Hard Drive Smoked?

Well, I knew it had to happen sooner or later. One of my RTV units, a
5040, is in a permanent "Please Wait" mode and the machine is making a
ticking sound like a clock. I've done several power off reboots with no
change.
Does this sound like a disk problem or is the ticking a symptom of
something else? What is the easiest (not necessarily cheapest) way to
fix it? I know I can send it back to RTV but where's the best place to
get a pre-flashed drive (I don't want to crack open my PC)? TIA for
suggestions.
3 answers Last reply
More about hard drive smoked

    BruceR wrote:
    > Well, I knew it had to happen sooner or later. One of my RTV units, a
    > 5040, is in a permanent "Please Wait" mode and the machine is making a
    > ticking sound like a clock. I've done several power off reboots with no
    > change.
    > Does this sound like a disk problem or is the ticking a symptom of
    > something else? What is the easiest (not necessarily cheapest) way to
    > fix it? I know I can send it back to RTV but where's the best place to
    > get a pre-flashed drive (I don't want to crack open my PC)? TIA for
    > suggestions.

    Mikeyboy on the Replay forum at avsforums.com sells prepared drives
    (among others), though the procedure is simpple enough to do yourself.
    You can look at Gary's site:

    http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/

    I'll check him out right now, thanks!

    From:Tony D
    nospam@nospam.com

    > BruceR wrote:
    >> Well, I knew it had to happen sooner or later. One of my RTV units, a
    >> 5040, is in a permanent "Please Wait" mode and the machine is making
    >> a ticking sound like a clock. I've done several power off reboots
    >> with no change.
    >> Does this sound like a disk problem or is the ticking a symptom of
    >> something else? What is the easiest (not necessarily cheapest) way to
    >> fix it? I know I can send it back to RTV but where's the best place
    >> to get a pre-flashed drive (I don't want to crack open my PC)? TIA
    >> for suggestions.
    >>

    > Mikeyboy on the Replay forum at avsforums.com sells prepared drives
    > (among others), though the procedure is simpple enough to do yourself.
    > You can look at Gary's site:
    >

    > http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/

    Yes, it does sound like a POSSIBLE driver problem... However as with
    everything a single symptom is generally not diagnostic, but it is a
    strong indicator

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

Ptv Replaytv Hard Drives ReplayTV