Will DirectTV Tivo work with cable?

Am I correct in assuming that my Hughes DirectTV unit would not work if I
was forced to switch to cable? I may have to in the building I am moving to.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> writes:
    >Am I correct in assuming that my Hughes DirectTV unit would not work if I
    >was forced to switch to cable? I may have to in the building I am moving to.

    Thats correct. It only works with DirecTV Satellite feeds, you'd have
    to get a stand-alone TiVo.

    I'm a fairly new Tivo user and have a series 2 box which I use with
    cable. I have a used directtv unit (but no directtv). Would any of the
    innards useful if I were to get into hacking my Tivo2? Is there anyway
    to 'convert' this box for use?

    Thanks for the interest.
    Chester

    In article <42c7d06b$0$63893$902e6010@newsreader.geeks.org>,
    merlyn@geeks.org says...
    > "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> writes:
    > >Am I correct in assuming that my Hughes DirectTV unit would not work if I
    > >was forced to switch to cable? I may have to in the building I am moving to.
    >
    > Thats correct. It only works with DirecTV Satellite feeds, you'd have
    > to get a stand-alone TiVo.

    > I'm a fairly new Tivo user and have a series 2 box which I use with
    > cable. I have a used directtv unit (but no directtv). Would any of the
    > innards useful if I were to get into hacking my Tivo2? Is there anyway
    > to 'convert' this box for use?

    The DirecTV Tivo units can record only from the DirecTV satellite service.
    They cannot record from any other source (like RF, composite or S-video).
    This is by design. The DirecTV signal is already digital and is recorded
    directly to disk in that format. A regular (standalone) Tivo has to encode
    the incoming signal. The only useful part of the DirecTivo (for you) would
    be the hard drive. Drives are drives, you could use it in the S2 box if you
    need a replacement or wanted to expand it. But unless it's a big drive
    (like more than 80gb) it's probably not worth bothering.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video Cable