Newbee Questions.

Hi,
I got a free c/ku 10 foot dish with a toshiba trx-2000
I was thinking of going to 4dtv but I may be tree-ed in.
I am surrounded by tall trees, and have about 60 degrees oven sky above and
some to the south.

As I understand it, you have to see G1 first to get programming, but I may
have a tree in the way.

I was using http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm
with G1 at -133
and my lat/long is 30.34 and -97.74

Calculator says 234 degrees and 38 degrees elevation

What is the best way to make a pointer to see if tree is in the way, compass
and protractor?
Would tree have to be completly out of the way?
Can I visually track a planet for a while and get an Idea?

The receiver vidio output is squirly, has some bits stuck or something, but
the menu seems to work and about 1/2 of the letters are right.

Thanks in advance for any advice
GGGTTTTTTTT
1 answer Last reply
More about newbee questions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    You don't have to have no trees,but it helps!I have trees,a house,a school
    and hill (some distance away) and I still get G1!

    If you get a compass with a degrees ring,you can line up the pointer for
    north,use the ring to find G1,then use your arm to approxiamte the
    direction.Works for me.

    You need G1-03 for hits and the IPG,as well as channel maps(although I have
    read you can dowload them from other sats ie: G0)...

    btw: If the tree in the way is on YOUR property,chop it down! LOL

    "Kac Demetrie" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I got a free c/ku 10 foot dish with a toshiba trx-2000
    > I was thinking of going to 4dtv but I may be tree-ed in.
    > I am surrounded by tall trees, and have about 60 degrees oven sky above
    > and
    > some to the south.
    >

    > As I understand it, you have to see G1 first to get programming, but I may
    > have a tree in the way.
    >
    > I was using http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm
    > with G1 at -133
    > and my lat/long is 30.34 and -97.74
    >
    > Calculator says 234 degrees and 38 degrees elevation
    >
    > What is the best way to make a pointer to see if tree is in the way,
    > compass
    > and protractor?
    > Would tree have to be completly out of the way?
    > Can I visually track a planet for a while and get an Idea?
    >
    > The receiver vidio output is squirly, has some bits stuck or something,
    > but
    > the menu seems to work and about 1/2 of the letters are right.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice
    > GGGTTTTTTTT

4DTV Satellite