Article on fix for knocking white ribbon cable loose when ..

I am desperately looking for the article that is mentioned in this
thread:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.video.ptv.tivo/browse_thread/thread/38c39c4379f464d9/b58defc0c101960c?q=tivo+%22ribbon+cable%22&rnum=2&hl=en#b58defc0c101960c

It states: "Well, followed the suggestions on the Tivo Community and
replaced the "fuse" and L30 with a wire and now it's back to Tivo
Remote action again."

I am in this same situation after knocking that cable loose. The Tivo
will work, but no lights on the front and no response from remote. I
would really like to find out what the potential fix is so I can get my
Tivo back :(

Thanks in advance!

Robert
1
answer
Last reply
More about article fix knocking white ribbon cable loose

    In article <1121480303.670874.116330@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    rlooney@cg.state.sc.us wrote:

    > I am desperately looking for the article that is mentioned in this
    > thread:
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.video.ptv.tivo/browse_thread/thread/38
    > c39c4379f464d9/b58defc0c101960c?q=tivo+%22ribbon+cable%22&rnum=2&hl=en#b58defc
    > 0c101960c
    >

    > It states: "Well, followed the suggestions on the Tivo Community and
    > replaced the "fuse" and L30 with a wire and now it's back to Tivo
    > Remote action again."
    >
    > I am in this same situation after knocking that cable loose. The Tivo
    > will work, but no lights on the front and no response from remote. I
    > would really like to find out what the potential fix is so I can get my
    > Tivo back :(
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Robert

    30 seconds of Googling found:

    Fix your Tivo Remote Problem

    1 Attachment(s)
    Warning:
    Needs very good SMT component soldering skill. Please DON'T DIY if you
    never work on SMT before. Ask some one with the skill or bring your Tivo
    to an electronics repair shop let the technician do it for you.

    Who need fix:
    If you power up the HDVR2 with ribbon cable unevenly plug into CN10 on
    motherboard and found the Remote malfunction. Most likely you need this
    fix.

    Cause:
    HDVR2 use 3 pins IR sensor (in front panel). Pin1=+5V, Pin2=Ground,
    Pin3=IR signal out. For general circuit design, usually direct connects
    pin2 to common ground. But HDVR2 IR sensor pin2 goes through a ribbon
    cable and Inductor L30 on the motherboard side connects to ground. When
    ribbon cable unevenly plug into CN10, The contact pins on cable cause
    shortage between pins inside CN10. When power up the Tivo, DC current
    from shorted pins inside CN10 goes through Inductor L30 to ground. If
    enough current apply to L10, it¹ll generates too much heat and burned
    open. The IR sensor pin2 will no longer connect to ground even you plug
    back the ribbon cable right next time.

    Fix:
    Replace L30 (inside red circle on the attached picture) with a new one
    (any value will work). If can't find any inductor, just use a thin wire
    short L30 will work.

    Good Luck

    HTH

Ptv Tivo Tivo Cable