Sharing 2 monitors between 2 computers in different configurations

ljsummerlin

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
I have a laptop (for work) and a desktop PC (for personal use) that I use side by side in my home office. I'm thinking of purchasing 2 Dell P2414H 24" monitors with a dual monitor stand. I'd like to be able to use the computers/monitors in these configurations:

1) Both screens for the laptop (with laptop in a docking station) 2) One screen for the laptop and one for the desktop 3) Both screens for the desktop (not absolutely required)

Ideally I'd share one USB keyboard and mouse between the two computers.

Both computers are running Windows 7.

Can I accomplish this with a KVM switch, and if so, what kind do I need? Do I need any software? How cumbersome is the switching - especially in the 2nd scenario where I'd like to be able to see both the laptop and desktop displays at the same time, but will have to switch the keyboard to go back and forth between them. Suggestions are welcome.

I've also read about software KVM switches but I believe my computers would both have to be on the same network - and they're not.

An alternate scenario would be to NOT share the keyboard and mouse (could use the laptop undocked, for example, with its keyboard and a separate keyboard for the desktop). In this case, would I need a KVM switch or could I accomplish the same result (of sharing the two monitors in different configurations) using different ports on the monitors? Each monitor has VGA, DVI-D and DisplayPort connections.

Thank you!

Lisa

Solution
I would just do remote desktop connection instead. Dock the laptop, have both screens, want to connect to the desktop, remote connect to it, or vice versa. Remote desktop doesn't work for gaming, but for most other things it's fine and same keyboard, mouse, screens, speakers, whatever can all be shared. By far the easiest solution.

I ran a PC repair shop for a while and during some peak times, we would have 5-10 computers in all at once for virus scans/cleaning, etc. Install teamview, remove monitor, keyboard, mouse, keep power and network, and could remote into 10 different PC's all at once using my desktop. Way easier than trying to keep 10 keyboard/mouse/monitors going, less space, etc. Sometimes virus cleaning could take...
I would just do remote desktop connection instead. Dock the laptop, have both screens, want to connect to the desktop, remote connect to it, or vice versa. Remote desktop doesn't work for gaming, but for most other things it's fine and same keyboard, mouse, screens, speakers, whatever can all be shared. By far the easiest solution.

I ran a PC repair shop for a while and during some peak times, we would have 5-10 computers in all at once for virus scans/cleaning, etc. Install teamview, remove monitor, keyboard, mouse, keep power and network, and could remote into 10 different PC's all at once using my desktop. Way easier than trying to keep 10 keyboard/mouse/monitors going, less space, etc. Sometimes virus cleaning could take hours, especailly on older PC's. Great to remote into them and check on progress, start another scan, etc.

Solution

ljsummerlin

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks, getochkn. I'm still waiting for my new monitors to arrive, but I tested out Teamviewer with my laptop and my current single monitor for the desktop. It was very easy to set up and it works great!