HD Tivo: is there any of archiving shows?

I have a couple of shows I watch all the time, such as the finale of
American Idol, and the Eagles live concert. Best as I can tell, the only way
I can retain these shows with full HDTV resolution, and DD5.1 sound, is to
keep them on the Tivo. Is that correct? I don't have an immediate problem,
as these are the only two shows I wish to retain permanently, but I will
eventually fill up my Tivo, and at that point my only option will be to
either erase some of my content, or buy one or more additional HDTV Tivos.
Anyone?
25 answers Last reply
More about tivo archiving shows

    Z Man wrote:
    > I have a couple of shows I watch all the time, such as the finale of
    > American Idol, and the Eagles live concert. Best as I can tell, the only way
    > I can retain these shows with full HDTV resolution, and DD5.1 sound, is to
    > keep them on the Tivo. Is that correct? I don't have an immediate problem,
    > as these are the only two shows I wish to retain permanently, but I will
    > eventually fill up my Tivo, and at that point my only option will be to
    > either erase some of my content, or buy one or more additional HDTV Tivos.
    > Anyone?

    I think you're basically correct, for all practical purposes. There are
    two alternatives, however, though neither may be attractive to you:

    - Hack the box and pull the shows off over the network to your computer
    (can you do that with HD shows? I'm not sure, but I'd guess yes).

    - Record using an HD VCR. But those are rare and *very* expensive.

    Randy S.

    In article <Qkowe.3136$t07.835@fe12.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    > I have a couple of shows I watch all the time, such as the finale of
    > American Idol, and the Eagles live concert. Best as I can tell, the only way
    > I can retain these shows with full HDTV resolution, and DD5.1 sound, is to
    > keep them on the Tivo. Is that correct? I don't have an immediate problem,
    > as these are the only two shows I wish to retain permanently, but I will
    > eventually fill up my Tivo, and at that point my only option will be to
    > either erase some of my content, or buy one or more additional HDTV Tivos.
    > Anyone?

    You can also add a 2nd hard drive, which will keep your already recorded
    shows.

    www.weaknees.com

    "Randy S." <rswitt@nospam.com> writes:
    >Z Man wrote:
    >> I have a couple of shows I watch all the time, such as the finale of
    >> American Idol, and the Eagles live concert. Best as I can tell, the only way
    >> I can retain these shows with full HDTV resolution, and DD5.1 sound, is to
    >> keep them on the Tivo. Is that correct? I don't have an immediate problem,
    >> as these are the only two shows I wish to retain permanently, but I will
    >> eventually fill up my Tivo, and at that point my only option will be to
    >> either erase some of my content, or buy one or more additional HDTV Tivos.
    >> Anyone?

    >I think you're basically correct, for all practical purposes. There are
    >two alternatives, however, though neither may be attractive to you:

    >- Hack the box and pull the shows off over the network to your computer
    >(can you do that with HD shows? I'm not sure, but I'd guess yes).

    >- Record using an HD VCR. But those are rare and *very* expensive.

    Not so expensive, you can get the older JVC for around $300-$400.
    BUT, all DVHS boxes require to get the data via Firewire. The HDTivo
    box doesn't have a firewire port.

    DVD's aren't HD, so your only choices are computer or DVHS anyway. The
    computer media center solution is probably best right now if you can
    hack it and get the data off.

    >>- Record using an HD VCR. But those are rare and *very* expensive.
    >

    > Not so expensive, you can get the older JVC for around $300-$400.
    > BUT, all DVHS boxes require to get the data via Firewire. The HDTivo
    > box doesn't have a firewire port.

    Good point, thanks.

    In article <jackzwick-E295C0.06355429062005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com>, Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >In article <Qkowe.3136$t07.835@fe12.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I have a couple of shows I watch all the time, such as the finale of
    >> American Idol, and the Eagles live concert. Best as I can tell, the only way
    >> I can retain these shows with full HDTV resolution, and DD5.1 sound, is to
    >> keep them on the Tivo. Is that correct? I don't have an immediate problem,
    >> as these are the only two shows I wish to retain permanently, but I will
    >> eventually fill up my Tivo, and at that point my only option will be to
    >> either erase some of my content, or buy one or more additional HDTV Tivos.
    >> Anyone?
    >
    >You can also add a 2nd hard drive, which will keep your already recorded
    >shows.
    >
    >www.weaknees.com
    This is for the OP, why not just go buy the full Eagles concert DVD ? Its
    much better quality than the cut up version they showed on network TV and its
    only $17 at places like Target and Best Buy. The Eagles DVD has DTS 5.1 full
    bitrate and PCM.

    > This is for the OP, why not just go buy the full Eagles concert DVD ? Its
    > much better quality than the cut up version they showed on network TV and its
    > only $17 at places like Target and Best Buy. The Eagles DVD has DTS 5.1 full
    > bitrate and PCM.

    Not a bad idea, though remember it still isn't in HD.

    Randy S.

    In article <d9uiko$q32$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, "Randy S." <rswitt@nospam.com> wrote:

    >> This is for the OP, why not just go buy the full Eagles concert DVD ? Its
    >> much better quality than the cut up version they showed on network TV and its
    >
    >> only $17 at places like Target and Best Buy. The Eagles DVD has DTS 5.1 full
    >> bitrate and PCM.
    >
    >Not a bad idea, though remember it still isn't in HD.
    >
    >Randy S.
    The Eagles concert that was broadcast wasnt true HD either, it was upsampled

    You are missing 2/3 of the concert on the broadcast version. There are 30
    songs on the DVD version.

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <d9uiko$q32$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, "Randy S." <rswitt@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>This is for the OP, why not just go buy the full Eagles concert DVD ? Its
    >>>much better quality than the cut up version they showed on network TV and its
    >>
    >>>only $17 at places like Target and Best Buy. The Eagles DVD has DTS 5.1 full
    >>>bitrate and PCM.
    >>
    >>Not a bad idea, though remember it still isn't in HD.
    >>
    >>Randy S.
    >
    > The Eagles concert that was broadcast wasnt true HD either, it was upsampled
    >

    > You are missing 2/3 of the concert on the broadcast version. There are 30
    > songs on the DVD version.

    Ah, I did not know that!

    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswitt@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >Z Man wrote:
    >> I have a couple of shows I watch all the time, such as the finale of
    >> American Idol, and the Eagles live concert. Best as I can tell, the only
    >> way I can retain these shows with full HDTV resolution, and DD5.1 sound,
    >> is to keep them on the Tivo. Is that correct? I don't have an immediate
    >> problem, as these are the only two shows I wish to retain permanently,
    >> but I will eventually fill up my Tivo, and at that point my only option
    >> will be to either erase some of my content, or buy one or more additional
    >> HDTV Tivos. Anyone?
    >
    > I think you're basically correct, for all practical purposes. There are
    > two alternatives, however, though neither may be attractive to you:
    >
    > - Hack the box and pull the shows off over the network to your computer
    > (can you do that with HD shows? I'm not sure, but I'd guess yes).

    If it does work on the HD-TiVo, it probably won't work in "this" case as
    part of the hack for transferrring shows (last I read through the hack
    documents, so some of this may have changed) requires turning off encryption
    so that shows recorded from then on will be transferable.

    "GMAN" <glenzabr@xmission.com> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <jackzwick-E295C0.06355429062005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com>, Jack
    > Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>In article <Qkowe.3136$t07.835@fe12.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a couple of shows I watch all the time, such as the finale of
    >>> American Idol, and the Eagles live concert. Best as I can tell, the only
    >>> way
    >>> I can retain these shows with full HDTV resolution, and DD5.1 sound, is
    >>> keep them on the Tivo. Is that correct? I don't have an immediate
    >>> problem,
    >>> as these are the only two shows I wish to retain permanently, but I will
    >>> eventually fill up my Tivo, and at that point my only option will be to
    >>> either erase some of my content, or buy one or more additional HDTV
    >>> Tivos.
    >>> Anyone?
    >>
    >>You can also add a 2nd hard drive, which will keep your already recorded
    >>shows.
    >>
    >>www.weaknees.com
    > This is for the OP, why not just go buy the full Eagles concert DVD ? Its
    > much better quality than the cut up version they showed on network TV and
    > its
    > only $17 at places like Target and Best Buy. The Eagles DVD has DTS 5.1
    > full
    > bitrate and PCM.

    I do have the Eagles DTS DVD, and it is great. I would also like to retain
    the live concert. Live concerts are kind of nice, although not as polished
    as the studio version.

    "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In article <Qkowe.3136$t07.835@fe12.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a couple of shows I watch all the time, such as the finale of
    >> American Idol, and the Eagles live concert. Best as I can tell, the only
    >> way
    >> I can retain these shows with full HDTV resolution, and DD5.1 sound, is
    >> keep them on the Tivo. Is that correct? I don't have an immediate
    >> problem,
    >> as these are the only two shows I wish to retain permanently, but I will
    >> eventually fill up my Tivo, and at that point my only option will be to
    >> either erase some of my content, or buy one or more additional HDTV
    >> Tivos.
    >> Anyone?
    >
    > You can also add a 2nd hard drive, which will keep your already recorded
    > shows.

    That would appear to be a reasonable alternative, but raises a few question:
    Will a second hard drive fit inside the case, or would I use an external?
    How would I determine on which hard drive a particular show appears? Or,
    would I install a fresh hard drive, and then remove the one with my shows?
    What about the operating system...I would need to install it on the new hard
    drive if I remove the old one, and I would imagine it is proprietary.

    Could I mount the hard drive with my shows in my PC, either internally or
    externally? What format would the shows be in? I look forward to the
    introduction of HD DVD's. If I could warehouse these shows for 6 months to a
    year, I could archive them on HD DVD's, assuming they are stored in (or can
    be converted to) a compatible format that I could eventually burn to a DVD.

    In article <itIwe.7511$2Z3.7195@fe10.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"GMAN" <glenzabr@xmission.com> wrote in message
    >> In article
    >> <jackzwick-E295C0.06355429062005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com>, Jack
    >> Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>>You can also add a 2nd hard drive, which will keep your already recorded
    >>>shows.
    >>>
    >>>www.weaknees.com
    >> This is for the OP, why not just go buy the full Eagles concert DVD ? Its
    >> much better quality than the cut up version they showed on network TV and
    >> its
    >> only $17 at places like Target and Best Buy. The Eagles DVD has DTS 5.1
    >> full
    >> bitrate and PCM.
    >
    >I do have the Eagles DTS DVD, and it is great. I would also like to retain
    >the live concert. Live concerts are kind of nice, although not as polished
    >as the studio version.

    But the so called NBC/BRAVO concert was not live. It was an edited down,
    changed,modified version of the 30 song Live in melbourn concert. It was not
    being showed as it happened in melbourn.

    > In article <itIwe.7511$2Z3.7195@fe10.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>"GMAN" <glenzabr@xmission.com> wrote in message
    >>> In article
    >>> <jackzwick-E295C0.06355429062005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com>, Jack

    >>> This is for the OP, why not just go buy the full Eagles concert DVD ?
    >>> Its
    >>> much better quality than the cut up version they showed on network TV
    >>> and
    >>> its
    >>> only $17 at places like Target and Best Buy. The Eagles DVD has DTS 5.1
    >>> full
    >>> bitrate and PCM.
    >>
    >>I do have the Eagles DTS DVD, and it is great. I would also like to retain
    >>the live concert. Live concerts are kind of nice, although not as polished
    >>as the studio version.
    >>

    > But the so called NBC/BRAVO concert was not live. It was an edited down,
    > changed,modified version of the 30 song Live in melbourn concert. It was
    > not
    > being showed as it happened in melbourn.

    Well, I feel kind of foolish, I actually thought 'live' meant live, as it is
    happening, real time, etc. I hope you're not going to tell me that my other
    favorite Tivo recording, the live grand finale of American Idol, was an
    edited down, changed, modified version...

    > That would appear to be a reasonable alternative, but raises a few
    question:

    Search for "hinsdale tivo faq" and read all about how to upgrade Tivo
    devices.

    > Will a second hard drive fit inside the case, or would I use an external?

    Inside only, externals are not supported. When a drive is added it's
    "Married" to the existing one. They're not separable. Thus you cannot use
    an external that could be removed. So which drive it's on becomes
    irrelevant. It's all the same "free space" as far at the Tivo is concerned.
    Adding a drive is pretty trivial, buy a bracket from someone like
    weaknees.com, a drive from whatever box store suits you, and then use a PC
    to twiddle some magic bits on the drives before stuffing them back into the
    Tivo. On average it takes about an hour to do it. Most of the time's spent
    on reading the instructions. It's easy if you're someone that's
    comformtable putting a replacement drive in a PC.

    > Could I mount the hard drive with my shows in my PC, either internally or
    > externally?

    No, the drive's not removable. It's possible to hack the OS on the Tivo to
    let you pull files off it via a USB network interface.

    > I look forward to the
    > introduction of HD DVD's. If I could warehouse these shows for 6 months to
    > year, I could archive them on HD DVD's, assuming they are stored in (or
    can
    > be converted to) a compatible format that I could eventually burn to a
    DVD.

    When you have a dual tuner DirecTivo it's not as likely you'll want to
    bother archiving. Most shows come up in rotation often enough that if
    you've got a pair of big drives you don't run out of space. Just setup a
    wishlist or season pass and record 'em to the hard drives and forget about
    archiving. YES, you can use the various network hacks to pull the programs
    off the drive but I'm finding it's really not worth all the trouble. YMMV,
    of course.

    -Bill Kearney

    >>>- Record using an HD VCR. But those are rare and *very* expensive.
    >>

    >> Not so expensive, you can get the older JVC for around $300-$400. BUT, all
    >> DVHS boxes require to get the data via Firewire. The HDTivo
    >> box doesn't have a firewire port.
    >
    > Good point, thanks.

    And no forseeable HDTivo is likely to, because the Firewire port can only
    carry compressed content, so to output the menus and other dynamic content
    (guide overlays and such) would require the box to have an HD encoder inside.
    Those aren't affordable today, and probably won't be for several years.

    Ken

    In article <i5udnX3CS7jJZV7fRVn-uQ@speakeasy.net>,
    "wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > That would appear to be a reasonable alternative, but raises a few
    > question:
    >
    > Search for "hinsdale tivo faq" and read all about how to upgrade Tivo
    > devices.
    >
    > > Will a second hard drive fit inside the case, or would I use an external?
    >
    > Inside only, externals are not supported. When a drive is added it's
    > "Married" to the existing one. They're not separable. Thus you cannot use
    > an external that could be removed. So which drive it's on becomes
    > irrelevant. It's all the same "free space" as far at the Tivo is concerned.
    > Adding a drive is pretty trivial, buy a bracket from someone like
    > weaknees.com, a drive from whatever box store suits you, and then use a PC
    > to twiddle some magic bits on the drives before stuffing them back into the
    > Tivo. On average it takes about an hour to do it. Most of the time's spent
    > on reading the instructions. It's easy if you're someone that's
    > comformtable putting a replacement drive in a PC.
    >
    > > Could I mount the hard drive with my shows in my PC, either internally or
    > > externally?
    >
    > No, the drive's not removable. It's possible to hack the OS on the Tivo to
    > let you pull files off it via a USB network interface.
    >
    > > I look forward to the
    > > introduction of HD DVD's. If I could warehouse these shows for 6 months to
    > > year, I could archive them on HD DVD's, assuming they are stored in (or
    > can
    > > be converted to) a compatible format that I could eventually burn to a
    > DVD.
    >
    > When you have a dual tuner DirecTivo it's not as likely you'll want to
    > bother archiving. Most shows come up in rotation often enough that if
    > you've got a pair of big drives you don't run out of space. Just setup a
    > wishlist or season pass and record 'em to the hard drives and forget about
    > archiving. YES, you can use the various network hacks to pull the programs
    > off the drive but I'm finding it's really not worth all the trouble. YMMV,
    > of course.
    >
    > -Bill Kearney

    http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php

    Instructions are much easier to follow for most people.

    In article <YdQwe.12292$Q05.7691@fe08.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    > > But the so called NBC/BRAVO concert was not live. It was an edited down,
    > > changed,modified version of the 30 song Live in melbourn concert. It was
    > > not
    > > being showed as it happened in melbourn.
    >
    > Well, I feel kind of foolish, I actually thought 'live' meant live, as it is
    > happening, real time, etc. I hope you're not going to tell me that my other
    > favorite Tivo recording, the live grand finale of American Idol, was an
    > edited down, changed, modified version...

    Apparently Bravo meant performed Live as opposed to in studio.

    wkearney99 seemed to utter in news:i5udnX3CS7jJZV7fRVn-uQ@speakeasy.net:

    >> Will a second hard drive fit inside the case, or would I use an
    >> external?
    >
    > Inside only, externals are not supported. When a drive is added it's
    > "Married" to the existing one. They're not separable. Thus you cannot
    > use an external that could be removed. So which drive it's on becomes
    > irrelevant. It's all the same "free space" as far at the Tivo is
    > concerned. Adding a drive is pretty trivial, buy a bracket from someone
    > like weaknees.com, a drive from whatever box store suits you, and then
    > use a PC to twiddle some magic bits on the drives before stuffing them
    > back into the Tivo. On average it takes about an hour to do it. Most
    > of the time's spent on reading the instructions. It's easy if you're
    > someone that's comformtable putting a replacement drive in a PC.

    I'm a computing professional and have built and upgraded many
    PCs. I have added additional hard drives to three TiVos -
    one SA and two DirecTiVos. I have never been able to add a
    drive in less than one hour. If you include pulling out your
    PC and pulling out its drives, opening up the TiVo, moving
    drives to the PC, testing the backup images, and retaining
    your existing recordings on the TiVo, it will easily take over
    two hours. I still think its the ideal way to add space to
    your TiVo, but let's not soft-sell it.

    -- TRW
    _______________________________________
    t r w 7
    at
    i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
    _______________________________________

    wkearney99 (wkearney99@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > When you have a dual tuner DirecTivo it's not as likely you'll want to
    > bother archiving. Most shows come up in rotation often enough that if
    > you've got a pair of big drives you don't run out of space.

    Since the OP is taking about the HD DirecTiVo, it's not hard to run out
    of space even with a pair of 300GB drives...that's only 72 hours of HDTV.
    It's a lot, sure, but it's nothing compared to the 200+ hours of SD that a
    single 250GB drive gives you.

    Also, the great thing about archiving HDTV recordings is that even the "HD
    lite" that DirecTV gives us is still amazing compared to any SD DirecTV
    channel.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Because he was human; because he had goodness;

    Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > And no forseeable HDTivo is likely to, because the Firewire port can only
    > carry compressed content, so to output the menus and other dynamic content
    > (guide overlays and such) would require the box to have an HD encoder inside.

    Well, you don't need a full encoder with MPEG-2. You can "splice" in an
    overlay to existing MPEG-2 content, so that would handle the guide. For
    anything that completely overwrites the screen, a very limited software
    encoder should work fine, since it always has "known" input (as opposed to
    live video).

    But, there really isn't a reason to even try and output the TiVo graphics
    on a port whose only purpose is to connect to another recorder. You don't
    really want the menus on that output.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >>And no forseeable HDTivo is likely to, because the Firewire port can only
    >>carry compressed content, so to output the menus and other dynamic content
    >>(guide overlays and such) would require the box to have an HD encoder inside.
    >

    > Well, you don't need a full encoder with MPEG-2. You can "splice" in an
    > overlay to existing MPEG-2 content, so that would handle the guide. For
    > anything that completely overwrites the screen, a very limited software
    > encoder should work fine, since it always has "known" input (as opposed to
    > live video).
    >
    > But, there really isn't a reason to even try and output the TiVo graphics
    > on a port whose only purpose is to connect to another recorder. You don't
    > really want the menus on that output.

    Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. Maybe a just a really simple
    encoder just to splice in a title screen. Ditch the menus, you don't
    really want those.

    Randy S.

    "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >happening, real time, etc. I hope you're not going to tell me that my other
    >favorite Tivo recording, the live grand finale of American Idol, was an
    >edited down, changed, modified version...

    Of course. All of those "reality shows" are about as real as pro
    wrestling matches.. (which are actually more "live" since they're
    performed in front of an audience.
    :-)

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

    Randy S. (rswitt@NOSPAM.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. Maybe a just a really simple
    > encoder just to splice in a title screen. Ditch the menus, you don't
    > really want those.

    Yeah, a JPEG encoder would work fine, since an MPEG-2 I-frame is nothing
    more than a JPEG. With a static display, you can use nothing but I-frames
    in the MPEG stream and it should work.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    GMAN wrote:

    > This is for the OP, why not just go buy the full Eagles concert DVD ? Its
    > much better quality than the cut up version they showed on network TV

    Yes, and the DVD won't have the piss-poor audio mixing.
    The network TV broadcast sounded like they were sending just the
    rear channels - the bass guitar and drum solos were drowned out
    by the horn section. Very unprofessional.
    -Joe

    > I'm a computing professional and have built and upgraded many
    > PCs. I have added additional hard drives to three TiVos -
    > one SA and two DirecTiVos. I have never been able to add a
    > drive in less than one hour. If you include pulling out your
    > PC and pulling out its drives, opening up the TiVo, moving
    > drives to the PC, testing the backup images, and retaining
    > your existing recordings on the TiVo, it will easily take over
    > two hours.

    I didn't pull my PC's drives. I simply detached the IDE cable from the
    motherboard and used another one to connect to the Tivo drives (on a
    bracket). I left the other motherboard IDE cable attached to the PC's
    CDROM. In which I booted one of the many Tivo upgrading CDs. I didn't have
    my PC's hard drive connected at all.

    I upgraded one such DVR39 in about 15 minutes. Crack the Tivo, pull it's
    drive, put it and a new drive on a weaknees bracket, crack the PC, run an
    IDE cable to the new drives, boot the CD, marry the drives, disconnect from
    the PC, put the short IDE cable on the drives, put the bracket back into the
    Tivo and close it up.

    Yes, it can take longer, heck anything in life can be made to take longer.
    I had other things to do and didn't feel the need to waste it on backing up
    or "testing" the images. Especially since getting fresh images off p2p is
    easy enough.

    > I still think its the ideal way to add space to
    > your TiVo, but let's not soft-sell it.

    Oh, it was certainly not my intention to make it seem any more or less
    complicated than any other simple PC upgrade.

Ptv Tivo Tivo HDTV HD