Updated Floppy Disks?

Should there be an updated floppy disk that can hold more data?

• Total voters

Ethan Feinhaus

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
While I understand that the floppy disks became defunct as a result of a lack of storage space, why hasn't it been updated? I mean, it's magnetic tape that spins. We can add some more magnetic bits, couldn't we?

I come from it from this point of view:
Yes, the information gets ruined if it's next to a powerful magnet, but WHO keeps a magnet on their desk?
CD's and other optical storage mediums are newer and more high-tech, but they're much more fragile. A scratch can ruin everything, and it shatters, unlike a floppy disk, if you accidentally drop it.
Not to mention, if anything goes wrong while you're writing information onto the DVD or CD or Blu-ray disk, you will never access any information on it again! You're using a computer, then it freezes while writing something to disk. Oops! all that's gone, go get a new one! You're writing information and there's a power outage? Sucks for you, you've lost all that information! Crash? dead. Scratch? Same.

Does anybody agree with me?

The floppy disk DID get updated. It's called a Zip Disk which got up to 750 MB which is more than a CD in less space. Just with the price of hard drives, portable hard drives, and DVD's which do either 4.7 or 8.5 GB at a fraction of the price of what a Zip Drive cost it just became obsolete.