Multiple RTV Same Room

I've got two RTVs (and two remotes) in the same room. Is there some way to
have one respond only to one remote, and the other respond only to the other
remote. I'm hoping that's why there's a jumper header (marked JP1) in the
battery compartment of the remotes, but haven't found anything matching in
the RTVs.....
30 answers Last reply
More about multiple rtv room

    In article <Q8GdnUw-85rp-D_fRVn-gg@comcast.com>,
    "Joe Mamma" <joemamma@nospam.com> wrote:

    > I've got two RTVs (and two remotes) in the same room. Is there some way to
    > have one respond only to one remote, and the other respond only to the other
    > remote. I'm hoping that's why there's a jumper header (marked JP1) in the
    > battery compartment of the remotes, but haven't found anything matching in
    > the RTVs.....

    Or, you simply walk up to them and power one off and the other one on.
    That way, whenever you hit the power button on the remote, it'll turn
    the one off and the other one on.

    So at any given time, you'll have only one on--and that's the one that
    will respond to your remote.

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:23:12 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >In article <Q8GdnUw-85rp-D_fRVn-gg@comcast.com>,
    > "Joe Mamma" <joemamma@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I've got two RTVs (and two remotes) in the same room. Is there some way to
    >> have one respond only to one remote, and the other respond only to the other
    >> remote. I'm hoping that's why there's a jumper header (marked JP1) in the
    >> battery compartment of the remotes, but haven't found anything matching in
    >> the RTVs.....
    >
    >Or, you simply walk up to them and power one off and the other one on.
    >That way, whenever you hit the power button on the remote, it'll turn
    >the one off and the other one on.

    Note that this works for more than 2 Replays also, although you'll
    have to get up to control the "power" switches.

    >So at any given time, you'll have only one on--and that's the one that
    >will respond to your remote.

    True. One of the main functions of that "power" switch (lying, it does
    not switch power) is to control which remore codes are accepted. When
    "off" the unit accepts nothing but "power".

    For a more sophisticated system, there's RF converters that use
    stick-on emitters for individual control of the Replays.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    Yes, and I can't tell you what it is but it is in the FAQ's somewhere

    You can set a code, you do this by the simple trick of either

    1: Walking close enough to the replay that only one of them responds or

    2: Turning one on MANUALLY using the power button, just one

    Once you set that prefix code then all commands must be prefixed or the
    replay ignores them. IE: 02 POWER (Toggle power on replay #2)

    O1 Power (Toggle power on replay #1)

    Note, both replays must be so programmed but with DIFFERENT prefix numbers

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Yes, and I can't tell you what it is but it is in the FAQ's somewhere
    >
    > You can set a code, you do this by the simple trick of either
    >
    > 1: Walking close enough to the replay that only one of them responds or
    >
    > 2: Turning one on MANUALLY using the power button, just one
    >

    > Once you set that prefix code then all commands must be prefixed or the
    > replay ignores them. IE: 02 POWER (Toggle power on replay #2)
    >
    > O1 Power (Toggle power on replay #1)
    >
    > Note, both replays must be so programmed but with DIFFERENT prefix numbers

    What a pain in the hind quarters.
    I'm glad I'll only have one Replay.

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:36:01 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Yes, and I can't tell you what it is but it is in the FAQ's somewhere
    >
    >You can set a code, you do this by the simple trick of either
    >
    >1: Walking close enough to the replay that only one of them responds or
    >
    >2: Turning one on MANUALLY using the power button, just one
    >

    >Once you set that prefix code

    You haven't set a code yet. Also, remember that this needs to be done
    in FOUR places.

    >then all commands must be prefixed or the
    >replay ignores them. IE: 02 POWER (Toggle power on replay #2)
    >
    >O1 Power (Toggle power on replay #1)
    >
    >Note, both replays must be so programmed but with DIFFERENT prefix numbers

    Still no code setting...

    >Joe Mamma wrote:
    >> I've got two RTVs (and two remotes) in the same room. Is there some way to
    >> have one respond only to one remote, and the other respond only to the other
    >> remote. I'm hoping that's why there's a jumper header (marked JP1) in the
    >> battery compartment of the remotes, but haven't found anything matching in
    >> the RTVs.....

    If you have multiple Replays, each in its own room, you have none of these
    prefix worries. Luckily I had my housed wired with CAT6 sometime ago, so my
    Replays and DVArchive box communicate happily, each from their own private
    room.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Zardoz" <dawiz@oz.com> wrote in message

    > What a pain in the hind quarters.
    > I'm glad I'll only have one Replay.

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:50:16 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >If you have multiple Replays, each in its own room, you have none of these
    >prefix worries. Luckily I had my housed wired with CAT6 sometime ago, so my
    >Replays and DVArchive box communicate happily, each from their own private
    >room.

    It also matters where the A/V sources are. That makes more difference
    when you have satellite TV (where you can't use splitters).

    >Regards,
    >
    >Margaret
    >
    >"Zardoz" <dawiz@oz.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What a pain in the hind quarters.
    >> I'm glad I'll only have one Replay.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    Well.... I've had two VCR's in the same room. I have 3 Replays, but no
    two of them in the same room. Does TIVO even have an option that
    assumes you might have 2 or 3 or more in the same room?

    Can you suggest a better way to have a remote control one, and only one,
    device?

    I may have been a bit innacurate... You send the prefix, you can then
    send multiple codes... For example 02-power on-replay
    guide-up/down-select-select-quick skip-fast forward-play-stop- and more,
    the perfix is "Stickey" till you send a new prefix command.

    Zardoz wrote:
    > "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yes, and I can't tell you what it is but it is in the FAQ's somewhere
    >>
    >>You can set a code, you do this by the simple trick of either
    >>
    >>1: Walking close enough to the replay that only one of them responds or
    >>
    >>2: Turning one on MANUALLY using the power button, just one
    >>

    >>Once you set that prefix code then all commands must be prefixed or the
    >>replay ignores them. IE: 02 POWER (Toggle power on replay #2)
    >>
    >>O1 Power (Toggle power on replay #1)
    >>
    >>Note, both replays must be so programmed but with DIFFERENT prefix numbers
    >

    > What a pain in the hind quarters.
    > I'm glad I'll only have one Replay.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

    Joe, I suspect what you are calling "Code" I'm calling "prefix"

    The full name being "Prefix Code" of course. Since I do not have
    multiple replays in the same room I'm aware of it but have no expierence
    with it.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:05:02 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Joe, I suspect what you are calling "Code" I'm calling "prefix"

    Sometimes you used one word, sometimes the other. I was just being
    more consistant. "Code" was the first word you used. "Prefix code" is
    OK. The point was that your message claimes to be giving instructions
    on setting such, but said nothing about the process of doing so.

    >The full name being "Prefix Code" of course. Since I do not have
    >multiple replays in the same room I'm aware of it but have no expierence
    >with it.

    Then why did you start the message with a claim that you were telling
    how (see "You can set a code, you do this by the simple trick of
    either")?

    >Joe wrote:
    >> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:36:01 GMT, John in Detroit
    >> <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes, and I can't tell you what it is but it is in the FAQ's somewhere
    >>>
    >>>You can set a code, you do this by the simple trick of either
    >>>
    >>>1: Walking close enough to the replay that only one of them responds or
    >>>
    >>>2: Turning one on MANUALLY using the power button, just one
    >>>

    >>>Once you set that prefix code
    >>

    >> You haven't set a code yet. Also, remember that this needs to be done
    >> in FOUR places.
    >>

    >>>then all commands must be prefixed or the
    >>>replay ignores them. IE: 02 POWER (Toggle power on replay #2)
    >>>
    >>>O1 Power (Toggle power on replay #1)
    >>>
    >>>Note, both replays must be so programmed but with DIFFERENT prefix numbers
    >>>

    >> Still no code setting...

  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Joe Mamma wrote:
    > I've got two RTVs (and two remotes) in the same room. Is there some way to
    > have one respond only to one remote, and the other respond only to the other
    > remote. I'm hoping that's why there's a jumper header (marked JP1) in the
    > battery compartment of the remotes, but haven't found anything matching in
    > the RTVs.....

    It can be done with unit codes. Do a search on the Replay forum archives
    at avsforums.com for "unit codes". A Replay will ALWAYS respond to a
    remote with unit code 0. If you set it for unit 01, it will respond to
    the untouched remote or to a universal remote set for unit code 1. You
    can use JP1 to program some buttons on the original remote to switch
    unit codes or buy a universal. The problem with the original remote is
    that while it is readily programmable with a lot of memory, it has few
    buttons. Robman on the avsforums has a Philips remote designed for PVRs.
    Try remotecentral.com. He takes this unit (which has Replay and Tivo
    buttons) and extends the led for greater range, adds memory, and sets up
    the buttons to control 8 Tivos and 8 Replays and more. He also sells
    this unit on eBay ($30???). I have 3 Replays in the bedroom and use 1
    universal remote which has nice heft and a great button layout for
    navigating around shows and I use the modded Philips to switch between
    the individual Replays if necessary.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Well.... I've had two VCR's in the same room. I have 3 Replays, but no
    > two of them in the same room. Does TIVO even have an option that assumes
    > you might have 2 or 3 or more in the same room?
    >
    > Can you suggest a better way to have a remote control one, and only one,
    > device?

    Tivos and the remotes can be set to one of 10 codes (1-9 and 0) 0 is
    universal meaning that any Tivo set to 0 will accept a command from any
    remote and any remote set to 0 will control any Tivo. The current Tivo
    remotes have a 1-2 switch. I have mine set so that 1 controls one Tivo (set
    to code 3) and 2 controls the other (set to code 4). I just need to slide
    the switch to which ever tivo I want to control. I have a 3rd Tivo with the
    old remote that I have set to code 7.

    I could have 9 Tivo's all set to different codes, but I'd need several
    remotes to control them or change the code on a single remote every time.

    > I may have been a bit innacurate... You send the prefix, you can then send
    > multiple codes... For example 02-power on-replay
    > guide-up/down-select-select-quick skip-fast forward-play-stop- and more,
    > the perfix is "Stickey" till you send a new prefix command.

    Now that you say it that way, I guess it wouldn't be so bad.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Gee, with a replay you could have nine in the same room and control them
    all with the same remote... Much easier in my opinion

    Another option with replay, I don't know if TIVO can do this. Most
    functions (nearly all) I can control from a different room, For example,
    I have a Replay normally in my basement (That is the one boxed for
    return) and I normally watch TV on a daisy chained tv (SImply means down
    stream from the replay) in my bedroom, 1 floor up, I control it with my
    laptop, using the remote feature in DV-Archive. It can control any
    single replay. And you can invoke multiple incidencts of the remote so
    it can control every replay.

    In addition, if I"m say in, oh, Chicago (Visiting) and remember a show I
    want to record,,, So long as it's on tomorrow or later I can set my
    replay here in Detroit to record it via the internet.

    Very nice

    Zardoz wrote:
    > "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Well.... I've had two VCR's in the same room. I have 3 Replays, but no
    >>two of them in the same room. Does TIVO even have an option that assumes
    >>you might have 2 or 3 or more in the same room?
    >>
    >>Can you suggest a better way to have a remote control one, and only one,
    >>device?
    >

    > Tivos and the remotes can be set to one of 10 codes (1-9 and 0) 0 is
    > universal meaning that any Tivo set to 0 will accept a command from any
    > remote and any remote set to 0 will control any Tivo. The current Tivo
    > remotes have a 1-2 switch. I have mine set so that 1 controls one Tivo (set
    > to code 3) and 2 controls the other (set to code 4). I just need to slide
    > the switch to which ever tivo I want to control. I have a 3rd Tivo with the
    > old remote that I have set to code 7.
    >
    > I could have 9 Tivo's all set to different codes, but I'd need several
    > remotes to control them or change the code on a single remote every time.
    >

    >>I may have been a bit innacurate... You send the prefix, you can then send
    >>multiple codes... For example 02-power on-replay
    >>guide-up/down-select-select-quick skip-fast forward-play-stop- and more,
    >>the perfix is "Stickey" till you send a new prefix command.
    >>

    > Now that you say it that way, I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Gee, with a replay you could have nine in the same room and control them
    > all with the same remote... Much easier in my opinion

    You could with Tivo too. I did say "I could have 9 Tivo's all set to
    different codes, but I'd need several
    remotes to control them "

    Now here's the important part

    "or change the code on a single remote every time."

    You'd have to reprogram the remote for each one. It's just a matter of
    holding down two buttons at once then entering the 1 digit code. That's
    hardly any more of a pita than the Replay would be.

    > Another option with replay, I don't know if TIVO can do this. Most
    > functions (nearly all) I can control from a different room, For example, I
    > have a Replay normally in my basement (That is the one boxed for return)
    > and I normally watch TV on a daisy chained tv (SImply means down stream
    > from the replay) in my bedroom, 1 floor up, I control it with my laptop,
    > using the remote feature in DV-Archive. It can control any single replay.
    > And you can invoke multiple incidencts of the remote so it can control
    > every replay.

    I'd think most other methods used for controling things in other parts of
    the house using IR or RF would be a lot more convenient.

    > In addition, if I"m say in, oh, Chicago (Visiting) and remember a show I
    > want to record,,, So long as it's on tomorrow or later I can set my replay
    > here in Detroit to record it via the internet.
    >
    > Very nice

    A tivo connected to a home network can be programmed to record something via
    the internet even if it's on in an hour. Those Tivo's using dial-up are
    limited to schedule things only a day or so in advance. Tivo's make their
    daily call at any hour of the day at 24-30 hour intervals, not just during
    the wee hours of the night like Replay. So if my tivo just called in and
    then I schedule a program via the internet for 18 hours from now - it won't
    record unless a call is forced before that time. The older original models
    often called the Series 1 Tivos can't be programmed in this manner. But
    they can record by time and channel w/o a subscription.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:47:29 -0500, "Zardoz" <dawiz@oz.com> wrote:

    >"John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Gee, with a replay you could have nine in the same room and control them
    >> all with the same remote... Much easier in my opinion
    >
    >You could with Tivo too. I did say "I could have 9 Tivo's all set to
    >different codes, but I'd need several
    >remotes to control them "
    >
    >Now here's the important part
    >
    >"or change the code on a single remote every time."
    >
    >You'd have to reprogram the remote for each one. It's just a matter of
    >holding down two buttons at once then entering the 1 digit code. That's
    >hardly any more of a pita than the Replay would be.

    It would become even easier with a programmable, learning remote.

    [snip]

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Question,,, Do today's TIVO's require a subscription or are they
    pre-subscribed (like the earlier Replays) I was looking at the price tag
    yesterday for "The TIvo Box" at Best Buys,,, Just in passing

    Zardoz wrote:
    > "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gee, with a replay you could have nine in the same room and control them
    >>all with the same remote... Much easier in my opinion
    >

    > You could with Tivo too. I did say "I could have 9 Tivo's all set to
    > different codes, but I'd need several
    > remotes to control them "
    >
    > Now here's the important part
    >
    > "or change the code on a single remote every time."
    >
    > You'd have to reprogram the remote for each one. It's just a matter of
    > holding down two buttons at once then entering the 1 digit code. That's
    > hardly any more of a pita than the Replay would be.
    >

    >>Another option with replay, I don't know if TIVO can do this. Most
    >>functions (nearly all) I can control from a different room, For example, I
    >>have a Replay normally in my basement (That is the one boxed for return)
    >>and I normally watch TV on a daisy chained tv (SImply means down stream
    >>from the replay) in my bedroom, 1 floor up, I control it with my laptop,
    >>using the remote feature in DV-Archive. It can control any single replay.
    >>And you can invoke multiple incidencts of the remote so it can control
    >>every replay.
    >

    > I'd think most other methods used for controling things in other parts of
    > the house using IR or RF would be a lot more convenient.
    >

    >>In addition, if I"m say in, oh, Chicago (Visiting) and remember a show I
    >>want to record,,, So long as it's on tomorrow or later I can set my replay
    >>here in Detroit to record it via the internet.
    >>
    >>Very nice
    >>

    > A tivo connected to a home network can be programmed to record something via
    > the internet even if it's on in an hour. Those Tivo's using dial-up are
    > limited to schedule things only a day or so in advance. Tivo's make their
    > daily call at any hour of the day at 24-30 hour intervals, not just during
    > the wee hours of the night like Replay. So if my tivo just called in and
    > then I schedule a program via the internet for 18 hours from now - it won't
    > record unless a call is forced before that time. The older original models
    > often called the Series 1 Tivos can't be programmed in this manner. But
    > they can record by time and channel w/o a subscription.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > pre-subscribed (like the earlier Replays) I was looking at the price tag
    > yesterday for "The TIvo Box" at Best Buys,,, Just in passing

    They are not now nor have they ever been (as far as I know) pre-subscribed.
    If the price was very high, maybe it was a combo unit or HD Tivo.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>You'd have to reprogram the remote for each one. It's just a matter of
    >>holding down two buttons at once then entering the 1 digit code. That's
    >>hardly any more of a pita than the Replay would be.
    >>

    > It would become even easier with a programmable, learning remote.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > --
    > Mark Lloyd

    Yes it would, but that's outside the realm of Tivo and ReplayTv.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I am still learning the Replay machine, but with multiple replays, be it in
    the same room or in different rooms in the house, can't you control
    programming and watch what you want from one replay? Most of the time you
    wouldn't need to directly control the other replays.

    For example: 3 replays in the bedroom Top | Middle | Bottom
    You use the top replay for watching TV and playing back shows. When you
    record a show, don't you have the option to have it record to another
    replay? Record CSI to Middle replay, watch CSI from Middle replay. You see
    where I am going with this.

    Hopefully I can sit down and read FAQs and more of the manual soon to learn
    what I am missing.

    Just my two cents
    "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Joe Mamma wrote:
    >> I've got two RTVs (and two remotes) in the same room. Is there some way
    >> to have one respond only to one remote, and the other respond only to the
    >> other remote. I'm hoping that's why there's a jumper header (marked JP1)
    >> in the battery compartment of the remotes, but haven't found anything
    >> matching in the RTVs.....
    > It can be done with unit codes. Do a search on the Replay forum archives
    > at avsforums.com for "unit codes". A Replay will ALWAYS respond to a
    > remote with unit code 0. If you set it for unit 01, it will respond to the
    > untouched remote or to a universal remote set for unit code 1. You can use
    > JP1 to program some buttons on the original remote to switch unit codes or
    > buy a universal. The problem with the original remote is that while it is
    > readily programmable with a lot of memory, it has few buttons. Robman on
    > the avsforums has a Philips remote designed for PVRs. Try
    > remotecentral.com. He takes this unit (which has Replay and Tivo buttons)
    > and extends the led for greater range, adds memory, and sets up the
    > buttons to control 8 Tivos and 8 Replays and more. He also sells this unit
    > on eBay ($30???). I have 3 Replays in the bedroom and use 1 universal
    > remote which has nice heft and a great button layout for navigating around
    > shows and I use the modded Philips to switch between the individual
    > Replays if necessary.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Danny Hobbs wrote:
    > I am still learning the Replay machine, but with multiple replays, be it in
    > the same room or in different rooms in the house, can't you control
    > programming and watch what you want from one replay? Most of the time you
    > wouldn't need to directly control the other replays.
    >
    > For example: 3 replays in the bedroom Top | Middle | Bottom
    > You use the top replay for watching TV and playing back shows. When you
    > record a show, don't you have the option to have it record to another
    > replay? Record CSI to Middle replay, watch CSI from Middle replay. You see
    > where I am going with this.
    >
    > Hopefully I can sit down and read FAQs and more of the manual soon to learn
    > what I am missing.
    >
    > Just my two cents
    > "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Joe Mamma wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've got two RTVs (and two remotes) in the same room. Is there some way
    >>>to have one respond only to one remote, and the other respond only to the
    >>>other remote. I'm hoping that's why there's a jumper header (marked JP1)
    >>>in the battery compartment of the remotes, but haven't found anything
    >>>matching in the RTVs.....
    >>
    >>It can be done with unit codes. Do a search on the Replay forum archives
    >>at avsforums.com for "unit codes". A Replay will ALWAYS respond to a
    >>remote with unit code 0. If you set it for unit 01, it will respond to the
    >>untouched remote or to a universal remote set for unit code 1. You can use
    >>JP1 to program some buttons on the original remote to switch unit codes or
    >>buy a universal. The problem with the original remote is that while it is
    >>readily programmable with a lot of memory, it has few buttons. Robman on
    >>the avsforums has a Philips remote designed for PVRs. Try
    >>remotecentral.com. He takes this unit (which has Replay and Tivo buttons)
    >>and extends the led for greater range, adds memory, and sets up the
    >>buttons to control 8 Tivos and 8 Replays and more. He also sells this unit
    >>on eBay ($30???). I have 3 Replays in the bedroom and use 1 universal
    >>remote which has nice heft and a great button layout for navigating around
    >>shows and I use the modded Philips to switch between the individual
    >>Replays if necessary.

    yes, but to set up themes, accept show sends, send shows (if you don't
    use the Poopli updater), you have to go tot he individual replays.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:23:40 -0500, "Zardoz" <dawiz@oz.com> wrote:

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>You'd have to reprogram the remote for each one. It's just a matter of
    >>>holding down two buttons at once then entering the 1 digit code. That's
    >>>hardly any more of a pita than the Replay would be.
    >>>

    >> It would become even easier with a programmable, learning remote.
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >
    >Yes it would, but that's outside the realm of Tivo and ReplayTv.

    Outside the Realm? You're using it with that DVR. It's no more
    "outside the realm" than DVArchive is.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:47:22 -0600, "Danny Hobbs"
    <danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote:

    >I am still learning the Replay machine, but with multiple replays, be it in
    >the same room or in different rooms in the house, can't you control
    >programming and watch what you want from one replay? Most of the time you
    >wouldn't need to directly control the other replays.

    True (mostly). You can use one Replay as the main one, and keep the
    others where the remote signal can't get to them. Then you can still
    watch anything recorded on the other Replays from the first (through
    your network).

    However, there are still some things that cannot be done remotely,
    such as.

    % Setting up a source, and de-selecting channels (something that can
    need to be done often if you have satellite, it keeps adding stuff).

    % Creating theme channels (you can still watch the shows remotely,
    but you need local access to set up channels)

    % Deleting Replay channels (both theme and show)

    % controlling other Replay features

    >For example: 3 replays in the bedroom Top | Middle | Bottom
    >You use the top replay for watching TV and playing back shows. When you
    >record a show, don't you have the option to have it record to another
    >replay?

    Note that this does NOT work with theme channels, one of the most
    valuable Replay features.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:31:31 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Danny Hobbs wrote:
    >> I am still learning the Replay machine, but with multiple replays, be it in
    >> the same room or in different rooms in the house, can't you control
    >> programming and watch what you want from one replay? Most of the time you
    >> wouldn't need to directly control the other replays.
    >>
    >> For example: 3 replays in the bedroom Top | Middle | Bottom
    >> You use the top replay for watching TV and playing back shows. When you
    >> record a show, don't you have the option to have it record to another
    >> replay? Record CSI to Middle replay, watch CSI from Middle replay. You see
    >> where I am going with this.
    >>
    >> Hopefully I can sit down and read FAQs and more of the manual soon to learn
    >> what I am missing.
    >>
    >> Just my two cents
    >> "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>>It can be done with unit codes. Do a search on the Replay forum archives
    >>>at avsforums.com for "unit codes". A Replay will ALWAYS respond to a
    >>>remote with unit code 0. If you set it for unit 01, it will respond to the
    >>>untouched remote or to a universal remote set for unit code 1. You can use
    >>>JP1 to program some buttons on the original remote to switch unit codes or
    >>>buy a universal. The problem with the original remote is that while it is
    >>>readily programmable with a lot of memory, it has few buttons. Robman on
    >>>the avsforums has a Philips remote designed for PVRs. Try
    >>>remotecentral.com. He takes this unit (which has Replay and Tivo buttons)
    >>>and extends the led for greater range, adds memory, and sets up the
    >>>buttons to control 8 Tivos and 8 Replays and more. He also sells this unit
    >>>on eBay ($30???). I have 3 Replays in the bedroom and use 1 universal
    >>>remote which has nice heft and a great button layout for navigating around
    >>>shows and I use the modded Philips to switch between the individual
    >>>Replays if necessary.
    >>

    >yes, but to set up themes,

    and delete the ones you don't need anymore (some stations repeat stuff
    so much you get tired of it quickly).

    > accept show sends, send shows (if you don't
    >use the Poopli updater), you have to go tot he individual replays.

    I have 3 Replays, and use one to control the others when possible. I
    need to control the others locally somethims (although not nearly as
    often). It's unually not too hard to get up and operate the "power"
    buttons as necessary.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    The price was way more than I paid for my Replay, and it was a 40 hour
    machine NO mention of HD, I'm getting as close to apples and apples as I
    can.

    I'll be returning to Best Buys soon, will re-check the box

    Zardoz wrote:
    > "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Question,,, Do today's TIVO's require a subscription or are they
    >>pre-subscribed (like the earlier Replays) I was looking at the price tag
    >>yesterday for "The TIvo Box" at Best Buys,,, Just in passing
    >>

    > They are not now nor have they ever been (as far as I know) pre-subscribed.
    > If the price was very high, maybe it was a combo unit or HD Tivo.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>Yes it would, but that's outside the realm of Tivo and ReplayTv.
    >>

    > Outside the Realm? You're using it with that DVR. It's no more
    > "outside the realm" than DVArchive is.

    You are correct.
    Neither one serves a purpose in a discussion of "TRV does this..." and "Tivo
    does this..."
  26. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > The price was way more than I paid for my Replay, and it was a 40 hour
    > machine NO mention of HD, I'm getting as close to apples and apples as I
    > can.
    >
    > I'll be returning to Best Buys soon, will re-check the box

    The Bestbuy website has this 40 hour unit for $379.
    Humax TiVo® Series2 40.0GB DVR & DVD-R/-RW Recorder Combo
    How much is the ReplayTv with DVD-R/-RW?

    RTV's website and Tivo's website both sell their new 40 hour units for the
    same full price of $199

    I just bought a refurb 40hr unit for $13.26 (after rebate) from the replay
    website.
    I could get a 140 hour refurbed Tivo for free with the purchase of a 12
    month subscription gift card that would actually give me about 22 months of
    service.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Zardoz" <dewiz@ozzie.com> wrote

    > I could get a 140 hour refurbed Tivo

    Where did that come from?
    I meant 40 hour.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>Gee, with a replay you could have nine in the same room and control them
    >>all with the same remote... Much easier in my opinion
    >

    > You could with Tivo too. I did say "I could have 9 Tivo's all set to
    > different codes, but I'd need several
    > remotes to control them "
    >
    > Now here's the important part
    >
    > "or change the code on a single remote every time."
    >
    > You'd have to reprogram the remote for each one. It's just a matter of
    > holding down two buttons at once then entering the 1 digit code. That's
    > hardly any more of a pita than the Replay would be.

    Not necessary. The Philips remote I described as custom programmed by
    Robman or any programmable remote (JP1) enables you to use the remote
    w/o reprogramming. In the Philips case, PIP 1 makes it set for Replay
    unit code 1, PIP 2 sets it for unit code 2, etc. It will also do 9
    Tivos and 9 Sonys.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>>Gee, with a replay you could have nine in the same room and control them
    >>>all with the same remote... Much easier in my opinion
    >>

    >> You could with Tivo too. I did say "I could have 9 Tivo's all set to
    >> different codes, but I'd need several
    >> remotes to control them "
    >>
    >> Now here's the important part
    >>
    >> "or change the code on a single remote every time."
    >>
    >> You'd have to reprogram the remote for each one. It's just a matter of
    >> holding down two buttons at once then entering the 1 digit code. That's
    >> hardly any more of a pita than the Replay would be.
    >
    > Not necessary. The Philips remote I described as custom programmed by
    > Robman or any programmable remote (JP1) enables you to use the remote w/o
    > reprogramming. In the Philips case, PIP 1 makes it set for Replay unit
    > code 1, PIP 2 sets it for unit code 2, etc. It will also do 9 Tivos and 9
    > Sonys.

    Or you could hire 9 albino asian midgets to do everthing.
    What some other product can do is not relevant to what RTV & Tivo can do.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>Not necessary. The Philips remote I described as custom programmed by
    >>Robman or any programmable remote (JP1) enables you to use the remote w/o
    >>reprogramming. In the Philips case, PIP 1 makes it set for Replay unit
    >>code 1, PIP 2 sets it for unit code 2, etc. It will also do 9 Tivos and 9
    >>Sonys.
    >

    > Or you could hire 9 albino asian midgets to do everthing.
    > What some other product can do is not relevant to what RTV & Tivo can do.

    Are you stupid or something? Maybe a troll? You do not need 9 remotes OR
    have to "program the remote each time" as you stated with either Replay
    or Tivo. Quick, Dad's home, get away from the computer.

Ptv Replaytv ReplayTV Product