90% of DVR owners Skip Commercials

10 answers Last reply
More about dvr owners skip commercials

    "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
    news:Xns9691728ECCAC5Louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.130...
    > http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=3&u=/nm/20050712/en_nm/media_dvr_dc

    Of course they do. Because most commercials are boring, and we've seen the
    same commercials over and over again...I wouldn't watch a show 30 times, why
    would I want to watch an advertisement that often?

    For what it's worth, if a commercial looks interesting and I haven't already
    seen it, I'll watch at least part of it. If it's good, I'll even watch the
    whole thing.

    Ken

    What this really means, 10% of DVR owners are STUPID or LIARS.

    --
    Pepper, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

    SINNER wrote:
    > http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=3&u=/nm/20050712/en_nm/media_dvr_dc

    i do skip alot of them. but sometime i will an ad i like and rewind and
    watch it. i like those vonage ads.

    * Ken Alverson Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=3&u=/nm/20050712/e
    >> n_nm/media_dvr_dc
    >
    > Of course they do. Because most commercials are boring, and we've
    > seen the same commercials over and over again...I wouldn't watch a
    > show 30 times, why would I want to watch an advertisement that
    > often?
    >
    > For what it's worth, if a commercial looks interesting and I
    > haven't already seen it, I'll watch at least part of it. If it's
    > good, I'll even watch the whole thing.

    Indeed, I have been known to rewind and watch a commercial I like
    several times and if I notice it while FF'ing through I stop and
    watch it again. Why dont the advertisers get it?

    --
    David

    In article <Xns96917E69D4ED2Louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.130>, SINNER
    <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

    > * Ken Alverson Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    > > "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
    > >> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=3&u=/nm/20050712/e
    > >> n_nm/media_dvr_dc
    > >
    > > Of course they do. Because most commercials are boring, and we've
    > > seen the same commercials over and over again...I wouldn't watch a
    > > show 30 times, why would I want to watch an advertisement that
    > > often?
    > >
    > > For what it's worth, if a commercial looks interesting and I
    > > haven't already seen it, I'll watch at least part of it. If it's
    > > good, I'll even watch the whole thing.
    > >

    > Indeed, I have been known to rewind and watch a commercial I like
    > several times and if I notice it while FF'ing through I stop and
    > watch it again. Why dont the advertisers get it?

    I think it's because they don't want to. They believe that one of the
    things that sells products is endless repetition of commercials,
    particularly annoying ones. The commercials that catch people like us
    have to be far better than average, and they can't be annoying. We're
    the ones with the power.

    Like most here, I routinely 30 -> past commercial blocks, but sometimes
    I'll catch a flash of something interesting in that brief time between
    blips, and I'll go back and watch attentively. This should be what
    advertisers want, and it probably is, but it's not what their agencies
    want.

    Pepper wrote:
    > What this really means, 10% of DVR owners are STUPID or LIARS.

    My husband often has shows on for background noise while he works on his
    laptop. If he's not paying much attention to the show, he doesn't
    bother to skip the commericals either.

    --Charlene

    --
    America is addicted to wars of distraction. -- Barbara Ehrenreich

    email perronnelle at earthlink . net

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:41:44 -0400, Pepper
    <Pepper.1s2icz@satelliteguys.us> wrote:

    >What this really means, 10% of DVR owners are STUPID or LIARS.

    Or they watch a lot of shows live, where you can't fast forward
    into what hasn't been broadcast yet.

    With a lot of my favorite shows I just can't wait 20 minutes to
    start watching the show just so I can skip commercials...

    On 2005-07-13, Carl D Smith <cdsmith69NOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:41:44 -0400, Pepper
    ><Pepper.1s2icz@satelliteguys.us> wrote:
    >

    >>What this really means, 10% of DVR owners are STUPID or LIARS.
    >
    > Or they watch a lot of shows live, where you can't fast forward
    > into what hasn't been broadcast yet.
    >
    > With a lot of my favorite shows I just can't wait 20 minutes to
    > start watching the show just so I can skip commercials...

    Boy, that's some hard core addiction there. You should look into seeing
    if you can get a TV feed from an earlier broadcast/timezone.

    --
    This is my .sig

    In article <thv8d11moaj54khranmdsr256kitr6utad@4ax.com>, Carl D. Smith <cdsmith69NOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:41:44 -0400, Pepper
    ><Pepper.1s2icz@satelliteguys.us> wrote:
    >

    >>What this really means, 10% of DVR owners are STUPID or LIARS.
    >
    >Or they watch a lot of shows live, where you can't fast forward
    >into what hasn't been broadcast yet.
    >
    >With a lot of my favorite shows I just can't wait 20 minutes to
    >start watching the show just so I can skip commercials...
    Go watch one of the many NOW PLAYING shows you have saved for 10 minutes or
    so. With the tivo, you always have something you want to watch or need to
    watch to make room.

    SINNER (arcade.master@googlemail.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=3&u=/nm/20050712/en_nm/media_dvr_dc

    Although I'm sure that a lot do skip, this survey may be skewed in that
    it is of British households.

    Historically, they have had their real major networks with no commercials,
    so they might be more inclined to skip commercials.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/MoneyNotDogs.gif

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video DVR