TiVo movies take more space on VCR?

With antenna/broadcast channels I could tape 6 decent hours of programming
(or the maximum time on a VHS tape) using the SLP setting. I've had Directv
for a couple of months and have just started to tape directly through TiVo
to the VCR. I used what I thought was an 8 hour tape and was only able to
record 6 hours at the maximum (SLP) setting. I'm hoping that I actually
used a 6 hour tape, but until I can experiment further --- can anyone tell
me if the satellite transmitted movie takes up more tape space than the
antenna? I'm willing to be embarrassed. TiVo is so cool, it'll be worth
it.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Ellen
9 answers Last reply
More about tivo movies space vcr

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:08:40 GMT, Ellen Hall wrote:

    >With antenna/broadcast channels I could tape 6 decent hours of programming
    >(or the maximum time on a VHS tape) using the SLP setting. I've had Directv
    >for a couple of months and have just started to tape directly through TiVo
    >to the VCR. I used what I thought was an 8 hour tape and was only able to
    >record 6 hours at the maximum (SLP) setting. I'm hoping that I actually
    >used a 6 hour tape, but until I can experiment further --- can anyone tell
    >me if the satellite transmitted movie takes up more tape space than the
    >antenna? I'm willing to be embarrassed. TiVo is so cool, it'll be worth
    >it.
    >
    >Thanks for any thoughts,
    >Ellen

    The vcr is going to record at the quality you set it at (sp, lp,
    slp) no matter where the signal is coming from. The vcr has no
    idea, and it doesn't care, what other equipment the tv signal is
    traveling through.

    Ellen Hall wrote:
    > With antenna/broadcast channels I could tape 6 decent hours of programming
    > (or the maximum time on a VHS tape) using the SLP setting. I've had Directv
    > for a couple of months and have just started to tape directly through TiVo
    > to the VCR. I used what I thought was an 8 hour tape and was only able to
    > record 6 hours at the maximum (SLP) setting. I'm hoping that I actually
    > used a 6 hour tape, but until I can experiment further --- can anyone tell
    > me if the satellite transmitted movie takes up more tape space than the
    > antenna? I'm willing to be embarrassed. TiVo is so cool, it'll be worth
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts,
    > Ellen

    Impossible, in less I'm missing something. VCR's will tape at whatever
    speed they're set at, regardless of the signal source. Either you used
    the wrong tape, or you used a higher quality setting than you thought
    you did.

    In article <YejDe.6233$oZ.273@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Ellen
    Hall <ellen_hall_@hotmailnospam.com> wrote:

    > With antenna/broadcast channels I could tape 6 decent hours of programming
    > (or the maximum time on a VHS tape) using the SLP setting. I've had Directv
    > for a couple of months and have just started to tape directly through TiVo
    > to the VCR. I used what I thought was an 8 hour tape and was only able to
    > record 6 hours at the maximum (SLP) setting. I'm hoping that I actually
    > used a 6 hour tape, but until I can experiment further --- can anyone tell
    > me if the satellite transmitted movie takes up more tape space than the
    > antenna? I'm willing to be embarrassed. TiVo is so cool, it'll be worth
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts,
    > Ellen

    Tape time is a function of time, not picture density or whatever you
    might call it. A T-160 VHS cassette will tape eight hours of anything
    from any source at SLP. You must have used a T-120, or a T-160 that
    already had stuff on it and was cued to the end. The cassette should
    have a faint stamp somewhere on it to tell you which kind it is.

    <Jason> wrote in message news:ckgrd11hmtjkpqvcs5uir7rdqueoc6pfe8@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:08:40 GMT, Ellen Hall wrote:
    >
    > >With antenna/broadcast channels I could tape 6 decent hours of
    programming
    > >(or the maximum time on a VHS tape) using the SLP setting. I've had
    Directv
    > >for a couple of months and have just started to tape directly through
    TiVo
    > >to the VCR. I used what I thought was an 8 hour tape and was only able
    > >record 6 hours at the maximum (SLP) setting. I'm hoping that I actually
    > >used a 6 hour tape, but until I can experiment further --- can anyone
    tell
    > >me if the satellite transmitted movie takes up more tape space than the
    > >antenna? I'm willing to be embarrassed. TiVo is so cool, it'll be worth
    > >it.
    > >
    > >Thanks for any thoughts,
    > >Ellen
    > >

    > The vcr is going to record at the quality you set it at (sp, lp,
    > slp) no matter where the signal is coming from. The vcr has no
    > idea, and it doesn't care, what other equipment the tv signal is
    > traveling through.

    Thank you. I was wondering if "digital" made a difference.

    >>The vcr is going to record at the quality you set it at (sp, lp,
    >>slp) no matter where the signal is coming from. The vcr has no
    >>idea, and it doesn't care, what other equipment the tv signal is
    >>traveling through.
    >

    > Thank you. I was wondering if "digital" made a difference.

    It would, but you're recording in analog, not digital. Also, you're
    using an analog source, despite the fact that the ultimate source video
    is digital. The outputs that you have connected to your VCR have
    already converted the digital signal to analog.

    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Ellen Hall wrote:
    > > With antenna/broadcast channels I could tape 6 decent hours of
    programming
    > > (or the maximum time on a VHS tape) using the SLP setting. I've had
    Directv
    > > for a couple of months and have just started to tape directly through
    TiVo
    > > to the VCR. I used what I thought was an 8 hour tape and was only able
    > > record 6 hours at the maximum (SLP) setting. I'm hoping that I actually
    > > used a 6 hour tape, but until I can experiment further --- can anyone
    tell
    > > me if the satellite transmitted movie takes up more tape space than the
    > > antenna? I'm willing to be embarrassed. TiVo is so cool, it'll be
    worth
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any thoughts,
    > > Ellen
    > >

    > Impossible, in less I'm missing something. VCR's will tape at whatever
    > speed they're set at, regardless of the signal source. Either you used
    > the wrong tape, or you used a higher quality setting than you thought
    > you did.

    Thanks, Randy, for both posts. That's what I was hoping.

    "Ellen Hall" <ellen_hall_@hotmailnospam.com> wrote in

    > With antenna/broadcast channels I could tape 6 decent hours of
    > programming (or the maximum time on a VHS tape) using the SLP setting.
    > I've had Directv for a couple of months and have just started to tape
    > directly through TiVo to the VCR. I used what I thought was an 8 hour
    > tape and was only able to record 6 hours at the maximum (SLP) setting.
    > I'm hoping that I actually used a 6 hour tape, but until I can
    > experiment further --- can anyone tell me if the satellite transmitted
    > movie takes up more tape space than the antenna? I'm willing to be
    > embarrassed. TiVo is so cool, it'll be worth it.

    When talking about 'space' on a DVR, you're talking about data on a hard
    drive. That data can take more of less space depending on quality (which,
    just to throw a little confusion into the mix, is not an issue with
    DirecTiVos, as there's only the one quality setting).

    When talking about space on a VHS tape, you're talking about a certain
    physical distance of media. The reels spin (in the case of a VCR with SP,
    LP, and SLP, at different rates depending on setting, but each rate moves a
    certain amount of media per minute), the media moves, the head
    reads/writes. That's it. No matter the source, a two hour movie (or any
    other recording) will take no more or less physical media than two hours'
    worth. 6 hour tapes being far more common than 8 hour, I'm guessing you
    used a 6 hour.

    And before someone chimes in with a correction on "the tape moves at a set
    speed", yes...I am aware that speed is different between NTSC/PAL.

    "Howard" <stile99@email..com> wrote in message
    > "Ellen Hall" <ellen_hall_@hotmailnospam.com> wrote in
    >
    > > With antenna/broadcast channels I could tape 6 decent hours of
    > > programming (or the maximum time on a VHS tape) using the SLP setting.
    > > I've had Directv for a couple of months and have just started to tape
    > > directly through TiVo to the VCR. I used what I thought was an 8 hour
    > > tape and was only able to record 6 hours at the maximum (SLP) setting.
    > > I'm hoping that I actually used a 6 hour tape, but until I can
    > > experiment further --- can anyone tell me if the satellite transmitted
    > > movie takes up more tape space than the antenna? I'm willing to be
    > > embarrassed. TiVo is so cool, it'll be worth it.
    >
    > When talking about 'space' on a DVR, you're talking about data on a hard
    > drive. That data can take more of less space depending on quality (which,
    > just to throw a little confusion into the mix, is not an issue with
    > DirecTiVos, as there's only the one quality setting).
    >
    > When talking about space on a VHS tape, you're talking about a certain
    > physical distance of media. The reels spin (in the case of a VCR with SP,
    > LP, and SLP, at different rates depending on setting, but each rate moves
    > certain amount of media per minute), the media moves, the head
    > reads/writes. That's it. No matter the source, a two hour movie (or any
    > other recording) will take no more or less physical media than two hours'
    > worth. 6 hour tapes being far more common than 8 hour, I'm guessing you
    > used a 6 hour.
    >
    > And before someone chimes in with a correction on "the tape moves at a set
    > speed", yes...I am aware that speed is different between NTSC/PAL.
    >
    > --
    > Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
    > stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
    > I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
    > no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.

    Thank you, everyone, for your answers. I didn't easily see the faint mark
    indicating whether it was a T-120 or a T-160, but will certainly look more
    closely. I'm glad you were all in agreement!
    Ellen

    > Thank you, everyone, for your answers. I didn't easily see the faint mark
    > indicating whether it was a T-120 or a T-160, but will certainly look more
    > closely. I'm glad you were all in agreement!
    > Ellen

    Yes, we operate like NASA Space Shuttle computers here; take 3

    Randy S.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Movies Video