Moving to London (UK), need suggestion for computer store/shop (to buy monitor, PC Case, Gaming mice/Keyboard)

guntapon_mahanonda

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Hi,
I'm moving from Melbourne to London to study a masters degree for 1-2 years. I'm bringing all my pc components (that i just recently bought) with me except for the PC Case and Monitor. (I'm not bringing the case and monitor because the airline that I'm using has pretty low weight limit).

Anyway, my question is that can anyone suggest a good computer shop that are located in London central area? I want a shop that I can actually go in and test the product's quality before purchasing (so that If there's ever any problem with the products, I can just go and talk to them at the shop rather than posting it).

From my research, I found PC World and Currys, Maplin shops.

I will be living very close to Hammersmith Station (so the closer the shop is the better, but really in London is all okay)
I want to buy:
1. PC Monitor: 23-24Inch IPS screen around 110-180GBP
2. PC Case (any large one that would fit Geforce GTX780 and not too expensive, because I'll probably sell it when I move out of London in 1-2 years)
3. Gaming mice and Keyboard

Also, just an additional question, is Yoyotech still running? Are they any good?Because most of the reviews I've seen so far on the internet is mostly negative (but they're from before 2013 reviews)

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this. Any help would be much appreciate :D

Cheers!

Raihan Ahmed

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
don't bother with those retailers they are expensive and rip off.
try :
ebuyer.com
amazon.co.uk
scan.co.uk
ariapc.co.uk
cclonline.co.uk

Mostly there are never issue with products when you buy from these sources, so you wont even need to send it back.

guntapon_mahanonda

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

Thanks for your reply.
Are the products from these online shops first hand?
If I was to go use one of the online shops from your list, which one would you recommend?

Mattib 050

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
All of the stuff you get online from the retailers Raihan listed will be the same as the stuff you can get in maplins, etc.
Unless they say something is used it'll be new.

I personally use amazon, mainly because I trust them a lot more than smaller companies and they have really good customer support.
If you order from amazon though, try to find items that are actually sold by amazon, not other retailers using the amazon website. Some retailers can be ok but if you use them then amazon won't offer any customer support if you need a refund/replacement or something like that.

Most other retailers will probably charge you a hefty fee for shipping for large items like your case. Amazon shipping is normally free.

guntapon_mahanonda

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

Thank you so much for your post! :D
I will definitely go with Amazon now I think (but i've never used it before :(
Anyway, how do I know if an item is actually sold by Amazon or not?
for example, this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LDNTOG/ref=s9_bbs_bw_d0_g147_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1P941MVN7D982J14C8CD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=228922307&pf_rd_i=428655031

is not sold by amazon right? Is it kind of hard to find a pc case or monitor that is sold by Amazon??

Mattib 050

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
That case is sold by amazon. If you look under where it says 'in stock' it says it's dispatched and sold by amazon.
If you're searching for a specific item then you can filter the results by the seller, amazon is normally on the list.

Sometimes it won't show up as being sold as amazon but if you select "x new", in this case 29 new under more buying choices in the top right, it'll show all the sellers. Sometimes amazon sells the item but it's just out of stock.

guntapon_mahanonda

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

Thanks a lot for this!:D

It either says it is dispatched or fulfilled by Amazon.