Tivo-friendly remote

Can anyone recommend a good home theatre remote that is very Tivo-friendly?
I have several remotes and would like to cut down. The most important
components are my Tivo and Denon AVR-5800 receiver. I also use an older Sony
61HS10 television. Thanks.
36 answers Last reply
More about tivo friendly remote

    Hey;
    How are ya? I bought my wife a Harmony remote. The one that we have is
    the 688
    <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=8747>
    but now they have a newer one.

    I don't like to push other people's products but this one is probably
    the best that I have seen.

    Any questions? Let me know.

    Zaphod

    In article <1118321367.884453.140170@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Zaphod Beeblebrox <zoraxus@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Hey;
    > How are ya? I bought my wife a Harmony remote. The one that we have is
    > the 688

    <URL snipped>

    > but now they have a newer one.
    >
    > I don't like to push other people's products but this one is probably
    > the best that I have seen.
    >
    > Any questions? Let me know.
    >
    > Zaphod

    Yeah, I have a question. How much are they paying you to shill for the
    remote?

    Nothing....I really liked it and I think it was worth the money...

    Wow...I guess there are people as cynical as I am ....

    Cheers

    I also recommend the Harmony. It is like TiVo - hard to explain the
    benefits, but once you have one, you will not give it back!

    Yes they do eat a set of batteries every 2 months or so, but that is a small
    price to pay!

    * Dr. Personality Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > In article
    > <1118321367.884453.140170@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Zaphod
    > Beeblebrox <zoraxus@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hey;
    >> How are ya? I bought my wife a Harmony remote. The one that we
    >> have is the 688
    >>
    > <URL snipped>
    >
    >> but now they have a newer one.
    >>
    >> I don't like to push other people's products but this one is
    >> probably the best that I have seen.
    >>
    >> Any questions? Let me know.
    >>

    > Yeah, I have a question. How much are they paying you to shill
    > for the remote?

    This remote is constantly being reccommended in here because of its
    compatibility with Tivo. That URL did not have a refer ID so I'd say it
    was a legit reco.

    --
    David

    In article <1118349671.556901.248450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    Zaphod Beeblebrox <zoraxus@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Nothing....I really liked it and I think it was worth the money...
    >
    > Wow...I guess there are people as cynical as I am ....
    >
    > Cheers

    I'm sorry about that, Z. I take you at your word that you were being
    sincere. (Thank you, too, Sinner.)

    I thought the 688 ate batteries like potato chips because of the
    backlighting?

    "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zoraxus@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey;
    > How are ya? I bought my wife a Harmony remote. The one that we have is
    > the 688
    > <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=8747>
    > but now they have a newer one.
    >
    > I don't like to push other people's products but this one is probably
    > the best that I have seen.

    I did a little checking and found that the 880 is expected shortly, possibly
    6/15/05 or a little later. It has a color LCD screen, which would by nice. I
    think I'm going to wait for the new model. Thanks for pointing me in the
    right direction.

    Dr. Personality (affable@no.com.invalid) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > I thought the 688 ate batteries like potato chips because of the
    > backlighting?

    I haven't changed batteries since I got my 688 set up around May 15.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I'm putting on a happy face...I'm taking the

    "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zoraxus@gmail.com> writes:

    > Hey;
    > How are ya? I bought my wife a Harmony remote. The one that we have is
    > the 688
    > <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=8747>
    > but now they have a newer one.

    The 688 is great. It controls my DirecTiVo, my Onkyo home theater
    receiver, my Sony CD player, my Panasonic DVD player, and my Toshiba
    VCR.

    --
    Dan Poirier -- Email: my last name at pobox dot com

    I also own the 688. It controls my series 1, series 2, my Go Video Dvd VCR
    turning everything on with one button including my TV. One of the best buys
    I have made.
    Rich

    "Rich & Lou" <RichJH@pacbell.net.net> wrote in message
    >I also own the 688. It controls my series 1, series 2, my Go Video Dvd VCR
    >turning everything on with one button including my TV. One of the best buys
    >I have made.

    A couple of CNet user reviewers complained about the placement of the
    buttons in terms of controlling Tivo. Since one of my principal
    considerations is Tivo use, do you think such comments are justified?

    "Rich & Lou" <RichJH@pacbell.net.net> wrote:

    >I also own the 688. It controls my series 1, series 2, my Go Video Dvd VCR
    >turning everything on with one button including my TV. One of the best buys
    >I have made.
    >Rich

    I didn't see a rocker button, or the symmetrical "play by feel"
    transport buttons the Tivo remote has, so I went looking for a user's
    manual. Unfortuntely, this statement squashed any thoughs of buying a
    Harmony remote:
    "All configuration of your Remote is done in conjunction with the
    installed software on your system AND being connected to the Harmony
    Remote member's web site."

    Sorry, Logitech, but I'm not about to "register" with yet another web
    site, just to configure your remote.

    The more alternates I see, the better Tivo's remote looks..

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

    "Doug Warner" <dwarner22@ccharter.net> wrote in message
    "Rich & Lou" <RichJH@pacbell.net.net> wrote:

    >I also own the 688. It controls my series 1, series 2, my Go Video Dvd VCR
    >turning everything on with one button including my TV. One of the best buys
    >I have made.
    >Rich
    >

    >.I didn't see a rocker button, or the symmetrical "play by feel"
    ..>transport buttons the Tivo remote has, so I went looking for a user's
    >manual. Unfortuntely, this statement squashed any thoughs of buying a
    Harmony remote:
    >"All configuration of your Remote is done in conjunction with the
    >installed software on your system AND being connected to the Harmony
    >Remote member's web site."

    >Sorry, Logitech, but I'm not about to "register" with yet another web
    >site, just to configure your remote.

    >The more alternates I see, the better Tivo's remote looks..

    I have no problem with the Tivo remote, expect that I cannot get it to work
    my Denon AVR-5800 receiver, and I am tired of having to us multiple remotes.
    That's why I am looking for a very Tivo-like remote that also can control
    lots of other components.

    "Doug Warner" <dwarner22@ccharter.net> wrote in message
    "Rich & Lou" <RichJH@pacbell.net.net> wrote:

    >I also own the 688. It controls my series 1, series 2, my Go Video Dvd VCR
    >turning everything on with one button including my TV. One of the best buys
    >I have made.
    >Rich
    >

    >I didn't see a rocker button, or the symmetrical "play by feel"
    >transport buttons the Tivo remote has, so I went looking for a user's
    >manual. Unfortuntely, this statement squashed any thoughs of buying a
    >Harmony remote:
    >"All configuration of your Remote is done in conjunction with the
    >installed software on your system AND being connected to the Harmony
    >Remote member's web site."

    >Sorry, Logitech, but I'm not about to "register" with yet another web>
    site, just to configure your remote.

    I the rocker button is absent, how would connecting to their Web site help?
    In other words, even if you had no objection to Web site based
    configuration, you still would not have the button functionality you want

    "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:q3qqe.23624$HP1.17446@fe08.lga...

    > "Rich & Lou" <RichJH@pacbell.net.net> wrote in message
    > >I also own the 688. It controls my series 1, series 2, my Go Video Dvd VCR
    > >turning everything on with one button including my TV. One of the best buys
    > >I have made.
    >
    > A couple of CNet user reviewers complained about the placement of the
    > buttons in terms of controlling Tivo. Since one of my principal
    > considerations is Tivo use, do you think such comments are justified?

    I don't think so. People complain about button placement on the TiVo peanut remotes.
    You will adapt to button locations for TiVo functions as you use the remote.

    > I didn't see a rocker button, or the symmetrical "play by feel"
    > transport buttons the Tivo remote has, so I went looking for a user's
    > manual. Unfortuntely, this statement squashed any thoughs of buying a
    > Harmony remote:
    > "All configuration of your Remote is done in conjunction with the
    > installed software on your system AND being connected to the Harmony
    > Remote member's web site."
    >
    > Sorry, Logitech, but I'm not about to "register" with yet another web
    > site, just to configure your remote.
    >
    > The more alternates I see, the better Tivo's remote looks..

    Well I think that's a bit harsh, though maybe it's because you're not
    understanding *why* you have to be connected to their site. The harmony
    remotes (and I don't even own one, so I'm not biased here) use a USB
    cable and data from the Web to allow you to choose components by brand
    and model rather than pressing numbers in obscure sequences. It would
    seem to be a much more intuitive method of configuration. I imagine it
    needs to connect to the web regularly to get updated component
    information as new equipment comes out.

    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >Well I think that's a bit harsh, though maybe it's because you're not
    >understanding *why* you have to be connected to their site. The harmony

    I understand why, and I can see web configuration being easier than
    doing it with local software. Plus, I don't have to eat up more of my
    diminishing HD space with a config program.
    My issue is with "Registering" This means have to create and rememver
    yet another website password, which I'm throuroughly sick of doing,
    and, possible other personal data.

    I'd be perfectly happy if it remembered my configuration upon return
    with a cookie, or saved my config locally.

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

    > I understand why, and I can see web configuration being easier than
    > doing it with local software. Plus, I don't have to eat up more of my
    > diminishing HD space with a config program.
    > My issue is with "Registering" This means have to create and rememver
    > yet another website password, which I'm throuroughly sick of doing,
    > and, possible other personal data.
    >
    > I'd be perfectly happy if it remembered my configuration upon return
    > with a cookie, or saved my config locally.

    Well, yes, that would be easier. Though most of these types of web
    accounts offer an easy way to recover a password. They're probably
    doing it to get demographic information, just feed 'em garbage like I
    do. I'm often a 60 yr old Hispanic making 160,000 a year with interests
    in extreme skiing and crocheting. ;-).

    Randy S.

    "Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I also recommend the Harmony. It is like TiVo - hard to explain the
    >benefits, but once you have one, you will not give it back!
    >
    > Yes they do eat a set of batteries every 2 months or so, but that is a
    > small price to pay!
    > "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone recommend a good home theatre remote that is very
    >> Tivo-friendly? I have several remotes and would like to cut down. The
    >> most important components are my Tivo and Denon AVR-5800 receiver. I also
    >> use an older Sony 61HS10 television. Thanks.

    One last question about the Harmony (probably the H880): will it turn on two
    components with one keypress? I always need to turn on my television and
    receiver together. If I am going to watch a DVD, I need to turn on three
    components at once. Can it do all that?

    On 06/14/2005 5:54 AM, Z Man pondered briefly and then wrote:

    > "Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I also recommend the Harmony. It is like TiVo - hard to explain the
    >>benefits, but once you have one, you will not give it back!
    >>
    >> Yes they do eat a set of batteries every 2 months or so, but that is a
    >> small price to pay!
    >> "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone recommend a good home theatre remote that is very
    >>> Tivo-friendly? I have several remotes and would like to cut down. The
    >>> most important components are my Tivo and Denon AVR-5800 receiver. I also
    >>> use an older Sony 61HS10 television. Thanks.
    >

    > One last question about the Harmony (probably the H880): will it turn on two
    > components with one keypress? I always need to turn on my television and
    > receiver together. If I am going to watch a DVD, I need to turn on three
    > components at once. Can it do all that?

    It'll turn on as many components as you need for each input mode (HD,
    DVD, Tivo, etc.) with one click of a button. I love mine.

    --
    Steve
    http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann

    > One last question about the Harmony (probably the H880): will it turn on two
    > components with one keypress? I always need to turn on my television and
    > receiver together. If I am going to watch a DVD, I need to turn on three
    > components at once. Can it do all that?

    I believe the Harmony remotes are some of the new "state" oriented
    remotes. IOW, each device button is supposed to represent a "state" of
    your Entertainment system for a given task. So, for instance, if you
    press "DVD", the following items need to be satisified to be in the
    correct "State" for watching a DVD:

    - AV receiver on.
    - DVD Player on.
    - TV on.
    - AV receiver input source set to DVD
    - AV receiver mode set to appropriate setting (Dolby Digital, THX, etc.)
    - TV input source set to "Component 1" (or other appropriate input)
    - DVD Player set to "Play"

    The remote will then do whatever tasks (which may involve several
    macros) to reach this state.

    It's easier to accomplish this with some components then others.
    Components whose settings rotate through several settings are tougher,
    because the remote doesn't know where it started. IOW, it's better to
    have seperate remote signals for "component", "composite", and "SVHS"
    input, rather than one signal that rotates through all three.

    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswitt@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

    >> One last question about the Harmony (probably the H880): will it turn on
    >> two components with one keypress? I always need to turn on my television
    >> and receiver together. If I am going to watch a DVD, I need to turn on
    >> three components at once. Can it do all that?
    >
    > I believe the Harmony remotes are some of the new "state" oriented
    > remotes. IOW, each device button is supposed to represent a "state" of
    > your Entertainment system for a given task. So, for instance, if you
    > press "DVD", the following items need to be satisified to be in the
    > correct "State" for watching a DVD:
    >
    > - AV receiver on.
    > - DVD Player on.
    > - TV on.
    > - AV receiver input source set to DVD
    > - AV receiver mode set to appropriate setting (Dolby Digital, THX, etc.)
    > - TV input source set to "Component 1" (or other appropriate input)
    > - DVD Player set to "Play"
    >
    > The remote will then do whatever tasks (which may involve several macros)
    > to reach this state.
    >
    > It's easier to accomplish this with some components then others.
    > Components whose settings rotate through several settings are tougher,
    > because the remote doesn't know where it started. IOW, it's better to
    > have seperate remote signals for "component", "composite", and "SVHS"
    > input, rather than one signal that rotates through all three.
    >
    > Randy S.

    That is right the remote knows the state of the various components and does
    what is necessary to get you from one state to another. So, for example, if
    you are watching TiVo and then want to listen to a CD, the harmony will
    change the inputs on the various components and power on and off devices as
    needed. If the device has discrete codes, then it will always be accurate,
    If it needs to scroll, it will nearly always be accurate, but once in a
    while it will get it wrong. Fortunately there is a help button that will fix
    most problems, or you can press the device button to get full control of a
    component.

    Many components have discrete codes, but the remote that came with the
    device may not know about them - this is often true when there is a more
    expensive model in product range, they may use a common circuit in the
    devices for remote operation, but ship a lower function remote with the
    cheaper models. In many cases the Harmony will use the discrete codes that
    you didn't even know existed. For example my DVD changer has 5 disks, the
    remote that came with the set lets me skip to the next disk, the Harmony
    lets me go directly to any disk, the remote has a toggle for on and off, the
    harmony uses the discrete codes. New TiVo remotes have buttons that the
    older models didn't have (like list), but in some cases the old TiVo's will
    correctly respond to the new commands, the harmony can have the new
    commands.

    The best thing is that programming the harmony is relatively easy - you
    don't need to program macros or understand most of how it works. The only
    programming you need to do is "tweaking", for example some models of the
    harmony don't have TiVo buttons link "clear", "Advance" and "Replay" so it
    is necessary to add these functions to the LCD display, you can do this very
    easily on the web interface.

    * Fred Bloggs wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    [...]

    > That is right the remote knows the state of the various components and does
    > what is necessary to get you from one state to another. So, for example, if
    > you are watching TiVo and then want to listen to a CD, the harmony will
    > change the inputs on the various components and power on and off devices as
    > needed. If the device has discrete codes, then it will always be accurate,
    > If it needs to scroll, it will nearly always be accurate, but once in a
    > while it will get it wrong. Fortunately there is a help button that will fix
    > most problems, or you can press the device button to get full control of a
    > component.

    This makes the whole entertainment center 'Wife Friendly', you sold me
    ;)

    > Many components have discrete codes, but the remote that came with the
    > device may not know about them - this is often true when there is a more
    > expensive model in product range, they may use a common circuit in the
    > devices for remote operation, but ship a lower function remote with the
    > cheaper models. In many cases the Harmony will use the discrete codes that
    > you didn't even know existed. For example my DVD changer has 5 disks, the
    > remote that came with the set lets me skip to the next disk, the Harmony
    > lets me go directly to any disk, the remote has a toggle for on and off, the
    > harmony uses the discrete codes. New TiVo remotes have buttons that the
    > older models didn't have (like list), but in some cases the old TiVo's will
    > correctly respond to the new commands, the harmony can have the new
    > commands.

    > The best thing is that programming the harmony is relatively easy - you
    > don't need to program macros or understand most of how it works. The only
    > programming you need to do is "tweaking", for example some models of the
    > harmony don't have TiVo buttons link "clear", "Advance" and "Replay" so it
    > is necessary to add these functions to the LCD display, you can do this very
    > easily on the web interface.

    Well, I was already planning on getting the new 880 when it comes out,
    but you've cemented my choice. Thanks.

    --
    David
    The sweeter the apple, the blacker the core --

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Fred Bloggs wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    > [...]
    >

    >>That is right the remote knows the state of the various components and does
    >>what is necessary to get you from one state to another. So, for example, if
    >>you are watching TiVo and then want to listen to a CD, the harmony will
    >>change the inputs on the various components and power on and off devices as
    >>needed. If the device has discrete codes, then it will always be accurate,
    >>If it needs to scroll, it will nearly always be accurate, but once in a
    >>while it will get it wrong. Fortunately there is a help button that will fix
    >>most problems, or you can press the device button to get full control of a
    >>component.
    >

    > This makes the whole entertainment center 'Wife Friendly', you sold me
    > ;)

    Unfortunately the *price* is not so wife friendly! But the harmony
    series of remotes are probably the best out there.

    Randy S.

    >> This makes the whole entertainment center 'Wife Friendly', you sold me
    >> ;)
    >

    > Unfortunately the *price* is not so wife friendly! But the harmony
    > series of remotes are probably the best out there.

    On second thought ;-), I've been putting serious thought into getting
    one of these myself. Those of you who have one, which model would work
    best with an HD TV set, SA Tivo and 5 disc DVD player all connected
    through an 7.1 A/V receiver? None of my components are off-brand (the
    TV's a Samsung, the receiver is a Yamaha, the DVD is a Panasonic?). I
    don't really need a full color screen like the 880 ;-).

    >>> This makes the whole entertainment center 'Wife Friendly', you sold me
    >>> ;)
    >>

    >> Unfortunately the *price* is not so wife friendly! But the harmony
    >> series of remotes are probably the best out there.
    >>

    > On second thought ;-), I've been putting serious thought into getting one
    > of these myself. Those of you who have one, which model would work best
    > with an HD TV set, SA Tivo and 5 disc DVD player all connected through an
    > 7.1 A/V receiver? None of my components are off-brand (the TV's a
    > Samsung, the receiver is a Yamaha, the DVD is a Panasonic?). I don't
    > really need a full color screen like the 880 ;-).

    I'm going to go for the 880, unless some features were removed when the
    color screen was added. Even though I could live without it, a color screen
    would be kind of nice. Interestingly, several people are selling this model
    on EBay, but some say it will be shipped when released (and they give dates
    varying from 6/15/05-6/22/05), while some vendors seem to have it in stock
    for immediately delivery.

    "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> This makes the whole entertainment center 'Wife Friendly', you sold me
    >>> ;)
    >>

    >> Unfortunately the *price* is not so wife friendly! But the harmony
    >> series of remotes are probably the best out there.
    >>

    > On second thought ;-), I've been putting serious thought into getting one
    > of these myself. Those of you who have one, which model would work best
    > with an HD TV set, SA Tivo and 5 disc DVD player all connected through an
    > 7.1 A/V receiver? None of my components are off-brand (the TV's a
    > Samsung, the receiver is a Yamaha, the DVD is a Panasonic?). I don't
    > really need a full color screen like the 880 ;-).

    Not sure what the normal street pricing on the 680 is, but Tigerdirect.com
    has it for $99 as a Father's Day special.

    Randy S. <rswitt@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    > I believe the Harmony remotes are some of the new "state" oriented
    > remotes. IOW, each device button is supposed to represent a "state" of

    Well, that's hardly "new". The JP1 guys hacked up software for various
    remotes (eg the All In One 8811) to do similar a couple of years back.
    With a cheap ($10) cable you can plug the (cheap) remote into your
    parallel port and reprogram the remote quite flexibly.

    > your Entertainment system for a given task. So, for instance, if you
    > press "DVD", the following items need to be satisified to be in the

    In my case I press "SET" to access this advanced feature; so SET then DVD
    would:
    1) turn on TV
    2) turn on receiver
    3) turn on DVD
    4) Change TV to channel 7
    5) change TV to L1
    6) change TV to L2 (unfortunately that's the quickest way of getting to L2)
    7) switch receiver to DVD input
    8) switch A/v switch box to DVD input

    Steps 1,2 can all be done with discrete code fortunately. Annoying the DVD
    doesn't have discrete on/off codes so there's a toggle code where the remote
    tries to remember if it last turned the DVD player on or off and only sends
    the POWER signal if needed. Sometimes the remote and the DVD player get
    out of sync.

    Similarly the SLEEP button has been programmed to turn off _everything_.
    Again (except for the DVD player) it all has discrete power off codes
    so it turns off TV, receiver, CD player, satellite box and (depending on
    the DVD toggle state) the DVD player.

    I programmed one of these for a friend with a S1 DirecTiVo and if I
    remember correctly it does have discrete on/off codes, but I could be
    wrong. However, my friend didn't like the feel of the remote; he claims
    the peanut remote is the "best ever" for navigation by touch, and so he
    sticks with that.

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org

    * Randy S. wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Fred Bloggs wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    >> [...]

    >>>That is right the remote knows the state of the various components and does
    >>>what is necessary to get you from one state to another. So, for example, if
    >>>you are watching TiVo and then want to listen to a CD, the harmony will
    >>>change the inputs on the various components and power on and off devices as
    >>>needed. If the device has discrete codes, then it will always be accurate,
    >>>If it needs to scroll, it will nearly always be accurate, but once in a
    >>>while it will get it wrong. Fortunately there is a help button that will fix
    >>>most problems, or you can press the device button to get full control of a
    >>>component.

    >> This makes the whole entertainment center 'Wife Friendly', you sold me
    >> ;)

    > Unfortunately the *price* is not so wife friendly!

    Hell, it's not so husband friendly either ;)

    --
    David
    Mr. Cole's Axiom:

    Stephen Harris wrote:
    > Randy S. <rswitt@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I believe the Harmony remotes are some of the new "state" oriented
    >>remotes. IOW, each device button is supposed to represent a "state" of
    >

    > Well, that's hardly "new". The JP1 guys hacked up software for various
    > remotes (eg the All In One 8811) to do similar a couple of years back.
    > With a cheap ($10) cable you can plug the (cheap) remote into your
    > parallel port and reprogram the remote quite flexibly.

    Well, "new*er*", is that better? And I would say the Harmony has the
    tremendous advantage of not having to create your own macros, you can
    get them already created from the web. For a technophile that may not
    be a big deal, but the average person doesn't want to mess with
    programming them.

    Randy S.

    Here is beginners guide to JP1
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help2/index.shtml.

    The remote and cable will cost about $50 (unless you do as the guide says
    and make your own cable). A Harmony will run you about $100 for the cheapest
    model on the web.

    I am sure that an all in one with JP1 can do everything the harmony can do
    and more, but it is more suited for someone who likes to tinker and is tech
    savvy. I would position it as competition for high end remotes like the
    Philips Pronto and the MX series remotes and for people with more complex
    that average set ups.

    To pass the "wife test" (or even better the elderly in laws test!) the
    remote should have certain properties:
    One button to perform major functions (watch tv, listen to music ......)
    No unlabeled buttons or buttons with labels like M1 that have no clear
    meaning
    Controls that as far as possible work consistently regardless of the
    input source - FF works for TiVo, DVD, VCR etc.
    One remote that does it all - no "other remotes" lying around for the
    odd function that the master remote cannot handle.

    I am sure that there a bunch of other considerations, but the real test is
    giving the remote to someone who has never seen it or your set up before to
    see how they cope.

    My parents visited a few weeks ago, they are not used to having to control
    the TV, the TiVo and an AV receiver just to watch the news! They have a TV
    and an antenna and the VCR plugs into the TV. It took them no time to get up
    to speed.

    * Z Man wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Unfortunately the *price* is not so wife friendly! But the harmony
    >>> series of remotes are probably the best out there.

    >> On second thought ;-), I've been putting serious thought into getting one
    >> of these myself. Those of you who have one, which model would work best
    >> with an HD TV set, SA Tivo and 5 disc DVD player all connected through an
    >> 7.1 A/V receiver? None of my components are off-brand (the TV's a
    >> Samsung, the receiver is a Yamaha, the DVD is a Panasonic?). I don't
    >> really need a full color screen like the 880 ;-).

    > I'm going to go for the 880, unless some features were removed when the
    > color screen was added. Even though I could live without it, a color screen
    > would be kind of nice. Interestingly, several people are selling this model
    > on EBay, but some say it will be shipped when released (and they give dates
    > varying from 6/15/05-6/22/05), while some vendors seem to have it in stock
    > for immediately delivery.

    Logitech's site says its available at BB which it isn't and if you try
    to order from their [logitech] site, it is out of stock. Many months
    ago I signed up at the site to be notified when the 880 was released. I
    still haven't got that email.

    --
    David
    10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.

    "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:qHyre.27$Lg4.15@fe12.lga...

    > "Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I also recommend the Harmony. It is like TiVo - hard to explain the
    >>benefits, but once you have one, you will not give it back!
    >>
    >> Yes they do eat a set of batteries every 2 months or so, but that is a
    >> small price to pay!
    >> "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone recommend a good home theatre remote that is very
    >>> Tivo-friendly? I have several remotes and would like to cut down. The
    >>> most important components are my Tivo and Denon AVR-5800 receiver. I
    >>> also use an older Sony 61HS10 television. Thanks.

    I received my Harmony 880 (purchased from Crutchfield) a couple of days ago.
    I think I'm going to like it, but it will take some getting used to. One
    quick question: when I press the OFF button at the very top of the remote,
    it correctly turns of my receiver and television. However, at the same time
    it places my Tivo in standby mode. Prior to getting the 880, I had never in
    life used Tivo's standby. I am not certain what standby mode does. Will Tivo
    record my shows when in standby mode? Can the 880 be told to NOT set Tivo to
    standby when I press the OFF button? If so, how?

    One related question: If my television is already on, initiating the
    sequence to watch Tivo will turn the TV off. It appears to be a toggle. Is
    there any way to tell the remote to not toggle the TV on/off if the
    television is already on?

    * Z Man wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > I received my Harmony 880 (purchased from Crutchfield) a couple of days ago.
    > I think I'm going to like it, but it will take some getting used to. One
    > quick question: when I press the OFF button at the very top of the remote,
    > it correctly turns of my receiver and television. However, at the same time
    > it places my Tivo in standby mode.

    Hmm, I want mine to do that but it wont. I assume you have a SA Tivo?

    > Prior to getting the 880, I had never in
    > life used Tivo's standby. I am not certain what standby mode does.

    On an SA Tivo it activates pass through, on a Dtivo it also kills the 30
    minute buffer.

    > Will Tivo
    > record my shows when in standby mode?

    Yes.

    > Can the 880 be told to NOT set Tivo to
    > standby when I press the OFF button? If so, how?

    It must be possible. Adjust the settings of that activity on the
    website.

    > One related question: If my television is already on, initiating the
    > sequence to watch Tivo will turn the TV off. It appears to be a toggle. Is
    > there any way to tell the remote to not toggle the TV on/off if the
    > television is already on?

    It should not be doing that. The harmony includes smartstate technology
    which is supposed to remember the state of all the components it controls
    and only turn it off if its not needed for the activity selected. The
    only time I have seen this fail is if you use another remote to change
    the state of a component and the harmony doest know about it.

    --
    David
    Q: What's yellow, and equivalent to the Axiom of Choice?

    "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
    >* Z Man wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >> I received my Harmony 880 (purchased from Crutchfield) a couple of days
    >> ago.
    >> I think I'm going to like it, but it will take some getting used to. One
    >> quick question: when I press the OFF button at the very top of the
    >> remote,
    >> it correctly turns of my receiver and television. However, at the same
    >> time
    >> it places my Tivo in standby mode.
    >
    > Hmm, I want mine to do that but it wont. I assume you have a SA Tivo?
    >
    >> Prior to getting the 880, I had never in
    >> life used Tivo's standby. I am not certain what standby mode does.
    >
    > On an SA Tivo it activates pass through, on a Dtivo it also kills the 30
    > minute buffer.
    >
    >> Will Tivo
    >> record my shows when in standby mode?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> Can the 880 be told to NOT set Tivo to
    >> standby when I press the OFF button? If so, how?
    >
    > It must be possible. Adjust the settings of that activity on the
    > website.
    >
    >> One related question: If my television is already on, initiating the
    >> sequence to watch Tivo will turn the TV off. It appears to be a toggle.
    >> Is
    >> there any way to tell the remote to not toggle the TV on/off if the
    >> television is already on?
    >
    > It should not be doing that. The harmony includes smartstate technology
    > which is supposed to remember the state of all the components it controls
    > and only turn it off if its not needed for the activity selected. The
    > only time I have seen this fail is if you use another remote to change
    > the state of a component and the harmony doest know about it.
    >

    > --
    > David
    > Q: What's yellow, and equivalent to the Axiom of Choice?
    > A: Zorn's Lemon.
    You can tell the Harmony not to power on/off a device on the web config
    screen - I use this setting for the TiVo and for my DVD player.

    If you are not turning the TV on without using the Harmony, could it be that
    you have more than TV device configured and watch TV and watch TiVo set to
    different operations, and that each operation thinks that it is controlling
    a different device?

    Also, play with the "device" menu to see if there is a discrete on/off code
    for your TV (press device then select the TV from the LCD menu) the LCD
    display will have lots of commands in the control set for your TV
    manufacturer. Some of these may work with your TV, even if the remote that
    came with the set didn't have button. Discrete on/off and direct access to
    inputs are often possible. If you find discrete codes you can edit the
    sequence for the Harmony to use the codes.

    "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
    >* Z Man wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >> I received my Harmony 880 (purchased from Crutchfield) a couple of days
    >> ago.
    >> I think I'm going to like it, but it will take some getting used to. One
    >> quick question: when I press the OFF button at the very top of the
    >> remote,
    >> it correctly turns of my receiver and television. However, at the same
    >> time
    >> it places my Tivo in standby mode.
    >
    > Hmm, I want mine to do that but it wont. I assume you have a SA Tivo?

    I have a DirecTV HD Tivo.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video Components