Core2Extreme QX9770 - idle @ 35c, loaded at 85c?!

Jsunv

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
Hey all, I've been running a Core 2 Extreme QX9770 @ 3.2 stable since 2008. I just recently decided (yeah, i know) that I should probably push this chip a bit to see what extra juice i can get out of it being that it's so easy to overclock. So before trying/testing ANY overclock, I wanted to see what my temps looked like...

I'm in an EVGA 790i FTW Mobo
Using a beastly Swiftech air cooled heatsink that has been on since 2008.
Voltage is set to auto and is like 1.25 something in bios so i know that's not high.

I have been observing the core temperatures over the past week and noticed that it ranges from an idle 35c to a loaded 85c! this seems like such a huge swing and i'm wondering what could be the cause? I've been using CPUID hardware monitor.

I've tested under both Prime95 as well as litecoin mining and both stress the hell out of the processor taking it up to a stable 85 degrees c. The machine has run for days/weeks without issue and no crashes at this temperature but I certainly know it cannot be good for it. Once i stop the mining or prime95, the temps drop fast.

Is it the fan not dissipating heat from the heatsink fast enough or is it that the heatsink could by chance not be properly set on the cpu? I'm a little baffled as the idle temps are great...

Thanks for the input/thoughts -- before i up the voltage or try to overclock i have to make sure the loaded temperatures are no where need 85c... which i read is the MAX for the cores according to Intel. Again, i've been running this since 2008 and have not touched anything so i know it's perfectly stable despite the temp readings.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The idle temp is fine. But the load temp is extremely high. The max core temp for 45nm C2Q processors should be 76C. Is your cooler fan running at max RPM or is it set to step up as needed via settings in BIOS? After 6 years, it is extremely possible that the thermal paste has dried out to the point that it is no longer transferring heat adequately from CPU to heat sink. Can you link to the model of Swiftech cooler you have?

Jsunv

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014

I've got the fan running at full, no throttling enabled. I believe the fan is ~40 CFM. The Swiftech heatsink is the MCX775-V Rev. 3.0 (link below). I am going to clean and re-seat the heatsink with a fresh application of artic silver 5 later this week and see if it makes any difference in the load temps.

I'm also upgrading from a GTX 285 video card to a R9 280X tomorrow so want to be able to overclock the CPU a bit if i can. however, with those load temps, i would not dare try to push it at all right now.

http://www.swiftech.com/mcx775-v.aspx

Appreciate the feedback and any other thoughts -- I'll be sure to repost after i have new temperature readings later this week.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That is the first time I've seen a design like that. But it appears to be a stock cooler replacement... for 130W CPUs and less. And then only with the fan at 100%: "High noise operations: 40 dbA and up - For serious overclocking depending on the fan selected, up to 130 Watts processor load." Your QX9770 is a 136W (TDP) processor at stock. The cooler is a bit underpowered for that processor when it is under its most load.
http://ark.intel.com/products/34444/Intel-Core2-Extreme-Processor-QX9770-12M-Cache-3_20-GHz-1600-MHz-FSB

I would not attempt to OC with that cooler. In fact, it can't even handle the heat produced at stock once the CPU goes past 130W. If you stick with it, be sure your case is very well ventilated with plenty of airflow. The cooler's web page talks about being a Pentium 4 cooler replacement. The P4 was only a 65W single core CPU.

Jsunv

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
thanks again for the feedback, i really do appreciate it. i was actually reading the same numbers you saw when i provided the link yesterday and got a little concerned. i have a pretty well ventilated case with a top exhaust 120mm as well so that's probably been helping out over the last 6 years keeping things stable with the swiftech cooler. is there a cooler you would recommend for potential overclock for the core2extreme qx9770? it looks like i definitely should swap this guy out before i do attempt to push it any further.

i'm open to both closed loop water (120mm top fan/radiator) as well as standard air if there's anything that can handle the load of the core2extreme qx9770 at the 136W +++

Thank you SO much!

added note, it's an LGA 775 socket.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
My experience with liq cooling seems to indicate that one would need more than a 120mm radiator unit to be better than a good air cooler. Most folks here will grab a Cooler Master 212 EVO. I have one on the rig in my sig and one on my other system (Phenom II X4 @ 4GHZ/R9-280). Neither system has ever caused the cooler's fan to run at 100% yet. And all temps are well within normal range with room to spare. Quiet, dependable, and proven. The 212 EVO is one of the best coolers... for the money spent. There are more expensive coolers, but the performance to price ratio falls off fast. I'd recommend the 212 EVO for your situation.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

It's a bit big. The 120mm fan makes the height 159mm tall. So check the dimensions against your case's. But it comes with mtg for almost any motherboard/socket, including the LGA 775.

Refresh my memory, does the QX 9770 have an unlocked multiplier? I can't remember when Intel started locking all but the "K" processors.

Jsunv

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
awesome recommendation, thank you. i was wondering if it was compatible with my mobo given the 120mm size. however, i found this link: http://unfilteredreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-rr-212e.html which is my exact mobo and someone stating it cleared the heatsinks surrounding the cpu socket... very nice.

the multiplier is totally unlocked on the qx9770 and can be 'unlinked' from the fsb in bios so ONLY the cpu clock speed can be overclocked keeping the FSB, RAM etc. all stable and at stock speeds. that's what i plan on doing is just kicking up the multiplier (and possibly the voltage slowly) to see where i can take my QX9770 beyond 3.2 GHZ stock. (of course after i fix the temps)

do you feel this heatsink will fare well with overclocking breathing room/temps give the insane wattage of the qx9770?

Thanks again!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The 212 EVO (properly installed) will allow you to OC that processor to its max. It really is an amazing cooler for its low price. If you want even more recommendations, go to the cooling guru: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Thanks for the refresher on the QX 9770 unlocked multiplier. It's been awhile since I built with the 775 socket. Your processor is still a viable CPU for gaming if gaming is something you are interested in. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html