[SOLVED] Can't install os onto MacBook, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Issacbishopman

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
I have a older MacBook Pro. And it currently has no os, as my friend tried to install windows and got it stuck there, so I formated the hd and now when I try to install snow leopard by starting the mac and holding the option key, it only comes up with a lock on the screen asking for a password. I can't load it from holding c either, help

Solution
It's a firmware password that prevents an unauthorized user from doing anything with the system. It's independent of any OS. Obviously it wouldn't do the job very well if you could bypass it just by reinstalling the OS.

No worries, though. I'm sure the guys at the Apple Store will be able to reset it for you.
The owner of the MacBook has set a firmware password on it as an anti-theft measure. We can't provide help with bypassing security measures.

If you set this password and forgot it, then take it to an Apple Store, with proof of ownership. They will check that it has not been reported as stolen and should then be able to unlock it for you.

It's a firmware password that prevents an unauthorized user from doing anything with the system. It's independent of any OS. Obviously it wouldn't do the job very well if you could bypass it just by reinstalling the OS.

No worries, though. I'm sure the guys at the Apple Store will be able to reset it for you.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.