Gray Market NES Top Loaders

I'm sure everyone has seen these by now, they've replaced the 'wonder
joys' at our local mall, and are all over e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8200456284&rd=1

(just a sample pulled at random)

Has anyone tried these? Obviously, the ability to play NES games in a
top loading system WITH a/v cables is what i'm aiming for. I recently
took my original NES apart, cleaned the hell out of it and even
plugging carts directly into it with the 'push down' system removed,
it's stll blue screen madness most of the time.

I actually own a top loader (bought it new for $50 back in the day) but
that only has R/F outs which just about kills the usefullness of a
'plug n' play' setup for me.

Anyway, are these worth the $30 or so? They guy at the mall SWORE it
wouldn't play NES or Famicom games, saying 'oh if it did nintendo would
sue!' I guess the 110 multicart he sells with the with 20 variants of
SMB is totally OK though.. whatever.

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com
14 answers Last reply
More about gray market nes top loaders

    > Has anyone tried these?

    I have one and use it often. It's a Yobo. It rocks. It's small and sexy...
    it has original NES controller ports so you can use real NES controllers
    (light guns, peripherals, etc) on it. Well worth $30.

    The other guy who replied to your post said he needed an adapter to play NES
    games... mine says "USA Version" on the box and plays NES carts natively -
    meaning I don't need an adapter to play my NES games. I *would* need an
    adapter to play famicom games on it. So it sounds like he has the asian
    version.

    I paid $30 at a local game store in Los Angeles.

    > They guy at the mall SWORE it
    > wouldn't play NES or Famicom games, saying 'oh if it did nintendo would
    > sue!'

    He's smoking plastic. It plays NES games if it says "USA Version" on the
    box.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
    > I'm sure everyone has seen these by now, they've replaced the 'wonder
    > joys' at our local mall, and are all over e-bay:
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8200456284&rd=1
    >
    > (just a sample pulled at random)
    >
    > Has anyone tried these? Obviously, the ability to play NES games in a
    > top loading system WITH a/v cables is what i'm aiming for. I recently
    > took my original NES apart, cleaned the hell out of it and even
    > plugging carts directly into it with the 'push down' system removed,
    > it's stll blue screen madness most of the time.
    >
    > I actually own a top loader (bought it new for $50 back in the day) but
    > that only has R/F outs which just about kills the usefullness of a
    > 'plug n' play' setup for me.
    >
    > Anyway, are these worth the $30 or so? They guy at the mall SWORE it
    > wouldn't play NES or Famicom games, saying 'oh if it did nintendo would
    > sue!' I guess the 110 multicart he sells with the with 20 variants of
    > SMB is totally OK though.. whatever.
    >
    > = numsix
    > = http://www.villagebbs.com

    I have two old-style NES consoles in my closet since they
    tend to give me the old blue screen 99% of the time. I finally
    knuckled down and got one of those top-loaders by Yobo
    at a game store. It comes with an adapter that enables it to
    play American NES games. It does use A/V cables (which I liked
    for the original NES), and has played every game I have thrown
    at it (including Death Race, which I could never get running on
    the NES) with no problems at all.
    The only caveat I have is that the cart, with the adapter
    attached, isn't very snug in the slot, but since mine
    sits on a shelf, I haven't had it shake out or anything.
    Also the controllers are built pretty cheap, though
    again, I haven't had any break. It cost me 39.95 when I
    bought it back in February.
    So by my own personal experience, I'd go for it. Others'
    personal experiences may vary ^_^.

    --
    New version of an old favorite!
    The Briefcase Fulla Rant!

    In article <1119579275.697654.124080@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "Jack (www.villagebbs.com)" <lupin3@planetjurai.com> wrote:

    > I'm sure everyone has seen these by now, they've replaced the 'wonder
    > joys' at our local mall, and are all over e-bay:
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8200456284&r
    > d=1
    >
    > (just a sample pulled at random)
    >
    > Has anyone tried these? Obviously, the ability to play NES games in a
    > top loading system WITH a/v cables is what i'm aiming for. I recently
    > took my original NES apart, cleaned the hell out of it and even
    > plugging carts directly into it with the 'push down' system removed,
    > it's stll blue screen madness most of the time.
    >
    > I actually own a top loader (bought it new for $50 back in the day) but
    > that only has R/F outs which just about kills the usefullness of a
    > 'plug n' play' setup for me.
    >
    > Anyway, are these worth the $30 or so? They guy at the mall SWORE it
    > wouldn't play NES or Famicom games, saying 'oh if it did nintendo would
    > sue!' I guess the 110 multicart he sells with the with 20 variants of
    > SMB is totally OK though.. whatever.

    A local game reseller here in StL (The Game Trader in St. Charles,
    specifically) carries these. They seem to work well. Initially, they
    did not have NES controller ports, but that seems to have been fixed.

    They do work well, and the composite a/v is nice.

    jt
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Jojo wrote:
    >>Has anyone tried these?
    >

    > I have one and use it often. It's a Yobo. It rocks. It's small and sexy...
    > it has original NES controller ports so you can use real NES controllers
    > (light guns, peripherals, etc) on it. Well worth $30.
    >
    > The other guy who replied to your post said he needed an adapter to play NES
    > games... mine says "USA Version" on the box and plays NES carts natively -
    > meaning I don't need an adapter to play my NES games. I *would* need an
    > adapter to play famicom games on it. So it sounds like he has the asian
    > version.

    I do. After replying I followed his link and I saw the differences to
    mine (most notably the cart label facing the front of the unit; mine
    has to go in the opposite way) and the controller ports that resemble
    the old Atari/Sega ports (already tried Sega Master System and
    Genny controllers in 'em; they don't work properly). Still, even given
    those differences, I still can play my NES games, so I don't regret
    getting it.

    --
    New version of an old favorite!
    The Briefcase Fulla Rant!
    http://briefrant.com
    It'll grab you and won't let you go ^_^!
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "Jack (www.villagebbs.com)" <lupin3@planetjurai.com> wrote in message
    > I'm sure everyone has seen these by now, they've replaced the 'wonder
    > joys' at our local mall, and are all over e-bay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8200456284&rd=1

    > (just a sample pulled at random)
    >
    > Has anyone tried these? Obviously, the ability to play NES games in a
    > top loading system WITH a/v cables is what i'm aiming for. I recently
    > took my original NES apart, cleaned the hell out of it and even
    > plugging carts directly into it with the 'push down' system removed,
    > it's stll blue screen madness most of the time.
    [SNIP]

    I broke down and purchased one of the Yobo "FC Game Consoles" because the
    sole front-loading NES I own has problems reading the cartridges. It came
    in three colors--white with red, blue with white, and a more "modern" silver
    with black.

    Despite what some of the other replies have said, mine does NOT work with
    original NES controllers even though the ports look the same. While you can
    plug two NES controllers into it, the Yobo controllers are actually more
    like the SNES controllers in that they have 4 (not 2) action buttons (and an
    LED and "slow" button which they have added). When I tried using original
    NES controllers, some of the games read the input incorrectly, so I'm
    guessing that the pins are different. The other problem I have with it is
    that there is no eject button/switch. The cartridges fit very snugly into
    the system, so you have to yank them out manually and it is sometimes
    difficult to do so. I have no idea if pulling cartridges out with force
    will cause problems with the unit in the future.

    On the plus side, the unit is compact (maybe 1/8th the side of the original,
    and barely bigger than the cartridge itself). It is very lightweight, and
    has an A/V output like the original front-loading NES. I paid just over $30
    for it.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Check this one out:

    http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/index.htm

    I'd venture to say that this one should pretty well own the Yobo
    Famiclone. A sleek looking NES clone with both a NES cart and Famicom
    cart slot and wireless controller connectivity.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Carey85 wrote:
    > Check this one out:
    >
    > http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/index.htm
    >
    > I'd venture to say that this one should pretty well own the Yobo
    > Famiclone. A sleek looking NES clone with both a NES cart and Famicom
    > cart slot and wireless controller connectivity.

    Ok, THAT is pretty slick. If the wireless controllers were included (or
    a bit cheaper), I would pick one of these up.

    Tim
    --
    Want to trade games?
    http://www.geocities.com/tsr_rivet/Tradelist.html

    It looks to be quality equipment, hopefully made with quality in mind.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Carey85 wrote:
    > Check this one out:
    >
    > http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/index.htm
    >
    > I'd venture to say that this one should pretty well own the Yobo
    > Famiclone. A sleek looking NES clone with both a NES cart and Famicom
    > cart slot and wireless controller connectivity.

    Notice it has wireless capability. The unit itself comes with one wired
    controller. You must buy the wireless controllers seperately for
    $59.99!!!!! That's the same cost as the unit itself!!!! What a crock.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Chuck Whitby <intvsama@verizon.net> wrote in

    >>> http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/index.htm
    >
    > Just because the system's old doesn't mean all the technology being
    > implemented in it is.

    That's a pretty slick little unit, I have to admit. Although,
    I can't imagine ever using a knockoff system to play my beloved
    games.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote in

    > Chuck Whitby <intvsama@verizon.net> wrote in

    >> Just because the system's old doesn't mean all the technology being
    >> implemented in it is.
    >>

    > That's a pretty slick little unit, I have to admit. Although,
    > I can't imagine ever using a knockoff system to play my beloved
    > games.

    Not exactly knock-off. The story, as it's been told to me, is that
    Messiah approached Nintendo to make it an official sanctioned Nintendo
    unit. Nintendo didn't want to be bothered with it, but gave them their
    blessings on the production of the Generation NEX.

    This may not be 100% true, but it's the story I got.

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    BTW, I don't know if everyone's noticed the dual cart ports on the
    Generation NEX. Cart port on the front is for NES carts. There's a second
    cart port on the top towards the back for Famicom carts. No need for
    adaptors or a seperate Famicom system, the NEX plays both.

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    >> That's a pretty slick little unit, I have to admit. Although,
    >> I can't imagine ever using a knockoff system to play my beloved
    >> games.
    >>

    > Not exactly knock-off. The story, as it's been told to me, is that
    > Messiah approached Nintendo to make it an official sanctioned Nintendo
    > unit. Nintendo didn't want to be bothered with it, but gave them their
    > blessings on the production of the Generation NEX.
    >
    > This may not be 100% true, but it's the story I got.

    Very interesting, I admit it warms me up to the NEX a *little*. Kinda
    strange, Nintendo is not known for giving their blessing on anything
    they don't get a cut out of.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    >> D: Priced a good wireless controller for a current gen system? (ala
    >> Wavebird for Gamecube, also $30+ each)
    >

    >I guess you have a point there. How about a single controller for $30???
    >At least it would be more affordable to some.

    I don't know if they are responding to your complaint or if you simply
    overlooked it, but when I checked their page today I saw they DO offer
    the wireless controllers in a single unit package, for $29.99. Even
    includes the dog tag! ;)

Games