DVDs.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
4 answers Last reply
More about series2 recorder directv

    "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    news:AvWdnY_TUpVqOj7fRVn-pQ@giganews.com...
    > Does anyone make a series 2 Tivo record with an integrated
    > DirecTV tuner? I want to be able to transfer video content to a
    > PC using the TV Desktop software, for editing and then burning to
    > DVDs.

    While the current crop of DirecTV DVR receivers with TiVo service are on the
    same base hardware as Series 2 machines, that's not the holdup. DirecTV
    won't release the software to enable the features the hardware is capable
    of.

    You could hack the unit to add those capabilities, or wait and hope DirecTV
    sends them our way.

    So if I don't want to hassle with hacking the machine, I need to
    get the regular Series2 DVR and combine it with a separate tuner?

    --
    Will
    Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

    > So if I don't want to hassle with hacking the machine, I need to
    > get the regular Series2 DVR and combine it with a separate tuner?

    If transferring to your PC is more important than 2 tuners, lower monthly
    service rate and availability of DolbyDigital sound.

    Me personally, I would stick with a DirecTiVo and use a video capture on the
    PC rather than a regular DirecTV receiver and standalone.

    Or, a standalone DVD burner attached to the output of the DirecTiVo.

    > "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    >> So if I don't want to hassle with hacking the machine, I need to
    >> get the regular Series2 DVR and combine it with a separate tuner?
    >
    > If transferring to your PC is more important than 2 tuners, lower monthly
    > service rate and availability of DolbyDigital sound.
    >
    > Me personally, I would stick with a DirecTiVo and use a video capture on
    > the PC rather than a regular DirecTV receiver and standalone.
    >
    > Or, a standalone DVD burner attached to the output of the DirecTiVo.

    That's a decent solution. I just picked up a Magnavox combo DVD+R/RW/VCR and
    have used it to transfer a few shows to DVD, using the Save to VCR feature.
    It is not horribly inconvenient, and resulting picture quality (using
    SVIDEO) is much better than I would have expected.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video