Misc network questions

Have a few network questions.
The Tivo site lists USB adapters to use with a wireless network. Are
these the only adapters that work or just adapters confirmed to work?

I have spare USB adapter. If I hook it up to Tivo, will it be
recognized? Will it allow me to tranfer photos from my PC?

I read where Tivo requires me to open specific ports on my router. If I
go to a wired connection from Tivo to my router do I need to have ports
open?

If I have a network hard drive attached to my router, will Tivo 'see' it?
22 answers Last reply
More about misc network questions

    "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have a few network questions.
    > The Tivo site lists USB adapters to use with a wireless network. Are
    > these the only adapters that work or just adapters confirmed to work?

    They have been confirmed to work. If your adapter is based off of a similar
    chipset, it may work as well.

    > I have spare USB adapter. If I hook it up to Tivo, will it be recognized?
    > Will it allow me to tranfer photos from my PC?

    Maybe. You didn't mention which one though, so no one can really answer.

    > I read where Tivo requires me to open specific ports on my router. If I
    > go to a wired connection from Tivo to my router do I need to have ports
    > open?

    Wired or wireless doesn't matter. Still require ports to talk through.

    > If I have a network hard drive attached to my router, will Tivo 'see' it?

    Not directly. If the PC you are running TiVo Desktop on (and publishing
    photo content from) shares a folder from that NAS, then yes, the TiVo will
    see it.

    Seth wrote:
    > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Have a few network questions.
    >>The Tivo site lists USB adapters to use with a wireless network. Are
    >>these the only adapters that work or just adapters confirmed to work?
    >

    > They have been confirmed to work. If your adapter is based off of a similar
    > chipset, it may work as well.
    >

    >>I have spare USB adapter. If I hook it up to Tivo, will it be recognized?
    >>Will it allow me to tranfer photos from my PC?
    >

    > Maybe. You didn't mention which one though, so no one can really answer.

    Dell Wireless 1450 USB adapter

    >>I read where Tivo requires me to open specific ports on my router. If I
    >>go to a wired connection from Tivo to my router do I need to have ports
    >>open?

    Here is where I show my ignorance. If Tivo (wired conenction) is
    assigned an address on my router, does the router automatically open
    ports when needed or do I have to go into the router and leave ports
    open all the time like I am required to do with the wireless adapter?

    > Wired or wireless doesn't matter. Still require ports to talk through.
    >

    >>If I have a network hard drive attached to my router, will Tivo 'see' it?
    >

    > Not directly. If the PC you are running TiVo Desktop on (and publishing
    > photo content from) shares a folder from that NAS, then yes, the TiVo will
    > see it.

    > Here is where I show my ignorance. If Tivo (wired conenction) is
    > assigned an address on my router, does the router automatically open
    > ports when needed or do I have to go into the router and leave ports
    > open all the time like I am required to do with the wireless adapter?

    From a routing point of view, there is no difference between wired or
    wireless connections, though your router may allow you to assign
    different policies to each one. If one requires opening ports, then so
    will the other one. The only effective difference between wired and
    wireless connections is that you can assign WEP or WPA key-based
    encryption on wireless connections.

    Randy S.

    In article <Gvtze.1452$yL4.791@fe02.lga>, J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    > I have spare USB adapter. If I hook it up to Tivo, will it be
    > recognized? Will it allow me to tranfer photos from my PC?

    Plug it in. Go to the main menu on your TiVo and select

    Messages & Setup > Settings > Phone & Network

    At this point, my screen shows options "Change connection type" and
    "Edit phone or network settings." If you see these and are able to use
    them to get on your network, then your wireless adapter works. If not,
    it doesn't. Make sure you have the latest version of the TiVo
    software.

    > I read where Tivo requires me to open specific ports on my router. If I
    > go to a wired connection from Tivo to my router do I need to have ports
    > open?

    I did not have to open any ports on my router. (One only needs to open
    router ports to let computers outside of your local network initiate
    connections to inside the local network. In the case of TiVo, the box
    "phones home" and initiates the connection from inside the local
    network, so no need to open ports.)

    > If I have a network hard drive attached to my router, will Tivo 'see' it?

    I don't think so. As Seth said, you have to have a computer running
    TiVo Desktop or some equivalent software.

    Lot-o-fun wrote:
    > In article <Gvtze.1452$yL4.791@fe02.lga>, J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have spare USB adapter. If I hook it up to Tivo, will it be
    >>recognized? Will it allow me to tranfer photos from my PC?
    >

    > Plug it in. Go to the main menu on your TiVo and select
    >
    > Messages & Setup > Settings > Phone & Network
    >
    > At this point, my screen shows options "Change connection type" and
    > "Edit phone or network settings." If you see these and are able to use
    > them to get on your network, then your wireless adapter works. If not,
    > it doesn't. Make sure you have the latest version of the TiVo
    > software.

    snipped

    OK, did all that. Tivo now shows th IP address of the router and shows
    signal strength as 'Excellent.' Entered the 15-digit Tivo ID into the
    PC software. Problem - after I manually enter the IP address of the
    router (don't know why since Tivo seems to already know), and select it
    I get a message there is no server present.

    >>>I read where Tivo requires me to open specific ports on my router. If I
    >>>go to a wired connection from Tivo to my router do I need to have ports
    >>>open?
    >>
    > Here is where I show my ignorance. If Tivo (wired conenction) is assigned
    > an address on my router, does the router automatically open ports when
    > needed or do I have to go into the router and leave ports open all the
    > time like I am required to do with the wireless adapter?

    Shouldn't have to open any ports on the router as nothing is connecting from
    the outside. If you have a personal firewall on your PC(s), you may have to
    open certain ports there.

    What kind of ports you had to open on the router to use a wireless PC, I
    don't know. Shouldn't have to open any ports just to use wireless. Opening
    ports is to allow things outside the network to connect in.

    Seth wrote:
    > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>Here is where I show my ignorance. If Tivo (wired conenction) is assigned
    >>an address on my router, does the router automatically open ports when
    >>needed or do I have to go into the router and leave ports open all the
    >>time like I am required to do with the wireless adapter?
    >

    > Shouldn't have to open any ports on the router as nothing is connecting from
    > the outside. If you have a personal firewall on your PC(s), you may have to
    > open certain ports there.
    >
    > What kind of ports you had to open on the router to use a wireless PC, I
    > don't know. Shouldn't have to open any ports just to use wireless. Opening
    > ports is to allow things outside the network to connect in.

    Thanks for the reply.
    Tried disabling Norton Firewall. Made no difference. Tivo still can't
    find the server.
    Isn't the firewall AFTER the router?
    Would disabling the firewall confirm it is not causing the problem with
    the connection?

    In article <42CECEA6.708@gmail.com>, J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    > Seth wrote:
    > > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > >>Here is where I show my ignorance. If Tivo (wired conenction) is assigned
    > >>an address on my router, does the router automatically open ports when
    > >>needed or do I have to go into the router and leave ports open all the
    > >>time like I am required to do with the wireless adapter?
    > >

    > > Shouldn't have to open any ports on the router as nothing is connecting
    > > from
    > > the outside. If you have a personal firewall on your PC(s), you may have
    > > open certain ports there.
    > >
    > > What kind of ports you had to open on the router to use a wireless PC, I
    > > don't know. Shouldn't have to open any ports just to use wireless.
    > > Opening
    > > ports is to allow things outside the network to connect in.
    > >

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Tried disabling Norton Firewall. Made no difference. Tivo still can't
    > find the server.
    > Isn't the firewall AFTER the router?
    > Would disabling the firewall confirm it is not causing the problem with
    > the connection?

    Most routers are themselves firewalls and block most ports.

    Jack Zwick wrote:
    > In article <42CECEA6.708@gmail.com>, J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Seth wrote:
    >>
    >>>"J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Shouldn't have to open any ports on the router as nothing is connecting
    >>>from
    >>>the outside. If you have a personal firewall on your PC(s), you may have
    >>>open certain ports there.
    >>>
    >>>What kind of ports you had to open on the router to use a wireless PC, I
    >>>don't know. Shouldn't have to open any ports just to use wireless.
    >>>Opening
    >>>ports is to allow things outside the network to connect in.
    >>>

    >>Thanks for the reply.
    >>Tried disabling Norton Firewall. Made no difference. Tivo still can't
    >>find the server.
    >>Isn't the firewall AFTER the router?
    >>Would disabling the firewall confirm it is not causing the problem with
    >>the connection?
    >

    > Most routers are themselves firewalls and block most ports.
    OK, a little of topic, but, when I test connection I am told it was
    a success. Under connetion type, I have 'Network' as type of connection
    to connect to TIVO. And this succeeds also. Now, when I connect to
    TIVO for an update, am I connecting by phone or through Network? If
    network, I presume this means TIVO can connect to outside through the
    router. Still can't get photos or music (yes the sw is running and
    files are published). I have also gone to TIVO central on the web site
    and instructed TIVO to record a program - which it did.

    >>Thanks for the reply.
    >>Tried disabling Norton Firewall. Made no difference. Tivo still can't
    >>find the server.
    >>Isn't the firewall AFTER the router?
    >>Would disabling the firewall confirm it is not causing the problem with
    >>the connection?
    >

    > Most routers are themselves firewalls and block most ports.

    Hmm, I don't think that's very accurate. Most routers are NAT devices
    (though I agree, more and more are adding true firewall functions), and
    thus drop incoming packets unless specifically configured to handle
    them. But for purely internal connections (like what the OP describes)
    they don't block any traffic, and I'm not sure there's any options to do
    so (there might be some to regulate traffic between wired and wireless
    networks).

    Randy S.

    In article <42CEEA8D.1090500@gmail.com>, J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    > OK, a little of topic, but, when I test connection I am told it was
    > a success. Under connetion type, I have 'Network' as type of connection
    > to connect to TIVO. And this succeeds also. Now, when I connect to
    > TIVO for an update, am I connecting by phone or through Network? If
    > network, I presume this means TIVO can connect to outside through the
    > router. Still can't get photos or music (yes the sw is running and
    > files are published). I have also gone to TIVO central on the web site
    > and instructed TIVO to record a program - which it did.

    testing your connection uses a standard likely open port.

    Other TiVo functions use other ports.

    In article
    <jackzwick-61D3FD.18521708072005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com>, Jack
    Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > In article <42CEEA8D.1090500@gmail.com>, J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > OK, a little of topic, but, when I test connection I am told it was
    > > a success. Under connetion type, I have 'Network' as type of connection
    > > to connect to TIVO. And this succeeds also. Now, when I connect to
    > > TIVO for an update, am I connecting by phone or through Network? If
    > > network, I presume this means TIVO can connect to outside through the
    > > router. Still can't get photos or music (yes the sw is running and
    > > files are published). I have also gone to TIVO central on the web site
    > > and instructed TIVO to record a program - which it did.
    >
    > testing your connection uses a standard likely open port.

    Most routers that I know of have *no* open ports by default.

    Testing the TiVo connection initiates a connection from behind the
    router, so it doesn't need an open port.

    J Lunis wrote:

    > OK, a little of topic, but, when I test connection I am told it was a
    > success. Under connetion type, I have 'Network' as type of connection
    > to connect to TIVO. And this succeeds also. Now, when I connect to
    > TIVO for an update, am I connecting by phone or through Network? If
    > network, I presume this means TIVO can connect to outside through the
    > router. Still can't get photos or music (yes the sw is running and
    > files are published). I have also gone to TIVO central on the web site
    > and instructed TIVO to record a program - which it did.

    It works best when both your TiVo and your PC are on the same LAN
    with no firewall between the two. For instance:

    Cable modem connects to WAN port on wireless router.
    TiVo connects to one of the four wired LAN ports on the router.
    PC connects wirelessly to the router.

    A situation that I've seen not work is:

    Cable modem connects to WAN port of firewall-router.
    TiVo and wireless router both connect to LAN ports on firewall-router.
    PC connects wirelessly to the wireless router.

    In that case, there were two firewalls. The one directly attached to
    the cable modem protected the home equipment from the wild Internet.
    The one in the wireless router "protected" the PC from the TiVo - it
    was blocking half of the UDP packets that were being broadcast from
    one to the other.

    >>> Here is where I show my ignorance. If Tivo (wired connection) is
    >>> assigned an address on my router, does the router automatically
    >>> open ports when needed or do I have to go into the router and
    >>> leave ports open all the time like I am required to do with
    >>> the wireless adapter?

    Ports in the firewall/router configuration are irrelevant when both
    devices are on the same LAN. If your TiVo gets an address assigned
    by your router and your PC gets its address assigned by the same
    router, then broadcast packets should be flowing freely between the two.
    Problems occur when there are two DHCP servers.

    -Joe

    Joe Smith wrote:
    > J Lunis wrote:
    >
    >> OK, a little of topic, but, when I test connection I am told it was
    >> a success. Under connetion type, I have 'Network' as type of
    >> connection to connect to TIVO. And this succeeds also. Now, when I
    >> connect to TIVO for an update, am I connecting by phone or through
    >> Network? If network, I presume this means TIVO can connect to
    >> outside through the router. Still can't get photos or music (yes the
    >> sw is running and files are published). I have also gone to TIVO
    >> central on the web site and instructed TIVO to record a program -
    >> which it did.
    >

    > It works best when both your TiVo and your PC are on the same LAN
    > with no firewall between the two. For instance:
    >
    > Cable modem connects to WAN port on wireless router.
    > TiVo connects to one of the four wired LAN ports on the router.
    > PC connects wirelessly to the router.
    >
    > A situation that I've seen not work is:
    >
    > Cable modem connects to WAN port of firewall-router.
    > TiVo and wireless router both connect to LAN ports on firewall-router.
    > PC connects wirelessly to the wireless router.
    >
    > In that case, there were two firewalls. The one directly attached to
    > the cable modem protected the home equipment from the wild Internet.
    > The one in the wireless router "protected" the PC from the TiVo - it
    > was blocking half of the UDP packets that were being broadcast from
    > one to the other.

    > Ports in the firewall/router configuration are irrelevant when both
    > devices are on the same LAN. If your TiVo gets an address assigned
    > by your router and your PC gets its address assigned by the same
    > router, then broadcast packets should be flowing freely between the two.
    > Problems occur when there are two DHCP servers.
    >
    > -Joe
    I'm lost. Here is my setup.
    PC (which is running Norton) connects to the router by wire. Laptop
    connects to router wirelessly. Tivo connects to router wirelessly.
    Good? Bad?
    If this doesn't work and I have to go the wired route from TIVO, do I
    plug the other end into the wireless router of to the PC?

    "J Lunis" wrote...
    > I'm lost. Here is my setup.
    > PC (which is running Norton) connects to the router by
    > wire. Laptop connects to router wirelessly. Tivo
    > connects to router wirelessly. Good? Bad?
    > If this doesn't work and I have to go the wired route from
    > TIVO, do I plug the other end into the wireless router of
    > to the PC?

    This is exactly my setup, and works fine, though I haven't
    tried to do what you're trying. My cable modem comes in to
    the WAN port of a wireless router. Two PC's are wired
    directly to LAN ports on that router, and two laptops and
    the TiVo connect via wireless. The PC's and laptops can all
    share files, as long as proper sharing permissions are given
    on the host PC.

    Your TiVo is getting its updates via your router over the
    internet. It should have access to anything on the LAN
    that's run by that router, and vice versa. If you're trying
    to get files from your PC to your TiVo, perhaps the sharing
    permissions setting on those files is an issue?

    > OK, a little of topic, but, when I test connection I am told it was
    > a success. Under connetion type, I have 'Network' as type of connection
    > to connect to TIVO. And this succeeds also. Now, when I connect to
    > TIVO for an update, am I connecting by phone or through Network? If
    > network, I presume this means TIVO can connect to outside through the
    > router. Still can't get photos or music (yes the sw is running and
    > files are published). I have also gone to TIVO central on the web site
    > and instructed TIVO to record a program - which it did.

    This means the Tivo is seeing the network adapter and using the link. Most
    SoHo (small office/home office) routers handle this by opening/closing port
    sessions as needed based on the inside devices making outbound requests.
    That is, the Tivo goes out and asks for data and the router handles the
    session. The only data 'incoming' is based on the outgoing request from
    your Tivo box.

    This is at least telling you the router and Tivo setup is configured well
    enough to let it function. So it would appear you can continue using the
    Wifi adapter on the Tivo. I generally prefer using a wired connection as
    the speed is usually better, that and it doesn't slow down the other WiFi
    devices I have running. The Tivo's already "wired" to the coax cables (in
    my case for DirecTV) and telephone lines so adding CAT5 ethernet really
    isn't that big a deal.

    When you speak of ports needing to be 'open' for the wireless setup, which
    port numbers? What application running on the laptop claims to need them?
    Some might well need them but in *most* situations it's not usually
    necessary to open inbound ports.

    Also, what router device are you using? And what sort of ISP connection
    (dsl/cable)? Some of the SoHo boxes handle the wired and wifi ports
    differently. Some put them together on one subnet, some separate the wifi
    out on it's own. That will affect what sort of firewall settings might be
    involved (if any).

    -Bill Kearney

    wkearney99 wrote:
    >> OK, a little of topic, but, when I test connection I am told it was
    >>a success. Under connetion type, I have 'Network' as type of connection
    >>to connect to TIVO. And this succeeds also. Now, when I connect to
    >>TIVO for an update, am I connecting by phone or through Network? If
    >>network, I presume this means TIVO can connect to outside through the
    >>router. Still can't get photos or music (yes the sw is running and
    >>files are published). I have also gone to TIVO central on the web site
    >>and instructed TIVO to record a program - which it did.
    >

    > This means the Tivo is seeing the network adapter and using the link. Most
    > SoHo (small office/home office) routers handle this by opening/closing port
    > sessions as needed based on the inside devices making outbound requests.
    > That is, the Tivo goes out and asks for data and the router handles the
    > session. The only data 'incoming' is based on the outgoing request from
    > your Tivo box.
    >
    > This is at least telling you the router and Tivo setup is configured well
    > enough to let it function. So it would appear you can continue using the
    > Wifi adapter on the Tivo. I generally prefer using a wired connection as
    > the speed is usually better, that and it doesn't slow down the other WiFi
    > devices I have running. The Tivo's already "wired" to the coax cables (in
    > my case for DirecTV) and telephone lines so adding CAT5 ethernet really
    > isn't that big a deal.
    >
    > When you speak of ports needing to be 'open' for the wireless setup, which
    > port numbers? What application running on the laptop claims to need them?
    > Some might well need them but in *most* situations it's not usually
    > necessary to open inbound ports.
    >
    > Also, what router device are you using? And what sort of ISP connection
    > (dsl/cable)? Some of the SoHo boxes handle the wired and wifi ports
    > differently. Some put them together on one subnet, some separate the wifi
    > out on it's own. That will affect what sort of firewall settings might be
    > involved (if any).
    >
    > -Bill Kearney

    Yeh, forgot to mention my cable modem is direct connect to the router.
    Only reason I mention ports is the TIVO web site says I need certain
    ports TCP 2190, UDP 2190, TCP 8080-8089) open.
    THat is the way I figured. Tivo can connect to outside through the
    router and signal strength and network name are OK. THe router has sent
    TIVO its IP address. Everything I see works.
    On TIVO web site, I have 'Transfers allowed.'
    TiVO s/w is running and started. Files are listed (published) in the
    TIVO sw. Everything I see tells me I should be OK. Yet when I go to
    TIVO Central, select Photos and Music and select my server (to the PC or
    router) I get 'Server can not be found.'

    J Lunis wrote:

    > PC (which is running Norton) connects to the router by wire. Laptop
    > connects to router wirelessly. Tivo connects to router wirelessly.
    > Good? Bad?

    Good, as long as Norton does not interfere. It could very well be
    blocking UDP broadcasts on ports that it does not recognize.

    Try temporarily disabling Norton to see if that was preventing
    your TiVo and PC from talking.

    > If this doesn't work and I have to go the wired route from TIVO, do I
    > plug the other end into the wireless router of to the PC?

    To the router.
    -Joe

    J Lunis wrote:

    > Only reason I mention ports is the TIVO web site says I need certain
    > ports TCP 2190, UDP 2190, TCP 8080-8089) open.

    Yes, those are the ports that need to be open on your PC's firewall
    software. If Norton is blocking that, the changes need to be made
    in Norton's configuration (not the router's configuration).

    -Joe

    Joe Smith wrote:
    > J Lunis wrote:
    >
    >> Only reason I mention ports is the TIVO web site says I need certain
    >> ports TCP 2190, UDP 2190, TCP 8080-8089) open.
    >

    > Yes, those are the ports that need to be open on your PC's firewall
    > software. If Norton is blocking that, the changes need to be made
    > in Norton's configuration (not the router's configuration).
    >
    > -Joe
    OK, disbled Norton. Still 'Server was not found.'

    I want to review what I think I know in the hope of finding where my
    probelm lies.
    1) Have the latest update to my TIVO DVR.
    2) Have the latest sw from the TIVO web site; installed and 'started.'
    3) Have files - photo and music - published.
    4) Tivo server and TIVO beacon are running.
    5) TIVO web site shows 'tranfers allowed.'
    6) If there is a place in System Info that should show 'Transfers
    allowed,' I can't find it.
    7) When I test the connection I succeed.
    8) TIVO can connect wirelessly though my router to 'outside' to get updates.
    9) TIVO DVR has been assigned an IP addres and signal strength is excellent.
    10) I have checked my TIVO 15-digit #, network name, network password
    and all are correct - obvious since TIVO can dial out through the network.
    11) I have the PC IP address entered correctly in TIVO Central on the DVR.
    12) I have disabled Norton Firewall, confirmed Windows firewall is
    'OFF,' shutdown Norton Intrusion Protection, Privacy, and Antivirus.
    Still when I go to TIVO and select 'Music and Photos' and select the IP
    Address for the PC or router, I get 'Server not found.'
    What am I missing?

    In article <42D2ABF9.5080905@gmail.com>, J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    > I want to review what I think I know in the hope of finding where my
    > probelm lies.
    > 1) Have the latest update to my TIVO DVR.
    > 2) Have the latest sw from the TIVO web site; installed and 'started.'
    > 3) Have files - photo and music - published.
    > 4) Tivo server and TIVO beacon are running.
    > 5) TIVO web site shows 'tranfers allowed.'
    > 6) If there is a place in System Info that should show 'Transfers
    > allowed,' I can't find it.
    > 7) When I test the connection I succeed.
    > 8) TIVO can connect wirelessly though my router to 'outside' to get updates.
    > 9) TIVO DVR has been assigned an IP addres and signal strength is excellent.
    > 10) I have checked my TIVO 15-digit #, network name, network password
    > and all are correct - obvious since TIVO can dial out through the network.
    > 11) I have the PC IP address entered correctly in TIVO Central on the DVR.
    > 12) I have disabled Norton Firewall, confirmed Windows firewall is
    > 'OFF,' shutdown Norton Intrusion Protection, Privacy, and Antivirus.
    > Still when I go to TIVO and select 'Music and Photos' and select the IP
    > Address for the PC or router, I get 'Server not found.'
    > What am I missing?

    You have to open up ports on the router now.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Routers