQuality = 75
    RecordingBehavior = 3271780/12
    Score = 0
    Showing = 3271780/11
    UsedBy = 1
    SubPriority = 39
    StartDate = 12832
    StartTime = 66598
    ActualShowing = 3271780/14
    Part = 3271780/13 3271780/15 3271780/16 3271780/17
    3271780/18 3271780/19 3271780/20
    StopDate = 12832
    StopTime = 78000
    State = 4
    DeletionDate = 24855
    StreamFileSize = 3588096
    NSecondsWatched = 42
    NVisit = 1
    ExpirationDate = 12948
    SelectionType = 3
    IndexUsed = 3271780/11 3271780/12
    IndexPath = /Recording/Active/1:12832:66598:3271780
    /Recording/SeasonPass/02875218/87167:33399:3271780
    /Recording/TmsId/MV0039790000:87167:33401:3271780
    /Recording/NowShowingByClassic/2:87167:33401:3271780
    /Recording/NowShowingByExpiration/2:12948:66600:3271780
    {/Recording/NowShowingByTitle/1:NICHOLAS AND
    ALEXANDRA TOM BAKER:87167:33401:3271780}
    /Recording/DiskUsed/10/3271780:3588096
    }

    See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivo#External_links

    -Joe