4-pin to 6-Pin Molex Adapter

Coetzee4Jaco

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
I recently bought a GTX 770 to use as my main GFX Card and I am using my old GTX 650 Ti as a dedicated PhysX Card (for playing Borderlands 2 etc)...

My PSU only came with two 6+2-pin Molex cables (which are both powering my 770)... So I bought a 4-pin to 6-pin molex adapter to power the 650 Ti, but the adapter only has 5 pins... The middle BLACK cable is missing...

The 650 Ti has a Red and Green LED to indicate whether the 6-pin is connected or not... This LED stays RED (indicating a fault), but the card powers up and runs fine (connected it to my display and ran benchmarks)...

If I am not mistaken, the yellow cables are 12V+ and the black cables are ground... I was just wondering if the missing cable is significant? Could running the card without the 6th cable (RED LED on) possibly damage the GFX Card..?

Yes, you can potentially damage the card, or simply have it take down the PC recoverably by failing to run. The six-pin cables should supply 75 watts. A 4-pin Molex power port was for IDE hard drives and provides 22 amps (quick search, I may be wrong). There are lots of adapters out there that work physically but are totally out of spec - you should see my rants on SATA to eSATA cables and brackets.