Would you buy another DirecTiVo now?

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

I currently have a DirecTiVo in my living room and a regular DTV receiver in
another room. My wife has been nudging me for her own DirecTiVo (which
would replace the other DTV receiver), but I keep hearing how DirecTv is
going to move to another DVR platform (eventually).

So the question is...

Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another DirecTiVo
right now??

--
Ray

Remove NO and SPAM to reply
10 answers Last reply
More about buy directivo
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    In article <NSnwe.14603$eM6.9126@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Ray
    <maisanoNO@SPAMmindspring.com> wrote:

    > I currently have a DirecTiVo in my living room and a regular DTV receiver in
    > another room. My wife has been nudging me for her own DirecTiVo (which
    > would replace the other DTV receiver), but I keep hearing how DirecTv is
    > going to move to another DVR platform (eventually).
    >
    > So the question is...
    >
    > Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another DirecTiVo
    > right now??

    Without hesitation. Giganews suggests you call DTV to try to get a
    deal, though, and he's right.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    In article <NSnwe.14603$eM6.9126@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "Ray" <maisanoNO@SPAMmindspring.com> wrote:

    > Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another
    > DirecTiVo right now??

    No, but only because I have only one TV set.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    "Ray" <maisanoNO@SPAMmindspring.com> wrote in message
    >I currently have a DirecTiVo in my living room and a regular DTV receiver
    >in
    > another room. My wife has been nudging me for her own DirecTiVo (which
    > would replace the other DTV receiver), but I keep hearing how DirecTv is
    > going to move to another DVR platform (eventually).
    >
    > So the question is...
    >
    > Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another
    > DirecTiVo
    > right now??

    The year part you have to decide if you can deal with. $100 for another
    DTiVo that makes the wife happy? Seems like an easy one to me. Hell, I'm
    spending $3000 on a vacation next week that the wife wants and I don't
    particularly care for.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Ray" <maisanoNO@SPAMmindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>I currently have a DirecTiVo in my living room and a regular DTV receiver
    >>in
    >> another room. My wife has been nudging me for her own DirecTiVo (which
    >> would replace the other DTV receiver), but I keep hearing how DirecTv is
    >> going to move to another DVR platform (eventually).
    >>
    >> So the question is...
    >>
    >> Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another
    >> DirecTiVo
    >> right now??

    Call DTV and tell them your local cable company wants you as a customer and
    i willing to set you up for free and ask if they have any "deals" available.
    I did this and was given a second DVR for free. I didn't even threaten to
    leave. At the very least, you should be able to get it for $49.00.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    In alt.video.ptv.tivo Ray <maisanoNO@spammindspring.com> wrote:
    > I currently have a DirecTiVo in my living room and a regular DTV receiver in
    > Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another DirecTiVo
    > right now??

    You already have a DTivo, and question its value?
    You can probably get a DTivo from DirecTV for $49, instead of $99.

    I have a DTivo, and a standard RCA in the bedroom that is starting to
    freeze occasionally. I know DTV will gladly send me a refurbished normal
    receiver for $25, maybe free. I think I'll try to get a DTivo.

    There is no such thing as a one year commitment, in the way it is discussed
    in this group. There is no financial loss if you cancel your DTV and send
    the equipment back.

    If you are worried about it being discontinued within a year, or even two,
    you would be wrong. It will work as long as the existing satellites are in
    place. It's not HD, so there's no conern about the HD satellites going up.
    If DTV discontinued support of the DTivo, they would likely drop all
    standard receivers at the same time. That won't happen any time soon.

    --
    ---
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    > If DTV discontinued support of the DTivo, they would likely drop all
    > standard receivers at the same time. That won't happen any time soon.

    And even if/when they did that hard drive in there is certainly worth the
    $49/$99 you might have paid for it.

    On 2005-06-29, Ray <maisanoNO@SPAMmindspring.com> wrote:
    > I currently have a DirecTiVo in my living room and a regular DTV receiver in
    > another room. My wife has been nudging me for her own DirecTiVo (which
    > would replace the other DTV receiver), but I keep hearing how DirecTv is
    > going to move to another DVR platform (eventually).
    >
    > So the question is...
    >
    > Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another DirecTiVo
    > right now??

    I would do it faster than it took you to post this to the newsgroups.

    --
    This is my .sig

    That as good a way to look at as any. As has been said $49 to keep
    your wife happy is pretty cheap. It's rare I ever get off that cheap.

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:21:41 -0400, "wkearney99"
    <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >And even if/when they did that hard drive in there is certainly worth the
    >$49/$99 you might have paid for it.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    "Ray" <maisanoNO@SPAMmindspring.com> wrote in message
    > I currently have a DirecTiVo in my living room and a regular DTV receiver
    in
    > another room. My wife has been nudging me for her own DirecTiVo (which
    > would replace the other DTV receiver), but I keep hearing how DirecTv is
    > going to move to another DVR platform (eventually).
    >
    > So the question is...
    >
    > Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another
    DirecTiVo
    > right now??
    >

    > --
    > Ray
    >
    > Remove NO and SPAM to reply

    If I were prepared to pull the trigger now, yes I would invest in another
    DirecTivo and the peace that it would give me with my wife. I would
    expect that the DirecTivo would be supported for the next few years at
    least.

    I probably won't be in a position to upgrade my standard stb and I would
    guess that by the time I was ready the DirecTV DVR would be out. I'll just
    have to see what to do then.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

    "Carl Keehn" <carlkeehn@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > "Ray" <maisanoNO@SPAMmindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> I currently have a DirecTiVo in my living room and a regular DTV receiver
    > in
    >> another room. My wife has been nudging me for her own DirecTiVo (which
    >> would replace the other DTV receiver), but I keep hearing how DirecTv is
    >> going to move to another DVR platform (eventually).
    >>
    >> So the question is...
    >>
    >> Would you invest $100 (and another 1 year commitment) for another
    > DirecTiVo
    >> right now??
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ray
    >>
    >> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

    Even if DTV come out with their own DVR, they will still support TiVo for
    several years afterwards, so I think that the risk is minimal. The new DVR
    is not yet out and if it is anything like Dish or the cable companies
    offerings, the first year or two with the new product will be very
    frustrating - with bugs and "its not TiVo" issues.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video