Wired router help + recommendations for new one. (vid attatched)

DANiMALxxMD

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Yo! Recently, my D-Link DGL-4100 "Gamer Lounge" wired router stopped working (atleast I think). The WAN port on the router constantly blinks and the "ethernet" light on my MODEM, will blink, then turn off, then blink again. And it will do that repeatedly. So im assuming, something is wrong with the WAN port on the router. Running direct from my modem to my PC runs fine. Here is a video showing what it does:

http://

1. I focused my phone on Windows so you could see the network icons as well.
2. The green LEDs is my D-Link DCM-202 Cable Modem.
-Fromleft to right: Power,Cable,Status, Ethernet, USB
3.The Blue LEDs is the D-Link DGL-4100 wired router.
-From left to right: Power, WAN, and then the ports

Ive tried many different ethernet cables and they all do the same thing. Also, I get a "click" with all the other ports when putting in a cable, but not with the WAN port. I can also move the cable a decent amount.

So I guess with the above, I am just trying to clarify that the WAN port is bad/dead/defective which will render the router useless.

I went on to Newegg to browse wired routers, and it seemed to me that wired routers are no longer "in use". All of the products were very cheap and very few had gigabit ports. It was almost like browsing videos at a Blockbuster that was about to close down.

With that observation, I have to ask a possibly dumb question: Have wireless routers "taken over"? They are pretty much the same as a wired router except with the addition of wireless capabilities?

I have been looking at wireless routers and have my eye on this: http://

This router seems to be at the top of current Wi-Fi tech, but my household does not use Wi-Fi extensively at all. I connect to it on my phone, and my mom uses it for her Kindle. I want something quality to handle my wired connections, but all of the wired routers I have been looking at look cheap and dated. I guess what im trying to say is: Wireless capabilities aside, would this router be good for wired connections?

I game heavily on Xbox One, stream thru capabilities on the Xbox, normal PC Youtube use, Twitch.tv streams, Netflix via my Xbox, and I also use uTorrent as well. Here is a speed test if its needed:

I should also clarify that my network goes:

Modem->"broken dlink router"->PC
->Xbox One
->moms Roku box thingy
->To moms wireless Linksys E1200 router which then only goes to her PC.

Also, would the possibility of having 2 wireless routers cause any conflicts?

Sorry if this is long and confusing, any help/suggestions is appreciated!

I had the same DGL-4100 up to about 4 months ago or so. It's a great little router and lasted me many years and served me well. Alas, time will kill anything. I replaced it with the Asus RT-N66U which is the 802.11N version of the Asus router you listed. I have all my PC's and PS3 hardwired and only use the wireless for my son's iPod touch and cell phones. Asus makes some good routers and I don't think you will be disappointed in it. The setup is also very easy.

Enjoy your new router!

DANiMALxxMD

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks man!

I guess I should follow up by saying I use netflix, torrent music (legitimate sites of course), game, and so forth and have never had an issue with the router or speed. Do a search in the forums as there are plenty of posts on how to use multiple routers to extend your wifi range.

Now if this router lives as long as my DGL-4100, I'll be a happy camper.