I fear my PSU will not be enough, But.. I cannot buy another PSU

Is my Rig enough to power a R9 290 Tri-x OC?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Ninjaxsl

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hey guys i was wondering whether I'm truly in trouble and the main issue is that I'm getting a AMD R9 290 Tri-x (Overclocked) and my PSU is the Corsair CX600 (600 Watts) while the recommended Watts is 700 to 750 minimum.

Here's my Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
CPU: Intel i5 4670K Running at stock speeds (But speed boost from ASUS BIOS)
Graphics Card: At the moment it's the inbuilt Intel HD Graphics 4600
Memory: 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 4x4 = 8
PSU: Corsair CX600 80+ Bronze Awards (Efficient)
Case: Corsair CIT Vantage Blue Gaming Case

and that's basically it for now (with the new upcoming Graphics card afterwards of course)

Do I have enough Watts available for the Graphics Card or did I just buy a £329 piece of high-end equipment that will never be used?

Help is appreciated :)

Thanks

:)

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
A lot of people have been asking this question recently. You are going to receive two different answers. You will receive answers from people that will tell you that you can power the Tri-x OC with 600w, which is true in "some" cases. It all depends on the power draw of your system and what you feel safe with. The second answer you will receive, is the one that people like me will give you. I always go with what the producer recommends. Why do I do that? Simply because they recommend it. It is "recommended" that you use a 750w Power Supply with the R9 290 Tri-x OC.

I have the AMD R9 290 SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC 4GB. I myself use the Corsair cx750w PSU. I rather be safe than sorry. This card runs very hot as I tell everyone. I also own the CX 600; even though I haven't tried it with my current GPU, if any PSU can do it then it is that one.

It comes down to what you want to do honestly. What is right vs what could work.

Hi - the 700w is overstated, the cx600 will run that sys with one R9 290. realhardtechx suggests a 650w unit,
but they also build in headroom.

It comes down to the +12v amps, a sys with an R9 290 requires at least 31 +12v amps, the CX600 has 46 +12v amps, more than enough to power the system. The CPU & GPU draw their current from the +12v rail(s).

It is not however, Haswell ready, so you will need to disable the sleep state in BIOS.

Hi again - because the supplier recommended it is not a good reason unto itself. All these sites err
on the high side because of PSU's that lie about their specs and outdated designs that don't have
enough of their total power avail on the +12v rail(s) where it's needed for today's PC's.
They have also built in xtra to cover lite/bitcoin mining which is more stressfull to PSU's than gaming.

from guru 3d:
"Power consumption AMD Radeon R9-290

System in IDLE = 128W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 372W
Difference (GPU load) = 244W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 254 Watts"

In a test of many games with 290's & 290x's here on Tom's HW, only on 1 or 2 tests did the total wattage
exceed 400 and most of time was well below 375w:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-and-290x,3728-4.html

You are fine from a power need with the CX600.

Ninjaxsl

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Thank you my friend so i guess there is no need to buy a Higher Wattage'd PSU just yet :)