Help me pick out a monitor from Amazon's sale preferably around $250 or less! First Desktop build!

The Jasmine Dragon

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
So amazon is having a 30% off deal today on a few monitors. Basically I want a good monitor for gaming that has great picture quality and doesn't have any ghosting. I'd like a good refresh rate as well. I'm fine with having a response time of 5ms. A lower response time would be great but I won't be upset if I have to sacrifice it for picture quality. Please let me know asap! Thank you!

Solution
Our 120 Hz model is the 2012 model, it's not for sale anymore ... the 144 Mhz is the current model.

Again, to my eyes, there is simply no comparison in gaming between the 144 Hz TN monitors and anything else I have ever seen. Accurate color rending is important when doing photo editing.... you don't want grandmas cheeks in her glamor shots looking overly red so that she looks like she's a madam in an ole western bordello. That's why we bought an IPS monitor

OTOH, gaming is artwork.... will it affect your gameplay experience if superman's costume is cornflower or lavender ? The 144 Hz TN has better response time, better contrast, better brightness, better under low light conditions,smoother edges, does 3D and fully supports...
Asus IPS

asus_pa248q.jpg

Asus 144Hz TN

asus_vg278he.jpg

The Jasmine Dragon

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

The Jasmine Dragon

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Is the 120 hz Asus the one you linked in the review? How does that compare with color quality on the 144Hz model? Is it better? I'm also considering this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Gaming-Monitor-RL2455HM-24-Inch/dp/B007HSKSMI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top I know it's only 74hz but I don't really need it for fps games. The only fps game I'd really be playing on my pc would be TF2.

Our 120 Hz model is the 2012 model, it's not for sale anymore ... the 144 Mhz is the current model.

Again, to my eyes, there is simply no comparison in gaming between the 144 Hz TN monitors and anything else I have ever seen. Accurate color rending is important when doing photo editing.... you don't want grandmas cheeks in her glamor shots looking overly red so that she looks like she's a madam in an ole western bordello. That's why we bought an IPS monitor

OTOH, gaming is artwork.... will it affect your gameplay experience if superman's costume is cornflower or lavender ? The 144 Hz TN has better response time, better contrast, better brightness, better under low light conditions,smoother edges, does 3D and fully supports Lightboost / G-Sync. That's why the IPS system goes unused when 2 people are gaming .... last one in gets the IPS.

IPS excels in better viewing angles.... so if you game with 2 people sitting on either side of you the outside folks may not have as good a view. The IPS has better color accuracy....not sharper color, not brighter color, not deeper colors but they will show you more accurate screen colors, with one big caveat. If you haven't calibrated the screen, you wasting ya money on IPS. This will explain why

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overlord-tempest-x270oc-monitor,3879-3.html

If you want to understand why 144 Hz TN excels in gaming, read this review.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

many peeps still prefer IPS over TN, we all ain't "built" the same.... Best thing for you to do is go out and look at some panels and read some reviews.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS