Photoshopped Websites and the ADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa A

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
I design websites for a few friends who run small businesses. Nothing much, but it's something I like to do. I use Photoshop CS3, and make everything there. I turn it into slices, and export to an HTML file. I take that file into Dreamweaver, and edit the page background, add hotspots,...

Everyone loves their website. I don't have to use any layout standards, so I'm free to do whatever they want.

I've read that the DOJ will be applying new standards for the Americans with Disabilities Act. What's the easiest way to get compliant? I've thought about a page redirect for certain browsers, but don't know how to do that for all "accessibility browsers". I have done it, though, for iOS devices in the past (Based on screen size).

My next thought was to use really long ALT Tags. But, then, I read this: How Long Can An ALT Attribute Be?

I'm kind of at a standstill. My friends will never want to go to a more-basic design, and they need to be compliant sites. One of my friends is a Realtor- I've heard that realty sites may be targeted for ADA Compliance.

Any thoughts?

Have you taken a look at the ADA Tool Kit: Website Accessibility? The information in that link is for state and local governments but you might find what you are looking for there.
You might also find the article "Creating an ADA-compliant website" useful.

Though it appears as though a business is safe as long as it doesn't have a contract with the federal government, or a state or local government the business would be exempt it is probably a good idea to look into making it compliant if it is a business site. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject so this is just my take on the matter after reading the information on the links I provided.

Melissa A

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
I of course want to do the best I can. It is a relief, though, that the ADA doesn't specifically state what I must do.

Since my websites are basically just a few large images pieced together, I'm assuming that ALT tags that basically state the content of the site is a way to go.

I've never relied on ALT Tags to view pages, so I don't know what the experience is like, though.

Thoughts?

A6Quattro

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Well, her website's are images only. I'd thiink that would work.

I'm assuming that your sites don't have much "interactive content" that doesn't have 3rd part code already (For example, I'd assume something like a Google Map would be compliant already?)

I think ALT Tags would get the job done, but I'd test the site with a browser designed for people with disabilities. That way, you'll know what they'll see (or hear).

Status
Not open for further replies.