Network socket error

I've been trying to set up my new 5504 using dial-up, but after 5-10 minutes
I keep getting this 'Connection Failed' 'ReplayTV was unable to connect to
the ReplayTV service to get local phone numbers and tv channels.' and then
it says 'Network socket error' Does anyone know what the problem is?

tia
pb
6 answers Last reply
More about network socket error

    "Pooh Bear" <lovhony@aohell.com> wrote in message
    > I've been trying to set up my new 5504 using dial-up, but after 5-10
    > minutes I keep getting this 'Connection Failed' 'ReplayTV was unable to
    > connect to the ReplayTV service to get local phone numbers and tv
    > channels.' and then it says 'Network socket error' Does anyone know what
    > the problem is?
    >
    > tia
    > pb

    I've tried a couple more times to connect and now I get
    'Unexpected result code (84420005)' as well as 'Network socket error'

    Is it my replay or is the problem on the other end of the connection? Is
    there anything I can do?

    pb

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:28:22 -0500, "Pooh Bear" <lovhony@aohell.com>
    wrote:

    >I've been trying to set up my new 5504 using dial-up, but after 5-10 minutes
    >I keep getting this 'Connection Failed' 'ReplayTV was unable to connect to
    >the ReplayTV service to get local phone numbers and tv channels.' and then
    >it says 'Network socket error' Does anyone know what the problem is?
    >
    >tia
    >pb

    Make sure your phoneline is connected and the Replay is dialing.
    Listen to a connected phone while it's trying. Does it dial? What sort
    of responce it it getting?

    Make sure your Replay is set up correctly. Is this a long-distance
    call (1+)? Does your location require 10-digit dialing? You have to
    set the Replay for these.

    Also, if several numbers are available to you, try different ones.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    > "Pooh Bear" <lovhony@aohell.com> wrote in message
    >> I've been trying to set up my new 5504 using dial-up, but after 5-10
    >> minutes I keep getting this 'Connection Failed' 'ReplayTV was unable to
    >> connect to the ReplayTV service to get local phone numbers and tv
    >> channels.' and then it says 'Network socket error' Does anyone know
    >> what the problem is?
    >>
    >> tia
    >> pb
    >>

    > I've tried a couple more times to connect and now I get
    > 'Unexpected result code (84420005)' as well as 'Network socket error'
    >
    > Is it my replay or is the problem on the other end of the connection? Is
    > there anything I can do?
    >
    > pb

    I still can't get this damn thing set up. Sometimes I can get as much as
    97% of guide data downloaded before the call fails, but usually it doesn't
    even get that far.
    I've used all of the available local numbers and have set the modem to 9.6K,
    14.4K, 19.2K, 24K, 28.8K, & 33.6K. I've moved the rtv close to a phone jack
    to use a short phone cord with no other phone devices plugged in anywhere
    else. What else can I do?

    Now I get 3 different error messages.
    'Network socket error.'
    'Unexpected result code (84420005)'
    'Unexpected result code (844c0002)'

    Help me, please.

    pb

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 04:05:29 -0500, "Pooh Bear" <lovhony@aohell.com>
    wrote:

    >"Pooh Bear" <lovhony@aohell.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Pooh Bear" <lovhony@aohell.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've been trying to set up my new 5504 using dial-up, but after 5-10
    >>> minutes I keep getting this 'Connection Failed' 'ReplayTV was unable to
    >>> connect to the ReplayTV service to get local phone numbers and tv
    >>> channels.' and then it says 'Network socket error' Does anyone know
    >>> what the problem is?
    >>>
    >>> tia
    >>> pb
    >>>

    >> I've tried a couple more times to connect and now I get
    >> 'Unexpected result code (84420005)' as well as 'Network socket error'
    >>
    >> Is it my replay or is the problem on the other end of the connection? Is
    >> there anything I can do?
    >>
    >> pb
    >>

    >I still can't get this damn thing set up. Sometimes I can get as much as
    >97% of guide data downloaded before the call fails, but usually it doesn't
    >even get that far.
    >I've used all of the available local numbers and have set the modem to 9.6K,
    >14.4K, 19.2K, 24K, 28.8K, & 33.6K. I've moved the rtv close to a phone jack
    >to use a short phone cord with no other phone devices plugged in anywhere
    >else. What else can I do?
    >
    >Now I get 3 different error messages.
    >'Network socket error.'
    >'Unexpected result code (84420005)'
    >'Unexpected result code (844c0002)'
    >

    >Help me, please.
    >
    >pb

    Is the Replay actually dialing (actually listen in on the phone line)?
    What happens after the dialing? Modem connection tones?

    You said it it got as much as 97% complete. I suppose that was just
    the Replay's progress message. There are often incorrect and it tries
    to continue for a long time after the actual failure. Do check the
    phoneline, see above.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    I've had problems with this, too. The modem seems far more sensitive to
    line noise than an average PC modem.

    One phone jack in my house was bad: it would introduce a clicking noise
    on the phone. It caused all sorts of havoc with the replay modem.

    Then, there were times when there was noise on the line, but it wasn't
    my problem. The phone company came out and fixed that, more than once.

    Try a brand-new ridiculously long cord, and temporarily wire it to
    different jacks in your house.

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    > Is the Replay actually dialing (actually listen in on the phone line)?

    Yes.

    > What happens after the dialing? Modem connection tones?

    I have no problem with the first call to get the local information.
    It's the second call, the local call, that won't complete.

    > You said it it got as much as 97% complete. I suppose that was just
    > the Replay's progress message.

    Well ya, cu'z there's no way for me to know how much has been downloaded or
    how much is left.

    > There are often incorrect and it tries
    > to continue for a long time after the actual failure.

    regardless, it calls and downloads some data for hours then fails

    > Do check the
    > phoneline, see above.

    Customer service said the error messages I was getting were because of noise
    on the line. btw - rtv no longer has an 800 number you have to call long
    distance. Someone I know suggested trying a dsl filter cuz ya never know.
    No luck. I'm giving up and driving 80 miles tonight to return this thing to
    the store I bought it from then I'm going to get a Tivo. I borrowed my
    sisters while she was in europe this spring and didn't have a problem with
    it.

    pb

    > --
    > Mark Lloyd
    > has a Replay 5xxx
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >
    > "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    > created and still runs this old universe is so
    > childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    > believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    > still fall for that scam."

Ptv Replaytv Connection ReplayTV Dial Up Connection Socket