cband frequencies

I'm trying to find a chart showing, on a cband receiver,
what frequencies it's receiving for the various Ku band
channels, 1-32. I've found a couple different sources of
information, and they're all different. Even lyngsat shows
different frequencies for the same transponder.. I'd just
like to know what my receiver is receiving when I tune
to those channels. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about cband frequencies
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:03:39 +0000, zach wrote:

    > I'm trying to find a chart showing, on a cband receiver,
    > what frequencies it's receiving for the various Ku band
    > channels, 1-32. I've found a couple different sources of
    > information, and they're all different. Even lyngsat shows
    > different frequencies for the same transponder.. I'd just
    > like to know what my receiver is receiving when I tune
    > to those channels. Thanks.

    You need to tell folks what sort of receiver you're using
    and when it was made. For instance, I have a Chaparral Sierra III
    and the satellite names and formats are quite ancient. I put together
    an translation lexicon so I could keep the names straight using the
    Motorola 4DTV names as an "objective" standard. Some of the
    transponders don't have 32 channels either, although I can
    pick a format that supports 32 channels and tweak the channel
    parameters to just about anything I want.

    I've not really noticed any particular standard for Ku-band
    transponder frequency either, especially for those satellites that
    are used for MPEG-2 ... their frequencies seem to be all over the
    place. I'm sure someone else knows more about that than I do.

    Anyhow, post the type of receiver and perhaps someone who is using
    the same type will be able to help you with your question.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    zach wrote:
    > I'm trying to find a chart showing, on a cband receiver,
    > what frequencies it's receiving for the various Ku band
    > channels, 1-32. I've found a couple different sources of
    > information, and they're all different. Even lyngsat shows
    > different frequencies for the same transponder.. I'd just
    > like to know what my receiver is receiving when I tune
    > to those channels. Thanks.

    The lyngsat charts should be accurate.

    For Ku, remember that there are 2 bands: Ku FSS and Ku DBS.
    Ku FSS LNBFs have a L.O. frequency of 10.750 Ghz, while
    Ku DBS LNBFs have a L.O. frequency of 11.250 Ghz.
    (This is for North America; other parts of the world may differ.)

    If you subtract the appropriate L.O. frequencies from the listed
    frequency, you should get the I.F. in the 950-1450 Mhz range.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    "Mike" <wa7qzrSPAM@DUMPnetscape.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:03:39 +0000, zach wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to find a chart showing, on a cband receiver,
    >> what frequencies it's receiving for the various Ku band
    >> channels, 1-32. I've found a couple different sources of
    >> information, and they're all different. Even lyngsat shows
    >> different frequencies for the same transponder.. I'd just
    >> like to know what my receiver is receiving when I tune
    >> to those channels. Thanks.
    >
    > You need to tell folks what sort of receiver you're using
    > and when it was made. For instance, I have a Chaparral Sierra III
    > and the satellite names and formats are quite ancient. I put together
    > an translation lexicon so I could keep the names straight using the
    > Motorola 4DTV names as an "objective" standard. Some of the
    > transponders don't have 32 channels either, although I can
    > pick a format that supports 32 channels and tweak the channel
    > parameters to just about anything I want.
    >
    > I've not really noticed any particular standard for Ku-band
    > transponder frequency either, especially for those satellites that
    > are used for MPEG-2 ... their frequencies seem to be all over the
    > place. I'm sure someone else knows more about that than I do.
    >
    > Anyhow, post the type of receiver and perhaps someone who is using
    > the same type will be able to help you with your question.

    The receiver I'm using is actually a Uniden Ultra. While I'm still
    using cband, I use this receiver actually just as a receiver for the
    IF frequencies, ie, there is no LNB hooked up, it receives
    the lower IF frequency. I use this for various amateur radio purposes.
    I have a chart of the IF frequencies for a cband lnb, but I have no clue
    what frequency I'm on when I switch it to Ku band.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    "Zoyburg" <rats@attib.com> wrote in message
    > The lyngsat charts should be accurate.
    >
    > For Ku, remember that there are 2 bands: Ku FSS and Ku DBS.
    > Ku FSS LNBFs have a L.O. frequency of 10.750 Ghz, while
    > Ku DBS LNBFs have a L.O. frequency of 11.250 Ghz.
    > (This is for North America; other parts of the world may differ.)
    >
    > If you subtract the appropriate L.O. frequencies from the listed
    > frequency, you should get the I.F. in the 950-1450 Mhz range.

    This is exactly what I needed, thank you.

    I have another dumb question :)

    When talking audio for the channels, it's listed (in my receiver)
    as 6.80mhz. I'm assuming this is an offset. Is it channel
    frequency + audio offset = audio frequency, or channel
    frequency - audio offset = audio frequency, or am I
    completely on the wrong track here? Thank you.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Audio freq's in a satellite receiver are not offsets,but figures in a
    TUNING range....generally 5.00 to 8.50 and stepping up in .01
    increments.6.80 is industry standard for so-called "mono-mix"
    channels,and when stereo carriers are desired 5.80 is generally picked
    for left channel assignments and 6.20 for right channel assignments.This
    is not written in stone however,and any frequency assignment on audio
    carriers can be picked by any uplinking agency to suit their
    purposes.For example,some Canadian uplinkers use 5.20 or 5.85.(I
    discovered this on my own).
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    "zach" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:zsMye.1296$Ae.246
    @newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

    > This is exactly what I needed, thank you.
    >
    > I have another dumb question :)
    >
    > When talking audio for the channels, it's listed (in my receiver)
    > as 6.80mhz. I'm assuming this is an offset. Is it channel
    > frequency + audio offset = audio frequency, or channel
    > frequency - audio offset = audio frequency, or am I
    > completely on the wrong track here? Thank you.

    It is not an offset as it is on an AM video transmission, it is a
    subcarrier modulated on the video carrier.

4DTV Satellite Video