6.2 Tivo Upgrade Question

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I just upgraded a Hughes DirectTivo DVR40, using Hinsdale instructions
and MFS Tools 2.0, with a 200 GB HD. Tivo software version is 3.X so
only 137 GB is recognized.

Since the new upgrade software version 6.X, which recognizes the full
disk capacity, is now available, should I replace the 200 GB with the
original 40 GB HD? Then download the 6.X software version and upgrade
to 200 GB HD with something other than MFS Tools 2.0? Are will the
6.X upgrade recognize the 200 GB HD.

Thanks

BG
6 answers Last reply
More about tivo upgrade question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:01:12 -0500, U-571 wrote:

    > I just upgraded a Hughes DirectTivo DVR40, using Hinsdale instructions
    > and MFS Tools 2.0, with a 200 GB HD. Tivo software version is 3.X so
    > only 137 GB is recognized.
    >
    > Since the new upgrade software version 6.X, which recognizes the full
    > disk capacity, is now available, should I replace the 200 GB with the
    > original 40 GB HD? Then download the 6.X software version and upgrade
    > to 200 GB HD with something other than MFS Tools 2.0? Are will the
    > 6.X upgrade recognize the 200 GB HD.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you can live with wiping the 200GB drive and starting over,
    I'd mfs restore a 62small image on the 200GB drive and you're all
    set. You can get the 62small.mfs image from emule/edonkey.

    And yes.. 6.2 has LBA-48 support so it will handle a 200Gig
    drive.

    jack

    >
    > BG
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <pan.2005.06.29.02.12.03.324000@where.com>,
    Jack Snodgrass <no@where.com> wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:01:12 -0500, U-571 wrote:
    >
    > > I just upgraded a Hughes DirectTivo DVR40, using Hinsdale instructions
    > > and MFS Tools 2.0, with a 200 GB HD. Tivo software version is 3.X so
    > > only 137 GB is recognized.
    > >
    > > Since the new upgrade software version 6.X, which recognizes the full
    > > disk capacity, is now available, should I replace the 200 GB with the
    > > original 40 GB HD? Then download the 6.X software version and upgrade
    > > to 200 GB HD with something other than MFS Tools 2.0? Are will the
    > > 6.X upgrade recognize the 200 GB HD.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > If you can live with wiping the 200GB drive and starting over,
    > I'd mfs restore a 62small image on the 200GB drive and you're all
    > set. You can get the 62small.mfs image from emule/edonkey.
    >
    > And yes.. 6.2 has LBA-48 support so it will handle a 200Gig
    > drive.
    >
    > jack

    But mfs tools that Hinsdale uses doesnt recognize the large hard drive.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > But mfs tools that Hinsdale uses doesnt recognize the large hard drive.

    Sure it does, if the kernel that you boot from has LBA48 support.

    There are CDs like this that are freely available:

    http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/software/lba48/index.html
    http://www.weaknees.com/weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso

    --
    Jeff Rife | Coach: How's life, Norm?
    |
    | Norm: Not for the squeamish, Coach.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Thanks for the information.

    BG

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:59:22 -0400, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

    >Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> But mfs tools that Hinsdale uses doesnt recognize the large hard drive.
    >
    >Sure it does, if the kernel that you boot from has LBA48 support.
    >
    >There are CDs like this that are freely available:
    >
    > http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/software/lba48/index.html
    > http://www.weaknees.com/weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    (U-571@ship.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > Thanks for the information.

    I have just found out that--in some instances--booting with an LBA48
    kernel isn't enough. It's not known exactly how big a drive MFS tools
    can handle, but around 300GB seems to be the limit.

    You can use "BlessTiVo" (also on all the boot disks) to add a second
    drive that is larger than 300GB, but I'm not sure how to get a first (or
    single) drive larger than 300GB, although people semm to have done it.

    So, if a pair of 300GB drives isn't enough for you, you may have to do a
    bit more research.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I feel the need...the need for
    | expeditious velocity"
    |
    | -- Brain
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    200GB is the largest HD I have, so I'll try the LBA48 kernal you
    suggested.

    Since I just received the 6.2 Tivo software upgrade, can I just use
    one of the CD's you suggested and the DTivo Series 2 will recognize
    the 200 GB HD?

    Thanks,

    BG

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:39:18 -0400, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

    > (U-571@ship.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> Thanks for the information.
    >
    >I have just found out that--in some instances--booting with an LBA48
    >kernel isn't enough. It's not known exactly how big a drive MFS tools
    >can handle, but around 300GB seems to be the limit.
    >
    >You can use "BlessTiVo" (also on all the boot disks) to add a second
    >drive that is larger than 300GB, but I'm not sure how to get a first (or
    >single) drive larger than 300GB, although people semm to have done it.
    >
    >So, if a pair of 300GB drives isn't enough for you, you may have to do a
    >bit more research.
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Tivo Tivo HD Software