Help!!!

Ok, over the past few days I have been researching this FTA stuff. I have a
bunch of questions. What is the best size dish to get? Will an 18" BEV dish
an LNB work? How about a Starchoice 30" and LNB? What is a good receiver to
purchase? Is the MultiStar Maximum 2500 any good? I want to purchase a good
all around receiver without spending too much. Please help out a newbie
here.

Thanks
Glenn
10 answers Last reply
More about question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "Glenn Squire" <gsquire@NODAMNSPAM.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in

    > Ok, over the past few days I have been researching this FTA stuff. I
    > have a bunch of questions. What is the best size dish to get? Will an
    > 18" BEV dish an LNB work? How about a Starchoice 30" and LNB? What is
    > a good receiver to purchase? Is the MultiStar Maximum 2500 any good? I
    > want to purchase a good all around receiver without spending too much.
    > Please help out a newbie here.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Glenn

    the DBS dish and LNBF will get only the FTA BEV/Dish channels. the SC 30"
    is the lower ed of the disg size you should have.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    OK, but what if I point it to another Sat.? WOuldn't the BEV dish and LNB
    work for other sats?

    "Gary Tait" <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Glenn Squire" <gsquire@NODAMNSPAM.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in
    >
    >> Ok, over the past few days I have been researching this FTA stuff. I
    >> have a bunch of questions. What is the best size dish to get? Will an
    >> 18" BEV dish an LNB work? How about a Starchoice 30" and LNB? What is
    >> a good receiver to purchase? Is the MultiStar Maximum 2500 any good? I
    >> want to purchase a good all around receiver without spending too much.
    >> Please help out a newbie here.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Glenn
    >>

    > the DBS dish and LNBF will get only the FTA BEV/Dish channels. the SC 30"
    > is the lower ed of the disg size you should have.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Glenn Squire wrote:
    > OK, but what if I point it to another Sat.? WOuldn't the BEV dish and LNB
    > work for other sats?

    Only for FTA stuff on other satellites with circular polarity. For
    anything on the KU side of, say, IA5 or G10, you need a LNB that handles
    linear polarity. And an 18" dish is too small to pick up anything from
    C-Band

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA
    --
    I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.

    -Adam Savage, Mythbuster
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    OK. I am not interested in C band. Just KU and FTA. I am already subscribed
    to SC so I have all the programming that I want anyway. . I am just into
    this as an hobby project. So..... What is the smallest dish, What LNB and
    what FTA receiver should I purchase for my new hobby?

    The reason why I mentioned the BEV dish was....I have just purchsed a new
    home. It comes with both BEV and SC antennas. I currently subscribe to SC
    and I would like ot use the BEV dish & LNB for my new upcomming FTA hobby if
    possible. If not....what dish, lnb and Recv to buy. Sorry for all the
    questions, but this seems like it could be a fun project.

    Thanks a bunch,
    Glenn

    "Rich Piehl" <rpiehl5REMOVETHIS@FORNOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message
    > Glenn Squire wrote:
    >> OK, but what if I point it to another Sat.? WOuldn't the BEV dish and LNB
    >> work for other sats?
    >>

    > Only for FTA stuff on other satellites with circular polarity. For
    > anything on the KU side of, say, IA5 or G10, you need a LNB that handles
    > linear polarity. And an 18" dish is too small to pick up anything from
    > C-Band
    >
    > Take care,
    > Rich
    >
    > God bless the USA
    > --
    > I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.
    >
    > -Adam Savage, Mythbuster
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    When I first got started, and addicted, I purchased a Fortec 90cm dish, with
    a FSKU-V universal LNB, and
    a H H motor, all from Sadoun.com
    I bought a Sat Cruiser DRS 101 Plus + from satcruiser.com, but if I had to
    do it all again, I would
    buy a better "blind search" receiver like the new Fortec model, also
    available from Sadoun.

    Jeff

    "Glenn Squire" <gsquire@NODAMNSPAM.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > OK. I am not interested in C band. Just KU and FTA. I am already
    > subscribed to SC so I have all the programming that I want anyway. . I am
    > just into this as an hobby project. So..... What is the smallest dish,
    > What LNB and what FTA receiver should I purchase for my new hobby?
    >
    > The reason why I mentioned the BEV dish was....I have just purchsed a new
    > home. It comes with both BEV and SC antennas. I currently subscribe to SC
    > and I would like ot use the BEV dish & LNB for my new upcomming FTA hobby
    > if possible. If not....what dish, lnb and Recv to buy. Sorry for all the
    > questions, but this seems like it could be a fun project.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    > Glenn
    >

    > "Rich Piehl" <rpiehl5REMOVETHIS@FORNOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message
    >> Glenn Squire wrote:
    >>> OK, but what if I point it to another Sat.? WOuldn't the BEV dish and
    >>> LNB work for other sats?
    >>>

    >> Only for FTA stuff on other satellites with circular polarity. For
    >> anything on the KU side of, say, IA5 or G10, you need a LNB that handles
    >> linear polarity. And an 18" dish is too small to pick up anything from
    >> C-Band
    >>
    >> Take care,
    >> Rich
    >>
    >> God bless the USA
    >> --
    >> I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.
    >>
    >> -Adam Savage, Mythbuster

  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    You need a 30 " dish(or larger!),a linear lnbf and of course an mpeg-2 fta
    receiver,pref. with blind search

    An 18 " dish is too small for standard ku band(it's ok for DBS,because they
    use a higher freq. and higher power) -and they also use circular
    polarization.Standard kuuses linear.

    "Glenn Squire" <gsquire@NODAMNSPAM.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > Ok, over the past few days I have been researching this FTA stuff. I have
    > a bunch of questions. What is the best size dish to get? Will an 18" BEV
    > dish an LNB work? How about a Starchoice 30" and LNB? What is a good
    > receiver to purchase? Is the MultiStar Maximum 2500 any good? I want to
    > purchase a good all around receiver without spending too much. Please help
    > out a newbie here.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Glenn

  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    "Glenn Squire" <gsquire@NODAMNSPAM.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in

    > OK. I am not interested in C band. Just KU and FTA. I am already
    > subscribed to SC so I have all the programming that I want anyway. . I
    > am just into .......

    +++++++++++

    What is "SC" ?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Star Choice
    "Pseud O. Nym" <pon@blurry-vision.com> wrote in message
    > "Glenn Squire" <gsquire@NODAMNSPAM.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in
    >
    >> OK. I am not interested in C band. Just KU and FTA. I am already
    >> subscribed to SC so I have all the programming that I want anyway. . I
    >> am just into .......
    >>

    > +++++++++++
    >

    > What is "SC" ?

  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    OK I have located a Starchoice dish with single LNB. The dish is 30". Will
    this serve my purpose? If this is ok to start with I may upgrade to a larger
    dish later. Any choices on on a mpeg-2 fta? How about the KUSAT PRO 2600?
    It's cheap @ $95 CAD. Any thoughts?

    "Valdivar" <rebelleader68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You need a 30 " dish(or larger!),a linear lnbf and of course an mpeg-2 fta
    > receiver,pref. with blind search
    >
    > An 18 " dish is too small for standard ku band(it's ok for DBS,because
    > they use a higher freq. and higher power) -and they also use circular
    > polarization.Standard kuuses linear.
    >

    > "Glenn Squire" <gsquire@NODAMNSPAM.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    >> Ok, over the past few days I have been researching this FTA stuff. I have
    >> a bunch of questions. What is the best size dish to get? Will an 18" BEV
    >> dish an LNB work? How about a Starchoice 30" and LNB? What is a good
    >> receiver to purchase? Is the MultiStar Maximum 2500 any good? I want to
    >> purchase a good all around receiver without spending too much. Please
    >> help out a newbie here.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Glenn

  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    > OK, but what if I point it to another Sat.? WOuldn't the BEV dish and
    > LNB work for other sats?

    Only DBS sats, and since only BEV and Dish use DVB, they are the only ones
    that use DBS and DVB.

MPEG DVB Video