What CPU to buy?

grantis_atlantis

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I'm building a mini itx pc in a corsair 250D. My motherboard is going to be the asus z97i-plus and my graphics card is the XFX Radeon 7870 2GB. I currently have a 3rd gen intel i5 3470 lga 1155. I'm looking for some advice on a CPU because I don't want to waste money on one that has capabilities that I will never use, I primarily use my computer for just internet browsing and gaming and possibly video editing down the road but nothing too intensive or extreme. I just want to know what the best processor would be for my needs that is of the best value. Also i would like to buy one that is at least an i5, but I am open to all suggestions. One last thing is that is has to be lga 1150 and z97 so it's compatible with the z97i-plus.

Thanks!

spliceberry101

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
i5 4690k....
Its the new devil's canyon haswell refresh... and it is an excellent processor. Might as well get the unlocked one, being as you have the Z97 mobo.

Unless, you think never in a million years would you overclock, then get the 4590 @3.3ghz and save $40

+1 for that.

I can't recommend anything below an i5 because I own an i3, and really, two cores is not enough, hyperthreading or no hyperthreading.

Really, I would get the i5-4460 if you aren't a serious gamer or anything. It will video edit just fine and game incredibly.

However, if you have $50-60 to burn over the 4460, and you really want to be future-ready and overclock, get the i5-4690K, and you won't regret it.