Help with remote retrieval please

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Suddenly, I have to head away for the weekend, and there are 3
premieres on fri that I've been waiting for all summer long.
Now, I don't think I will be available to watch them live, but I
am pretty sure I'll have access to a high speed connection.

Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to contact my tivo from the
outside.
I've got a cablemodem, wired into a dell truemobile 2300, then
wireless to the tivo. There are a few other devices receiving
service through the 2300 as well. DHCP manually assigns a
specific 192.168 ip to the tivo, so I know which internal ip I
need to ping. Assuming I open all ports between the world and the
tivo, how do I put together the address in the url of a web
browser? Is it something like
https://house-ip/192.168.x.x/nowplaying/index.html or how is it
specifically formatted?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
16 answers Last reply
More about remote retrieval
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Need more info....... are you talking about using Tivo Desktop
    or is it a hacked TiVo? If it's a DirecTiVo, you'll need to hack
    it first. TiVo doesn't have a built in webserver unless you
    hack it and install TiVoWeb Plus.

    <Jason> wrote in message news:1f7bd19mt05bq8b7u6duuauvjbmv0v4gc9@4ax.com...
    > Suddenly, I have to head away for the weekend, and there are 3
    > premieres on fri that I've been waiting for all summer long.
    > Now, I don't think I will be available to watch them live, but I
    > am pretty sure I'll have access to a high speed connection.
    >
    > Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to contact my tivo from the
    > outside.
    > I've got a cablemodem, wired into a dell truemobile 2300, then
    > wireless to the tivo. There are a few other devices receiving
    > service through the 2300 as well. DHCP manually assigns a
    > specific 192.168 ip to the tivo, so I know which internal ip I
    > need to ping. Assuming I open all ports between the world and the
    > tivo, how do I put together the address in the url of a web
    > browser? Is it something like
    > https://house-ip/192.168.x.x/nowplaying/index.html or how is it
    > specifically formatted?
    >
    > Any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    RobR wrote:
    > Need more info....... are you talking about using Tivo Desktop
    > or is it a hacked TiVo? If it's a DirecTiVo, you'll need to hack
    > it first. TiVo doesn't have a built in webserver unless you
    > hack it and install TiVoWeb Plus.
    >
    > <Jason> wrote in message news:1f7bd19mt05bq8b7u6duuauvjbmv0v4gc9@4ax.com...
    >
    >>Suddenly, I have to head away for the weekend, and there are 3
    >>premieres on fri that I've been waiting for all summer long.
    >>Now, I don't think I will be available to watch them live, but I
    >>am pretty sure I'll have access to a high speed connection.
    >>
    >>Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to contact my tivo from the
    >>outside.
    >>I've got a cablemodem, wired into a dell truemobile 2300, then
    >>wireless to the tivo. There are a few other devices receiving
    >>service through the 2300 as well. DHCP manually assigns a
    >>specific 192.168 ip to the tivo, so I know which internal ip I
    >>need to ping. Assuming I open all ports between the world and the
    >>tivo, how do I put together the address in the url of a web
    >>browser? Is it something like
    >>https://house-ip/192.168.x.x/nowplaying/index.html or how is it
    >>specifically formatted?
    >>
    >>Any help would be great. Thanks.
    >

    Sounds like a job for a Slingbox! ;-)

    http://www.slingmedia.com/

    (and some people said it was't useful!)

    --
    Randy S.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:37:44 GMT, RobR wrote:

    >Need more info....... are you talking about using Tivo Desktop
    >or is it a hacked TiVo? If it's a DirecTiVo, you'll need to hack
    >it first. TiVo doesn't have a built in webserver unless you
    >hack it and install TiVoWeb Plus.
    >

    No, I'm talking about standard tivo series 2. 2400-something...
    There's an unsupported bare-bones web server in there, only
    handles a single page, to my knowledge, but I'm pretty sure
    there's more to it. But I only care about one thing right now.
    That is, unless the person who I bought it from put tivoweb on
    there. Those of you who have experience, you tell me, because I
    didn't put it on there.

    From inside the truemobile 2300, inside my home network/lan, I
    punch in https://192.169.2.4 and I get a username/pass dialog box
    from the tivo. User is always 'tivo' (lowercase!) the password is
    your media access key (MAK). Once you enter those in, you get a
    listing of the programs on the box. Oh, you must accept the
    security certificate. It even puts the program listing in groups!
    You do NOT need anything installed on the pc. I've not hacked
    this box. No Tivo Desktop. No TivoWeb. Straight from the previous
    owner.

    But the problem is, in the browser's 'address' box, I have to put
    https://192.168.2.4 and, that is one of the ip numbers that is
    set aside for private networks. Once I'm on the other side of my
    home router, on the outside, I need to be able to get the page
    request to travel through the router and onward to the tivo, in a
    single command.

    It's like sending something to a specific office, in an office
    building. The people inside just write 'Room 212', and that's
    basically, in concept, how it is handled for everyone, though
    they do not know it. But the people outside have to write 'Room
    212, 13 main street'. I'm in the predicament of not knowing how
    to explicitly spell out the '13 main street' so that I can get a
    connection to 'Room 212'.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:38:52 -0400, Jason wrote:

    >That is, unless the person who I bought it from put tivoweb on
    >there. Those of you who have experience, you tell me, because I
    >didn't put it on there.

    Nope, went and saw a screenshot from an old tivoweb, and it's
    more feature-ific than what's on my box.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    You need to set up the router to forward http requests to your TiVo.
    Most routers call this "port forwarding" or something like it. The
    simplest way to do this is to forward inbound port 443 to your TiVo's
    port 443. (Check your router's manual to figure out how to do this.)
    Now a browser request from the outside world of the form

    https://your_external_ip_address/

    will go to your TiVo. Some ISPs block these ports, though, since they
    don't like people to set up web servers. (Again, you'll need to know
    your router's external IP address, which might change from time to time
    depending on how your ISP has set things up. The web page
    http://checkip.dyndns.org/ will tell you what your external IP address
    is.) You might be able to get around this by using different inbound
    port numbers. For example, you might forward inbound port 1443 to your
    TiVo's port 443. Now you'd use

    http://your_external_ip_address:1443/

    instead of the above. (Note that I used http instead of https.)

    Good luck!

    In article <e57cd11ef7evl13paqc16iues8gf3slv89@4ax.com>, Jason wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:37:44 GMT, RobR wrote:
    >
    > >Need more info....... are you talking about using Tivo Desktop
    > >or is it a hacked TiVo? If it's a DirecTiVo, you'll need to hack
    > >it first. TiVo doesn't have a built in webserver unless you
    > >hack it and install TiVoWeb Plus.
    > >
    >
    > No, I'm talking about standard tivo series 2. 2400-something...
    > There's an unsupported bare-bones web server in there, only
    > handles a single page, to my knowledge, but I'm pretty sure
    > there's more to it. But I only care about one thing right now.
    > That is, unless the person who I bought it from put tivoweb on
    > there. Those of you who have experience, you tell me, because I
    > didn't put it on there.
    >
    > From inside the truemobile 2300, inside my home network/lan, I
    > punch in https://192.169.2.4 and I get a username/pass dialog box
    > from the tivo. User is always 'tivo' (lowercase!) the password is
    > your media access key (MAK). Once you enter those in, you get a
    > listing of the programs on the box. Oh, you must accept the
    > security certificate. It even puts the program listing in groups!
    > You do NOT need anything installed on the pc. I've not hacked
    > this box. No Tivo Desktop. No TivoWeb. Straight from the previous
    > owner.
    >
    > But the problem is, in the browser's 'address' box, I have to put
    > https://192.168.2.4 and, that is one of the ip numbers that is
    > set aside for private networks. Once I'm on the other side of my
    > home router, on the outside, I need to be able to get the page
    > request to travel through the router and onward to the tivo, in a
    > single command.
    >
    > It's like sending something to a specific office, in an office
    > building. The people inside just write 'Room 212', and that's
    > basically, in concept, how it is handled for everyone, though
    > they do not know it. But the people outside have to write 'Room
    > 212, 13 main street'. I'm in the predicament of not knowing how
    > to explicitly spell out the '13 main street' so that I can get a
    > connection to 'Room 212'.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    I know nothing about the truemobile 2300, but what you need to figure
    out how to do is configure port forwarding. Basically if you have a
    decent router that supports this (most of them do these days), you
    should find a screen that will let you forward a port to a specific
    IP address. You'd set up port 443 (https) to forward any
    traffic coming in for that port to your TiVo's IP address. To
    get to it from the outside you'd need to know your routers
    external IP address (look into using something like DynDNS
    so if your external IP changes all the time, you can still map
    it to a static name like jason.dyndns.org). Then you'd
    just access the tivo with https://jason.dyndns.org. Only
    caveat I can think of is some routers use port 443 for their
    web interface. Forwarding 443 might not be allowed or
    it might disable remote access to the router https based
    interfaced (which might still be ok as many of them run the
    interface on port 80 as well).

    <Jason> wrote in message news:e57cd11ef7evl13paqc16iues8gf3slv89@4ax.com...

    > From inside the truemobile 2300, inside my home network/lan, I
    > punch in https://192.169.2.4 and I get a username/pass dialog box
    > from the tivo. User is always 'tivo' (lowercase!) the password is
    > your media access key (MAK). Once you enter those in, you get a
    > listing of the programs on the box. Oh, you must accept the
    > security certificate. It even puts the program listing in groups!
    > You do NOT need anything installed on the pc. I've not hacked
    > this box. No Tivo Desktop. No TivoWeb. Straight from the previous
    > owner.
    >
    > But the problem is, in the browser's 'address' box, I have to put
    > https://192.168.2.4 and, that is one of the ip numbers that is
    > set aside for private networks. Once I'm on the other side of my
    > home router, on the outside, I need to be able to get the page
    > request to travel through the router and onward to the tivo, in a
    > single command.
    >
    > It's like sending something to a specific office, in an office
    > building. The people inside just write 'Room 212', and that's
    > basically, in concept, how it is handled for everyone, though
    > they do not know it. But the people outside have to write 'Room
    > 212, 13 main street'. I'm in the predicament of not knowing how
    > to explicitly spell out the '13 main street' so that I can get a
    > connection to 'Room 212'.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:26:30 GMT, RobR wrote:

    >I know nothing about the truemobile 2300, but what you need to figure
    >out how to do is configure port forwarding. Basically if you have a
    >decent router that supports this (most of them do these days), you
    >should find a screen that will let you forward a port to a specific
    >IP address. You'd set up port 443 (https) to forward any
    >traffic coming in for that port to your TiVo's IP address. To
    >get to it from the outside you'd need to know your routers
    >external IP address (look into using something like DynDNS
    >so if your external IP changes all the time, you can still map
    >it to a static name like jason.dyndns.org). Then you'd
    >just access the tivo with https://jason.dyndns.org. Only
    >caveat I can think of is some routers use port 443 for their
    >web interface. Forwarding 443 might not be allowed or
    >it might disable remote access to the router https based
    >interfaced (which might still be ok as many of them run the
    >interface on port 80 as well).
    >

    Thanks, both of you. There's an option for a 'DMZ Host', to turn
    off port blocking for an specific internal ip to run a game
    server, and port forwarding as well, did both. If it's still
    blocked, then I guess it's at my isp end. And I've had the same
    ip for... months I think, so no worries there. Hope it works, no
    time to test it.

    I'll let you know how it goes.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    You may want to consult your provider's Terms of Service Acceptable Use
    Policy at http://www.rcn.com/customer/pdfs/internet/accceptableusepolicy.pdf
    which states
    "RCN cable modem service is for residential use only and our network will not
    support or allow servers of any kind from the home."

    Some outfits ignore their own policies. But others will terminate service
    if they discover violators. Also, you might consider whether making TiVoed
    material available to the global internet is a problem.

    --
    oK+++
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Jason wrote:
    > Suddenly, I have to head away for the weekend, and there are 3
    > premieres on fri that I've been waiting for all summer long.
    > Now, I don't think I will be available to watch them live, but I
    > am pretty sure I'll have access to a high speed connection.
    >
    > Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to contact my tivo from the
    > outside.

    If you've got a Series 2 TiVo, use TiVo Central Online
    https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-com/tco/index.do
    and your TiVo will contact that server for instructions.

    > I've got a cablemodem, wired into a dell truemobile 2300, then
    > wireless to the tivo. There are a few other devices receiving
    > service through the 2300 as well. DHCP manually assigns a specific
    > 192.168 ip to the tivo, so I know which internal ip I need to ping.
    > Assuming I open all ports between the world and the tivo,

    No, don't do that! The TiVo OS is not hardened in any way against
    attacks from the network. Absolutely do set the firewall's DMZ host
    to your TiVo; that removes all protection.

    > how do I put together the address in the url of a web browser? Is it something like
    > https://house-ip/192.168.x.x/nowplaying/index.html or how is it
    > specifically formatted?

    Depends on how the proxy is implemented. I've been thinking of writing
    something to run as an Apache cgi-bin, but nothing concrete.

    Here's how I do it:

    The LAN (192.168.1.*) has a router, his & hers laptops, his & hers
    Series 1 TiVos, and a linux box. Only the latter is accessible from
    the outside world, and only on port 22 (sshd).

    At work, I use ssh with port forwarding to access the linux box.
    'ssh home-ip -L 3106:192.168.1.6:80 -L 3106:192.168.1.8:80'
    I use bookmarks: joe-now-showing = http://localhost:3106/nowshowing
    and sally-now-showing = http://localhost:3108/nowshowing.

    The advantage of this that all I need in terms of software is just
    ssh + sshd. The disadvantage is that I cannot use any old browser
    at an Internet cafe to control my TiVo.

    -Joe

    http://www.inwap.com/tivo/SmithTV2005.gif
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:23:41 -0400, Obfus Kataa wrote:

    >You may want to consult your provider's Terms of Service Acceptable Use
    >Policy at http://www.rcn.com/customer/pdfs/internet/accceptableusepolicy.pdf
    >which states
    >"RCN cable modem service is for residential use only and our network will not
    >support or allow servers of any kind from the home."
    >

    This would be difficult to enforce completely, as it would
    require all people to stop using MS Windows.
    'Internet Connection Sharing', on Win98 and later Windows boxes,
    manages other systems connecting to the internet through a proxy.
    In effect, that proxy 'serves' content to a machine that is not
    directly attached to the ISP's system. Therefore, that machine is
    a server, because it has the capabilities of a server, and 'any
    kind of server' would have to go away.

    If they were to come after me, I could also argue my fair-use
    rights, as guaranteed to me by the betamax case.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 05:11:50 -0700, Joe Smith wrote:

    >Jason wrote:
    >> Suddenly, I have to head away for the weekend, and there are 3
    >> premieres on fri that I've been waiting for all summer long.
    >> Now, I don't think I will be available to watch them live, but I
    >> am pretty sure I'll have access to a high speed connection.
    >>
    >> Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to contact my tivo from the
    >> outside.
    >
    >If you've got a Series 2 TiVo, use TiVo Central Online
    > https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-com/tco/index.do
    >and your TiVo will contact that server for instructions.

    Erm, what would that have given me? I wasn't looking to schedule
    something new, I wanted to pull a show off my tivo to my laptop
    so I could watch it while away from home.

    >Here's how I do it:
    >At work, I use ssh with port forwarding to access the linux box.

    No linux box. I'm sorry, but you're situation really doesn't
    help. Besides, I was gone 2 days before you posted.

    At any rate, the settings I made didn't work. Now I'll play with
    them a bit so I'll be ready, should this kind of situation ever
    come up again. Thanks everyone.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On 2005-07-18, Jason <Jason> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:23:41 -0400, Obfus Kataa wrote:
    >
    >>You may want to consult your provider's Terms of Service Acceptable Use
    >>Policy at http://www.rcn.com/customer/pdfs/internet/accceptableusepolicy.pdf
    >>which states
    >>"RCN cable modem service is for residential use only and our network will not
    >>support or allow servers of any kind from the home."
    >>
    >
    > This would be difficult to enforce completely, as it would
    > require all people to stop using MS Windows.
    > 'Internet Connection Sharing', on Win98 and later Windows boxes,
    > manages other systems connecting to the internet through a proxy.
    > In effect, that proxy 'serves' content to a machine that is not
    > directly attached to the ISP's system. Therefore, that machine is
    > a server, because it has the capabilities of a server, and 'any
    > kind of server' would have to go away.

    What you describe is not a server from the internet's viewpoint, it would
    only appear as a server from another machine inside your home. It's not
    serving anything to the internet, it is simply another client. What you
    describe is more of a router than a server.

    > If they were to come after me, I could also argue my fair-use
    > rights, as guaranteed to me by the betamax case.

    I don't believe the betamax case really applies here, if you read the
    judgement and what they actually say. The judgement doesn't provide for a
    generic fair-use clause like you want to use.

    --
    This is my .sig
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 05:31:42 -0000, Mike Hunt wrote:

    >On 2005-07-18, Jason <Jason> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:23:41 -0400, Obfus Kataa wrote:
    >>
    >>>You may want to consult your provider's Terms of Service Acceptable Use
    >>>Policy at http://www.rcn.com/customer/pdfs/internet/accceptableusepolicy.pdf
    >>>which states
    >>>"RCN cable modem service is for residential use only and our network will not
    >>>support or allow servers of any kind from the home."
    >>>
    >>
    >> This would be difficult to enforce completely, as it would
    >> require all people to stop using MS Windows.
    >> 'Internet Connection Sharing', on Win98 and later Windows boxes,
    >> manages other systems connecting to the internet through a proxy.
    >> In effect, that proxy 'serves' content to a machine that is not
    >> directly attached to the ISP's system. Therefore, that machine is
    >> a server, because it has the capabilities of a server, and 'any
    >> kind of server' would have to go away.
    >
    >What you describe is not a server from the internet's viewpoint, it would
    >only appear as a server from another machine inside your home. It's not
    >serving anything to the internet, it is simply another client. What you
    >describe is more of a router than a server.

    A server is anything that functions as a dispensary for content.

    >> If they were to come after me, I could also argue my fair-use
    >> rights, as guaranteed to me by the betamax case.
    >
    >I don't believe the betamax case really applies here, if you read the
    >judgement and what they actually say. The judgement doesn't provide for a
    >generic fair-use clause like you want to use.

    I'm not re-broadcasting anything for public use, only acquiring
    my personal recording for my own private use. Even the method
    includes my laptop, which qualifies as being a part of my
    household. Further, I made no attempt to break tivo's methods of
    securing my content, the MAK was still in effect, so I wasn't
    putting anything in the public view. And I didn't post my ip, so
    I wasn't even giving someone the address to try to break in.
    Distance is not the issue that defines fair-use. It is the intent
    and the process used to time-shift the viewing of the program.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    <Jason> wrote in message news:a9hmd1pqltve64cdlg7ou1449bir1cgs6r@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 05:31:42 -0000, Mike Hunt wrote:
    >
    >>On 2005-07-18, Jason <Jason> wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:23:41 -0400, Obfus Kataa wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>You may want to consult your provider's Terms of Service Acceptable Use
    >>>>Policy at
    >>>>http://www.rcn.com/customer/pdfs/internet/accceptableusepolicy.pdf
    >>>>which states
    >>>>"RCN cable modem service is for residential use only and our network
    >>>>will not
    >>>>support or allow servers of any kind from the home."
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> This would be difficult to enforce completely, as it would
    >>> require all people to stop using MS Windows.
    >>> 'Internet Connection Sharing', on Win98 and later Windows boxes,
    >>> manages other systems connecting to the internet through a proxy.
    >>> In effect, that proxy 'serves' content to a machine that is not
    >>> directly attached to the ISP's system. Therefore, that machine is
    >>> a server, because it has the capabilities of a server, and 'any
    >>> kind of server' would have to go away.
    >>
    >>What you describe is not a server from the internet's viewpoint, it would
    >>only appear as a server from another machine inside your home. It's not
    >>serving anything to the internet, it is simply another client. What you
    >>describe is more of a router than a server.
    >
    > A server is anything that functions as a dispensary for content.

    But to his point, you are not "serving" anything on the public Internet,
    only internally.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    >>A server is anything that functions as a dispensary for content.
    >
    >
    > But to his point, you are not "serving" anything on the public Internet,
    > only internally.

    Right, if you are not "serving" any traffic back out to the public
    network, even if it *was* against the AUP (which I don't believe it is),
    how would they even know?

    However, there are plenty of other arguments that can be made against
    the no-server rule. A server can be defined as a computer that runs a
    service that sends or receives data from the Internet as a result of
    transaction initiated from another source on the Internet. But tons of
    programs do that, and if you ban them all it is clearly absurd. All P2P
    programs (bittorrent, eMule, etc.) would be banned, including legit
    ones. All VOIP (since they can send & receive) systems would be banned,
    including Vonage, callvantage, and Skype. You could even claim e-mail
    is banned, though that's less clear since most cable companies fairly
    clearly outline an accepted way to send mail (through their internal
    servers) and unacceptable means (from your own SMTP server).

    Basically, when you consider all of that, it's pretty clear that this
    particular rule is a "Cover your ass" rule, i.e. not really enforced
    except when a particular person or service causes a problem, either
    legally or practically. Use of personal SMTP servers became a problem
    due to viruses and worms, so it was blocked (for many providers anyway).
    If someone becomes an enormous bandwidth hog on a limited network
    resource by using a P2P application, they may find themselves kicked off
    or limited (this happens way more often with Satellite Internet than
    cable). So, in that sense, I suggest you run whatever server you want,
    assuming it is otherwise legal.

    Randy S.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Jason wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 05:11:50 -0700, Joe Smith wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Jason wrote:
    >>
    >>>Suddenly, I have to head away for the weekend, and there are 3
    >>>premieres on fri that I've been waiting for all summer long.
    >>>Now, I don't think I will be available to watch them live, but I
    >>>am pretty sure I'll have access to a high speed connection.
    >>>
    >>>Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to contact my tivo from the
    >>>outside.
    >>
    >>If you've got a Series 2 TiVo, use TiVo Central Online
    >> https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-com/tco/index.do
    >>and your TiVo will contact that server for instructions.
    >
    > Erm, what would that have given me? I wasn't looking to schedule
    > something new, I wanted to pull a show off my tivo to my laptop
    > so I could watch it while away from home.

    Sorry, I misread that.

    It may be possible to get the TivoToGo beacon remotely by
    using a VPN. I've seen D-Link and Linksys firewall-routers ($70)
    that can handle incoming VPN connections. A laptop with an
    IPSec client (like the one built-in to WinXP) could authenticate
    and then see your private IP addresses directly.

    -Joe
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Tivo Tivo