Jeri's talk at Stanford University (fwd)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:21:07 -0000
From: mark_griswold <mark_griswold(at-no-spam)yahoo.com>
Subject: [C-1] Jeri's talk at Stanford University

In case anyone missed it, here's the link to see
Jeri [Ellsworth]'s talk at Stanford University.

http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx

Interesting stuff!
20 answers Last reply
More about jeri talk stanford university fwd
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Quite interesting.

    It be good to see more.


    "Robert Bernardo" <rbernardo@iglou.com> wrote in message
    news:Pine.GSO.4.61.0505192229140.2827@shell1...
    > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    > Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:21:07 -0000
    > From: mark_griswold <mark_griswold(at-no-spam)yahoo.com>
    > Subject: [C-1] Jeri's talk at Stanford University
    >
    > In case anyone missed it, here's the link to see
    > Jeri [Ellsworth]'s talk at Stanford University.
    >
    > http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx
    >
    > Interesting stuff!
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005, Rick Balkins wrote:

    > Quite interesting.
    >
    > It be [would] good to see more.

    My camcorder footage of the same talk is much nearer to Jeri, has
    a sharper image, and includes scenes before and after the official talk.
    I'd like to thank FCUG member, Mitch Zollinger, and girlfriend,
    Xinghua, for meeting me for lunch at the Amarin Thai Restaurant and then
    leading me to the Stanford campus and pointing me to the auditorium.
    Without them, I would have been very lost in that part of the Bay Area.
    (Well, I did get lost when trying to find the Kabul Afghan Restaurant,
    which was where everybody met for dinner after the talk. Mitch and Xingy
    were not around to help me afterwards. However, I did finally find the
    restaurant.)

    Truly,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group
    http://videocam.net.au/fcug
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Is there a transcript somewhere that I can scan instead of listening to over
    an hour of this.

    Dane.

    "Robert Bernardo" <rbernardo@iglou.com> wrote in message
    news:Pine.GSO.4.61.0505192229140.2827@shell1...
    > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    > Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:21:07 -0000
    > From: mark_griswold <mark_griswold(at-no-spam)yahoo.com>
    > Subject: [C-1] Jeri's talk at Stanford University
    >
    > In case anyone missed it, here's the link to see
    > Jeri [Ellsworth]'s talk at Stanford University.
    >
    > http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx
    >
    > Interesting stuff!
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Robert Bernardo wrote:

    >
    > In case anyone missed it, here's the link to see
    > Jeri [Ellsworth]'s talk at Stanford University.
    >
    > http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx

    Could you please give a link to a usable file rather than this above?

    I already extracted the following:

    http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv
    http://171.64.115.101/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
    http://171.64.115.101:80/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf

    in addition to the one you gave but none of them give me anything useful.

    >
    > Interesting stuff!

    I would love to see it..
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Robert Bernardo wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005, Rick Balkins wrote:
    >
    >> Quite interesting.
    >>
    >> It be [would] good to see more.
    >
    >
    > My camcorder footage of the same talk is much nearer to Jeri, has a
    > sharper image, and includes scenes before and after the official talk.

    Will it be possible to get that from you somehow in a crossplatform
    format via BT for example?
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    This is really interesting.. but I have to go to bed and it is taking a
    while.. so I am downloading it as described in some other posts here.. I'll
    probably turn it into a VideoCD... Then I can watch it on my TV. Too bad
    the quality is so low. I don't suppose anybody has a high-res version of
    this somewhere?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "silverdr" <silverdr@inet.remove.it.pl> wrote in message
    news:428dac23$1@news.inet.com.pl...
    > Robert Bernardo wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > In case anyone missed it, here's the link to see
    > > Jeri [Ellsworth]'s talk at Stanford University.
    > >
    > > http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx
    >
    > Could you please give a link to a usable file rather than this above?

    Media player opens the link and plays the video but...

    > I already extracted the following:
    >
    > http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv
    > http://171.64.115.101/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
    > http://171.64.115.101:80/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
    >
    > in addition to the one you gave but none of them give me anything useful.

    Yep, none of those will allow the downloading of the file itself. Seems the
    server only accepts uploads requested from certain applications. I guess
    they don't want the video downloaded.

    > >
    > > Interesting stuff!
    >
    > I would love to see it..

    If Robert makes his video available, or someone else can figure out a way to
    download the file...

    Regards,

    Clockmeister.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    In comp.sys.cbm Clockmeister <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > Media player opens the link and plays the video but...
    [...]
    > Yep, none of those will allow the downloading of the file itself. Seems the
    > server only accepts uploads requested from certain applications. I guess
    > they don't want the video downloaded.

    There are programs that can work around that sort of thing. "SDP
    Downloader" or "Streambox VCR" comes to mind.

    The former can be found here:

    http://sdp.ppona.com


    Regards,

    Laust
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    >>>>> "s" == silverdr <silverdr@inet.remove.it.pl> writes:

    s> Could you please give a link to a usable file rather than this above?

    s> I already extracted the following:

    s> http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv
    s> http://171.64.115.101/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
    s> http://171.64.115.101:80/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf

    s> in addition to the one you gave but none of them give me anything useful.

    Try mplayer -dumpstream.

    --
    ___ . . . . . + . . o
    _|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
    o-o . . . o + MagerValp@cling.gu.se
    - + + . http://www.cling.gu.se/~cl3polof/
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "Laust Brock-Nannestad" <laustbn@diku.dk.invalid> wrote in message
    news:d6lujk$mej$1@news.net.uni-c.dk...
    > In comp.sys.cbm Clockmeister <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Media player opens the link and plays the video but...
    > [...]
    > > Yep, none of those will allow the downloading of the file itself. Seems
    the
    > > server only accepts uploads requested from certain applications. I guess
    > > they don't want the video downloaded.
    >
    > There are programs that can work around that sort of thing. "SDP
    > Downloader" or "Streambox VCR" comes to mind.
    >
    > The former can be found here:
    >
    > http://sdp.ppona.com
    >

    Thank you Laust, that worked great.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Hello

    Where do you want it upload to

    Bushflat

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 07:03:48 +0800, "Clockmeister"
    <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >
    >"silverdr" <silverdr@inet.remove.it.pl> wrote in message
    >news:428dac23$1@news.inet.com.pl...
    >> Robert Bernardo wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> > In case anyone missed it, here's the link to see
    >> > Jeri [Ellsworth]'s talk at Stanford University.
    >> >
    >> > http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx
    >>
    >> Could you please give a link to a usable file rather than this above?
    >
    >Media player opens the link and plays the video but...
    >
    >> I already extracted the following:
    >>
    >> http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv
    >> http://171.64.115.101/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
    >> http://171.64.115.101:80/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
    >>
    >> in addition to the one you gave but none of them give me anything useful.
    >
    >Yep, none of those will allow the downloading of the file itself. Seems the
    >server only accepts uploads requested from certain applications. I guess
    >they don't want the video downloaded.
    >
    >> >
    >> > Interesting stuff!
    >>
    >> I would love to see it..
    >
    >If Robert makes his video available, or someone else can figure out a way to
    >download the file...
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Clockmeister.
    >
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    MagerValp wrote:
    >>>>>>"s" == silverdr <silverdr@inet.remove.it.pl> writes:
    >
    >
    > s> Could you please give a link to a usable file rather than this above?
    >
    > s> I already extracted the following:
    >
    > s> http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv
    > s> http://171.64.115.101/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
    > s> http://171.64.115.101:80/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
    >
    > s> in addition to the one you gave but none of them give me anything useful.
    >
    > Try mplayer -dumpstream.
    >

    Already tried.

    shanghai:~$ mplayer
    'http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx'
    MPlayer dev-CVS-041212-12:40-3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
    AltiVec found
    CPU: PowerPC

    Playing
    http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx.
    Resolving stanford-online.stanford.edu for AF_INET6...
    Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: stanford-online.stanford.edu
    Resolving stanford-online.stanford.edu for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server stanford-online.stanford.edu[171.64.115.119]:80 ...
    Resolving stanford-online.stanford.edu for AF_INET6...
    Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: stanford-online.stanford.edu
    Resolving stanford-online.stanford.edu for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server stanford-online.stanford.edu[171.64.115.119]:80 ...
    size_confirm mismatch!: 8262 27695
    Error while parsing chunk header
    Trying default streaming for http protocol
    Resolving stanford-online.stanford.edu for AF_INET6...
    Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: stanford-online.stanford.edu
    Resolving stanford-online.stanford.edu for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server stanford-online.stanford.edu[171.64.115.119]:80 ...
    Cache size set to 320 KBytes
    Connected to server: stanford-online.stanford.edu
    Cache fill: 0.02% (0 bytes)

    Exiting... (End of file)
    shanghai:~$

    The same on x86... :-(
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    >>>>> "s" == silverdr <silverdr@inet.remove.it.pl> writes:

    s> shanghai:~$ mplayer
    s> 'http://stanford-online.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.asx'
    s> *b0rk*

    Works here:

    Spike [/Users/pelle] > mplayer -dumpstream http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv
    MPlayer dev-CVS-041212-12:40-3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
    AltiVec found
    CPU: PowerPC

    Playing http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv.
    Resolving lang.stanford.edu for AF_INET6...
    Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: lang.stanford.edu
    Resolving lang.stanford.edu for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server lang.stanford.edu[171.64.115.101]:80 ...
    Resolving lang.stanford.edu for AF_INET6...
    Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: lang.stanford.edu
    Resolving lang.stanford.edu for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server lang.stanford.edu[171.64.115.101]:80 ...
    Stream bitrate properties object
    Max bandwidth set to 0
    Resolving lang.stanford.edu for AF_INET6...
    Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: lang.stanford.edu
    Resolving lang.stanford.edu for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server lang.stanford.edu[171.64.115.101]:80 ...
    Cache size set to 180 KBytes
    Connected to server: lang.stanford.edu
    Stream not seekable!

    --
    ___ . . . . . + . . o
    _|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
    o-o . . . o + MagerValp@cling.gu.se
    - + + . http://www.cling.gu.se/~cl3polof/
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    MagerValp wrote:

    > Works here:

    > Spike [/Users/pelle] > mplayer -dumpstream
    > http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/ee380/050518-ee380-100.wmv
    > MPlayer dev-CVS-041212-12:40-3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
    > AltiVec found [..]

    hm, that made me wonder what's wrong.. I swapped the connection (ISP)
    and in fact it worked after that. I think I'll have to check with the
    ISP. Thanks a lot.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "silverdr" <silverdr@inet.remove.it.pl> wrote in message
    news:428f2836@news.inet.com.pl...
    > hm, that made me wonder what's wrong.. I swapped the connection (ISP)
    > and in fact it worked after that. I think I'll have to check with the
    > ISP. Thanks a lot.

    I've also had some strange unreachable parts of the internet yesterday.
    Some apparently attribute it to flooding of the internet backbones with Star
    Wars ep3 rips.

    --
    White Flame (aka David Holz)
    http://www.white-flame.com/
    (spamblock in effect)
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Batman wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Where do you want it upload to
    >
    > Bushflat
    >

    I think I already have it. Could you please let me know what's the exact
    length of your file. I ask because I am not completely sure if I got
    everything...
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "silverdr" <silverdr@inet.remove.it.pl> wrote in message
    news:428fa6ce$1@news.inet.com.pl...
    > Batman wrote:
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Where do you want it upload to
    > >
    > > Bushflat
    > >
    >
    > I think I already have it. Could you please let me know what's the exact
    > length of your file. I ask because I am not completely sure if I got
    > everything...

    It's 50-odd megabyte.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "Clockmeister" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    news:428fd116$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
    > It's 50-odd megabyte.

    A .torrent or .ed2k would be greatly appreciated. :)

    --
    White Flame (aka David Holz)
    http://www.white-flame.com/
    (spamblock in effect)
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Clockmeister wrote:

    >>I think I already have it. Could you please let me know what's the exact
    >>length of your file. I ask because I am not completely sure if I got
    >>everything...
    >
    >
    > It's 50-odd megabyte.
    >

    56802188 bytes here.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    White Flame (aka David Holz) wrote:
    > "Clockmeister" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > news:428fd116$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
    >
    >>It's 50-odd megabyte.
    >
    >
    > A .torrent or .ed2k would be greatly appreciated. :)
    >

    ed2k://|file|Jeri_Ellsworth_Stanford_lecture.wmv|56802188|9740E4A0A5CAB310560D3B35B8C00BC0|/
Ask a new question