TIA for advice.
8 answers Last reply
More about unused space determine

    On 2005-07-05, Emma Steed <Blank@Blank.com> wrote:
    > How can I determine if there is free space left on my HD for
    > additional recording, i.e. I am losing programs after only 2-3
    > days. Since I only have 8-10 one hour programs on my list to
    > view, how can I be running out of HD space and having my oldest
    > recorded prorams deleted?
    >
    > TIA for advice.

    Turn on TiVo suggestions. Once TiVo fills your drive with suggestions,
    just keep an eye on how many suggestions are there - that's how much space
    you have.

    --
    This is my .sig

    Emma Steed <Blank@Blank.com> wrote in news:Xns968A6F8E4C7ADBlankBlankcom@
    213.155.197.138:

    > How can I determine if there is free space left on my HD for
    > additional recording, i.e. I am losing programs after only 2-3
    > days. Since I only have 8-10 one hour programs on my list to
    > view, how can I be running out of HD space and having my oldest
    > recorded prorams deleted?

    What capacity do you have, and what recording level do you use?

    Howard <stile99@email..com> wrote in

    > Emma Steed <Blank@Blank.com> wrote in
    > news:Xns968A6F8E4C7ADBlankBlankcom@ 213.155.197.138:
    >
    >> How can I determine if there is free space left on my HD
    >> for additional recording, i.e. I am losing programs after
    >> only 2-3 days. Since I only have 8-10 one hour programs
    >> on my list to view, how can I be running out of HD space
    >> and having my oldest recorded prorams deleted?
    >
    > What capacity do you have, and what recording level do you
    > use?

    I believe I have 80 hours, and record at best quality. After
    about 45 hours, it starts dropping programs from the earliest
    recorded (at least it does that right!).
    BTW, I understand that if I record a program with a lot of
    action (like to view auto and motorcycle races), and the
    elapsed time is 2 hours, it takes more disc space than a 2
    hour drama program, (assuming quality of recording is the
    same). Is this true?
    TIA for any help with my question.

    "Emma Steed" <Blank@Blank.com> wrote in message
    > Howard <stile99@email..com> wrote in
    >
    >> Emma Steed <Blank@Blank.com> wrote in
    >> news:Xns968A6F8E4C7ADBlankBlankcom@ 213.155.197.138:
    >>
    >>> How can I determine if there is free space left on my HD
    >>> for additional recording, i.e. I am losing programs after
    >>> only 2-3 days. Since I only have 8-10 one hour programs
    >>> on my list to view, how can I be running out of HD space
    >>> and having my oldest recorded prorams deleted?
    >>
    >> What capacity do you have, and what recording level do you
    >> use?
    >>

    > I believe I have 80 hours, and record at best quality. After
    > about 45 hours, it starts dropping programs from the earliest
    > recorded (at least it does that right!).
    > BTW, I understand that if I record a program with a lot of
    > action (like to view auto and motorcycle races), and the
    > elapsed time is 2 hours, it takes more disc space than a 2
    > hour drama program, (assuming quality of recording is the
    > same). Is this true?
    > TIA for any help with my question.

    Sounds like you have a stand alone Tivo. I believe the 80 hours is at
    lowest quality, so at best quality it will be a lot less. I have a direct
    TV Tivo so mine works a little differently, I don't have a quality setting.

    Compression does vary based on content, and generally shows with a lot of
    movement take more space. There's no hard and fast rule though, lot's of
    things can affect compression.

    For comparison purposes, on my Direct TV Tivo a half hour show can vary
    between a low of about 350Kb and a high of about 950KB. Most of them fall
    within 450-600Kb though. This variation is supposedly why Tivo does not
    tell you free space available, Tivo is afraid that to many people will get
    confused trying to convert bytes remaining to time remaining,

    Emma Steed <Blank@Blank.com> wrote in news:Xns968AA26E28B53BlankBlankcom@
    213.155.197.138:

    > I believe I have 80 hours, and record at best quality. After
    > about 45 hours, it starts dropping programs from the earliest
    > recorded (at least it does that right!).

    You're actually getting tons more than you should then. As a very very
    general, very very basic rule of thumb, take the stated capacity and divide
    it in half, then in half again to get the capacity when recorded at 'best'.
    Try dropping the recording level a bit. It varies with different people
    and different TVs, but odds are you can get away with High, and quite
    possibly Medium.

    > BTW, I understand that if I record a program with a lot of
    > action (like to view auto and motorcycle races), and the
    > elapsed time is 2 hours, it takes more disc space than a 2
    > hour drama program, (assuming quality of recording is the
    > same). Is this true?

    Well, yes and no. And yes. I understand Series2 (which you most likely
    have) don't have VBR (variable bit rate) as an option, and it is turned on
    by default. So a relatively static image (cartoons) will take less space
    than a relatively active image (sci fi space battles/explosions). At the
    lower recording levels, the increased action will result in 'artifacting',
    which different people see in different ways to varied degrees.

    In article <Xns968AC2BCC740Fstile@129.250.170.81>,
    Howard <stile99@email..com> wrote:
    >Emma Steed <Blank@Blank.com> wrote in news:Xns968AA26E28B53BlankBlankcom@
    >213.155.197.138:
    >> BTW, I understand that if I record a program with a lot of
    >> action (like to view auto and motorcycle races), and the
    >> elapsed time is 2 hours, it takes more disc space than a 2
    >> hour drama program, (assuming quality of recording is the
    >> same). Is this true?
    >
    >Well, yes and no. And yes. I understand Series2 (which you most likely
    >have) don't have VBR (variable bit rate) as an option, and it is turned on
    >by default. So a relatively static image (cartoons) will take less space
    >than a relatively active image (sci fi space battles/explosions). At the
    >lower recording levels, the increased action will result in 'artifacting',
    >which different people see in different ways to varied degrees.

    Though I *think* (I don't have proof) that VBR isn't actually used at
    Basic quality. I seem to remember that being said here in the past,
    likely by Tivo employees that used to post here.

    Even if this was true in the past, it might not be true on Series 2s..

    Is that enough disclaimers? BTW, I have VBR (officially "Save Disk Space")
    turned on even though I do most recording in basic quality.
    --
    mattack@gmail.com

    Emma Steed wrote:
    > Howard <stile99@email..com> wrote in
    >
    >>>How can I determine if there is free space left on my HD
    >>>for additional recording, i.e. I am losing programs after
    >>>only 2-3 days. Since I only have 8-10 one hour programs
    >>>on my list to view, how can I be running out of HD space
    >>>and having my oldest recorded prorams deleted?

    Don't forget that the default setting of Keep At Most = 5
    means that the 1st episode will be deleted when it comes time
    to record the 6th episode of a Season Pass.

    >>What capacity do you have, and what recording level do you
    >>use?
    >
    > I believe I have 80 hours, and record at best quality. After
    > about 45 hours, it starts dropping programs from the earliest
    > recorded (at least it does that right!).

    Your 80 GB disk drive provides:
    80 hours at BASIC,
    51 hours at MEDIUM,
    38 hours at HIGH,
    24 hours at BEST.

    http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1219.htm?

    -Joe

    Emma Steed <Blank@Blank.com> wrote in news:Xns968A6F8E4C7ADBlankBlankcom@
    213.155.197.138:

    > How can I determine if there is free space left on my HD for
    > additional recording, i.e. I am losing programs after only 2-3
    > days. Since I only have 8-10 one hour programs on my list to
    > view, how can I be running out of HD space and having my oldest
    > recorded prorams deleted?
    >
    > TIA for advice.

    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=235420

Ptv Tivo HD Free Space