DirecTivo and recording to DVD

Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it in
some special Direct TV format?

What would the quality be? That of a tape VCR or better?

Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    Jeff wrote:
    > Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it in
    > some special Direct TV format?
    >
    > What would the quality be? That of a tape VCR or better?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Jeff, without hacking the box, you can record to a DVD recorder only by
    utilizing the analog outputs and the "save to VCR" feature. Your
    recording will be analog, but I would expect that the quality would be
    quite a bit better than standard VCR tape, though less than pure digital.

    If you hack the box you can enable direct digital recording over a
    network if you so desire. Hacking it is not terribly difficult, but it
    does take some familiarity with linux and PC hardware.

    Randy S.

    In article <W_ope.81014$NC6.55788@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net>,
    "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:

    > Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it in
    > some special Direct TV format?

    Yes

    > What would the quality be? That of a tape VCR or better?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff Stevens
    > Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
    > jeff@stevens.com

    Simplest way is to use the record to VCR and hook it up to a DVD
    recorder. Then you get VCR quality due to the analog conversion,
    and 2 hours per DVD.

    Best way is to hack the machine:

    http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php#whatweneed

    Which keeps the recording digital all the way for excellent quality and
    4.5 hours per DVD.

    Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php#whatweneed

    Does this work with the new DirecTiVo software being rolled out?

    (I don't have a DTivo at the moment, being a UTV owner, but if that does
    and I get one then I'll want to hack it).

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org

    Jeff wrote:
    > Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it in
    > some special Direct TV format?
    >
    > What would the quality be? That of a tape VCR or better?
    >
    > Thanks.

    To add to what others have said here: DirecTivo is different from the
    rest of the Tivo boxes in that, as I understand, DirecTV Tivo boxes do
    not support TiVo-to-go (No transferring shows via a network connection
    to your PC) and the digital recording format is the one DirecTV uses
    straight off the satellite, not anything "standard".

    You can "Hack" the DirecTivo units, but yous gots to be smart...

    The simplest way is to record out of thew analog ports in the "record to
    VCR" mode. Use the S-video cable for best video quality. You have no
    choice with audio...

    Ack

    "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote in message
    > Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it in
    > some special Direct TV format?
    >
    > What would the quality be? That of a tape VCR or better?

    I just installed this setup this past week. I purchased a Magnavox combo DVD
    Recorder/VHS VCR. Thus far, I have recorded three shows from Tivo, the 3
    season finales on 5/22/05, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, and Extreme
    Makeover. I used the one hour setting for two shows, and the two hour
    setting for one show. I recorded these shows for a friend, so I didn't watch
    the full shows, I did watch a little bit. I found that DVD picture quality
    was much better than expected. I was pleasantly surprised. I used SVideo
    cabling, and left/right audio, rather than RF, which would degrade the
    picture. Sadly, you cannot capture digital sound on any consumer-level DVD
    recorder, since none of them have digital audio inputs (almost all have
    digital audio outputs), so you will be left with analog sound. Any other
    questions, feel free to ask.

    In article <1dj58d.lff.ln@spuddy.org>,
    usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris) wrote:

    > Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php#whatweneed
    >
    > Does this work with the new DirecTiVo software being rolled out?

    No, for the new 6.2 software a good starting point is here:

    http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/62slices.html

    > (I don't have a DTivo at the moment, being a UTV owner, but if that does
    > and I get one then I'll want to hack it).

    Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris) wrote:

    > > Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > > http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php#whatweneed
    > >
    > > Does this work with the new DirecTiVo software being rolled out?

    > No, for the new 6.2 software a good starting point is here:

    > http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/62slices.html

    If I'm reading that correctly, then that's more of a guide for upgrading
    a hacked 3.x or 4.x version to 6.2 software, retaining settings and
    shows. I was thinking more of how to a howto for hacking an
    unadulterated system which already has 6.2 on it.

    Heh, I guess I could always go backwards and use an older image and then
    upgrade that :-)

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org
    The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
    My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.

    Thank you. That is very helpful.

    --

    "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote in message
    >> Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it
    >> in some special Direct TV format?
    >>
    >> What would the quality be? That of a tape VCR or better?
    >
    > I just installed this setup this past week. I purchased a Magnavox combo
    > DVD Recorder/VHS VCR. Thus far, I have recorded three shows from Tivo, the
    > 3 season finales on 5/22/05, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, and
    > Extreme Makeover. I used the one hour setting for two shows, and the two
    > hour setting for one show. I recorded these shows for a friend, so I
    > didn't watch the full shows, I did watch a little bit. I found that DVD
    > picture quality was much better than expected. I was pleasantly surprised.
    > I used SVideo cabling, and left/right audio, rather than RF, which would
    > degrade the picture. Sadly, you cannot capture digital sound on any
    > consumer-level DVD recorder, since none of them have digital audio inputs
    > (almost all have digital audio outputs), so you will be left with analog
    > sound. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

    >> Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it
    >> in
    >> some special Direct TV format?
    >
    > Yes

    Not sure what you mean:
    "Yes" I can record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder OR
    "Yes" it is in some direct TV format and therefore I cannot record it?

    --

    "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In article <W_ope.81014$NC6.55788@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net>,
    > "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it
    >> in
    >> some special Direct TV format?
    >
    > Yes
    >

    >> What would the quality be? That of a tape VCR or better?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Jeff Stevens
    >> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
    >> jeff@stevens.com
    >
    > Simplest way is to use the record to VCR and hook it up to a DVD
    > recorder. Then you get VCR quality due to the analog conversion,
    > and 2 hours per DVD.
    >
    > Best way is to hack the machine:
    >
    > http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php#whatweneed
    >
    > Which keeps the recording digital all the way for excellent quality and
    > 4.5 hours per DVD.

    This is a dumb question but if I do not ask it I'll never know.

    I have a Hughes 40 DirectTV tivo. If I replaced its HD with a larger one,
    will things go crazy every time Tivo upgrades its software?

    --

    * Jeff Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > This is a dumb question but if I do not ask it I'll never know.
    >
    > I have a Hughes 40 DirectTV tivo. If I replaced its HD with a
    > larger one, will things go crazy every time Tivo upgrades its
    > software?

    No, it will work just fine. Of course you cant just go buy a HD and
    drop it in, there are a few steps necessary to make it work.

    http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

    --
    David

    * Jeff Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    >>> Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder
    >>> or is it in
    >>> some special Direct TV format?
    >>
    >> Yes
    >>

    > Not sure what you mean:
    > "Yes" I can record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD
    > recorder OR "Yes" it is in some direct TV format and therefore I
    > cannot record it?

    Well, both are true but not necessarily pertanent to your question.
    If you were trying to get the HD out and RIP the Tivo files, youd
    have an issue but thats not really what you were asking. You can
    always record any analog signal that is sent to the TV regardless of
    the format of the files on the Tivo, you can record them over an
    analog connection without issue, other than a slight difference in
    picture quality.

    --
    David

    "Ack" <acker_dackerly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Jeff wrote:
    > > Can I record what I have on my DirectTV Tivo to a DVD recorder or is it
    in
    > > some special Direct TV format?
    > >
    > > What would the quality be? That of a tape VCR or better?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > To add to what others have said here: DirecTivo is different from the
    > rest of the Tivo boxes in that, as I understand, DirecTV Tivo boxes do
    > not support TiVo-to-go (No transferring shows via a network connection
    > to your PC) and the digital recording format is the one DirecTV uses
    > straight off the satellite, not anything "standard".
    >
    > You can "Hack" the DirecTivo units, but yous gots to be smart...

    Hacking the DirecTivo isn't really too hard. I'm good with computers but
    pig-ignorant about Linux. Still, I had no problem installing the hacks and
    now I routinely transfer video from the DirecTivo to my computer and either
    drop them on my laptop to watch on planes when I travel, or burn them to
    DVDs.

    > The simplest way is to record out of thew analog ports in the "record to
    > VCR" mode. Use the S-video cable for best video quality. You have no
    > choice with audio...
    >
    > Ack

Ptv Tivo Tivo DVD