Why don't other PVR do what Replay does???

An interesting interview with former Replay CEO:

http://www.darknet.com/2005/05/interview_andy_.html

Ever wonder why Tivo, etc can't skip x minutes ahead, have lame or no
IVS, can't stream? I mean it would seem easy as pie, yet nobody does it
except Replay.

I've often posted that these consumers who are hellbent on digital so
they can run home to watch the Simpsons in HD are lining up to get their
throats cut. As soon as a significant percentage is digital, they are
going to get hammered with stuff like:

1) You can't record first run TV shows, only repeats.
2) Can't record movies or mini-series unless you pay for view.
3) Can't skip commercials. Even Tivo's lame FF won't be allowed.

Tivo is in bed with them and when it collapses the only conceivable
groups who will buy up the rights are all content providers.
32 answers Last reply
More about pvr replay

    "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > An interesting interview with former Replay CEO:
    >
    > http://www.darknet.com/2005/05/interview_andy_.html
    >
    > Ever wonder why Tivo, etc can't skip x minutes ahead, have lame or no IVS,
    > can't stream? I mean it would seem easy as pie, yet nobody does it except
    > Replay.

    1st SFW?

    2nd ...and yet many many more people have and prefer Tivo over ReplayTv.

    3rd
    Why can't replaytv record from the buffer?
    Why can't replaytv do anything at all when making it's daily call?
    Why can't replaytv allow you to cancel a single repeating replay channel
    recording without having to cancel all future recordings and deleting all
    previously recorded shows of that replay channel?
    It would seem easy as pie but nobody does it except Tivo.

    Neither RTV or Tivo offers everything that the other has.

    and one last thing - This guy is not a former Replay CEO

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 03:26:35 -0500, "Zardoz" <thewhiz@emrldcty.com>
    wrote:

    >"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> An interesting interview with former Replay CEO:
    >>
    >> http://www.darknet.com/2005/05/interview_andy_.html
    >>
    >> Ever wonder why Tivo, etc can't skip x minutes ahead, have lame or no IVS,
    >> can't stream? I mean it would seem easy as pie, yet nobody does it except
    >> Replay.
    >>
    >1st SFW?
    >
    >2nd ...and yet many many more people have and prefer Tivo over ReplayTv.

    While forgetting that the majority of people are of low intelligence
    and mental flexibility (or at least have learned to act that way), and
    mindlessly follow others. They fail to realize that what's popular has
    nothing to do with what's good.

    [snip]

    Gee, I can cancel a single recording for one night of a repeating chan
    if I so choose. 2 or 3 different ways

    As for recording the buffer... It can be done, however here is the
    problem... The buffer can be rather large. Up to either 10 or about 15
    hours (I forget which) on a 40 hour RTV. (That's the full disc) This can
    make for interesting problems

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:05:56 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Gee, I can cancel a single recording for one night of a repeating chan
    >if I so choose. 2 or 3 different ways

    If you want to recored something else then, just give the "something
    else" higher priority. I if was set manually, it will already have
    higher priority.

    >As for recording the buffer... It can be done, however here is the
    >problem... The buffer can be rather large. Up to either 10 or about 15
    >hours (I forget which) on a 40 hour RTV. (That's the full disc) This can
    > make for interesting problems

    The buffer is High Quality, limiting it's size to one-third of the
    normal Replay capacity (about 13:20 on a 40-hour Replay). You probably
    want to record only one show.

    The buffer can always be recorded on another device (such as a VCR or
    another Replay). That is, if you don't accidentally trigger a dump
    when trying to set that up.

    Some people claim to be able to do that woith only a single Replay,
    but the explanations have been incomplete and suspicious.

    >Zardoz wrote:
    >> "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>An interesting interview with former Replay CEO:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.darknet.com/2005/05/interview_andy_.html
    >>>
    >>>Ever wonder why Tivo, etc can't skip x minutes ahead, have lame or no IVS,
    >>>can't stream? I mean it would seem easy as pie, yet nobody does it except
    >>>Replay.
    >>>

    >> 1st SFW?
    >>
    >> 2nd ...and yet many many more people have and prefer Tivo over ReplayTv.
    >>
    >> 3rd
    >> Why can't replaytv record from the buffer?
    >> Why can't replaytv do anything at all when making it's daily call?
    >> Why can't replaytv allow you to cancel a single repeating replay channel
    >> recording without having to cancel all future recordings and deleting all
    >> previously recorded shows of that replay channel?
    >> It would seem easy as pie but nobody does it except Tivo.
    >>
    >> Neither RTV or Tivo offers everything that the other has.
    >>

    >> and one last thing - This guy is not a former Replay CEO

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    > 2nd ...and yet many many more people have and prefer Tivo over ReplayTv.

    Since as stated previously, 2/3 of Tivos are DirecTivos, you can
    subtract a few manys.

    > 3rd
    > Why can't replaytv record from the buffer?

    It can. Since you're a big time Replay owner, figure it out, or ask
    somebody in math class.

    > Why can't replaytv do anything at all when making it's daily call?

    What would you have it "do"? Since it dials in the middle of the night
    and won't interrupt a recording in progress, you might be watching. in
    which case it allows you to cancel and it tries later.

    > Why can't replaytv allow you to cancel a single repeating replay channel
    > recording without having to cancel all future recordings and deleting all
    > previously recorded shows of that replay channel?

    Incorrect (surprise). 1) You don't loose anything. and 2) The entire
    question is stupid because a "theme" channel is intended to record ALL
    instances of a show on ALL channels. If you don't what to do that, you
    don't create a Theme channel.

    > Neither RTV or Tivo offers everything that the other has.

    I would say Replay does 95% of Tivo features and Tivo has 65% of Replay
    features.

    Stop trying to justify buying Dad that Tivo for Father's Day, he won't
    know the difference.

    On 6/19/05 3:26 AM, in article
    1119169601.22fd19c0bef910d2acc6ef73dd4e7957@teranews, "Zardoz"
    <thewhiz@emrldcty.com> wrote:

    > "Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> An interesting interview with former Replay CEO:
    >>
    >> http://www.darknet.com/2005/05/interview_andy_.html
    >>
    >> Ever wonder why Tivo, etc can't skip x minutes ahead, have lame or no IVS,
    >> can't stream? I mean it would seem easy as pie, yet nobody does it except
    >> Replay.
    >>
    > 1st SFW?
    >
    > 2nd ...and yet many many more people have and prefer Tivo over ReplayTv.
    >
    > 3rd
    > Why can't replaytv record from the buffer?
    > Why can't replaytv do anything at all when making it's daily call?
    > Why can't replaytv allow you to cancel a single repeating replay channel
    > recording without having to cancel all future recordings and deleting all
    > previously recorded shows of that replay channel?
    > It would seem easy as pie but nobody does it except Tivo.

    4th
    Why can't you go away, you f--king TROLL?!?

    5th
    When does your school resume.
    Summer is too damn long for these kids to be out...

    "George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > 4th
    > Why can't you go away, you f--king TROLL?!?

    Because we keep responding to him. Trolls go away when they no longer get a
    "rise" out of their so-called audience.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    >> 2nd ...and yet many many more people have and prefer Tivo over ReplayTv.
    >>
    > Since as stated previously, 2/3 of Tivos are DirecTivos, you can subtract
    > a few manys.
    >
    >> 3rd
    >> Why can't replaytv record from the buffer?
    >
    > It can. Since you're a big time Replay owner, figure it out, or ask
    > somebody in math class.
    >
    >> Why can't replaytv do anything at all when making it's daily call?
    >
    > What would you have it "do"? Since it dials in the middle of the night and
    > won't interrupt a recording in progress, you might be watching. in which
    > case it allows you to cancel and it tries later.

    I record a lot of stuff between midnight and 5 a.m. So I either have to
    miss calls or miss recordings.
    That's not a problem with my Tivo.

    >> Why can't replaytv allow you to cancel a single repeating replay channel
    >> recording without having to cancel all future recordings and deleting all
    >> previously recorded shows of that replay channel?
    >
    > Incorrect (surprise). 1) You don't loose anything. and 2) The entire

    "loose"?

    > question is stupid because a "theme" channel is intended to record ALL
    > instances of a show on ALL channels.

    Unless anything else conflicts with it.

    > If you don't what to do that, you don't create a Theme channel.

    I didn't createa theme channel. I created a repeating record of a
    particular show at a particular time. An upcomming episode is one that I
    really don't care for at all and since my RTV is still very new and not
    upgraded with a larger HD yet, I tried to cancel the record of that episode
    to prevent another show from being automatically deleted any sooner than
    necessary. It CAN'T be done.

    >> Neither RTV or Tivo offers everything that the other has.
    >>
    > I would say Replay does 95% of Tivo features and Tivo has 65% of Replay
    > features.

    > Stop trying to justify buying Dad that Tivo for Father's Day, he won't
    > know the difference.

    He's had Tivo for 5 years now.

    "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Gee, I can cancel a single recording for one night of a repeating chan if
    > I so choose. 2 or 3 different ways

    not w/o recording something else in it's place.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > While forgetting that the majority of people are of low intelligence
    > and mental flexibility (or at least have learned to act that way), and
    > mindlessly follow others.

    Like those people who say how great RTV is because of streaming video and
    DVArchive while neglecting the fact that every single other aspect of the
    machine is inferior to it's biggest competitor's features?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:41:57 -0500, "Zardoz" <thewhiz@emrldcty.com>
    wrote:

    >> While forgetting that the majority of people are of low intelligence
    >> and mental flexibility (or at least have learned to act that way), and
    >> mindlessly follow others.
    >
    >Like those people who say how great RTV is because of streaming video and
    >DVArchive while neglecting the fact that every single other aspect of the
    >machine is inferior to it's biggest competitor's features?

    I'm running out of troll food...
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    George, that's a *good* thing. ;-)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "George" <gj@notta.email> wrote in message

    > I'm running out of troll food...

  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "JR" <racmsc@epix.net> wrote in message
    > RTV's limitations have been discussed here long before you
    > decided to grace this group with your presence.
    > It's not the information you present here that is objectionable,
    > It is your manner of presentation.
    > Since you have offered nothing of value to me I shall consign
    > you to my Bozo Bin with the other ill-mannered children.
    > Regards,
    > JR

    So I need to kiss your ass while stating facts and opinions about RTV.
    I don't think so.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Zardoz... I'm kind of tired of you coming here and dis-ing the RTV units
    over and over and over again...

    Long before I went shopping I put the feature and ability charts for
    both RTV and Tivo up next to each other... And to be honest it's been a
    while so I don't recall exactly what features (other than IVS, and I
    think I may have an IVS work-around for machines that don't have it)
    affected my decision.

    But Replay won, hands down

    So..... I'm very happy with my Replays... Even my wife is happy. I do
    not think I'd be nearly as happy with Tivo

    Zardoz wrote:
    >>While forgetting that the majority of people are of low intelligence
    >>and mental flexibility (or at least have learned to act that way), and
    >>mindlessly follow others.
    >

    > Like those people who say how great RTV is because of streaming video and
    > DVArchive while neglecting the fact that every single other aspect of the
    > machine is inferior to it's biggest competitor's features?

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    George Kerby wrote:
    > Why can't you go away, you f--king TROLL?!?

    Most news readers support KillFiles.

    I just told Zardoz off, polietly, and thus have yet to KF him.

    I give him perhaps 48 more hours.. If I'm feeling generous, to annoy me,
    and then it's KF time

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Yup, I'm with you, John. I did the same, got my first 5040 refurb from DNNA
    direct. I liked it so well, I snapped up a second one. Now I just picked
    up a 5504 refurb for $9.40 once I get my $50 rebate. This one is to be my
    "spare", so I activated it using the reduced rate $6.96/mo. Even though my
    intention was to have a spare (and to ultimately deactivate and store the
    unit), I wish they'd reduce the lifetime rate for us multi-RTV enthusiasts.
    If they'd knock even as little as $50 off, I'd probably by a third lifetime
    activation, to hell with my "spare" unit. My research showed that out of
    the box, the RTV was the more advanced DVR. But the RTV has turned out to
    be even better than I anticipated.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    > Zardoz... I'm kind of tired of you coming here and dis-ing the RTV units
    > over and over and over again...
    >
    > Long before I went shopping I put the feature and ability charts for both
    > RTV and Tivo up next to each other... And to be honest it's been a while
    > so I don't recall exactly what features (other than IVS, and I think I may
    > have an IVS work-around for machines that don't have it) affected my
    > decision.
    >
    > But Replay won, hands down
    >
    > So..... I'm very happy with my Replays... Even my wife is happy. I do not
    > think I'd be nearly as happy with Tivo
    >
    > Zardoz wrote:
    >>>While forgetting that the majority of people are of low intelligence
    >>>and mental flexibility (or at least have learned to act that way), and
    >>>mindlessly follow others.
    >>

    >> Like those people who say how great RTV is because of streaming video and
    >> DVArchive while neglecting the fact that every single other aspect of the
    >> machine is inferior to it's biggest competitor's features?
    >>

    > --
    > John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    > "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    > Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Unfortunately you'll still see his posts when others reply....

    Regards,

    Margaret

    > George Kerby wrote:
    >> Why can't you go away, you f--king TROLL?!?
    >
    > Most news readers support KillFiles.
    >
    > I just told Zardoz off, polietly, and thus have yet to KF him.
    >
    > I give him perhaps 48 more hours.. If I'm feeling generous, to annoy me,
    > and then it's KF time
    >
    > --
    > John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    > "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    > Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:09:23 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >Yup, I'm with you, John. I did the same, got my first 5040 refurb from DNNA
    >direct. I liked it so well, I snapped up a second one. Now I just picked
    >up a 5504 refurb for $9.40 once I get my $50 rebate. This one is to be my
    >"spare", so I activated it using the reduced rate $6.96/mo. Even though my
    >intention was to have a spare (and to ultimately deactivate and store the
    >unit), I wish they'd reduce the lifetime rate for us multi-RTV enthusiasts.
    >If they'd knock even as little as $50 off, I'd probably by a third lifetime
    >activation, to hell with my "spare" unit. My research showed that out of
    >the box, the RTV was the more advanced DVR. But the RTV has turned out to
    >be even better than I anticipated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Margaret

    I didn't know anything about DVArchive until I already had a 5xxx.

    I have used older Replays, but never got a 4xxx since I didn't have
    the requirred "always on" internet connection and was spending some
    time with Ultimate TV (more limited than Replay, DirecTV only, no
    network connection).

    >"John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Zardoz... I'm kind of tired of you coming here and dis-ing the RTV units
    >> over and over and over again...
    >>
    >> Long before I went shopping I put the feature and ability charts for both
    >> RTV and Tivo up next to each other... And to be honest it's been a while
    >> so I don't recall exactly what features (other than IVS, and I think I may
    >> have an IVS work-around for machines that don't have it) affected my
    >> decision.
    >>
    >> But Replay won, hands down
    >>
    >> So..... I'm very happy with my Replays... Even my wife is happy. I do not
    >> think I'd be nearly as happy with Tivo

    >>> Like those people who say how great RTV is because of streaming video and
    >>> DVArchive while neglecting the fact that every single other aspect of the
    >>> machine is inferior to it's biggest competitor's features?
    >>>

    >> --
    >> John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    >> "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    >> Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>If you don't what to do that, you don't create a Theme channel.
    >>

    > I didn't createa theme channel. I created a repeating record of a
    > particular show at a particular time. An upcomming episode is one that I
    > really don't care for at all and since my RTV is still very new and not
    > upgraded with a larger HD yet, I tried to cancel the record of that episode
    > to prevent another show from being automatically deleted any sooner than
    > necessary. It CAN'T be done.

    On a Replay channel just go under advanced options and uncheck the day
    of the recording.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    John in Detroit wrote:

    > Zardoz... I'm kind of tired of you coming here and dis-ing the RTV units
    > over and over and over again...
    >
    > Long before I went shopping I put the feature and ability charts for
    > both RTV and Tivo up next to each other... And to be honest it's been a
    > while so I don't recall exactly what features (other than IVS, and I
    > think I may have an IVS work-around for machines that don't have it)
    > affected my decision.
    >
    > But Replay won, hands down
    >
    > So..... I'm very happy with my Replays... Even my wife is happy. I do
    > not think I'd be nearly as happy with Tivo
    >
    > Zardoz wrote:
    >
    >>> While forgetting that the majority of people are of low intelligence
    >>> and mental flexibility (or at least have learned to act that way), and
    >>> mindlessly follow others.
    >>

    >> Like those people who say how great RTV is because of streaming video
    >> and DVArchive while neglecting the fact that every single other aspect
    >> of the machine is inferior to it's biggest competitor's features?

  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>>If you don't what to do that, you don't create a Theme channel.
    >>>

    >> I didn't createa theme channel. I created a repeating record of a
    >> particular show at a particular time. An upcomming episode is one that I
    >> really don't care for at all and since my RTV is still very new and not
    >> upgraded with a larger HD yet, I tried to cancel the record of that
    >> episode to prevent another show from being automatically deleted any
    >> sooner than necessary. It CAN'T be done.
    >
    > On a Replay channel just go under advanced options and uncheck the day of
    > the recording.

    Yet another work around because RTV can't do it.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:41:00 -0400, "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >>>If you don't what to do that, you don't create a Theme channel.
    >>>

    >> I didn't createa theme channel. I created a repeating record of a
    >> particular show at a particular time. An upcomming episode is one that I
    >> really don't care for at all and since my RTV is still very new and not
    >> upgraded with a larger HD yet, I tried to cancel the record of that episode
    >> to prevent another show from being automatically deleted any sooner than
    >> necessary. It CAN'T be done.
    >
    >On a Replay channel just go under advanced options and uncheck the day
    >of the recording.

    That cancels ALL recordings made omn that DAY OF THE week. It's a
    persistant setting and does not cancel ONLY one thing. Also, it DOES
    NOT apply to theme channels, which are much more useful in most cases.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    >>>I didn't createa theme channel. I created a repeating record of a
    >>>particular show at a particular time. An upcomming episode is one that I
    >>>really don't care for at all and since my RTV is still very new and not
    >>>upgraded with a larger HD yet, I tried to cancel the record of that episode
    >>>to prevent another show from being automatically deleted any sooner than
    >>>necessary. It CAN'T be done.
    >>
    >>On a Replay channel just go under advanced options and uncheck the day
    >>of the recording.
    >

    > That cancels ALL recordings made omn that DAY OF THE week. It's a
    > persistant setting and does not cancel ONLY one thing. Also, it DOES
    > NOT apply to theme channels, which are much more useful in most cases.

    Moron has stated it was not a theme channel and he wanted to temporarily
    cancel a recording.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:54:21 -0400, "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:

    >>>On a Replay channel just go under advanced options and uncheck the day
    >>>of the recording.
    >>

    >> That cancels ALL recordings made omn that DAY OF THE week. It's a
    >> persistant setting and does not cancel ONLY one thing. Also, it DOES
    >> NOT apply to theme channels, which are much more useful in most cases.
    >>

    >Moron has stated it was not a theme channel and he wanted to temporarily
    >cancel a recording.

    And you failed to notice most of what I posted. Notice that some of it
    was about repeated show-based channels.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:09:23 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    > <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Yup, I'm with you, John. I did the same, got my first 5040 refurb from DNNA
    >>direct. I liked it so well, I snapped up a second one.

    In my case it is one 5040 (upgraded) and two 5504's.

    I should add that back when I did my research, and decidedn on REPLAY
    over TIVO, DVArchive was not something I was aware of, so it in no way
    affected the decision... I found out about DVA AFTER I bought the first
    unit, and that, was, of course, icing on top of a very nice cake

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  26. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Same here. I had no idea DVArchive or other things like RVTools, etc. even
    existed. A very pleasant surprise, indeed.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    > Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:09:23 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    >> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yup, I'm with you, John. I did the same, got my first 5040 refurb from
    >>>DNNA direct. I liked it so well, I snapped up a second one.
    >
    > In my case it is one 5040 (upgraded) and two 5504's.
    >
    > I should add that back when I did my research, and decidedn on REPLAY over
    > TIVO, DVArchive was not something I was aware of, so it in no way affected
    > the decision... I found out about DVA AFTER I bought the first unit, and
    > that, was, of course, icing on top of a very nice cake
    >

    > --
    > John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    > "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    > Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  27. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Margaret Wilson wrote:
    > Unfortunately you'll still see his posts when others reply....

    depends, I can Kill any message with the word "Zardoz" in it, this one
    inlcuded

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  28. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Did you notice that he's now also posting as Zardozz, having added second
    "z" on the end. Better add that one too. :-)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    > Margaret Wilson wrote:
    >> Unfortunately you'll still see his posts when others reply....
    >
    > depends, I can Kill any message with the word "Zardoz" in it, this one
    > inlcuded
    >
    > --
    > John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    > "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    > Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  29. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>> That cancels ALL recordings made omn that DAY OF THE week. It's a
    >>> persistant setting and does not cancel ONLY one thing. Also, it DOES
    >>> NOT apply to theme channels, which are much more useful in most cases.

    >>Moron has stated it was not a theme channel and he wanted to temporarily
    >>cancel a recording.

    No, I want to cancel a single recording. There's nothing temporay about it.

    > And you failed to notice most of what I posted. Notice that some of it
    > was about repeated show-based channels.

    and you are failing to remember that RTV's repeated show-based channel
    recordings are limited to recording one show per day at a specifc time (+ -
    one time slot) on a specific channel. If I wanted to record "Charmed" on
    TNT at 8am and 5pm M-F I'd have to set up two channels if I didn't want to
    go the theme route. Or is this information wrong?
  30. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > and you are failing to remember that RTV's repeated show-based channel
    > recordings are limited to recording one show per day at a specifc time (+ -
    > one time slot) on a specific channel. If I wanted to record "Charmed" on
    > TNT at 8am and 5pm M-F I'd have to set up two channels if I didn't want to
    > go the theme route. Or is this information wrong?

    That's correct.

    As noted, you could also make a theme channel, but that might record
    some channels/time you explicitly never want. Priorities doesn't do
    exactly what you want there.

    So there is a chance of this: if theme X has an episode that I don't
    care to see, but it's priority is higher than Y, then I can't cancel
    that specific X show and have Y fall into place.

    I agree it would be nice to have a time-ordered (todo) list of all the
    things it's going to record. You could then kill off a single episode.
    By doing so, it would free up that slot for the next available theme.
    Kill the negatives, so to speak. It's basically a nice UI for
    prioritized conflict resolutions of episodes, without changing the basic
    subscriptions. This maximizes the chance you are recording only you
    want to see.

    For me, it just doesn't matter; I don't care to babysit it that much.
    If there's a show I really do want to see, I just press the red dot in
    the channel guide. That overrides everything, and will inform you of a
    conflict with other timed shows.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Al Swearengen" <al_swear@gemsaloon.com> wrote in message
    > back in the 80s with BBS's we used to have similar rants on what was
    > better, Atari or Commodore.
    > Nice to see nothing has changed in 20+ years.

    I used to be pretty handy with the Atari BASIC, back in the day. And when I
    traded in my cassette drive for a floppy, baby, that was smokin'.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    What was better? Commodore of course, Even Captain Kirk had a 64 it was
    so futureristic :-)

    (Someone recently posted that in watching one of the ST movies on DVD
    with a bunch of Extras, he found the computer on Kirk's desk was a C-64)

    pjs wrote:
    > "Al Swearengen" <al_swear@gemsaloon.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>back in the 80s with BBS's we used to have similar rants on what was
    >>better, Atari or Commodore.
    >>Nice to see nothing has changed in 20+ years.
    >

    > I used to be pretty handy with the Atari BASIC, back in the day. And when I
    > traded in my cassette drive for a floppy, baby, that was smokin'.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

Ptv Replaytv Tivo